ultimate Indy hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

davex247
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

ultimate Indy hat

Post by davex247 »

What is the ultimate indy hat? assuming money's no object and forgeting any that was actully used by Harrison Ford or the stunt team. which one is the Piste de résistance of Indy fedoras available to buy. And why?
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: ultimate Indy hat

Post by djd »

I think the general feeling would be the AB, AB deluxe and John Penman's hats. Why? Hand made quality using top quality materials. Plus of course the AB's were used in CS. Having said that there are many good quality feds available now that weren't there a couple of years ago.

There's tons of info on them if you search the site :) Me, I've got my eye on one of SoC hats from LLS here...
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

My vote goes to either the AB, AB Deluxe, and Penman. These hats are the ultimate in quality and durability. These are the hats that I imagine Indy would have worn in real life. These are the ultimate Indy hats.

Dave
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I would say the same - though there's nothing like a decent fez either :P
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Wait, you mean it's not the dorfman pacific...?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

No no no. Y'all are all wrong. THIS is it!

Kyle
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Let me put in my vote for the "Big 3" as well, Steve Delk, Marc Kitter, and John Penman.

I have 2 hats by John Penman right now and they are simply fantastic. Everything I would hope for in a hat.

I had one of Steve Delks hats in my hand about a month ago, and then sent it in for a reblock. Again, it's a fantastic hat that I feel would last me many years.

And I should be getting my AB Deluxe from Marc in the next 2 months I'm guessing. For everything I hear, the materials he uses in his hats are the very best, par none.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

The ultimate Indy fedora would be to own an unused Raiders fedora that was left over from that film. And there is probably one out there, somewhere, if you had the bucks to afford it.

The next would be an unused LC fedora, from the film, and I am sure those are out there too, if you have the bucks.

Then, not to pad my own cell, but the CS fedora, one from me or Marc, since you would get basically the exact same hat that Indy wears in his last film. Warts and all. Unlike the HJs, we still use the same suppliers for our felt, sweats, liners(some of them) and ribbon. And even the same thread used for the film hats. Nothing has changed to date. And won't unless one of our sources goes belly up. All brims are cut by hand, and the hats are made on the same style blocks we used for the film. If you wear Fords size, I even use his exact same vintage block for my replications. Although I have copies of it, I still use his block if you wear a 7 1/4 through a 7 3/8 for all the hats in his size that I make.

Other than this, there are several Indy hatters that will give you something that would exceed what other hatters sell as Indy hats, and they are all here on this board. So, just pick whom you want, and no doubt you will be very pleased with what they make for you. These guys know the Indy fedora better than anyone else. It's their forte. You can't go wrong with any of them. Heck, we helped train two to them, to carry on our tradition, and they do it very, very well. When I hang up the tools, we have top men that will keep our tradition alive and will outdo me, as both are very gifted guys.

Now, on factory hats, Indy hats, and I am not being predjudiced here at all. The Henry, and the soon to come revised Henry will set the standards for factory made Indy hats. We are tweaking this hat for the future, that mostly involves the color of brown used. And probably the color of the sweatband, to better match the original Raiders fedora. That is in the works, but is quite aways off before we can do it.

I personally don't care for the other factory Indy hats, except the Akubras, but that's just my own personal tastes, and does not reflect anything but that. But understand, I am a hat snob in the highest sense of the word. I dig quality, in a really big way. But, I also understand, many are not like me. And I sure don't diss them for not being like me. Everything that I own is the best that I can find, quality wise. But you don't have to be this way in order to own a good looking hat, that is, an Indy fedora. Most of the hats I don't care for, look pretty darn good. But being a hatter, I see things that really bug me, but my OCD doesn't help either!! :lol: So, everyone must take what I say with a big grain of salt. My personal quirks enter into my opinions. And that is as honest as I can get. Just because I don't like a particular brand, does not mean anything but just that. Others love em'. They even rave about them. That is their right to do so. And I have no doubt, they honestly feel the way that they do. I have a hard time understanding this, but again, I don't understand the other political party! :lol: The one I don't vote for. :lol: So at the end of the day, we like what we like, and that is just the way life is. One man's trash, is another man's treasure. Hats are no different. Unless you are OCD like me. :lol: Fedora
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

The best Indy hat is the one that makes you happy. :mrgreen:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:The best Indy hat is the one that makes you happy. :mrgreen:

hang him. :CR: :D

I would have to go with Steve on this one. Go to the guys who have made the hats for the film. Not only did they make the Indy 4 film. They make the dang best hats out there. hands down.
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

I agree with many members here and say If you can only own one hat go with one of the makers of an actual film hat. Myself I chose an AB. I love many of the different styles from all of the movies, but I had to get the AB CS because if you are going to buy from the man that made the film hat I figured I would get the hat he made for the film. I must say the more I wear this CS bashed fedora the more I really love the look. It has become my favorite style of the bunch. It says class and adventure at the same time.

