Crystal Skull turn

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indy_Werner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Crystal Skull turn

Post by Indy_Werner »

IMO the CS pic definitely has the turn or at least SOME brim warp effect. I tried to visualize that scene looking straight on, but it still seems that the left side is very different than the right side... in a Raiders way. When I first saw that shot in the film i was like "whoa". Maybe Bernie decided to give us a raiders turn in the first close up of Indy?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Maybe Bernie decided to give us a raiders turn in the first close up of Indy?
No not intentionally. Bernie hated the turn. And he hated the Raiders fedora with its tight from crease. Much to our chagrin. So we sent him straight hats, but with TLC creases, per his demand. They liked TLC hat, and wanted to use that crease style. Fedora
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Fedora wrote:
Maybe Bernie decided to give us a raiders turn in the first close up of Indy?
No not intentionally. Bernie hated the turn. And he hated the Raiders fedora with its tight from crease. Much to our chagrin. So we sent him straight hats, but with TLC creases, per his demand. They liked TLC hat, and wanted to use that crease style. Fedora
That is too bad on the Raiders crease. I need to post the pic I found in our English book of Langston Hughes sporting a fedora with that tight front crease. While I like the TLC crease as well, the Raiders' crease is very, well, sharp. :oops:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I think they were just after some continuity with TLC in so far as the hat goes. I also thnk it was Steven's fav hat of the series, TLC hat that is. Which surprises me. The Raiders fedora has the most character of ANY of the Indy fedoras. IMO.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I think that Last Crusade gear is the crew's favorite gear costume.

you can tell they really wanted to recreate the look of LC Indy. hat, bag, jacket, shirt. gunbelt. web belt. darker whip.

but I agree with Steve the raiders has the most charcter of them all. I love the raiders fedora.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Here's the picture I was talking about with Langston Hughes. Very sharp fedora, I say. and goes to prove that the tight crease on the Raiders fedora was actually used (and that the Raiders crease wasn't a caricature in some way).

DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

There's a pic of Bogart that I have somewhere of him in a black hat with a sharp pinch front crease. I'll see if I can find it. Backs up exactly what you are saying which I agree with 100%.

Dave
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I have seen the tight crease in numerous hats in the old films I watch. There really isn't anything new in hatting. They had plenty of years to try everything! Fedora
WalkingEye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WalkingEye »

a good friend of mine, an older gent, (he was also a good friend of my grandfather and is quite the hat afficianado) saw me wearing one of my lids that has a raiders bash and commented, "ahh great hat! I've always loved that icebreaker pinch." Further evidence that people actually wore our favorite bash in real life. i've been calling the raiders pinch an icebreaker ever since. i think it's fitting.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I like that. Now when people say, "Is that an Indiana Jones hat?" I can say, "Why no, it's an Icebreaker Fedora."

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

That is a great name for it. I think I'll have to steal that one. ;)
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

Gang -

Has anyone used these two photos to estimate the difference in brim width between the two films?! We know that Raiders was a teensy bit wider (2 5/8, right?) but it might be fun to actually demonstrate it with these photos - all you computer folk.

A thought at least.

:)