Magnoli Adventure Pants

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Chaval85
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Magnoli Adventure Pants

Post by Chaval85 »

I received this a week ago from Magnoli and these are wonderful! The thing that I had been most worried was the pants color but I think that Magnoli did an awesome job with this! I've looked for a "Raiders" pants and I've found it! \:D/

Don't worry, here are the pics :P :

Natural light, no flash

Natural light, using flash

Artificial light, no flash

Artificial light, using flash

Note how the colors are different in each photo. Impressive!

Good material, good craftmanship, great pants! :clap:
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Magnoli Adventure Pants

Post by TheExit148 »

Great pants! They look very nice, pocket flaps look pretty good too, but maybe a close up of them... ;) What material/colour did you choose for these?
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

I have the Magnoli Adventure pants and they are perfect.

W.E.
darth_ming
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by darth_ming »

Happy to see your are satisfied.
But, I'm still thinking the famous "wool blend" is not a quality fabric, even more, I think charge over 100 bucks for a Polyester pant is not a deal to me.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

darth_ming wrote:Happy to see your are satisfied.
But, I'm still thinking the famous "wool blend" is not a quality fabric, even more, I think charge over 100 bucks for a Polyester pant is not a deal to me.
I don't think Magnoli's blend is poly, but wool/cotton. And I can say from owning them that they are far superior to most other trousers I've owned.
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Material? Color? Have a pic wearing them? Did you order exact or request a baggier, loose fit?
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Does anyone have Magnoli's that they can compare to the Wested's? I have Westeds, and love them. I know I saw some photos of both side by side along with Noel Howard trousers. I'll see if I can dig that up.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Here it is!!! I knew I'd find it!!!

viewtopic.php?t=32117

It has some great photos of several different pants for color.

The Magnoli's in the photos in that are far too light for my taste, but he may or may not have a closer color since that thread.
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Thanks Maboot38. I just ordered a pair of Mag's a few minutes ago, and chose the dark khaki. I have the Wested's but am not crazy about the fit.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Oh, yeah. Magnoli's pants are a bit light in color. I think the all wool ones look a bit darker, but apparently it's not easy to find the right color. I think one of his darker colors might work better.
Chaval85
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Chaval85 »

Well, these photos that you mentioned are from a year ago. Magnoli pants are not so brighting in color now. More photos, comparing with the Magnoli shirt in Stone color:

No flash, pocket flaps in detail

Flash, pocket flaps in detail

Comparing colors, no flash

I think that it's pretty close to this.

Nevada Jones, the material is Wool Blend and the color is Dark Khaki. The fit is "loosely fitting". I will try to make some picture wearing the pants if I have some time this weekend...
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Thanks for the reply. I ordered exactly what you did: Dark Khaki, Wool blend, with a "loose" fit. We can compare specs when mine arrive :)
weaponx24
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by weaponx24 »

whats up guys....I ordered my first pair of Magnolis. I riginally owned a pair of Westeds pants but was unhappy with the way they fit. I didnt like how they fit like they were tapered. They were super tight on my quads. Im hoping that these are better. Im a little nervous though because I did all the measurements myself. I hope I didnt screw it up. :-k
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Magnoli's are great but my favorite is the NH Indy pants which used to be available through Wested but sadly is no longer available. To me, the color, fit, style and fabric is unsurpassed.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I would have to agree. But seeing that the NH well has run dry I would say Magnoli's deserve a go. I am seriously thinking about it...now where's my wallet? :P
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

well, after 6 years this is my first post here at c.o.w. i've been lurking and collecting all this time and have found tons of usefull info here. so far i have collected most of the gear, and so far, i'm short of the perfect pair of pants and the perfect color shirt. as far as the pants are concerned, i have been hesitant to make a purchase because someone is always coming out with a new product and i don't like wasting my hard earned cash on multiples of the same item. the (right) pants seem to be the most sought after as i.m.h.o., no one is yet to match the color of the original raiders pants. magnoli can most definately match the right fit for each individual, however, i'm not yet convinced ,through all of the dozens of pics, that his dark khaki color is the closest. based on what i see here on line, they make a great match for last crusade or crystal skull, not raiders. now, westeds color look almost right on, but the taper i keep hearing about doesn't impress me enough to make an order. so i suppose the search will continue until i can meet someone close to me( central florida, by the way) that has some comarisons i can see with my own eyes. until next time..later
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Send an email to Magnoli. Perhaps he can send you a few fabric swatches of other colors in his wool blend material (if you're willing to go that route). If I ever get another pair I plan to go a shade or so darker, myself.
darth_ming
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by darth_ming »

