Wested lambskin thickness slevees

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndyAl
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Wested lambskin thickness slevees

Post by IndyAl »

Hello everyone. I wanted to ask a question for those with a lambskin Wested. I have some Westeds and I have realized that in the back of the sleeves (one o the two) the lambskin is softer and thinner than the one above, being more wrinkled and appears to be more fragile (on back sleeve, to the wrist).
The jackets are new, and I think in this part appears (only in appearance) is very fragile. Curiously, the same panel, at the elbow, touching the skin is thick, like the rest of the jacket.
Do you have seen this detail on your jackets?

Thanks.
Holt
Craftsman

Re: Wested lambskin thickness slevees

Post by Holt »

yes of course. this is natural.

the heat from your arm breaks the skin more in on the underpanel of the sleeve. the under panel gets more wear too. thats why, this is normal with thinner skins. I have this on my thin goatskin aswell,
Gringo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gringo »

I know I will get in trouble for saying this somehow, the President of Willis&Geiger (Burt Avedon) in 1989 told me on the phone(when I was selling there products),said they used the lesser quality hides in the back, thinner, crappier, etc...because it saved on money. Hence,"get rid of there scraps"he said. I agree with Holt. The heat and chaffing is a factor.

I did not really like my 80's horsehide A-2 they made. Others did.
to each is own. All the originals(30s and 40s) were good.

And to answer your quetion IndyAl, yes my Wested lambskin has the same effect. I still love it and my cat likes the soft underside(because she flips the sleeve over too sleep on it). Take care.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I believe it also has something to do with the other parts of the jacket receiving more abuse by the elements.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Yes Willis&Geiger's products at the end were not so great that way.

Lost Worlds Horse Hide A-2 seem to use thicker, stiffer leather on the back of the sleeves.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

...but IndyAl *did* say that his jackets are new! :-k
IndyAl
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyAl »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:...but IndyAl *did* say that his jackets are new! :-k
Thanks for your answers.
One jacket is 2 year ago.
Other 1 year but used one or two days only

I have the habit to stick my hand into the pocket of jeans, you might be why that part is wrinkled. Anyway, the leather seems thinner in this part of the back of the sleeve.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

As a guess:

1) I think skins come in varying thickness within a batch, so there may be some difference through out any particular jacket.

2) Some slightly less pristine looking skins may be used in less 'obvious' areas such as in the side panels, facings or reverse of the pocket flaps and under the arms.

3) Normally Wested have discarded the more wrinkled areas of the skin, though recent requests have had some wanting more 'character' so they may have started using more of the wrinklier areas.

Anyway, I have some jackets where the insides of the pleats and the underarms are more grainy than the tops of the sleeves and the front panels so this is possibly an example of this judicious use of skins.
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Arca Perdida »

Not just Westeds either. I have a US Wings lambskin that has the same sleeves characteristics described here.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I've noticed this on some of my Westeds, too. My second Raiders lambskin had mis-matched hide on the front and back of the arms, but my HH was consistent throughout. On my Novapelle CS, the back of the sleeves have very thick, dense leather, while the fronts are a bit thinner, and have a more pebbly grain quality. Details like this used to drive me crazy, but I got used to it.