Authentic lamb or Goat Help

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

brex
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Authentic lamb or Goat Help

Post by brex »

I have been reading alot about both leather and need some input from the professionals. I can not decide as I have questions about both. First the goat sound great for being durable but what about the gray tint factor and how will it age. Second the new auth, lamb is thicker than the old but does it make it any more durable. As you can see I can not decide I just would hate to get a coat that ripps from putting my hand in the pocket or one that never distress or turn gray on me. So any reviews or news that may help in my hour of need would be welcome.

ps. I have thought about cow but I want more of a three season jacket and I think from what I have read cow is just to warm.
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

I have both so I'll try my best to answer your questions.

The Lambskin is the nicest feeling jacket you'll ever have. It's nice and light, but it isn't that durable. I scratched the jacket as I was pulling it out of my locker at work. It wasn't that noticeable unless you know where it is. After I pecarded it, I hardly noticed it. And now that I think of it, I don't even remember where the scratch was. It also seems like a jacket that will distress easily(whether purposely or not). After the month and half(or so) of wear, the edges of the jacket started showing distress wear. I doubt it'll rip when you put your hands in the pockets. I sometimes had to put radios and other small objects in the handwarmers for a long period of time and it didn't show any signs of breaking down.

The goatskin is a tough and heavy jacket. Whereas the Lamskin you can wear out of the box and it'll feel like you owned it for years, the goatskin is like it's...new. I haven't fully tested it's durability, but it feels like it can handle a lot more than the Lambskin.

Where do you live? The Lamsbkin will be nice in the warmer climates whereas the goat/cow will be best in the colder climates.
brex
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by brex »

I live New Jersey, so I guess you could say it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Thats why I'am looking for some middle of the road jacket. Also your goat is it authentic or dark brown.
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

It's Authentic. And as you can see, I live in Toronto. The Lamb would have been too cold for me now. But I could see myself wearing my goat during warmer wheather with just a lighter layer of clothing.
brex
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by brex »

Has your goat begun to distress. I here that goat has a gray color to it, My fear is that when it begins to distress this will make the coat look gray instead of brown.
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

So far no sign of distress. I could have sworn I read in a thread that the gray distress was only on the only skins Peter was using. I could be wrong, but it may be worth checking in the archives
brex
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by brex »

thanks for the info I think I can make a decision now.
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

I meant only on the OLDER skins. You may want to consider that ;)