I'm ordering Todd's DOWNTOWN, now what! LOL

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

I'm ordering Todd's DOWNTOWN, now what! LOL

Post by IndyFanChuck »

*** Update: Todd was sold out of the Uptown, so I ordered the DOWNTOWN instead!

Hey guys,

So, tomorrow I am ordering Todd's Uptown. It is the best for the money from what I have seen, researched, and read. And since I am REALLY low on cash right now, I think it's right up my alley for a first time Indy hat. (First time since I was a kid!)

When it arrives, I would like to dirty my Indy Fedora up and make it look as close to Indy's hat as possible after say - a fight with a nasty German solider under an airplane. Or, I'd like the Fedora after fighting a truck full of German's and stealing back the Ark. Or, I'd like the hat to look like I just fought a ton of Thugee soldiers! Or, I'd like the hat to look just like..... :D

So, I thought you guys would have some really helpful suggestions that would help me "age" and dirty up the hat, without actually damaging it or ruining it.

Thanks!!!!

---Chuck
Last edited by IndyFanChuck on Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: I'm ordering Todd's Uptown, now what! LOL

Post by jnicktem »

You can check out the Fullers Earth right off of Todds site. That might be what you are looking for.

http://www.toddscostumes.com/category/5 ... ers-Earth/
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

Go to http://www.toddscostumes.com/ and get you some of his fullers earth. Be careful because I have heard, never tried it, but I have heard it doesn't come off of the felt very easy once applied. I could be mistaken. I am sure others will chime in about the use of fullers earth. Good luck with it and post pictures when you get it.

Beaverlid
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

Sorry about the double advice. jnicktem must have been typing at the same time I was. Quickdraw beat me to it.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

:TOH:
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

I have spent the past full week researching and reading old threads. It has been fun, if a tad bit tiring! LOL I need about 9 more hours in the day for Indy! haha

Thanks for the advice. I will wait until it comes in, then post photos of what I try. I think plain old American, Arkansas, Southern, dry dirty might be the trick.

Otherwise, I will just try to get drug behind a truck!

Please feel free to chime in if you have advice for me on dirtying up the Fedora! I will continue to research!

---Chuck

Tundrarider wrote:Chuck,

Unless you plan on having "a fight with a nasty German solider under an airplane" or "fighting a truck full of German's and stealing back the Ark" or "fighting a ton of Thugee soldiers" you are going to have to artificially distress your hat for the look you want. (Don't feel bad, though...Someone had to do the same for Harrison's hats! ;) )

I really think you should do a search in both the "gear care and distressing" and "The Fedora" sections on this board. Knowing you don't want to ruin your hat (and don't have 30 more hats to beat up in case you do,) you need to gather as much info as possible. Learn from other members' trial and error and good advice. Don't just rely on the handful of good folks who respond to this thread.

Dig! :dig:

Amazing what you will uncover. For example, you'll read much about Fuller's Earth, but you'll also read that Fuller's Earth is really just overpriced kitty litter. Further digging will describe how to put the kitty litter in a blender to get the right consistency. Then you might read somewhere about putting the earth in a sock and using the sock to beat your hat within an inch of it's death. :o

And that, my friend, is only scraping the surface. ;)

Amazing pieces of knowledge buried around here!

Congratulations on your new hat! Be sure to show us what you end up doing with it!

Michael :TOH:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

ArkansasIndyFan wrote:I have spent the past full week researching and reading old threads. It has been fun, if a tad bit tiring! LOL I need about 9 more hours in the day for Indy! haha
:clap: :clap: :clap: THAT'S the way to do it! Jump right in, do a lot of reading and research, and THEN ask your remaining, well thought questions. I wish more folks would do that! Most importantly, though, you're having fun doing it, which is what truly matters at the end of the day. :TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

omg. he deserves an award. :clap:

this I like :D
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Thanks Rick, thanks Eric! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to RUIN it by doing something stupid. Common Sense isn't common, at least not in Arkansas! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Indiana Holt wrote:omg. he deserves an award. :clap:

this I like :D
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

ArkansasIndyFan wrote:Hey guys,

So, tomorrow I am ordering Todd's Uptown. It is the best for the money from what I have seen, researched, and read. And since I am REALLY low on cash right now, I think it's right up my alley for a first time Indy hat. (First time since I was a kid!)

