Attention Nowak ToD owners...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Attention Nowak ToD owners...

Post by conceited_ape »

Does he use, or has he managed to source the correct hardware (pronged buckles, zip, etc)?
What does Tony use and what do you think? May well be up for a Nowak ToD somewhere in the near future...
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Attention Nowak ToD owners...

Post by RCSignals »

He uses the same snaps as on the Raiders jacket, which are the correct type. Correct two prong buckle and a very nice 10 ga zip. The puller is not the humongous one that was on the NH jacket, but I personally prefer it that way.
See photos of orb's jacket and my jacket if you haven't already. I love mine.
It is the jacket we see in the movie.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Cheers, RC.

Just found your photos. Absolutely exquisite! What hide did you get? (couldn't find it mentioned)
A couple of things, lastly: Can I request the larger zip-pull (does he stock them)? Also, what lining does he use (does he have the nylon)?
You see, my Wested ToD was supposed to be my 'be all, end all' jacket... Let's just say, it's not. For many reasons. :roll: It was delayed six weeks waiting for the washed goathide that DIDN'T have the dark bone line through it... Sure enough, after a look at the back panel... ](*,)
LOL It didn't even have the male studs attached to the pockets! I didn't return it because it was an easy local fix, but yeah, seriously.
Anyway, I digress. Nowak it is.
I wanted this ToD jacket conquered once and for all. :twisted:
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

conceited_ape wrote:Cheers, RC.

Just found your photos. Absolutely exquisite! What hide did you get? (couldn't find it mentioned)
A couple of things, lastly: Can I request the larger zip-pull (does he stock them)? Also, what lining does he use (does he have the nylon)?
You see, my Wested ToD was supposed to be my 'be all, end all' jacket... Let's just say, it's not. For many reasons. :roll: It was delayed six weeks waiting for the washed goathide that DIDN'T have the dark bone line through it... Sure enough, after a look at the back panel... ](*,)
LOL It didn't even have the male studs attached to the pockets! I didn't return it because it was an easy local fix, but yeah, seriously.
Anyway, I digress. Nowak it is.
I wanted this ToD jacket conquered once and for all. :twisted:

Mine is the Happy Cow. I really like it, and it just keeps getting better.
Other options I would recommend would be the Nowak goat or non-shiny vintage goat. Tony may have other recommendations as well.
You'll have to ask him about the zipper pull, but it's not really something we see in the movie. I have seen that huge YKK zip pull on other things, in brass, so it is probably available. I just think it more belongs on apiece of heavy equipment.
The lining he uses is nylon like, not really sure what it is made of but it's very tough and durable.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

RCSignals wrote: The lining he uses is nylon like, not really sure what it is made of but it's very tough and durable.
Tony once told me that what he uses for lining is the same stuff used for the lining of parachute bags.
Not sure how the stuff is called, but this should give you some idea of how durable this stuff is ;)

Regards, Geert
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Ah, I think I know the stuff. Thanks! :H:
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

gwyddion wrote:
RCSignals wrote: The lining he uses is nylon like, not really sure what it is made of but it's very tough and durable.
Tony once told me that what he uses for lining is the same stuff used for the lining of parachute bags.
Not sure how the stuff is called, but this should give you some idea of how durable this stuff is ;)

Regards, Geert
Well.... I don't have any "linings" in my parachute rig!! It's pretty much all very stiff very thick nylon weave. The "bag" (which encapsulates the parachute itself) is definitely not lined. If anything the lining he uses is similar to parachute material (which occasionally is used for the bag itself if you sacrifice durability for compactness and lightness), especially the CS lining (the Raiders lining not so). Didn't someone say once the Raiders lining was like purse lining (I can totally see that)? Not as "cool sounding" but I know my wife's purse takes a beating :)

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Can you imagine if they'd escaped from the zeppelin like that in Last Crusade:

"We're turning around. They're taking us back to Germany. Let's go, Dad!"
"I didn't know you could fly a plane!"
"Who said anything about flying? Jump!"

:lol:
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

whipwarrior wrote:Can you imagine if they'd escaped from the zeppelin like that in Last Crusade:

"We're turning around. They're taking us back to Germany. Let's go, Dad!"
"I didn't know you could fly a plane!"
"Who said anything about flying? Jump!"

:lol:
Heh, I did two skydives with my Expo one Halloween. My face was red from the shirt and jacket collar slapping me repeatedly!!! (jump #2 I taped them down). It'd only be funnier with that big LC collar!

Anyways, the linings Tony uses really are top notch. The one in the CS jacket feels cooler, and just really helps the jacket slide on, and is perhaps my favourite. I really like the black colour too. The Raiders lining is a very soft nylon, and comfortable as well.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Get collar snaps like an A2 put on your expo and you've got it made!
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Baldwyn wrote:
gwyddion wrote:

Regards, Geert
............ Didn't someone say once the Raiders lining was like purse lining (I can totally see that)? Not as "cool sounding" but I know my wife's purse takes a beating :)

I think someone said the pocket lining is 'purse' lining.

I don't know what the materials he uses are also used for, all I know is they are very tough, and you'll have a hard time wearing them out.