A few of my favorite hats; HJ, Fed III, Downtowner

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

A few of my favorite hats; HJ, Fed III, Downtowner

Post by DeWayne »

I took a few pics of my favorite hats. I used a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, as it's well-known for having little distortion. Of course, there's going to be a little as with any pics.

This my HJ that I got in June of 1999. I love this hat because I actually talked to Mr. Swales on the phone when I ordered it. After hearing some other stories.... I must have caught him on a good day, he was extremley pleasant and ended the call with "I'm going to get to work on this straight away". It may have been because he knew it was a B-day present from my folks to me. My Mom had gotten on the phone to give him her cc number. In any case, he wasn't kidding. I had the hat less than a week-and-a-half later.

Is it a perfect Indy hat? No, but I love it for what it is.

This is my Fed III that I got from eBay a couple of years ago.

My Downtowner I got just before Halloween. It's still covered in a pretty layer of concrete dust. With a darker ribbon, this hat could be nearly perfect.

There's some larger versions of the pics in this album;
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/ ... /Indygear/

Thanks for looking!
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: A few of my favorite hats; HJ, Fed III, Downtowner

Post by DeWayne »

Ya know. I wanted to! The problem is focus and the self-timer. One of these days I'll have to have someone operate the camera on the tripod for me. Once I get some I'm happy with, I'll glady post pics of my hats on my noggin.
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

Those are some nice hats, DeWayne, especially the HJ! That's very interesting, too - the front of your bow is kicked up just like whipwarrior's Swales-made HJ from the same approximate time. I wonder what the thing was with Swales and that front bow. :-k I've never seen any fedora's with that before whipwarrior's.
Last edited by jasonalun on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

DeWayne wrote:I took a few pics of my favorite hats. I used a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, as it's well-known for having little distortion. Of course, there's going to be a little as with any pics.

My Downtowner I got just before Halloween. It's still covered in a pretty layer of concrete dust. With a darker ribbon, this hat could be nearly perfect.

Thanks for looking!
Please tell me more about this Downtowner. Ive never heard of it, and its a very cool hat. Is there a site where I can see these for purchase? Thanks.
Insomniac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Insomniac »

Please tell me more about this Downtowner. Ive never heard of it, and its a very cool hat. Is there a site where I can see these for purchase? Thanks.

Todd's
http://www.toddscostumes.com/
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Insomniac wrote:

Todd's
http://www.toddscostumes.com/
Thank you.
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

As I mentioned in one of the Downtowner threads, I saw DeWayne's photo with the Downtowner in the 2009 Gear topic last week and immediately went to the Todd's Costumes site and ordered one! It should be here in a few more days!

Glad you posted more hat shots. I've had a terrible time trying to take hat photos -- getting the right background and lighting is more difficult than it would seem -- so I appreciate having these pics to study as hat photography examples.
hoose55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hoose55 »

Those are some great lids. I really dig the Downtowner, particularly. It appears to have a stiffness to it that I like, is that true? Again great hats!
J-
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

How much for the HJ?

...No, seriously. I want it. How much. ;)

Dave
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

DR Ulloa wrote:How much for the HJ?

...No, seriously. I want it. How much. ;)

Dave
Seriously, Dave? Your gonna ask this guy to sell you his Swales-made HJ he got for his birthday? :Dietrich:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

It was just a question. I'm not forcing him to sell it. I wouldn't sell it even if it wasn't a birthday gift. But, it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Dave
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

Hoose 55, Yes the Downtowner is a very stiff hat. It's a nice contrast to the other hats, which are very soft.

DR Ulloa, I think the price for me to sell the HJ would be ridiculously, insanely high. In fact, in my world it's priceless. :lol: I get very attached to my gear, especially my M.B.A. gear and this HJ. It's gear we're just not going to see again.

I will say, if anyone ever has the chance to get a Swales-HJ, don't hesitate. It not may be the most accurate Indy hat but as an Indy fan it's an awesome thing to have. :TOH:
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

DeWayne wrote:Hoose 55, Yes the Downtowner is a very stiff hat. It's a nice contrast to the other hats, which are very soft.

DR Ulloa, I think the price for me to sell the HJ would be ridiculously, insanely high. In fact, in my world it's priceless. :lol: I get very attached to my gear, especially my M.B.A. gear and this HJ. It's gear we're just not going to see again.

I will say, if anyone ever has the chance to get a Swales-HJ, don't hesitate. It not may be the most accurate Indy hat but as an Indy fan it's an awesome thing to have. :TOH:
That changes things a bit for me. Stiff hats give me a headache. I suppose with some (a lot?) of wearing and/or handwork it softens up a bit?
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

scottyrocks6, you might then want to take a look at the Todds Uptowner, which I hear is much softer than the Downtowner.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

DeWayne wrote:Hoose 55, Yes the Downtowner is a very stiff hat. It's a nice contrast to the other hats, which are very soft.

I figured as much. Smart thing, too. Don't let that go. There aren't many examples of Swales' Indy hats. Its a beauty.

Dave