When it arrives, I would like to dirty my Indy Fedora up and make it look as close to Indy's hat as possible after say - a fight with a nasty German solider under an airplane. Or, I'd like the Fedora after fighting a truck full of German's and stealing back the Ark. Or, I'd like the hat to look like I just fought a ton of Thugee soldiers! Or, I'd like the hat to look just like..... :D

So, I thought you guys would have some really helpful suggestions that would help me "age" and dirty up the hat, without actually damaging it or ruining it.

Thanks!!!!

---Chuck
well you will be very happy with the hat i know i was when i got mine and i have posted pics on the other uptowner threads --- :D :D
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I've applied fullers to my Keppler, and it does come off with a good brushing. BUT, beware that it does lighten the ribbon. I've got before and after photos somewhere. I'll dig them up and post em.

From the pic I saw of IndyClone's Uptowner, it does look really nice!

randy

EDIT::

It seems I cleared the photos of the hat with fullers, from my hard drive, but I do have the after.

After removing the fullers from my hat, the ribbon looks as if it's sweat stained.. which to some may or may not be a good thing. [For me it's ok as I wear my Keppler for casual situations]
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

that keppler look mighty good !!!!
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Thanks! It was originally a Crystal Skull I rebashed and turned to be more Raidersish. It's an old friend now, I've had it a little over a year.

Randy
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

OH the horror! Todd just emailed me, he is SOLD OUT of the Uptown.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Wow.. bad for you, but a very good sign for Todd! :( :-k :D Is it your size that's sold out or all sizes?

Randy
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

if your budget is really tight and you just want something dust-like to sprinkle on the hat here's an option.
Roll a newspaper up really tight, secure it with tape and saw through it like a log a few times. collect the 'saw'dust. The overall colour will be light grey but the individual flecks will not be.
For an even spread sprinkle it on from a good height.
It'll stay on quite well because it's fibrous but it can be brushed off too.
If you want to stick the dust to shoes you can just polish them but Don't buff them. Sprinkle it straight onto the sticky polish and let it dry. it will wipe off when you are finished with it.
If your Jacket is shiney leather you can 'stick' the dust on by first applying a light, neutral hand cream. it will also wipe off. But Dont do this to matt or washed leather, it will change the finish.
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Thanks a lot for that advice! That seems easy enough to do! Thanks again! \:D/

enigmata_wood wrote:if your budget is really tight and you just want something dust-like to sprinkle on the hat here's an option.
Roll a newspaper up really tight, secure it with tape and saw through it like a log a few times. collect the 'saw'dust. The overall colour will be light grey but the individual flecks will not be.
For an even spread sprinkle it on from a good height.
It'll stay on quite well because it's fibrous but it can be brushed off too.
If you want to stick the dust to shoes you can just polish them but Don't buff them. Sprinkle it straight onto the sticky polish and let it dry. it will wipe off when you are finished with it.
If your Jacket is shiney leather you can 'stick' the dust on by first applying a light, neutral hand cream. it will also wipe off. But Dont do this to matt or washed leather, it will change the finish.
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

If Todd's sold out of the uptowner we should be getting some nice pics and reviews soon.
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: I'm ordering Todd's DOWNTOWN, now what! LOL

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Okay, I just JUST ordered the Downtown, since he was sold out of the Uptown. So, hopefully it will be here before long. There's nearly a full month before Halloween. I sent Todd a message asking when to expect delivery.

Needless to say, I am exceedingly excited about getting my Fedora!!!!!!!!!!