Beaverlid
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

beaverlid wrote:I agree with many members here and say If you can only own one hat go with one of the makers of an actual film hat. Myself I chose an AB. I love many of the different styles from all of the movies, but I had to get the AB CS because if you are going to buy from the man that made the film hat I figured I would get the hat he made for the film. I must say the more I wear this CS bashed fedora the more I really love the look. It has become my favorite style of the bunch. It says class and adventure at the same time.

Beaverlid
Agreed.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:The best Indy hat is the one that makes you happy. :mrgreen:

WHAT HE SAID!! :clap: :clap:
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

I have never even seen a AB, AB Dlx, or Penman in person. But after all the searching I did, I know those three are the tops. :tup:

Altough I do agree with this statement:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

See what you started. :D
davex247
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by davex247 »

BendingOak wrote:

Oops! :D
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

davex247 wrote:
BendingOak wrote:

Oops! :D
Actually...........(Moderator edit: please mind your language, including "local" colloquialisms. )

IT'S MINE!!!!!!! MUAH-HA-HA-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ;)
hoose55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hoose55 »

I'm certain this has been asked, but, Steve is there a timeline or rough estimate as to when the new AB Henry will be available? Other than color is there anything else that may be different? I love your hats and am inspired by the fact that you guys are fans that embraced a hobby that ended up weaving you into the fabric of the actual films. Freakin' cool.
J-
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I'm certain this has been asked, but, Steve is there a timeline or rough estimate as to when the new AB Henry will be available?
Gosh, not really sure. I have just been talking to Marc about it in the last week or so. So, at this point, I am not even 100 per cent sure we will even do it. But he seems open to the idea. I just had this idea that we should change the color of the felt to one that is lighter in color, to match the CS fedora, and to shoot for a better Raiders color. And make one change to do that. Now, I know the CS and Raiders fedora were not the same shade of brown! But I just think I would like a Henry in a different shade of brown, and then since the Raiders and CS fedora had a brown sweat, that might be something we wouild want to change as well. I am completely happy and even astounded with the bow work as it is now, as well as the blockshape. While it is not the Raiders block, to my eye, it was at one point in time used by HJ for one of their old models. Plus, my own yielded both looks pretty darn good! Our efforts involved using a block that would yield both hats, so a bit more versatile that other blockshapes we could use. Fedora
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

not to sound arrogant, but I always said that the color of the Henry did not convince me at all. I mean, I LOVE its color (very classy) but it's not a Indy brown, let alone a Raiders brown. Indeed, I think the Christy's Sable is much more a SA color.

just one thing I would change about the blockshape of the Henry: the back. it's way too tapered, in my eyes. I know that a nice deep back crease solves the problem, but still I'd think the back should be just a little less tapered
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Restless Dreamer wrote:not to sound arrogant, but I always said that the color of the Henry did not convince me at all. I mean, I LOVE its color (very classy) but it's not a Indy brown, let alone a Raiders brown. Indeed, I think the Christy's Sable is much more a SA color.
I don't think the Henry was meant as a Raiders hat. Sure it could pull it off nicely, but I think it was made to be more of a CS hat, so that might be the reason why it's not really a Raiders brown. I'm not sure, but it's just a thought.
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

Fedora wrote:While it is not the Raiders block, to my eye...
Aha! Steve agrees with me! :mrgreen: I liked my Henry a lot for a number of reasons, but I never thought it was a completely accurate Raiders block. And now that I have a Garrison Raider I can really tell the difference.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

jnicktem wrote:
Restless Dreamer wrote:not to sound arrogant, but I always said that the color of the Henry did not convince me at all. I mean, I LOVE its color (very classy) but it's not a Indy brown, let alone a Raiders brown. Indeed, I think the Christy's Sable is much more a SA color.
I don't think the Henry was meant as a Raiders hat. Sure it could pull it off nicely, but I think it was made to be more of a CS hat, so that might be the reason why it's not really a Raiders brown. I'm not sure, but it's just a thought.
It was originally meant to be a cheaper CS fedora to help handle the incoming tide of CS orders, yes, but a few months back Marc found evidence to suggest that the block being used for the Henry is the original Raiders Block. So I would say it can pull off the Raiders look VERY nicely. -M
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

