My fav CS fedora from the film

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

My fav CS fedora from the film

Post by Fedora »

I had read on another forum awhile back that one guy said the CS fedora looked "off". Never really understood why the guy felt that way. Here is my fav one.

While the block Bernie chose was not my fav, still, compared to some of the TOD hats and even TLC hats, to me, the CS hat just looks better. It is a straighter hat than those. Of course, I WOULD be prejudiced. :lol: But even if I were not, I feel I would have still liked the CS hat better than the other two. So, I just don't get what it is about the CS hat that some think looks "off". Yeah, off when compared to the TOD and TLC but not so "off" when compared to some of the Raider fedoras. Just thinking out loud here. Plus, if lefted up to another hatter, who knows what Indy would have worn. The samples from other hatters that I have pics of, were pretty bad! :lol: Fedora
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: My fav CS fedora from the film

Post by jlee562 »

If I'm picking out the right hat, my favorite is actually the accidentally short one....hence my order for it ;)
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

jlee562 wrote:If I'm picking out the right hat, my favorite is actually the accidentally short one....hence my order for it ;)
Which scene was that in?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Which scene was that in?
Well, it appeared in the filming done in Hawai. I only know because 2 days after they got there was when I found out one of the samples got aged by Western Costume, sent to the site, and used before Bernie noticed the brim was wider and the crown shorter! In his words, he said it looked ok though. He also told me he had to put it back, to use later on, for continuity in the film.

With that said, I have a hard time spotting it myself. And I made it! :lol: Fedora
steve4291
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by steve4291 »

There really can't be much to top your fedora in that top picture Fedora. It certainly is up there next to the Raiders hat. Some people can't pull their heads out of the nostalgic mist that covers their eyes.
RelicHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RelicHunter »

Fedora wrote:
Which scene was that in?
Well, it appeared in the filming done in Hawai. I only know because 2 days after they got there was when I found out one of the samples got aged by Western Costume, sent to the site, and used before Bernie noticed the brim was wider and the crown shorter! In his words, he said it looked ok though. He also told me he had to put it back, to use later on, for continuity in the film.

With that said, I have a hard time spotting it myself. And I made it! :lol: Fedora
Was it the one he's wearing during the convoy chase scene? I agree it's hard to tell, but that one always seemed shorter to me.

I agree that the straight-sided block really sets Raiders and CS apart from the other hats, and any scene that shows that off is when it looks its best. The snake pit scene is definitely one. I always liked the first shots of it outside the hangar, probably because that was the first I saw of it and that was what always stuck in my mind.

Still, though, I thought the continuity of hats was better in CS than in the other films. It's really hard to tell one hat from the other. :?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Some people can't pull their heads out of the nostalgic mist that covers their eyes.

Yes, I am sure figures into the equation. Along with the old saw, "familiarity breeds contempt" :D I guess I need to be more clandestine like Mr. Swales. :lol:
Still, though, I thought the continuity of hats was better in CS than in the other films. It's really hard to tell one hat from the other.
I agree. I don't think you see as much variance in the last film. And when you did, it was because they had Bernie somewhere else, and not on set. He told me as much. His stand in wasn't as fussy as Bernie was with this fedora. Which says alot about how serious Bernie took his duties, although not all liked his choice of costume. Fedora
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Maybe the "off" factor was the hats looked too new. It's been written plenty around here the hats were dusted, but didn't have that beaten to within an inch of their life look. Of course, that's because they were "@(#$* nice hats" as HF said.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Fedora wrote: I guess I need to be more clandestine like Mr. Swales. :lol:
Old friend, that horse left the barn YEARS ago! :-

:lol:
;)

Regards! Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Old friend, that horse left the barn YEARS ago!
Yep. :D This is what you get when a member such as me, gets involved in an Indy film! :lol: Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Here are a few behind the scenes pics during production work for Indy 4.

This first one is the original hat, as picked by Bernie and Ford. 5 1/4 crown, 2 7/8 by 2 5/8 brim. This was changed by Steven to the taller crown. Notice the creases were refined later on by Bernie, so this isn't exactly the crease job done by him. Taken in Bernie's office at Western Costume.

