1990 David Morgan Bullwhip FOR FREE!!!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

darksideman13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

1990 David Morgan Bullwhip FOR FREE!!!

Post by darksideman13 »

I will say right now that I have never had any sort of luck with anything. I never win contest or drawing or even bingo. But this week at school, I'm sitting in physics class trying to learn about sound waves and all that fun stuff when my teacher pulls out a 1990 3 foot bullwhip and starts explaining. Well now I'm totally interested. And then he tries to crack it. VERY unsuccessfully. I laugh and tell him I know how. He doesn't believe me and I come up and do coachmans, cattleman's, fast and slow figure 8, and a bunch more and blow his mind. Then I sat down and he goes on with the class. When the bell rings he pulls me to the side and tells me to come see him after school. When I got there after school he hands me the whip and says that he talked to the science board and they will get a new one and I can have this one. The catch was that I have to come in and teach the teachers how to use it. So next week Im going in to discuss the different whips they could buy. I think Im going to recommend a nylon one because the DM whip is REALLY beat up. I don't know if its ever had any sort of dressing. It feels SUPER dry. So I might spend the next few months just coating it with pecards. Other problems are black gunk on the handle, the end of the thong is all beat up, the fall is attached with tape, and just a number of other issues. So that was my Friday. Pretty great. Anyone have any suggestions for dressing the leather other than what I'm doing? Thanks for reading. Ill get pictures up ASAP!
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: 1990 David Morgan Bullwhip FOR FREE!!!

Post by DarenHenryW »

That is a great story! I teach high school, actually (English, not science), and I had a similar experience with the physics teacher on campus. We were talking one day and he told me had a whip he cracked for his class. It wasn't a DM or anything. It was some sort of very cheap stock whip, something like 3 or 4 feet. He also was VERY unsuccessful in cracking it. So last year I brought one of my whips by and showed him and his class how its done.

I love your story! I think its so cool too that they not only gave you the whip, but are going to have you teach them and recommend for them what other kind of whip they should have. Bravo, my friend! Well done!

Daren Henry W :whip:
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

That was a good story and congratulations on landing the Morgan. Use very light coats of the Pecards. Several light coats are better than a couple of very heavy coats. I have over saturated an old whip before by applying to much at one time.

Jim
A.J. Cairo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by A.J. Cairo »

I can't really give you any advise on your question, but that was a great story! I think you're lucky not only to get the chance to show off your whip cracking skills in front of your class, but also to get the free whip from your teacher and to get the opportunity to instruct them on proper whip handling/care! Congratulations! :whip: :notworthy:
bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bobm2004 »

I bet that felt excellent to take the whip and crank through a routine!! Totally awesome story!!
Miloh
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Miloh »

That, most assuredly, was an awesome story that you will remember throughout the rest of your life. Now, every time someone else sees this whip, you can share with them that moment of your history. Way cooler than saying "Oh this whip here? Yea, I bought that from so-and-so".

You definitely should find out about it's history as much as you can. Find out how, when, and where your school got it. If it was bought used or from DM directly. I would say do your best to find out it's history and life. It will help you know it's "personality", moreover, make for an even better story when you tell people about the whip.

Sorry, I dont mean to get all sentimental, I just love things with a great story and a great history behind them! Kudos to you!
Indy1024
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy1024 »

dude, youre lucky! i wish i could've had that opportunity (to show people how its done)!!! well, i cant do the 8 one.. =(
but thats awesome! nice! :clap: :D
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

That was a great story - wish I could have been in the class when it all went down. I bet the instructor's jaw dropped when you showed him how it was done.
darksideman13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by darksideman13 »

He was very surprised that I knew how to use a whip. I heard some chuckles from the class like "I wonder what he does on his weekends ;) " It was fun either way. I emailed my teacher to ask some questions about its history. Thanks for the idea Miloh! It belonged to a teacher who work at my school many years ago. And he donated it to the school. Im getting his email address to find out more information. And I gave more thought to the kind of whip they should get. I was thinking maybe a 3-4 foot nylon stock whip. That way if they find a way to destroy it, all hope is not lost. Any ideas or suggestions?
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Congratulations, Great story behind it too… Its fun to get to show off a bit sometimes!

Looking forward to seeing photos of the whip and hearing more about its history. The photos will also give a better idea of what kind care and restoration work to recommend. Typically a gentle cleaning with a quality saddle soap and a treatment or two with leather dressing will do wonders, but depending on whatever that black gunk is and given the condition of the point and fall ,the whip may need some special attention and repair.

As for a potential replacement, a 3 to 4ft nylon bullwhip (or performance hybrid) made by a reputable whip maker would be a suitable choice. Typically I’d recommend longer (5 or 6ft) but since its being used in a classroom setting, I am guessing spacing is limited. Nylon would certainly require less maintenance and be a bit friendlier to the budget then leather.

Dan
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Steve Huntress's baby bull is perfect for this! I should know I use that whip in my high school physics class. My son actually won the county's science fair using this whip and demonstrating sonic booms. I suggest using a larger whip as well and take them to the gym. 10 foot bullwhip + gym acoustics=blown away students!!!! :whip: :shock: My kids never look at me the same after the whip lab. :anxious: Then I bring the 20 foot tall trebuchet and they know they are dealing with a teacher with questionable responsibility...and they LOVE it! This is a great story.

Travis
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Congrats this is a great story! It must've been really fun to crack the whip in front of the class! And you got a free whip! Can't wait to see those pics :)
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Very cool story! Do you happen to have a picture of the whip, I would love to see it? And congrats' by the way!

- Paul
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Congratulations on your free find! And like Paul said "Show us some pictures!" ;)

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Wow! That is such an awesome story!!! :clap:

Congrats on the whip! \:D/ :whip:
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

What a fun story! Do you have pics you can show us?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I didn't even know DM made 3 footers. Congrats!

Kyle
cabbynum
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by cabbynum »

Hollowpond wrote:Steve Huntress's baby bull is perfect for this! I should know I use that whip in my high school physics class. My son actually won the county's science fair using this whip and demonstrating sonic booms. I suggest using a larger whip as well and take them to the gym. 10 foot bullwhip + gym acoustics=blown away students!!!! :whip: :shock: My kids never look at me the same after the whip lab. :anxious: Then I bring the 20 foot tall trebuchet and they know they are dealing with a teacher with questionable responsibility...and they LOVE it! This is a great story.

Travis
and plus leaving the classroom is allways fun it adds a little spin in our day.

My science teacher has a 12 ft 8 plait cowhide bullwhip he siad he owuld give me if i average an A in his class for the year.

so i am hoping it allworks out
i have already cracked it and it is awesome a really good whip :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Nice story, but what about the pictures? Hmmm... :-k