----Chuck
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

ArkansasIndyFan wrote:Okay, I just JUST ordered the Downtown, since he was sold out of the Uptown. So, hopefully it will be here before long. There's nearly a full month before Halloween. I sent Todd a message asking when to expect delivery.

Needless to say, I am exceedingly excited about getting my Fedora!!!!!!!!!!

----Chuck
when i order from todds regular delivery i get it within seven days , thats from california to illinois . and with todd making the crown smaller on the downtowner you will have a nice hat , that will last a long time --- you will be happy with it , i'm happy with mine even tho my wife hates the higher crown , but she doesnt get it, women! :D no offense to our ladies on the boards :-k
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

I'm thinking I'll get this next Wednesday. Mail in Arkansas tends to ALWAYS run slow, and sometimes not at all! You would just not believe every few months the stories on the news about Arkansas Mail.... SIGH....

Maybe if I threaten them.... Kali Maaaaaa Kali Maaaaa Bring my Hat soonnnnn

:rolling:
Roninjedi
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Roninjedi »

ArkansasIndyFan wrote: Maybe if I threaten them.... Kali Maaaaaa Kali Maaaaa Bring my Hat soonnnnn

Om Nom Shivai Om Nom Shivai Om Nom Shivai! :o

Seriously, though, I'd really like to know how the Downtowner compares with, say, the Christy's Adventurer and Akubra Fed IV. I'll keep poking around the archives.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Roninjedi wrote:
ArkansasIndyFan wrote: Maybe if I threaten them.... Kali Maaaaaa Kali Maaaaa Bring my Hat soonnnnn

Om Nom Shivai Om Nom Shivai Om Nom Shivai! :o

Seriously, though, I'd really like to know how the Downtowner compares with, say, the Christy's Adventurer and Akubra Fed IV. I'll keep poking around the archives.
You won't find the Downtowner in the archives: it has only been around for 3 or 4 months ;)

Regards, Geert
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Dowtowner!!! I'm sure you will as well. In the past, I've found that just plain old dust works pretty good, and with a hat brush it will clean off nicely.
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Clean it off! Why would you want to clean off the dust! haha Kidding.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

ArkansasIndyFan wrote:I'm thinking I'll get this next Wednesday. Mail in Arkansas tends to ALWAYS run slow, and sometimes not at all! You would just not believe every few months the stories on the news about Arkansas Mail
When ordering things from Amazon, I HAVE to pay for expedited shipping.. unless I want to wait WEEKS to get the item. Anytime a package goes through Jacksonville, it sits there for days before moving on [and of course that's the route Amazon stuff comes via the cheap shipping]

I'm looking forward to seeing the hat ArkansasIndyFan!

Randy
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Thanks Randy! Guess what should be here in the next 48 hoursssssss??????

My first adult Fedora!!!!

Seriously, I am so exited I feel like a kid again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

theinterchange wrote:
ArkansasIndyFan wrote:I'm thinking I'll get this next Wednesday. Mail in Arkansas tends to ALWAYS run slow, and sometimes not at all! You would just not believe every few months the stories on the news about Arkansas Mail
When ordering things from Amazon, I HAVE to pay for expedited shipping.. unless I want to wait WEEKS to get the item. Anytime a package goes through Jacksonville, it sits there for days before moving on [and of course that's the route Amazon stuff comes via the cheap shipping]

I'm looking forward to seeing the hat ArkansasIndyFan!

Randy
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

That hat came in the mail today! And it doesn't fit! Not even close! I don't understand how I measured incorrectly as I followed the directions to a T, and even had my wife measure again just in case......

SIGH........ I am mailing it back to Todd tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the right size quickly. Also, I didn't know how stiff the hat would be. It's a bit.... stiff. LOL
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

If you haven't already, I'd touch base with Todd. I'm sure he'll get you sorted out.
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

Here are some photos of the Downtowner I bought last June.

I've reshaped the brim and crown. I've also lowered the height. The hat’s lost a lot of its stiffness. It’s still not soft and floppy, but it’s nowhere near as stiff as it was when I first got it.