Here is one of the hats sent back to me, to copy, by Bernie. I snapped this shot to email to Marc to use in creasing the hats he was making. This hat was fitted and tested on Ford.

Here is one of the sweats for Indy 4. My notations.

Here is the gray sample that I sent Bernie. He told me he would keep looking, as it was not dark enough. He was looking for a Oxford Gray. He called me after the train scene and told me he used this gray hat in the film! And to make him a backup!

IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Interesting information Steve, glad you could take some time and post something like this. Your like seeing the behind the scenes of the making of the hat sort of. What are those circles on the brown hat, how big the crease should be or where they should be? Is that what they are for? Or is it a secret? :[

IndianaChris
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

Very cool, Fedora...
Thank you so much for the behind the scenes details like this!! After watching the DVD extras so many times, it's refreshing to get little tidbits like this!! :TOH: Keep 'em coming :whip:

David
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

IndianaChris711 wrote: What are those circles on the brown hat, how big the crease should be or where they should be? Is that what they are for? Or is it a secret? :[
They represent the space between spaces. :lol:
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Thanks for these cool info!! :tup:
TenuredProfessor wrote:Very cool, Fedora...
Thank you so much for the behind the scenes details like this!! After watching the DVD extras so many times, it's refreshing to get little tidbits like this!!
I agree!!!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

What are those circles on the brown hat, how big the crease should be or where they should be? Is that what they are for? Or is it a secret?
I had to show Marc how to make the side creases, and this defined it better. I will post some more pics of the Indy 4 production...glad you guys like them! Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Here's the inside of one of the hats Bernie sent back for me to use as a 3 D model. It shows the European style white plain liner.

Here is the hat right before the final film test with Steven. The guy is Bob, Bernie's assistant.

Notice the non AB sample on the table behind. NO dimensional cut.

More to come. Fedora
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Very cool pictures, Steve. I wish we had this sort of photo-documentation for Raiders. Its so great to see these pictures. Please keep them rolling as long as you have some to show!

Dave
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

oh, very cool Steve. thanx for this information.

:tup:
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Funny, as many times as I'd seen that pic of Bernie's assistant, I never noticed the hat in the background.

Where's a puking smilie when you need one?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

will this work

:-0
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Thanks for sharing these inside, making of pics and info! This is very interesting and enjoyable!!! :H:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Glad you guys like these! Ok, here is one of Ford's hats being made. I had just blocked this one for the film.

Here is a back view of the hat, at Western Costume.

And here is the first check Bernie mailed to me.

And here is the fatter hatter in his shop when I was doing the film hats.

Lost a few pounds since that time. My doc forced me to do so! :lol: Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Here is the sweat from the one I had to make for Bernie. He forgot to keep one for himself!

And the last of what is on my pc. The hat that Bernie chose and sent to me, to use as a 3D sample. This one was fitted to Ford. Then, Steven changed the crown height.

Here is what Bernie emailed to me, to use at the outset, to try and copy for the gray travel hat.

I have many more, saved on a cd, and packed up somewhere. I will post those one day when I discover where I put them! Fedora
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Steve! These pics are AWESOME! Seriously... they are priceless!

Thanks for sharing with us! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

If Indy 5 is made, I will make sure to document it very well. And perhaps even get some video too. All of this Indy 4 work seems like a dream these days. But, I did not get much sleep during that period, as we were pressed big time, to get em made and shipped out. I could not dote over each hat, the way I would have liked to do. Hopfully, this next time, since the hat is already chosen, I can take more time with em. And who knows, the next hat may be rabbit! Just depends upon how much water is involved. Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Steve! These pics are AWESOME! Seriously... they are priceless!

