Correct Indy Gloves?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Correct Indy Gloves?

Post by lantzn »

Over the past few years this thread has developed and much evidence and various model of gloves have come to light and been experimented with. Here's a list of gloves that have been discovered to make good Indy gloves.

Everything you wanted to know about gloves but was afraid to ask, like thumb type.
http://www.gemplers.com/tech/wselectgloves.htm

STRAIGHT Thumb Design

Wells Lamont Brand

PICTURES of gloves in this catalog; http://cyberwerks.net/WL_Leather_Catalog.pdf

"THE Indy Glove"
1123 Grain Cowhide - Discontinued
Premium quality, gunn cut, straight thumb, bound hem, double shirred elastic wrist.

Gold Solutions:
Superior quality leather drivers

WK-0122 Premium Grain Cowhide Drivers
• Our highest quality driver glove that nearly looks like a dress leather glove.
• Gunn cut, straight thumb, bound hem
• Double shirred elastic wrist

Y0122 Grain Cowhide
• High quality cowhide leather has high
abrasion resistance and good insulation
• Double shirred elastic wrist keeps dirt out
• Sold by the dozen pair
• Sizes S-XXL
Note: the older version of this glove was tan with same color hem, the newer version is almost white with a dark brown hem. There are instructions (thanks Holt) in this thread on how to covert the look of the newer version to look more like the older version.

Silver Solutions:
High quality, good value

Y0123 Grain Leather Driver
• Quality grain cowhide
• Double shirred elastic wrist
• Sold by the dozen pair
• Sizes S-XL

Y0163 Grain Leather Driver
• Shirred elastic wrist for a secure fit
• Sold by the dozen pair
• Sizes S-XL

Bronze Solutions:
Best economical value

Y0133 Grain Leather Driver
Y0135 Economy Grain Leather Driver
• Economy choice
• Sold by the dozen pair
• Sizes S-XL
• color pigment may vary

Other Brands

Todd's Costumes
Custom made for Todd's Costumes, these gloves are perfect copies of the gloves made by Western Costumes for "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Soft cowhide leather, straight thumb seams, matching color binding. These are real leather gloves, perfect for chores, gardening, etc. Available brand new or artificially aged to match the movie gloves.
http://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/m ... es-gloves/

Magnoli Clothiers
Adventure Gloves

These tough cowhide leather gloves are perfect for work or adventure, from excavating ancient ruins to weeding in your backyard.
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/adventu ... p-273.html

Geier Glove Company
640ES
Cowhide
Work glove with elastic back, medium weight cowhide, sizes 7 - 11
http://www.geierglove.com/cowhide.html

The FireStore
Shelby Cowhide Cleanup/Utility Gloves
Premium grain cowhide, gunn cut, straight thumb with welt, shirred elastic back and bound hem.
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/produ ... ty_gloves/

Carolina Glove Company
Quality Grade Grain Cowhide
Unlined, Straight Thumb and Shirred Elastic Back Quality Grade Cowhide
http://store.carolinaglovecompany.com/tr9999e.html

9999EXS Select Grade Grain Cowhide
Unlined, Straight Thumb and Shirred Elastic Back Select Grade Cowhide
http://store.carolinaglovecompany.com/grcowstth.html

KEYSTONE Thumb Design

Wells Lamont Brand

1130 Grain Cowhide
Top quality. Gunn cut, keystone thumb. Bound hem and with palm padding

1133 Grain Pigskin
Bucko grain pigskin, keystone thumb, leather bound, shirred wrist, gunn cut.

Other Brands

Wade Egan Gear
Wells Lamont 1133

Bucko grain pigskin, keystone thumb, leather bound, shirred wrist, gunn cut.
http://web.mac.com/wadeegan/Wadeventure/Gloves.html

MidWest Gloves

Smooth Grain Performance Leather, Keystone Inset Thumb for Greater Flexibility, Gunn Cut for a Seamless Back of Glove for Comfort, Flat Finger Seam at Inside 2 Fingers for Easy Gripping, Gathered Elastic at the Wrist for a Snug Fit Keeping the Dirt Out, Hemmed Cuff
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DI ... 3B8CPVT58R
Last edited by lantzn on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:40 am, edited 12 times in total.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Correct Indy Gloves?

