Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Nick
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

What type of leather should I chose?

Post by Indiana Nick »

Hey everyone,
I'm going to order my first Wested jacket.
Probably a ToD style long version.
Unfortunately, I know nothing about the different types of leather etc.

I want a darker coloured and durable jacket since I WILL be using my jacket on "expeditions and adventures". What's the point in owning an indy jacket if you're not gonna use it?

So what, like Cowskin? Goatskin? I don't know.

Dr. Jones Jr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dr. Jones Jr. »

Im not that much of a Knower, but ive been here long enough, and read enough posts to know that It goes from weakest to strongest thus: Lambskin, Cowhide, Goatskin...not sure about lambstouch, youll have to rely on the other, more knowledgeable guys.

-Chris
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Lambstouch, i believe, is between Cowhide and Lambskin.

It is probobly good enough for the occasional, mild adventure, but still has the softness near that of Lamb.

Also, the leathers get stiffer as you go along the spectrum, altering the drape of the jacket somewhat.

Regards,

Farn
Indiana Nick
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Nick »

So what you guys are saying is Goatskin then... ?
Any idea as to the warmth? It gets pretty cold up here in Canada... eh?... and also real hot in the summer. will Goatskin provide warmth in the winter and breathability (is it even a word) in the summer?
Thanks for the help so far.
:)
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

If I were you, i would go Cow.

It strikes me that Cow is the happy medium; thats why I went with it. Mine is plenty warm for the COLDEST days, and can be made warmer with an m-35 field jacket liner (info available in another thread). Also, i've worn it on warmer days when it was just cool (say, 10 Celcius or less) and I've been comfortable.

Goat would, I imagine, be warmest in the winter as it is heavier--I could be mistaken. If that were the case it would be TOO warm in the summer evenings.

Either way, Cow or Goat, at the height of summer, would be too warm. As in, you couldn't wear either adventuring as an accessory. If it is too warm for a Cowhide, in my opinion, it's too warm for a jacket.

The plus side is that my cow (predistressed) can crumple down REALLY small, to a nice little bundle of stuff (a la Chicken Freight Plan on TOD). So, on warm days, I simply carry around a pair of foot and a half pieces of ribbon; when it gets too warm for the coat, the jacket gets bundled up and stored under an arm or in a rucksack.

Note that I've never owned a goat, so I could be mistaken, but I'm about 70 percent sure on the warmth issue.

Regards,

Farn
Indiana Nick
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Nick »

I SHOULD be studying right now... but hey, procrastination is too strong. And besides, my cultural anthropology class can wait. Thanks again for the specs, Farnham54. Cowskin sounds appropriate, and I've seen your pics: sweet stuff. Now I gotta wait for the dough.
Cheers
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

No problem;

keep in mind though that Pre-D cow IS ever so slightly less durable then un-distressed cow. Not much though; if you go to the "Scrapbook" section and read "Craig-o's adventure of the day" you will see that mine rolled across some bricks without a scratch.

Regards,

Farn

PS Good luck on the exams!
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

I have the lambstouch and I love it, I dunno if I would say its the warmest of the leathers available however. Regards, Brett :)
SAB
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SAB »

The goatskin is supposed to be lighter and thinner than the cowhide.
Its also stronger.

Cowhide is still very strong, but heavier and thicker - so much warmer.
(which is why I went with the cowhide)

I don't think there would ever be an issue between predistressed cowhide and normal cowhide in regard to durability.

If you want the ready made indy look, get the predistressed.
I went for the new cowhide, and am kind of regretting it because after wearing it for a while, I'm understanding that the thing is so tough that it'll take 20+ years of 'natural distressing' to look anything like an Indy jacket.
Thats a big thumbs up for Wested's quality I guess :wink:
SAB
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SAB »

If it is too warm for a Cowhide, in my opinion, it's too warm for a jacket.
this is also my opinion. If its too warm to wear my jacket I'll be in a t-shirt.
I mean I love the indy jacket, but not so much that I have to wear it in any temperature. :wink:
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Just to chip in that I can also recommend the Cowhide - I've never owned a goatskin, but comparing my cowhide to my lambskin is like chalk and cheese, in terms of durability, warmth and practicality. The cowhide comes out top on every point for me.

But it depends what you want to use the jacket for, I suppose. Lamb is nice for a 'dressy' jacket, but I wouldn't even consider wearing it for a hiking trip or suchlike. The Cowhide can take anything you throw at it.

With regard to Cow versus Goat (sounds like a 50's B-movie...), I believe the goat IS regarded as being 'more durable', but the Cow feels like it could be dragged behind a truck from here to Peru and still stay intact :wink:

I did read that the goat is best for rainy weather etc. due to it's water-repellent properties.

Be sure to go through old posts here on COW and check out the various pictures - make your own mind up.

Regards

Al
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That is correct, goat has natural water repealency to water. You'll have to treat the cowhide to achieve that. Regards. Michaelson
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Currently being torn in 20 directions, at once! (As usual ....)

Post by Modern Jones »

Michaelson wrote:That is correct, goat has natural water repealency to water. You'll have to treat the cowhide to achieve that. Regards. Michaelson
Could you guess then, that goat more "dense". Or something about the natural pores or oils?

Skip
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It's supposed to be fiber tensile strength and density that gives it the natural water proofing. That's why the Navy switched from horse and cowhide to goat during WW2. It' lighter in weight, but MUCH tougher than COW, and water resistant. (credit Rundquist for this info) Regards. Michaelson
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

It's supposed to be fiber tensile strength and density that gives it the natural water proofing. That's why the Navy switched from horse and cowhide to goat during WW2. It' lighter in weight, but MUCH tougher than COW, and water resistant. (credit Rundquist for this info) Regards. Michaelson
This has piqued my interest since I have had interesting experiences with trying to get a newer horsehide jacket to absorb conditioner. I thought it was a secondary coating issue and not the leather itself, but then I saw this:
Horsehide has many unique properties, it is immensely strong and durable even in the extreme conditions and, unlike other hides, horsehide is naturally waterproof.
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/aboutus.htm

It seemed to explain a lot. It really does not apply here since Westeds are not offered in horsehide (I already asked Peter a while ago). I do have to admit, I have seen more horses go through water in movies than goats :roll: I also have several old horsehide jackets that **** in the leather oil like Star Jones in a twinkie factory. Go figure...
Shalimar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Shalimar »

Well based on info from others I chose to go w/the authentic goat
I'l impatiently ](*,) waiting for it's arrival of course so I can't say yet
but there are others here that have such already and we Canucks arn't the only one's to get cold weather. I'm sure someone can testify as to the goat's winter wearability. :wink:

As soon as mine arrives I'd be happy to post up my findings though!

Shal
:whip:
Indiana Nick
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Nick »

Thanks again to everyone... though a bit overwhelming, I'll make my choice when i decide to buy it... in a couple of months. It would make a great "end-of the year" and birthday Present... heh heh heh :wink: 8) man they look like cool jackets. Now back to studying: next exam: Paleoanthropology... kick it!
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Paleoanthropology! Sounds right up my alley! Wanna trade for theories of International Relations? :D

To the Vets who chimed in; thanks for the correction on the issue of which leather is heavier: Goat or Cow. I wasn't positive on that one, but now I am and that little fact shall be subbed into my memory.

regards,

Farn