Thanks for sharing with us!
Hey glad you like em. Save em for historical reasons! This may well be Indy's last hat. Fedora
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Personally I think the CS hat (along with most of the rest of the costume used in CS) is the best of the franchise.
We all love the Raiders hat, but there is something more 'real' about the CS hat.
The consistency in the movie is much better for one thing. The Raider hat changes look too much, and at some points appears to be ready for the trash. It is hard to watch Raiders (not to mention ToD) and believe there is only one hat, this isn't the case in CS.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Agreed. When I first starting becoming interested in Indygear.... the Raiders hat was my hands-down favourite! But as time went on, I became to like the Crystal Skull hat more and more. I am not a big fan of tapered hats... so I never liked the TOD fedora. I always liked the LC fedora because it was the movie I was most fond of. But there was just something about that relaxed pinch on such a straight-sided fedora that really took hold of me.

I have to say after a couple of years, the CS fedora has become my favourite of the series! It looks classy- but it also screams adventure! And that is something I love in a fedora!
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

Wow, thank you again, Fedora!!
It's an honor to be on the same forum with someone who makes such wonderful hats as yourself. And after getting these tidbits about the making of these hats, I feel I need to ditch work and go home and get my Henry...I'm missing it terrribly right now!! Fascinating stuff! :TOH:

David
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

It's an honor to be on the same forum with someone who makes such wonderful hats as yourself.
:oops: Well, I am honored to be on this board. With folks like myself. I was an Indy Gear fan long before I was the hatter for an Indy film. And I am still just like you guys, a fan! Still hard for me to believe I actually was involved. It is totally unreal to me, even today. fedora
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Fedora wrote:
It's an honor to be on the same forum with someone who makes such wonderful hats as yourself.
:oops: Well, I am honored to be on this board. With folks like myself. I was an Indy Gear fan long before I was the hatter for an Indy film. And I am still just like you guys, a fan! Still hard for me to believe I actually was involved. It is totally unreal to me, even today. fedora
Well, having just received your signature CS, it does not surprise me in the least you were involved. Steve, you are a Master Hatter. I think your dedication as a fan, kept you on course with the "target look" of this character's hat. You have the magic eye when it comes to hats. Many thanks for making one for me!
Your CS hat is perfection and I have worn it everyday since it arrived!
Heres to you Steve! :H:
John
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

Interesting info there Steve. thanks! :TOH:
Fedora wrote:Image

Notice the non AB sample on the table behind. NO dimensional cut.
that hat in the background looks like the "test-hat" they threw around in the behind the scenes footage, when they were outside area 51, shooting the scene where the hat was thrown on the ground by steven spielberg. There is a pic of Harrison holding that hat too

CJ
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Fedora wrote:
see, this is why I like you so much Steve. Down to earth. :tup:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Thank you for all of these wonderful pics, Steve! You're generosity in sharing with us is to be really commended. I know you might think you're giving away too many secrets sometimes but this type of info is priceless to gear junkies like us!
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

Thanks so much for posting these awesome pics, my friend! The CS hat is definitely my favorite, followed by the Raiders, but I know a CS can take it in the real world! I look forward to the blessed day it arrives! I'm thankful that Bernie wanted real gear this time around!
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Thanks so much Steve for all the behind the scenes information and pics! Very interesting and very much appreciated! :)
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

I'll echo what so many are saying here already. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. It is indeed an honor to have seen the progression of your hats from some of the early hats to theses wonderful pics of the film hat. It's a shame I didn't have the duckets available to be able to purchase one of your lids early on, I sure would be one proud hat owner if I did as are so many Adventurebilt owners.

Thanks again and I can't wait to see more from the Indy IV process.

Cheers! :TOH:

Dan
The Antiquarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Los Angeles, California. YouTube Account: The Man-Machine

Post by The Antiquarian »

jnicktem wrote:Steve- your pics are gone! :Dietrich:
Yeah, I noticed this too... I guess I missed the party, huh? :oops:
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

This is my favorite. The lighting looked great and the bash job looked clean and adventuresome.