The ultimate Indy fedora would be to own an unused Raiders fedora that was left over from that film. And there is probably one out there, somewhere, if you had the bucks to afford it.
Why not take this one step further and break it down into which hat from which scene? Do you want the actual streets of Cairo hat with HF's sweat stains and everything? Maybe it's the truck chase hat or the Raiders opening scene hat. Now that would be the ultimate Indy hat! Money would not have to be an issue to obtain these pricey collects hats. They belong in a museum! :TOH:

I can see it now - a fan film reality show of someone attempting to sneak in to the Smithsonian or HF's actual Jackson Hole home to get out of there with the hat. You would get chased, but not for long. If you could put enough sand in a bag to match the weight of his hat it would all be yours!

Indiana Jake
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Indiana Jake wrote:
Why not take this one step further and break it down into which hat from which scene? Do you want the actual streets of Cairo hat with HF's sweat stains and everything? Maybe it's the truck chase hat or the Raiders opening scene hat. Now that would be the ultimate Indy hat! Money would not have to be an issue to obtain these pricey collects hats. They belong in a museum! :TOH:

I can see it now - a fan film reality show of someone attempting to sneak in to the Smithsonian or HF's actual Jackson Hole home to get out of there with the hat. You would get chased, but not for long. If you could put enough sand in a bag to match the weight of his hat it would all be yours!

Indiana Jake
The hat you speak of is already in the hands of a member here: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27157 ;)

Steve's AB's are awesome! As well as Marc's great work! But I have a sneaking suspicion that John's work is of the same quality and LLS' work is quickly getting there or there already. These guys are the ultimate in Indy hats in my book, even though I have not yet had the chance to hold hats made by all of them in my hands. Why do I advocate hats that I haven't seen in person yet? because people here that I know know their hats have, and I trust their judgement.

Regards, Geert
hoose55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hoose55 »

Thanks for the reply, Steve! THat's awesome of you! I love every photo I've seen of your hats. I hope to own one soon.
J-
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I would have to go with Steve on this one. Go to the guys who have made the hats for the film. Not only did they make the Indy 4 film. They make the dang best hats out there. hands down.

Very kind and generous John to say this...but remember you sent me one of your hats to critique, and I told you then, I could not make it better!! And I meant every word of that. I am so proud of your work, and how fast you picked this up. I fully support you and LLS to the nth degree. Both of you are my kind of folks. And given my age, I know you guys with time will surpass everything I have done. You guys along with Marc will carry on the tradition that I started here on this very board several years ago. Folks wil come and go in the future, but you guys will still be here many years from now. When I am delegated to the rocking chair, I will be able to say, "hey, I helped teach that guy how to make hats!!" And be proud of doing so.

When this thread said "ultimate" I was only thinking along the lines of what would match the film hats exactly, or near exactly. And that is why I used the examples I did of the Raiders, TLC, and the CS. No other reason than that. It's all in how you define "ultimate" and I only defined it in one very narrow way. Because otherwise, I could be seen as arrogant, when I know I am not at all that way. Hatting involves a learning curve as most crafts do. There are still things that I do not know about hatting. I am still learning some stuff. Now, most I will never use, because I will only make Indy fedoras until I hang it up, but I still like to learn. I am a student, and have had that mindset all my life. I am still working on this deal of making a hat that is more taper proof than anyone else's. That is where my interest mostly lies today. And to be able to do it with rabbit is my quest, since that is the most taper prone fur out there. Fedora
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Thank you Steve :notworthy: You are " the Man." I read the thread as he wanted to buy the very best Indy hat on the market. That to me is your hats hands down. there are subtle little things you do that just amaze me my friend. I love how you tack on your bows. they have such an organic aspect to them just like the raiders hat had. I still look at every pic that is posted on your bow work, hoping to learn something new. Thats just one small reason my friend.

I know you think I'm nuts ordering another couple of hats from you and waiting a long to to get it but I will always be a fan of your hats. thanks for being you.

John