Post by lantzn »

Scouring the web I had read somewhere that MidWest Leather was the company who made the original gloves. Nothing about the model number though. I recently ordered a pair of their #340 which still haven't arrived yet. These are yellowish in color and not white like what others are saying the originals were.

http://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Gloves-34 ... 786&sr=1-3

Has anyone used these? What are your thoughts?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I don't like the MidWest gloves - I've always thought they were the Wells Lamonts. I think it's #1133. Todd's Costumes sells originals or modified replicas, without the mule stamp that they use now. He can also distress them or leave them plain.

http://www.toddscostumes.com/cgi/commer ... egory=3521

Shane
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

This is confusing. Todd's offering is a straight thumb design while the WL 1133 is a keystone thumb design. Todd's description says they are PERFECT COPIES and if that's the case then the WL 1133 are not accurate, or they've redesigned the glove and used the original's number 1133.

Any ideas?

WL 1133
http://www.wellslamont.com/product.php? ... =13&page=1

Todd's
http://www.toddscostumes.com/cgi/commer ... egory=3521

Here's a couple of good looking straight thumb gloves.
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/produ ... ty_gloves/

http://store.carolinaglovecompany.com/desaspcoshel.html
Last edited by lantzn on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Going back to 'pre-internet' days, one of the Paramount prop masters told me that they used both Midwest AND Wells Lamont on set, so either way you go, you'll be right according to what was on set and available to Ford at any given time during the shoot.

Regards! Michaelson
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I need to contact Wade and get myself a pair of gloves. I can't find my old, broken in ones. :-k
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I know that Wells Lamont is the main glove - but wasn't there a story about how the gloves came to be? Wasn't it that they nabbed a pair from a grip to use? I remember hearing a story something like that back in the day.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's correct nick, and even corroberated by Deborah Nadoolman, the designer. She said they never even thought of gloves, and just grabbed pairs from grips working around sets as they needed them.

That was first asked of her in an interview by Indiana John, founder of IG, she thought it an IMMENSELY amusing question. As I recall, she couldn't believe anyone would even CARE about 'gloves'. She quickly learned what an, uh, 'interesting' group we were! :[

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

IndyRiv wrote:NOTE: I SEE USER "MICHAELSON" JUST ADDED A POST. AS HE IS ONE OF THE PREMIERE EXPERTS ON COW, I'D TAKE HIS ADVICE AND SUGGESTIONS ANY DAY.

IndyRiv :whip:
Thank you for the compliment, IR!! :oops: :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Oh, it was there, and for years. Apparently it's still in 're-write' pergatory. :lol:

I'll drop a note in the site update area to see where that stands. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

I believe the story your thinking of is on Todd Costumes website. It was there I remember, not sure if it is anymore.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No, it was posted on the Indygear mainsite up until the 'reboot' of May 2008.

Regards! Michaelson
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Michaelson wrote:No, it was posted on the Indygear mainsite up until the 'reboot' of May 2008.

Regards! Michaelson
Ahh... my mistake :TOH:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

lantzn wrote:Todd's offering is a straight thumb design while the WL 1133 is a keystone thumb design.
It has been stated numerous times that the keystone thumb, which is more popular these days, is incorrect. AFAIK the Todd's are screen accurate. Back in the day it was believed that the Wells Lamont #1130 which was available everywhere was inaccurate and the discontinued #1123 was accurate, but when agent5 got hold of the 1123 he could immediately tell that they weren't THE gloves seen in the film.

Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

I have a pair off Todd's gloves I ordered this fall before Halloween. 
I purchased the distressed version and I couldn't be happier. 
Last edited by Indyzane on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Todd's gloves look good and the price was good last time I looked.

Another option might be gloves online:

Their 0122 and 0131 are both straight cut on the thumb. It actually seems that the cheaper one is more SA.

