Indy's Hi-Power

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indy's Hi-Power

Post by RonC »

If anyone is interested in getting an "Indy" Browning Hi-Power (like the one he used in the Raven Bar in "Raiders"), you might try checking around for an F.E.G. Hungarian copy, or one of the Argentina-built Hi-Powers. They are both well-built handguns (though not with the fit and finish of the Browning, Belgium built guns), and quite a bit less-expensive than the Browning ones. I'm looking to get one myself sometime in the near future.
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

I had a Belgian Browning hi power for about a month. Then I traded it for a stainless PPK. Good guns. Very accurate.
Thefumegator
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Thefumegator »

Actually, the real deal can be found for a decent price, but yes, you're right, they can be quite expensive. Mine sure was :oops: .

But I'm happy with it. It is uber-reliable, and a pretty gun to boot.

The FEGs and Argentine Brownings are supposed to be very reliable as well, but I have heard things about a few of them with softer-than-usual steel. But for the price, how can one go wrong?

I'd really like one of these less-expensive HPs for a little tinkering and customization. A good site for info is www.fnhipower.com

Cheers,
Wes
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Thefumegator, I was just talking with my gunsmith last night, as I picked up my "Indy" 1917...and he was telling me the F.E.G. Hi-Powers are excellent handguns. I have heard the same rumors, but concerning the F.M.-built Hi-Powers (Argentine made). I do know the F.E.G. ones have been used as the basis for some very fine combat handguns for competition and field use. And, as you put so well, they cost a lot less than the real thing! Thanks for the Hi-Power link...they're one of my favorite semi-autos.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Is it possible anywhere to find a Hi Power replica in rubber? I know Lee offers the Smith and Wesson and Webley but what about the Hi Power?

Ken
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Indiana Ken, are you allowed to own blank-firing replicas in the U.K./Scotland? If so, check out this link:

http://replicaweaponry.com/9mmblowmagbl.html
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

Indiana Ken wrote:Is it possible anywhere to find a Hi Power replica in rubber? I know Lee offers the Smith and Wesson and Webley but what about the Hi Power?

Ken
Ken,
Here is one. It's about midway down the page, right under the Colt 45.

Hope this helps
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Thanks guys!

Basically blank firers are a bit of a tricky buy - sometimes they are permitted by customs sometimes not - it depends how 'readily convertible to fire live ammunition' they are and it can be a lottery whether or not it gets confiscated or not (been there). The best way to obtain a blank firer in the uk is via a store located in the uk.

I already have 2 blank firers but would like a rubber replica too as its a lot easier to actually wear with the costume without getting confiscated.

2 very interesting sites - many thanks! :)

Ken
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

My pleasure, Ken.
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Found another Hi-Power candidate...Mauser produced the M-80A, which is an excellent Hi-Power clone, and is less expensive than the Browning version.
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

I have a trade in the works for a Belgium-built Browning Hi-Power made in the 1950's. Hopefully I will have it by early next week. When I get it, I'll try to get some photos of it for all of you to see.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

These are all great HP substitutes. Thanks for the leads!
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

RonC wrote:I have a trade in the works for a Belgium-built Browning Hi-Power made in the 1950's. Hopefully I will have it by early next week.
Ron,

Any word on your HP?
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Got it yesterday.
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

I was watching the Raven Bar & Bantu Wind scenes the other night to view the scenes where Indy uses his Hi Power. If I'm not mistaken, it has the black plastic grips and not the French Walnut ones. Makes me glad I have both with my "new" Hi Power! I actually like the way it looks and feels with the black checkered ones.
Trebor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trebor »

AIM Surplus had a bunch of ex-Isreali Hi-Powers for sale a year or two ago. They were $299 and went pretty quick. I snagged one and its an interesting mix of MkII and MkIII features. It was made in 1996, but has the old style small safety and MkII slide without a firing-pin safety on a MKIII cast frame. From what I understand, MkIII guns were the FN standard in '96 and it is believed that the mix of features was to meet the special requirements of the Isreali order.

