So I'm guessing no one checks out the main site anymore?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

So I'm guessing no one checks out the main site anymore?

Post by Mike »

I'm a bit surprised there's been no talk about the latest update. You guys asleep at the wheel? ;)
whipwarrior

Re: So I'm guessing no one checks out the main site anymore?

Post by whipwarrior »

The Last Crusade jacket story!!! YES!!! I have some reading to do!!! :D :D :D
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I love the part about how Leather Concessionaires changed its name supposedly to 'fly under the radar'. :lol:
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

That's just supposition…as stated…so lets not start an incendiaries. ;)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

No, it's cool. I just laughed out loud when I read that part because the phrasing amused me. :lol:
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Nice write up. I'm surprised to read the poor performance of Cooper with the licensed jackets. Around the same time Cooper was making A-2 jackets for the USAF. The Airforce had been working to return to the A-2 and finally did officially in 1988. Cooper was the sole company to provide these jackets to the USAF. They actually began doing so prior to 1988, I have personally seen their Airforce A-2 with a 1986 date. At the same time Cooper also provided a slightly altered A-2 to the Israeli Airforce. Cooper's A-2s were of very good quality, and they made a ton of them. You can still find these early jackets on eBay in very fine (but used) condition.
Could it be they put their all in the A-2's and were less concerned with the contract Indy jackets?
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

Very interesting!!
I'm not English, but I find the term 'dodgy' is appropriate with regards to the name change from Leather Consessionaires to Wested.....Yikes!!! But I still love my Wested washed goat LC. I'm wearing it now in fact. It's a fine jacket and not at all 'dodgy'.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

A very interesting account of events. It's nice to finally be able to fully understand and appreciate Lee Keppler's contribution to proceedings. Well done to all involved! :clap:
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

That is an outstanding write-up. I did not know it was really Lee's jacket design that they really wanted. Peter just ended up making the design they wanted. This makes me wonder who to go to for an LC jacket. Awesome write-up I am stunned. :o
Great and valuable information in there that I have never heard before, well maybe a bit before, very good, excellent, thanks for pointing the new LC write-up Mike.

IndianaChris
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

IndianaChris711 wrote:........... This makes me wonder who to go to for an LC jacket. ............
IndianaChris

Take a look at the offerings, that might help your wonder.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Great to see this write-up and it was very enjoyable reading. Thanks for the heads-up on its existence.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

RCSignals wrote:
IndianaChris711 wrote:........... This makes me wonder who to go to for an LC jacket. ............
IndianaChris

Take a look at the offerings, that might help your wonder.
Well a Wested would be the best bang for your buck right now. But then you have guys like Tony Nowak making jackets as well. A bit of a hard choice for me as I have two Wested Leather jackets and really like them both. I really would like an LC though, but this is a subject of a thread when I make one. I think it is very interesting that Lee's design was the one chosen for the film. Even though Peter did end up making the jackets for LC, the design is much Lee's design. This is mind blowing information.

BTW when is the KOTCS jacket write-up coming along. You still interviewing Tony Nowak for that? ;) You guys should have all the info for that. Just was wondering, no pressure. :anxious:

IndianaChris
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Being that we were actually "along for the ride" and an actual entity during CS, yes we have most of the information. We're compiling it now and I hope to have something shortly. But keep in mind we're working with multiple individuals and coordinating schedules/time to give, etc.. So short is always a relative term in IG-land. ;)
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

That was a really great write up guys. I found parts of it very very interesting. Especially the things involving Peter.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I have a question about this photo of what is being called the 'Bell Hop' jacket. this jacket does not seem to match previous descriptions I've read of that jacket, this one has side vents, and it appears to be a proper length.
could it be one of the follow on jackets? It looks more like the Keppler jacket that was made by Leather Concessionaires we have see pictures of, the jacket laid out on a table.

IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Great write up! What I love to wonder is how many out there have those mail order jackets? :-k I actually think I have an early Solider of Fortune with an ad. There's a true Indy hunt. Locate one of those babies!! :lol:

Sean :TOH:
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

RCSignals wrote:I have a question about this photo of what is being called the 'Bell Hop' jacket. this jacket does not seem to match previous descriptions I've read of that jacket, this one has side vents, and it appears to be a proper length.
could it be one of the follow on jackets? It looks more like the Keppler jacket that was made by Leather Concessionaires we have see pictures of, the jacket laid out on a table.
I don't think so as I don't see any snaps on the flaps. It would be better to get the original ad, but all Lee had was the photocopy. This was what he sent stating it was the ad, so he'd be best to answer the question.

Mike
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I see some TN shrunken lamb grain in that sleeve and pocket.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Any updates on the horizon for the other categories, like props? Sankara Stone? Cross of Coronado, et al?

DHW :-k
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

By 'follow on' jacket I do not mean the ones he developed later and had made by Flightsuits. He had another one or two jackets made by Leather Concessionaires following the Bell Hop, to try to get an accurate one. I don't believe he ever succeeded. I found photos of one of those jackets in the Internet Archive/way back machine and reposted them here a while back. The jacket laying on a table.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Very good background story.
It always amazes me that some props and costumes are not re-used from previous films. I know (they) reused a MKVII bag in Crystal Skull, but something like the jacket, you would think they would want to avoid the trouble - presuming the actor would still be able to fit in the wardrobe from movie to movie.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DarenHenryW wrote:Any updates on the horizon for the other categories, like props? Sankara Stone? Cross of Coronado, et al?

DHW :-k

I think the plan of attack might now be that I repost old information until I get new write-ups from my prop guys. I'm thinking that'll at least avoid blank pages.
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

The "Bellhop" jacket picture was on Peter's website briefly, and was sent to me by Peter. The side vents are the side seam opened up. the action back is sewn shut. Also note the shoulder seams. They are in the style of a suit jacket and the jacket has shoulder pads. I never used this photo for an ad. I did run a "New Product Release" in SOF magazine for the jacket that FS made for me. The Bellhop does not have snaps on the storm flap.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

WHOOoooo! Who's this new guy?! :o

Howdy, Lee! Good to see you back on line!!!!
:clap:
HIGHEST regards! Michaelson :M:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yeah, I was thinking the same thing...

glad your back Lee! :tup:
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Lee Keppler wrote:The "Bellhop" jacket picture was on Peter's website briefly, and was sent to me by Peter. The side vents are the side seam opened up. the action back is sewn shut. Also note the shoulder seams. They are in the style of a suit jacket and the jacket has shoulder pads. I never used this photo for an ad. I did run a "New Product Release" in SOF magazine for the jacket that FS made for me. The Bellhop does not have snaps on the storm flap.
thank you for that clarification of the jacket in the photo. That explains a lot, and the fact that it did not have an action back or pleats is quite telling.

Do you still have the jacket?
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Of course not! I sent it back because it was wrong. I had ordered two of them and this is what came in. If I knew then what I know now......
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Lee Keppler wrote:........... If I knew then what I know now......
We are all ears when you are ready ....
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

generalFROSTY wrote:Very good background story.
It always amazes me that some props and costumes are not re-used from previous films. I know (they) reused a MKVII bag in Crystal Skull, but something like the jacket, you would think they would want to avoid the trouble - presuming the actor would still be able to fit in the wardrobe from movie to movie.

Huh? Wardrobe needs to be made fresh for each film for quality control, correct numbers of each, etc. Remember very few people notice or care about the tiny variations we see. They are unimportant to the success of the film.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Lots of detail in that write up, just a comment from someone not as familiar with everything as the writer. The existing relationship between Leather Concessionaires and Berman's before the "falling out" was not explained, so, "Berman’s company did not win the contract for that film [Temple of Doom]". How was Leather Concessionaires involved in that? That is not explained and the uninformed reader has no idea how Leather Concessionaires had any bearing on Berman's losing the contract. Did Leather Concessionaires supply Berman's with jackets? One is left to make assumptions in that direction.