LLS
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Hey LLS, notice how wide that brim looks on the last pic you posted, on the front? Hard to believe it is only 2 3/4 inches!!! These film stills can be tricky. The can make things look different than they actually are. Fedora
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

I did notice this, Fedora. Downward angles of the hat can affect the looks of the hat. The brim does look wider that 2-3/4". You can see the dem. cut as it transitions to the side. This hat just has that certain "pop" to my eye. Reminds me of the hat you finished while I was out at your shop, the one used in the article that the magazine guy took a picture of? No doubt that in person, any Indy fan would say "That is the Adventurebilt hat that Indy wore in Crystal Skull." You and Marc did well. :tup:
LLS
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

This hat just has that certain "pop" to my eye. Reminds me of the hat you finished while I was out at your shop, the one used in the article that the magazine guy took a picture of? No doubt that in person, any Indy fan would say "That is the Adventurebilt hat that Indy wore in Crystal Skull." You and Marc did well.
Yes, it does. I agree. But you may be wrong about "any Indy fan" but only because I have read in the past here, where at least one guy said what we were making did not look like the film hats! :lol: See, that's the deal here. Our perceptions are not always the same, but for the majority, yes, they do see it is the same hat. I sure do, although I can also see how Bernie was playing with the creases in some scenes. Or perhaps the hats in question were some that got saturated and he dried them, and recreased them. Which of course is a good thing really. Once you CS starts to shrink a bit, you will still be film accurate. A good thing, I think.

Notice on your first pic. The hat looks shorter. But, it's an illusion. This hat was 5 inches tall on the sides, and you can see it in your second pic. And yes, it seem if you are looking down on the hat, the brim seems to grow. Now, if I did not know what the brim width was on your second pic, I would (in the past) tend to think it was close to 3 inches! We see this on the Raiders fedora too. Although that brim was reported to be 2 7/8. I recall Bernie saying the hats he had from the warehouse, or perhaps Lucas, were 2 9/16ths on the sides. Between 2 1/2 and 2 5/8. I think we actually saw different brim widths in the film myself. Not by much, but a little. But, conjecture. But in CS, the brim widths were exact, 2 3/4 by 2 1/2. Except for that one hat of course. But that was not used in the scenes you posted. Fedora
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I agree with you David. That hat looks fantastic in the shots you posted. I love the profile of that hat in that first shot. I don't get how someone can say your hats don't look like the movie hats. They scream Steve to me. Could be the bow work. There something you do that is just you steve. Your bow work is very organic. That's the only way I can explain it.
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

I think that probably will sound unpopular, but my favorite CS hat and bashing is the grey one on train station. I absolute love how perfect is on Harrison. Don't surprises that Steven loved it!
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

steerpike wrote:I think that probably will sound unpopular, but my favorite CS hat and bashing is the grey one on train station. I absolute love how perfect is on Harrison. Don't surprises that Steven loved it!
You are not alone. That's my favorite hat from CS too. My second favorite in the series. I had one on order with Steve but changed it for an entirely custom job. I hope to get that grey CS hat before he retires.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Okay, I rehosted and relinked all the photos, Steve. Make sure I got 'em all in the right place. The only one I did not have was the picture Bernie emailed to you for reference in copying for the gray travel hat. I also went ahead and cleaned up the thread while I was at it, since half of it had to do with the missing pictures. ;)
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

RCSignals wrote:Personally I think the CS hat (along with most of the rest of the costume used in CS) is the best of the franchise.
We all love the Raiders hat, but there is something more 'real' about the CS hat.
The consistency in the movie is much better for one thing. The Raider hat changes look too much, and at some points appears to be ready for the trash. It is hard to watch Raiders (not to mention ToD) and believe there is only one hat, this isn't the case in CS.

I agree. Raiders is awesome!! However I favor the CS hat. Just seems more "real". I don't know how else to describe right now. Also, Steve thank you for sharing the behind the scenes. Makes the whole Indy fetish we have more personal and special. Excellent work sir! :TOH:

High Regards, :TOH:
Sean
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

DR Ulloa wrote:
steerpike wrote:I think that probably will sound unpopular, but my favorite CS hat and bashing is the grey one on train station. I absolute love how perfect is on Harrison. Don't surprises that Steven loved it!
You are not alone. That's my favorite hat from CS too. My second favorite in the series. I had one on order with Steve but changed it for an entirely custom job. I hope to get that grey CS hat before he retires.
That's the reason why I recently changed my order with Steve from a brown CS fedora to the CS grey traveller fedora!!!