Mine looks well used on the outside, but is unfired on the inside. It still has the yellow "Don't shoot me" ID tape that the Isrealie's are so fond of on both slide flats behind the muzzle.

As is, it looks like the gun Indy would have used, except for the more modern external extractor. I'm still torn between preserving it's historical significance and leaving it untouched or having it customized to make it more shootable and possibly using it for CCW. Right now the trigger could use some smoothing, the hammer spring is too heavy, the sights are so-so and the small safety is hard to disengage and nearly impossible to reengage one handed. I'll probably get it worked on, but not without a little regret.

These guns are still kicking around on the secondary market and are worth the money if you can find one.

Rob
Thefumegator
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Thefumegator »

RonC wrote:I have a trade in the works for a Belgium-built Browning Hi-Power made in the 1950's. Hopefully I will have it by early next week. When I get it, I'll try to get some photos of it for all of you to see.
Actually, the Mauser Hi Power is basically a rebadged FEG, but supposedly to a bit higher fit and finish. They are supposedly very good guns.

Also, Charles Daly has come out with a Hi Power, which is ALSO made from FEG parts, but assembled in the US to get that nifty "Made in the USA" tag.

Really, you can't go wrong with a Hi Power. I just got my second one, a FEG. :wink:

Cheers,
Wes
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

You are correct concerning the Mauser. It's fit and finish are quite nice, tbough. I was able to make the trade for a '69 model Hi Power, and it's a beauty! Just ordered another magazine for it.
Thefumegator
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Thefumegator »

Hey, Ron, if you're looking for some good Hi-cap mags for a great price, look at www.CDNNinvestments.com for the South African 17-round and 15-round magazines. They're great. :wink:

...But avoid the 13-round ones they sell. They're bad news.

Wes
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If you haven't noticed, and if he still has them, Indiana John has a couple Hi-Power mags for sale in the classified area under the title 'Miscellanous gear'. Regards. Michaelson
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Thanks for the info, guys! I sent IJ a pm concerning the magazines.
Thefumegator
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Thefumegator »

AIM Surplus had a bunch of ex-Isreali Hi-Powers for sale a year or two ago. They were $299 and went pretty quick. I snagged one and its an interesting mix of MkII and MkIII features.
I don't know how I missed this before, but these are pretty sought after. They're commonly called "Mark two-and-a-halfs" by us HP aficionados. For those who haven't discovered it yet, www.fnhipower.com has some of the greatest amassed knowledge of the P35 anywhere. Anyone is welcome. :wink:

Hey Ron, how are you liking your HP? You said it's a '69 manufacture, correct? Is it a T-series?

I mentioned earlier that I got another HP, a FEG. I like it. It had a beautiful blued finish when I got it, but it has shown to get surface rust like crazy. I keep it stored with a thick layer of CLP, yet every now and again it still finds a way to rust. I have to check it daily. In order to "head off" the rust (when it happens) from becoming pitting, I have to take a wire brush to the gun, and oil liberally. It hasn't been kind to the once gorgeous finish.

On the good side though, My Browning has yet to even hear the word "rust."

For anyone looking to get a P35, I would highly recommend saving a little longer and getting a Browning MkIII with the Epoxy finish. It costs about twice as much as a FEG, but IMO, more than worth it.

FWIW,

Wes
Trebor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trebor »

Thefumegator wrote:
AIM Surplus had a bunch of ex-Isreali Hi-Powers for sale a year or two ago. They were $299 and went pretty quick. I snagged one and its an interesting mix of MkII and MkIII features.
I don't know how I missed this before, but these are pretty sought after. They're commonly called "Mark two-and-a-halfs" by us HP aficionados. For those who haven't discovered it yet, www.fnhipower.com has some of the greatest amassed knowledge of the P35 anywhere. Anyone is welcome. :wink:

Wes
Hey Wes,

What's your handle on Fnhighpower.com? I'm Trebor on that board as well, except for when I forget to log in and then I'm "Anonymous." Actually, I'm "Trebor" on pretty much every gun board out there, so if you bump into me, say "hi."

