1936 Keuffel & Esser Co. Catalog (PICS)

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

1936 Keuffel & Esser Co. Catalog (PICS)

Post by lantzn »

I've recently purchased a 50 Ft. leather case tape measure and pocket compass that was made by Keuffel & Esser Co. out of NY. They supplied surveyor products. This year of the catalog seems to be rare and there is no reproduction yet and so they go for a lot of money on the big auction site. The last one I saw went for over a $100. I just did a search and found one on Amazon books for $25 in great condition. They had another. Anyhow, both my items above were in the catalog.
Also there was a cool leather case dual magnifying glass, leather cased machete, eye level w/leather case, plumb bob w/leather case and a few other item's I could see in a archeologist's bag.

The catalog is a cool leather looking with raised letters and emblems;
http://www.leadholder.com/cat-ke-1936.html

Threads
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44628
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44267
Last edited by lantzn on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: 1936 Keuffel & Esser Co. Catalog

Post by Bruce Wayne »

How do you keep finding this stuff!!! This is great! :clap:
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

Wow! Utterly fantastic find!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Is the surveyors transit from Raiders in there? I'd love to see a new pic of that!
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

whipwarrior wrote:Is the surveyors transit from Raiders in there? I'd love to see a new pic of that!
There are a ton of transits. Does anyone have a picture of it. Was it made by K&E? Wasn't he using a "borrowed" German product?
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

It's a Keuffel & Esser Transit Model #5077. Here are some pics of it: pic1 and pic2

And here is the page from the old Indy Gear site, it has some more info: http://web.archive.org/web/200610261732 ... ther.shtml

Hope this helps :)

- I. C.
Last edited by Indiana Charles on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Yes, I believe it was a K&E surveyor's Light Mountain Transit, as seen in the film. There was a post about it YEARS ago, but it's buried in the archives somewhere and I don't have time to dig it out.

EDIT: Charles beat me to it! :TOH:
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

whipwarrior wrote:EDIT: Charles beat me to it! :TOH:
Only by a minute ;)

- I. C.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Indiana Charles wrote:It's a Keuffel & Esser Transit Model #5077. Here are some pics of it: pic1 and pic2

And here is the page from the old Indy Gear site, it has some more info: http://web.archive.org/web/200610261732 ... ther.shtml

Hope this helps :)
- I. C.
Yes it's on pages 390 and 391. The illustration is on page 390.
What an awesome coincedence I've been buying K&E stuff, only to find out the transit is from the same company! Very cool.

DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

whipwarrior wrote:Yes, I believe it was a K&E surveyor's Light Mountain Transit, as seen in the film. There was a post about it YEARS ago, but it's buried in the archives somewhere and I don't have time to dig it out.

EDIT: Charles beat me to it! :TOH:
As a surveyor I recognize that the transit that Ford is using is a complete wreck. It's missing half of its functional parts and the optical tube is mounted upside down. It's funny the things you notice once you get into something like this profession. But I believe you're right about it being the light mountain transit. One of my former bosses had one in his office. It was one that he used when he first got in to surveying.
You can actually find them on ebay in decent quantity, but at a steep price. I've still to be able to find a vintage Brunton pocket transit that doesn't go for a small fortune, especially marked out in quadrants.

Cheers! :TOH:

Dan
whipwarrior

Re: 1936 Keuffel & Esser Co. Catalog (PICS)

Post by whipwarrior »

Yeah, but Raiders is pure fiction, so let's just pretend that it works perfectly so that Indy can find the Well of Souls and get the Ark for the sake of our entertainment. :D