My Indy Guns

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

My Indy Guns

Post by Kokopelli »

I have completed my collection, now I'll be tweaking the Smith and the Colt a bit.
S&W model 1917 .45: made in 1918. This will be a Stembridge conversion. I'm going to have the grips checkered and outlined to match as well.
Inglis Hi Power clone 9mm Parkerized finish.
Colt O.P. .38: made in 1948, I've located the correct grips for this one- these are the earlier bakelite style.
Webley Mk VI: made in 1916, .45 conversion
Webley WG: dob unkown at this time, .45 conversion

I'm not interested in collecting the bad guy's guns...neither is my bank account! (...and while the MK IV is also SA, it is up for grabs in the Bazaar.)
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: My Indy Guns

Post by hocfutue »

I envy that WG!

Hmm, now I have to get a copy of the YIJ DVDs and see what he was carrying during WWI...
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerman009 »

Great looking collection! :clap:

If you're going for the Stembridge conversion with the 1917, may I suggest these (http://www.gungrip.com/detail_RCG27__03 ... grips.html) instead of having the originals checkered. In order to get the right look, it will take some distressing.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Nice bunch of handguns! :clap:
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Dangerman009 wrote:Great looking collection! :clap:

If you're going for the Stembridge conversion with the 1917, may I suggest these (http://www.gungrip.com/detail_RCG27__03 ... grips.html) instead of having the originals checkered. In order to get the right look, it will take some distressing.
Thanks for that link! I looked for a set and couldn't find any. To have mine checkered was going to be around the same price as these, so that's a good deal! I could sell the originals to make up the cost of the correct Colt gr \:D/ ips.
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Very cool - you got some nice pieces there. :tup: Image
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerman009 »

Kokopelli wrote:Thanks for that link!
You're welcome! :D I'm glad you liked them. I considered those myself before I found these in an antique mall for $10.

They are vintage (1920-1929) K frame grips on a newer N frame revolver. They fit pretty well.

In the above photo you can see where the left grip panel was broken and repaired. See the little gouge at the bottom of the grip, you can see a faint line from their going up and to the left. The checkering is pretty much worn smooth, but they look really good.

In fact, I am planning on getting rid of this gun in favor of a different gun that fits my style better. :Plymouth:
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Dangerman009 wrote:
Kokopelli wrote:Thanks for that link!
You're welcome! :D I'm glad you liked them. I considered those myself before I found these in an antique mall for $10.
I take it back. I hate you.
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerman009 »

Kokopelli wrote:I take it back. I hate you.
:shock: :lol:
If I hadn't got your PM before I read this, I might have been a little concerned. I appreciate it.
The Pilot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by The Pilot »

I've posted this before, but it's been a very long time since I've been here; so here are my 'close enough' guns:

.455/.476
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by .455/.476 »

Pilot,

That Red 9 is gorgeous! Has it been refinished?
The Pilot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by The Pilot »

Yes, but I don't know when. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet. I got it last Winter (or was it Autumn?) and the weather was kind of bad. And I misplaced my keycard for the range, and I've only recently gotten a replacement -- just in time for the holidays and the cold, wet weather!
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

That IS a nice Red 9! :tup: ( wish I had the funds to get my Bolo Broomhandle restored - hopefully next year [-o< ). Image
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerman009 »

What have you done about grips for the S&W?
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Dangerman009 wrote:What have you done about grips for the S&W?
nothing...yet. Every option seems to be 75 to 100 bucks so far!
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Where does one look to buy a vintage gun like these? I would love to have the Raiders gun - owning a resin replica just seems too 'fake' for me for some reason - anyone agree?
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

you can usually buy metal models of the mauser and 1911, check around the web.
The raiders revolver though, not sure about that one...
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Just depends on where you are in the world. In the UK for instance, you could only legally own deactivated ones (a WG will set you back £500- upwards. Harder to get the right S&W models over here). Even a realistically painted replica is illegal to sell.
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerman009 »

generalFROSTY wrote:Where does one look to buy a vintage gun like these? I would love to have the Raiders gun...
Here in the U.S., you can find many real vintage guns at the online gun auction sites (gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com, among others), one in good condition usually goes for close to what a new one does. Many people prefer the old guns to the newer production guns (I'm talking about S&W guns). As far as I know, there is no new production of any of the Colt double action revolvers, Webley, or Mauser guns.
android
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by android »

Dangerman009 wrote:
generalFROSTY wrote:Where does one look to buy a vintage gun like these? I would love to have the Raiders gun...
Here in the U.S., you can find many real vintage guns at the online gun auction sites (gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com, among others), one in good condition usually goes for close to what a new one does. Many people prefer the old guns to the newer production guns (I'm talking about S&W guns). As far as I know, there is no new production of any of the Colt double action revolvers, Webley, or Mauser guns.
For some like the M1917, you can also buy a real reproduction from S&W. But compared to what I bought a real one for, they are pretty pricey. But if you can afford it, and want to modify it, at least you won't be chopping up a vintage firearm.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... sFirearm=Y
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

A few questions about that SW:
Is that THE raiders gun, or 'close enough' (will I have to modify it any - aside from 'weathering' and such)
and second, is that reproduction gun a real firing gun, or just a display piece?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

The S&W linked to in the post directly above yours is as real a revolver as you can get. There's nothing fake about it whatsoever. Depending which Raiders revolver you want to emulate (the Baphy or the Stembridge) you'll have to get the barrel cut down and a different sight put on the gun. However, if you're like me, you'd leave it as is and enjoy the gun as it was intended! ;)
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerman009 »

Take a look at this 1917 that's available right now on gunbroker.

It says that the barrel has been cut to 3 1/2" and a front sight soldered on. The seller says it's mechanically fine and has fired several rounds through it. I think one of us should get it. I am tempted to get it myself.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

That one looks pretty good for the price - and I believe someone posted a link for replacement grips earlier.
It's not in my budget anytime soon to get a real revolver but I do like researching it a bit.
Who makes 'the best' Raiders revolver replica (from the opening scene)?
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Dangerman009 wrote:Great looking collection! :clap:

Has anyone bought these grips yet? Any pics? I'm curious about what they look like. Was thinking of getting them.
android
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by android »

There's also a pretty ugly M1917 on the classified section of the Texas CHL website. Not much bluing left on it and the wrong grip, but some of you might want to take a look. I just got one, so I'm out for now.

PM if you can't find the link on your own. I have no financial interest in this item, just passing along the news.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

I got my 1917 at a gun show here for $350. which was about what I wanted to spend. I handled another much nicer one with perfect finish, the guy wanted $600 for it, but mine 'looks' more the part. -now if I can get some grips that aren't an arm and a leg!