What do you think I should do with my HP 2 1/2? Should I customize it, or leave it as is?
Thefumegator
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Thefumegator »

Hiya trebor,
I go as Thefumegator on every board that I'm on (I don't know why; I actually hate the handle, but if I change it, I'll forget one or the other).

As to whether or not I'd customize it, I guess that depends on if you like it as is. I don't remember which safety, sights, or grips the Mk2.5s have, but all of those can be changed without any big deal. Personally, I think the MOST important thing is to be happy with one's pistol. I'd do whatever necessary to make that HP fit you like a glove... er, a Wested. :lol:

I'm already perfectly happy with my Browning, but I've got a FEG that I just adopted that attitude with, and I'm starting to see quite a bit of potential with it.

RULE NO. ONE: BREAK THE RULES! I am right handed, so I put a MkIII "thumb rest" grip panel on the left side, and one of the old-fashioned plastic grips on the right side (soon to be replaced with an Uncle Mike's palmswell grip), and it feels soooooo goooooood.

The FEG also has the ring-style hammer, but it is cast, and is pretty cheesy. There is actually a dimple where it smacks the firing pin. :shock: Since I think I like the MkIII spur hammer better anyway, I think I'll put one of those in. While I'm at it, I'm going to put in a factory sear and safety lever, since the FEG has developed a scary little habit of letting the sear move a tad with the safety on. :shock:

About the only thing that will leave is the slide with the ventilation rib running along the top :roll: and its atrocious sights. I still don't know if I'm just going to save up and get either a FN or Argentine slide, or have a gunsmith mill off the rib and dovetail in some of the Browning MkIII sights.

Of course, it'll be a little while before I do this, and it will probably take a while to do, but I think it will be fun.

Be well. If I bump into ya on fnhipower.com, I'll give you a nonchalant "WWID?" :wink:

Wes
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

RonC wrote:I was watching the Raven Bar & Bantu Wind scenes the other night to view the scenes where Indy uses his Hi Power. If I'm not mistaken, it has the black plastic grips and not the French Walnut ones. Makes me glad I have both with my "new" Hi Power! I actually like the way it looks and feels with the black checkered ones.
I never noticed that. But, you are right.

Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

RonC wrote:If I'm not mistaken, it has the black plastic grips and not the French Walnut ones.
Yes, I am now truly convinced.

Thanks, Ron for your keen observation.

Pyro.
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

You are very welcome, Pyro! We need to get together and put some rounds down-range form our Hi-Powers sometime in the near future.
wolf2hawks
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by wolf2hawks »

For ones looking for rubber guns (like the Browning), Western stage props has a big list for rubber prop guns. They have all the Indy guns, plus everything up to a Ma-duece .50 cal Browning machine gun(they apparently have a copy of a Stoner 63 as used by the SEALs in Vietnam that I'm really interested in). They also have a lot of rubber tools for stunt fights. Haven't ordered from them yet. hope to soon.
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

Here's an FEG PJK-9HP made about 1992, #B44xxx. This series was a good copy of the '60s Browning HP Model 'T' with polished blue. Function is perfect and accuracy excellent. They come up on the gun auctions once in a while, but in recent years the different importers have ordered different model designations for these, like P9M or re-using PJK-9HP on a pistol with a matte black finish and plastic grips. Still the same form, fit and function, though. You can find them for $200 all day long. Image
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Add the .jpg to the end of that link.

http://www.huntingpictures.net/photo/004203.jpg

The finish on that gun looks really good.

Pyr.
LeatherneckJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by LeatherneckJones »

RonC wrote:I was watching the Raven Bar & Bantu Wind scenes the other night to view the scenes where Indy uses his Hi Power. If I'm not mistaken, it has the black plastic grips and not the French Walnut ones. Makes me glad I have both with my "new" Hi Power! I actually like the way it looks and feels with the black checkered ones.
Can anyone do screen grabs? The Bantu Wind scene (specifically where Indy leans against the ship's bulkhead as the German soldiers throw Marion out of their cabin... looks like it should be a good shot as Indy rests his hand holding the Hi Power against the wall...) would be the best, I think, but it is hard to see while the film is running... thanks!!