Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Wested Jacket Opinions...

Post by michaelb »

Hello,

Got this jacket about a little over a year ago... $120 from, gee, been so long I forgot... Either Kobold (SP) or Holt, and love it. Custom Wested Lambskin that just didn't fit him. I took the gamble from the measurements given, and couldn't believe how nice it looked out of the box. He was even kind enough to email me to make sure I was happy with it. I told him I loved it. Man it was like butter when I put it on... Never had a lambskin jacket. I guess my only concern was that the sleeves are a tad long, but no big deal and easily remedied, and getting use to the length, (eighties cut/military cut) is what is worrying me. I just tucked my shirt in before these were taken, so I should have probably pulled the jeans down a bit, but they were at a comfortable level as far as I could tell. I didn't hike them up or anything. Just wanted opinions as far as the look and the length. Again, love this jacket, just hope it isn't too short, front or back.

Thanks!

Mike
Last edited by michaelb on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Wested Jacket Opinions...

Post by maboot38 »

Looks GREAT!!!! I like the way it looks on you.
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Thanks Maboot!

Mike
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Certainly not too short. I'd say it looks perfect all the way around. I like the sleeve length too. Nothing like reaching for the idol and having the sleeves being half way up your forearm. IMO, that's how long a jacket sleeve should be, because the moment you reach up or out (like riding a motorcycle or horse) it will still hover around your wrists as it should.

I'd say that's one of the best fitting jackets i've seen. you really lucked out. :TOH:
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Wow. Thanks Bash! Yeah, the sleeves really don't bother me, especially when I lift my arms... They pull back quite a bit... I may just leave em.

M
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

I agree with the others. It looks just fine. Leather looks nice too. :TOH:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Looks great. Better to have the sleeves a bit too long than the opposite problem. In the picture, I'd say your jeans are sitting a bit too high on your waist. Jacket length looks good. And it is nicely distressed!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Appears to be a nicely broken in jacket with character marks to boot. Looks like a good fit. I had to get used to the sleeves over the wrist, but then again, maybe I was too used to the suit coat style? Just a preference thing, but I like the sleeves to the first nuckle of the thumb but not longer.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

looks great. not mine, but it really looks great.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

a question.

are you sure this is custom made?

it has some of the rack jacket details. like facings. bigger pockets. brass zipper. the armseam is lined up with the yoke...

not that it matters to me, its a wonderfull looking jacket...and i dont know how many people care about the details like th armseam anymore.. to me personally? the armseam lined up with the yoke like that makes more sence, that is the way I think the real raiders jacket should have been made..... but I like it better with the 1'' seam below the yoke ;)

I just noticed the details...

does it have a english flag somewhere inside the jacket?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The yoke and sleeve seam alignment was the way Wested was making the custom jackets recently. However, the rectangular sliders, (plain, not painted black), tend to suggest that it could have been a standard. :-k

Also, there are two options with the custom, the regular style and the Rotla-80's slim cut style. The regular is cut a bit fuller, with facings, etc.

Used to, the union jack was affixed to the Wested label, or yoke label. Today, it is near the breast pocket.
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Hello Mr. Holt,

Was told it was a custom. Not really sure... I Don't really pay attention to "all" the details. And yes, there is an English flag on the inner left pocket.

Thanks!

Mike
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Texan Scott wrote:The yoke and sleeve seam alignment was the way Wested was making the custom jackets recently. However, the rectangular sliders, (plain, not painted black), tend to suggest that it could have been a standard. :-k

Also, there are two options with the custom, the regular style and the Rotla-80's slim cut style. The regular is cut a bit fuller, with facings, etc.

Used to, the union jack was affixed to the Wested label, or yoke label. Today, it is near the breast pocket.
well yes. obviously I KNOW that... I wasnt asking about what wested offers :lol:

I was just wondering what he got... and I said that maby the REAL raiders jacket should acually be made with the ligned up yoke/sleeve like on his jacket...
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana Holt wrote:............d I said that maby the REAL raiders jacket should acually be made with the ligned up yoke/sleeve like on his jacket...
don't you mean the REAL raiders jacket should NOT be made with the lined up
yoke/sleeve?

Now if you mean it is normal for tailors and jacket makers to line up seams. then yes you are correct. For the actual REAL Raiders jacket of the movie, no.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

no I just ment. that maby when they made the jacket for the film they made a high yoke and forgot to or made a mistake by not lifting the amrseam to the yoke....

I dont know... actually I dont care all that much.. I kinda like it lined up but I want what is seen on screen. ;)

I was just reflecting alittle around the yoke/sleeve thing..
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

it has some of the rack jacket details. like facings. bigger pockets. brass zipper. the armseam is lined up with the yoke...
All the stuff you list above are included in a standard custom order today. You either have to order the ROLA 80's cut, or give a whole list of modifications. Otherwise, Wested defaults to all of the above mentioned details on custom orders.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

i'm not sure, but i think by having the seams align, it causes the jacket to bind up more across the back...that having the sleeve seam lower actually allows for more freedom of movement...

that's just my guess. maybe someone can confirm that or ...?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The custom (non-Rola, non-80's cut) and Standard will both be cut slightly fuller and have leather facings inside the jacket. The Standard will have gussets and the Custom will...if they were ordered. What differentiates the Standard from the custom will be the fact that the Standard will be made in India and the Standard will have the thinner, rectangular loops that are not painted.
Last edited by Texan Scott on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kobol
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kobol »

Hi, I remember selling that jacket to you. I purchased it from another member here. I was told it was custom. It was acquired before the ROLA specials and before the famous Holt specs. The tell-tell signs are the underarm gussetts and all cotton lining with UK label. Holt was designing his LC jacket when I purchased this jacket if I remember correctly. I was told that the custom specs were mainly in the sizing with the addition of gussetts and all cotton lining, but not much else (it wasn't a grocery list spec jacket). The other member also performed the distressing. It was a nice jacket but didn't fit me right. I solved that by getting a new Wested horsehide Raiders plus a G&B Expedition. But right now, I guess I am comitting heresy in that I have been wearing my horsehide Dr. Who / Das Boot jacket from Wested lately. I have taken quite a liking to this new jacket.

I like the fit and think it looks good on you. I hope you are still happy with your purchase.
Thanks.
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Hello Kobol!

Thanks for clearing that up. And thanks again for an awesome jacket. Yup, still love it!

Michael :TOH:
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

That jacket looks just fine to me. It appears to have enough room in the shoulders and sleeves so as not to restrict movement. The body is long enough to cover the waistband of your pants, but not so long that you'll be sitting on it if you wear it while driving. Some might say the sleeves are a tad long, but you'll get used to that (if you haven't already) and come to appreciate it when you reach forward to grab something and the sleeve doesn't ride halfway up your arm. And the look--nothing like a little natural weathering to bring out the true beauty of a leather jacket! I'd say you got a great jacket that should serve you well for years to come.