Scott
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

looks very nice --- i hope to get more wear and tear in my hat soon , now that the colder months are coming.
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

What a bummer. I got Todd's shirt in the mail today. BEAUTIFUL shirt for the price. It was about 2 sizes to small. What a shame. I think maybe the sizing chart on Todd's webpage is either off, or I am disgustingly fat and too stupid to measure correctly. haha

They are letting me exchange the items, so kudos to Todd for that. I just hope I get them in time for Halloween!
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

ArkansasIndyFan wrote:What a bummer. I got Todd's shirt in the mail today. BEAUTIFUL shirt for the price. It was about 2 sizes to small. What a shame. I think maybe the sizing chart on Todd's webpage is either off, or I am disgustingly fat and too stupid to measure correctly. haha

They are letting me exchange the items, so kudos to Todd for that. I just hope I get them in time for Halloween!

yes todds is great for exchanges --- he really knows how to keep his customers happy !!!! i just ordered the staff of ra headpiece from him last night and it was 10% off right now til oct 25th just like everything is on sale , best time to stock up on his items :D
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

ArkansasIndyFan wrote: I think maybe the sizing chart on Todd's webpage is either off, or I am disgustingly fat and too stupid to measure correctly. haha
No, there is definitely something off. The last jacket I ordered should have fit perfectly, but it was too small. In light of your hat sizing problem I'm hesitant to order a Downtowner. I wear a 59. My HJ and Fed are both 59 so I would be perplexed if a 59 from Todd's didn't fit. Shipping and restocking fees add up when making exchanges for items that should fit.
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

If I can't get the right size the SECOND time, then I will take my business elsewhere. But I am giving Todd the benefit of the doubt. I have noticed a LOT of people who have the same issue, and I have read a LOT of talk about having to send back sizing problems to Todd.

But, I'll give Todd his second chance. As long as the new shirt, and new hat fit perfectly, I am a happy customer. If not, then Indy Magnolia has a new customer! :mrgreen:

I kidding. Just joshing. But really, I think everything will be okay. If not, I'll keep you all posted. I DID spend 31$ dollars to ship the Fedora and shirt back today. :Dietrich:

DeWayne wrote:
ArkansasIndyFan wrote: I think maybe the sizing chart on Todd's webpage is either off, or I am disgustingly fat and too stupid to measure correctly. haha
No, there is definitely something off. The last jacket I ordered should have fit perfectly, but it was too small. In light of your hat sizing problem I'm hesitant to order a Downtowner. I wear a 59. My HJ and Fed are both 59 so I would be perplexed if a 59 from Todd's didn't fit. Shipping and restocking fees add up when making exchanges for items that should fit.
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

I don't know what to think at this point. It's been 7 days and I have not heard from Todd about my ill fitting Fedora and shirt. I called, I emailed.

I may have no choice but to get a refund from Todd and take my business elsewhere. Which is a shame. It takes 60 seconds to send an email to a customer. :-k

---Sad Chuck
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Chuck, I can say from experience that our post office in Pine Mountain really BLOOOOOOOOOWS! It's a very small town and it really is the worst post office I've ever seen, and as such, it seems to take several days longer to receive expected items than any other post office.

I can't comment on Todd's absence in returning your calls and emails. He was on the forum quite a bit yesterday, so you might consider sending him a PM. I think I saw him posting this morning too.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Chuck, have you tried giving Todd a call? I have on several occasions to much success.. sorry if you did say you had, but I didn't notice that.

Todd's CS [customer service, not Crystal Skull] is excellent, in my experience.. all of once I had to return something.. for a mis-size, I wore a larger shirt than expected!

Randy
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Rather than go into it all, I will just say that I am getting a refund and am severely disappointed. ](*,)

Moving on. Maybe we can lock this topic. Momma always told me when I was young, if you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all.

Taking the high road on this one boys!

---Chuck