Note that the trim colour depends on the size you order, smalls have red trim. You'll have to email them to see what colour the other sizes have.

http://www.gloves-online.com/proddetail ... od=WK-0122

http://www.gloves-online.com/proddetail ... od=WK-0131
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

IIRC the Todd's gloves are the 0122 which have been modified to have a matching trim color. At least they used to be, dunno if he custom makes them now.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Thanks, VP. Yes, it is most likely the WL 1130 which was the glove used. When I spoke to reps at WL they told me that they did indeed print their sizes on the outside of the gloves as seen in the film and I don't think (could be wrong) that Midwest ever did that. I was also told that way back when Raiders was filmed they were probably not 1130's but some other production number from back in the day which had since changed to the 1130 we know today, only now they have the palm patch.
I'm still a bit ticked I didn't buy up all the 1130's w/o the patch back in the late 90's when they were still all over the place. One day I woke up and they all had palm patches. Why didn't anyone at WL warn me? :D
On another note, I still see WL 1123's up for sale on Ebay as THE Indy glove. I wonder if it was someone from here selling them. If so, they have to know they're misrepresenting them in the description.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You think YOU feel bad, '5'! I used to buy them by the case when I was running the video studio at Goodyear Atomic back in the 80's, and didn't keep one single pair for my collection. I USED them all! ](*,)

Regards! Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

agent5 wrote:I still see WL 1123's up for sale on Ebay as THE Indy glove. I wonder if it was someone from here selling them. If so, they have to know they're misrepresenting them in the description.
That's what the main site is for, nudge nudge wink wink… ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Michaelson wrote:Oh, it was there, and for years. Apparently it's still in 're-write' pergatory. :lol:

I'll drop a note in the site update area to see where that stands. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Extra nudging just irritates the writers. [-X ;)

Regards! Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I don't believe the glove situation has changed as drastically as, say, the hat and jacket sections. Which means that there wouldn't be much to rewrite.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

We'll leave that for the writer to decide, specifically the webmaster. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

agent5 wrote:Thanks, VP. Yes, it is most likely the WL 1130 which was the glove used. When I spoke to reps at WL they told me that they did indeed print their sizes on the outside of the gloves as seen in the film and I don't think (could be wrong) that Midwest ever did that. I was also told that way back when Raiders was filmed they were probably not 1130's but some other production number from back in the day which had since changed to the 1130 we know today, only now they have the palm patch.
I'm still a bit ticked I didn't buy up all the 1130's w/o the patch back in the late 90's when they were still all over the place. One day I woke up and they all had palm patches. Why didn't anyone at WL warn me? :D
On another note, I still see WL 1123's up for sale on Ebay as THE Indy glove. I wonder if it was someone from here selling them. If so, they have to know they're misrepresenting them in the description.
Yet the 1130 is also a keystone thumb design and NOT the straight thumb design which others, including Todd's, says is correct. Hmm... :-k Still confused.
http://www.wellslamontindustry.com/1130.htm
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

I think back in the 80's the previous version of the 1130 (or its counterpart or twin) didn't have the keystone thumb, it had the straight thumb. Later on they put on the keystone for better comfort or usability. The closest version now available through WL is the 0122 I believe. Thats the version I have, and the size large has a brown binding at the bottom. The 1123 if you can find them, would be the ones to get since the binding at the bottom is colour matched to the glove.

If you want some solid, accurate Indy gloves, go with Magnoli's. They are a little more pricey, but the material reacts just like the screen ones for curls at the wrist and drape (I guess on a glove) and they are colour matched at the bottom.
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

lantzn wrote:
agent5 wrote:
Yet the 1130 is also a keystone thumb design and NOT the straight thumb design which others, including Todd's, says is correct. Hmm... :-k Still confused.
http://www.wellslamontindustry.com/1130.htm

Yes, if you call that number in the link you provided, WL will tell you that these days the 1130 has the palm patch and is only available in the yellow color or without the patch in grain pigskin only. None of those are technically correct.

