Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Striver
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Side straps - why forwards?

Post by Striver »

Hi All!

I'm (another) new guy. Not yet a great Indy fan, but appreciate his style ("Uh oh, slippery slope..."). Following various "recommendations" I got a Wested goat "Raider" and I really love it! But 1 thing bugs me - why do the side straps end up facing FORWARDS? If "form follows function" they should go backwards so that they don't snag when creeping through undergrowth. Facing forwards doesn't seem efficient and I would have thought jacket evolution would have rendered this design extinct (as happened to the poor old Irish Elk with its 10 foot wide antlers which weren't a great success in Irish woodlands).

OK you guys will probably say "forwards 'cos thats how Indy's was" or "so you can pull the straps on tighter easily to adjust fitting".

But it doesn't seem right and proper to me.. they stick out a bit (and the more so after undergrowth escapades) and increase wind resistance ("How fast does this guy move?" you ask).

Better backwards!

Regards to All!

Striver
Last edited by Striver on Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, your two stated reasons are probably the best, as I've owned jackets made both ways (Wings were made with rear pull straps originally), and have found that the forward pull makes it WAY easier to adjust the jacket when it's on. Once done, you can push the strap ends back through the D rings, and they will not only be in the rearward position, but will hold the strap tighter in the rings. That's about the only reason I can think of myself. Regards. Michaelson
Striver
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Striver »

Hi Michaelson!
Doubling them back - through D rings - don't they undo themselves?

Regards,

Striver
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

On the contrary, by pushing them back over and through the ring, they're that much tighter. It's no simple task, especially if you have a jacket that's other than lambskin or lambtouch. Regards. Michaelson
Striver
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Striver »

Thanks Michaelson,
I'll give it a go!
Regards
Striver
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by schwammy »

Harrison Ford wore his backwards in Raiders, and after nearly turning by brain into a pretzel, I finally figured out a way to make mine face backwards too. But the configuration is so complicated, the straps cease to be adjustable, unless you're willing to take off your jacket. So, in the words of Johnny Mercer, I put 'em back the way they was.
Striver
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Striver »

Thanks Schwammy - I might try just doubling them back thru the D rings, but it'll be tight cos its a goat. I've never re-adjusted mine since first putting it on! (Christmas, turkey, beer and chocolate is on the near horizon, however...).

Regards,

Striver