Also, it seems there is no explanation of who Anthony Powell was, maybe he could be given a title to identify him. Instead he is first referenced in the write up as "Lee was contacted by LFL on behalf of Anthony Powell" with no accompanying explanation of his ties to Lucas Films, was he a costume designer? The uniformed reader has no way to determine who he was and what more precisely might have been his role.

(Ok, I just noted that Anthony Powell is referred to as a costume designer at the end, might have been better to initially refer to him as such so the reader is not nagged searching for that information and unable to find it until the conclusion). It also would have been nice if people were made aware early on in the write up that Noel Howard worked for Berman and Nathans, which also was not cleared up until the end.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Thanks bigrex. At times its hard to pull back and not realize everyone isn't on the same page. I'm wondering though if Noel isn't identified in an earlier write-up…either in Raiders or ToD…as they're conceived to be one long running monologue, from one movie to the next as they reference each other back and forth. I'll look into the other write-ups and look into editing.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Mike wrote:Thanks bigrex. At times its hard to pull back and not realize everyone isn't on the same page. I'm wondering though if Noel isn't identified in an earlier write-up…either in Raiders or ToD…as they're conceived to be one long running monologue, from one movie to the next as they reference each other back and forth. I'll look into the other write-ups and look into editing.
Mike,

Glad I could maybe offer a slight bit of help, not many services the uninformed can render, but I do suppose this may be one one them. I'll have to go back and read the other jacket histories since they are intended to be read together...

Ok, it's looking like most of that is resolved to a great degree in the Raiders installment, just had to go back a little further, not sure if the "falling out" is detailed there, but it may be...

I should mention it is a very amazing write-up, I wish the average reporter was so thorough and exhaustive in their research!

Rex
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

bigrex wrote: not sure if the "falling out" is detailed there, but it may be...
I Don't think the "falling out" between Peter and B&N can or will be fully disclosed if that's the one you are referring to :-k

I just noticed I didn't comment yet :oops: so here it goes: Great write up guys! :clap: _, thank you for all your hard work! :notworthy:

Regards, Geert
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

gwyddion wrote:
I Don't think the "falling out" between Peter and B&N can or will be fully disclosed if that's the one you are referring to :-k

Regards, Geert
I'm not sure I understand these comments. The article plainly states:
"It involved some issue of “protocol” surrounding work Leather Concessionaires did on a James Bond film."
"Protocol" can involve a subcontractor working outside the working agreement with a prime contractor, which in this case was B&N. They (Leather Consessionaires) produced a Bond jacket for a film without the knowledge or participation of the prime contractor to the industry (B&N), which in the film industry is a BIG no-no. (actually, a big no-no in ANY industry, come to think of it! :-k )

Regards! Michaelson
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Thanks for clearing that up. I assumed that it wasn't stated more explicit on purpose, like it wasn't to be fully disclosed or something, but obviously that isn't the case.

Regards, Geert
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No, this has appeared in detail on other occasions.

Regards! Michaelson
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Michaelson wrote:
gwyddion wrote:

Regards, Geert
I'm not sure I understand these comments. The article plainly states:
"It involved some issue of “protocol” surrounding work Leather Concessionaires did on a James Bond film."
"Protocol" can involve a subcontractor working outside the working agreement with a prime contractor, which in this case was B&N. They (Leather Consessionaires) produced a Bond jacket for a film without the knowledge or participation of the prime contractor to the industry (B&N), which in the film industry is a BIG no-no. (actually, a big no-no in ANY industry, come to think of it! :-k )

Regards! Michaelson

Ok, so there was no real existing relationship between Berman's and Leather Concessionaires before the incident. I was totally confused right from the start with that one. So much could be implied or misinterpreted with vague words such as protocol, but I still don't know how Concessionaires caused Berman's to lose a contract for the Temple of Doom. It seems Concessionaires was out of line, not Berman's. Was Berman's supposed to do policing to make sure things like that did not happen? Maybe it's something obvious I'm just not seeing, totally confused over here, even more so now. #-o
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

TOD discussion moved here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45872