W.E.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I picked up a pair of Wells Lamont gloves the other day; they look just like Tundraider's gloves, only the number was 2500 I believe. I actually get gloves through my job that look like great Raider's style gloves (again with the keystone thumb; I actually prefer that look!), though I like the fit and feel of the Wells Lamonts' better.

Hey, what's with the palm patch? In all my years working, I have never worn out the palm on a pair of gloves. It's always the fingers and stitching that wears out.

I'll get some pics up one of these days.

Weston
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

My vote would be Todd's. He knows what he's doing, and for $12 for a good pair of leather gloves is a bargain. The not so close Wells Lamonts with palm patch can go for anywhere between $10 (walmart) to $30 (Ace Hardware).

Get something much better and more SA, go with Todd.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

I picked up some pretty good "Stanley" brand gloves on clearance at target ($10).

I thought I'd throw them up next to a pair of my TODD'S.

Flag style thumbs on both. The Stanley's are very soft and thick, so I'm pretty much just keeping them in the Jeep as my driving/wearing around gloves.

The Todd's are still my favorites, especially for work. They fit great and just make every chore kinda feel like an adventure! The ones photo'd here are the more beater of the pair I have. These broke in weird because of some metal grinding work I did, and the fine dust kinda made them blackish. But they're not even close to being finished, so...

First, my homage to TundraRider. I think he made an immortalized photo that I'm sure I'm not the only one to have tried to replicate it.

This is for you mike :TOH:

ImageImage

And my other favorite, Indy taking that BIG PUNCH at the mechanic, just before he misses and catches the straight left to the chin :)

fyi: Todd's Standard Jacket and Shirt

VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Iron out those creases, they're disturbing. Nice gloves. :tup:
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

TheExit148 wrote:The closest version now available through WL is the 0122 I believe. Thats the version I have, and the size large has a brown binding at the bottom.
This is the glove I wound up keeping (after purchasing several other pairs that have found new lives with family, in the car, etc.). They look quite good except for the dark piping/binding at the wrist.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

VP wrote:Iron out those creases, they're disturbing. Nice gloves. :tup:
What's disturbing about the creases?

Besides, those are MY walking around clothes...not my Indy gear :TOH:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Then why pose as Indy taking that BIG PUNCH at the mechanic?
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

VP wrote:Then why pose as Indy taking that BIG PUNCH at the mechanic?
You mean that pose only counts when in fully SA gear? :shock: Darn, I've been doing it wrong all these years! ;)
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

tym wrote:
VP wrote:Then why pose as Indy taking that BIG PUNCH at the mechanic?
You mean that pose only counts when in fully SA gear? :shock: Darn, I've been doing it wrong all these years! ;)
Yeah...me too. :TOH:

(but you're right VP, I bought 2 pairs of those pants and they're actually going to the tailor to be cuffed properly and the crease removed :lol:
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Would you believe a Thinsulated version?!

Big Time Products "Firm Grip" size L model 5653, found at Home Depot
Mr_Vader
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mr_Vader »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've been searching throughout the evening and I can't seem to find the definite answer on which gloves are the most screen accurate:

The WK-0122 from Gloves Online

or

the Wells Lamont 1133XL Pigskin

or

the Wells Lamont Y0122

My brain hurts from it all :)
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Mr_Vader,

The gloves used in Raiders were more than likely Well Lamonts 1130's than the Wells Lamont 1123's most people think.
IMHO, the 1123's are 90% accurate but since 1130's are almost impossible to find without the palm patch, the 1123's seem like the best way to go.

P.S. If anyone can find me a pair of 1130's, I will forever be indebted to you.

These are my 1123's

IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

indydude18 wrote: P.S. If anyone can find me a pair of 1130's, I will forever be indebted to you.
Likewise! :tup:

Also, where did you get your 1123's from Indydude? Just wondering if we got ours from the same place? :-k
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Here's some picks of the correct 1130s.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99667814@N00/page216/

Looking at pictures of the current 1130s with the palm patch, they also have the wrong thumb pattern. It's a Keystone and not the Straight thumb like in the Flickr photos.
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

IndyRiv wrote:
indydude18 wrote: P.S. If anyone can find me a pair of 1130's, I will forever be indebted to you.
Likewise! :tup:

Also, where did you get your 1123's from Indydude? Just wondering if we got ours from the same place? :-k
I got the "hook-up" from RaidersBash! ;)
How about you IndyRiv?
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

Indeed the same place, same person Indydude18! :tup:

Just wanted to make sure we both got ours from the same place before I mentioned the vendor's name.

Now the understanding is that these particular gloves that we got from him are NOT the most accurate? I guess going back to them then - what can you (or anyone else) tell me for the nuances that's different? Just want to expand my knowledge of them is all. :)
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

I searched for a long time and finally found a source for the cowhide WL style #1133 gloves in old stock (meaning, no palm patch) and went ahead and took them all. I have a limited supply but there's still plenty left. I believe the cowhide #1133's or the #1130's (with the old styling) were the gloves actually used on screen. Cowhide 1133s were extremely common back in the 80's and could be found at any hardware store and even super markets. However, they discontinued the cowhide #1133s and changed the design on the #1130's adding the palm patch some time ago and now they're not even available anywhere. I think the old style gun cut 1133's are pretty much extinct. At least I haven't found them anywhere else so I'm guessing I've got some of the last ones anywhere.

W.E.
Mr_Vader
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mr_Vader »

Thanks for the replies everyone, I ended up with the WK-0122 from Gloves Online, they came today:

Everything seems good except for the navy band around the wrist, but a dunk in the chlorine bucket and some yard work should work the color into what it should be :)
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

IndyRiv wrote:Indeed the same place, same person Indydude18! :tup:

Just wanted to make sure we both got ours from the same place before I mentioned the vendor's name.

Now the understanding is that these particular gloves that we got from him are NOT the most accurate? I guess going back to them then - what can you (or anyone else) tell me for the nuances that's different? Just want to expand my knowledge of them is all. :)
They are the most accurate. The film gloves had straight thumbs, not the keyhole thumb, and close colored cuff hem.

screen used:

And the Wells-Lamonts I was selling

Also, I'm NOT a vendor, just a fan who found a bundle of New Old Stock gloves and offered some for sale to the fans here.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Even if the blue hem didn't end up being the right color it seems like an easy fix sewing on a correct one. I like those gloves.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Recently placed an order with Wade for some of his wonderful leather Gear and ordered a pair of the gloves he's offering as well... They look pretty GREAT to me!
:D
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

RaidersBash wrote: Also, I'm NOT a vendor, just a fan who found a bundle of New Old Stock gloves and offered some for sale to the fans here.
First off, RaidersBash I hope my comment about wanting to find out what WASN'T accurate wasn't offending to you. I never mentioned that yours weren't accurate, and I just wanted to find out in generality why others thought they weren't.

As for the above comment you made: I'M VERY GRATEFUL FOR YOUR OFFERING THESE FOR SALE! Thank you. :TOH:
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

screen used:

And the Wells-Lamonts I was selling
The color of the gloves really seems to change from the 1st to 2nd picture :-k
Which color do you guys think is more accurate? or perhaps both colors were used?
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Michaelson wrote:That's correct nick, and even corroberated by Deborah Nadoolman, the designer. She said they never even thought of gloves, and just grabbed pairs from grips working around sets as they needed them.

That was first asked of her in an interview by Indiana John, founder of IG, she thought it an IMMENSELY amusing question. As I recall, she couldn't believe anyone would even CARE about 'gloves'. She quickly learned what an, uh, 'interesting' group we were! :[

Regards! Michaelson

Forgive me if this is common knowledge, but in the above picture (when you step-frame the DVD, it sure looks like the driver--stuntman Terry Leonard--took a real shot to the nose), I can see the letters FRO or ERO (or maybe just RO) on Indy's left glove. I checked the cast list and don't see any likely suspects. Of course, back then they didn't list everyone and his grandma's dog in the credits... (Maybe it actually says "HERO.")
Last edited by Oildale Jones on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.