I'm sure this trouser are not wool/cotton, is impossible. I owned a pair of Magonli's and I can tell you for sure is poly/wool blend.
About the color is completely far from right.
Anyway, the construction of the trousers are fine, made by a taylor for sure. But this is the only thing would make this trousers valuable,

Of course, if you are happy with them, I'm happy too. But I prefer the Wested, at least they are made with Cavalry Twill and this fabric is really more expensive than the fabric Magnoli uses.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Actually, Magnoli has a choice of three fabrics for the trousers - cotton, wool blend, and 100% wool. Odds are, the ones you have are the blend, based on what you are saying. Nowhere on his website does he claim that the blend version is wool/cotton, but I don't know enough about fabric to say with authority.

In any event, one can not compare the blend to the cavalry wool of Wested. Instead, compare Magnoli's wool to Wested's. I like the color of the Wested's better, but I value proper fit and cut over color, or even fabric, for that matter.

So, the value of Magnoli's blend trousers is really subject to the buyer's priorities, as are any other options available.
darth_ming
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by darth_ming »

That is right!!!
That's why is so important share differents opinions, to help the future buyers to choice with all information they can obtain of a place like this.
You are satisfied with the trousers, I'm not, because I paid more that 100 bucks for a polyester blend trousers is too much (anyway, I did). Of course you can always choose the Magnoli's 100 Wool Cavalry Twill but, in that case you have to pay almost 200 bucks!!!!!

I don't think the Wested trousers have bad shape, of course I'm a 5'11" and 165 pounds so is very difficult to something could not fit me well, but, that is another history.

Well, always you can send to a good taylor to make fit to your body.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

My main complaint with the Wested is the tapered legs. They cling too the boots too much, at least for bigger sizes. There isn't enough fabric to let them out enough... at least on mine. But they'll do when my NHs and Magnolis are indisposed.

Anyway, you are correct. Differing opinions are helpful, especially when we explain our reason for liking or disliking something. Normally, I would agree with you about paying so much for a pair of poly-blend trousers. However, being a tougher person to fit, I consider the price from the "custom made to fit ME" angle. If I had your body type, perhaps I would feel differently. Every offering has it's place in the market.
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

The most frustrating thing about the pants situation is that no one seems able to put together the correct fabric with the correct pattern and fit.

Magnoli's got the tailoring down, but all of his fabric options fall short compared to the original cavalry twill.

Wested has good fabric (though still not quite heavy enough) but the pattern and the fit aren't accurate.

It seems almost unbelievable that neither of these fine vendors have been able to put it all together and offer a pair of pants that looks good, fits well, and is made out of the correct material.
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Too bad Magnoli can't get Wested fabric?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Peter would probably cut out his own heart... with a spoon... before letting Magnoli in on that one. :rolling:
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey All,

Magnoli's pant's are "close enough", but really no better than Westeds. Magnoli does have good looking back pocket flaps. And he has added the sloped seam above the back pockets, but it slopes the wrong way! Further, the seam stops at the "added on" waist band. The seam should run up to the top of the waist through the false waist band. Here is a sort of "schematic" of the upper pants details:

The back pocket on the right is how it should look, the left side shows the slope details. The lines that are black show separate pieces (or the pleat edges), the dark brown lines show top stitching (which matches the dark brown pockets). Light lines show pleat details. Button hole thread matches the tan buttons. No top stitching on the belt loops- none. All seam are plain seams. This drawing is based on the screen used Raiders pants KT Templar photographed at Wested some time ago. Will someone please get this right. :TOH:

Dan S
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

I think I'll wait for Todd's. [-o<
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Is he working on these yet? If he's not, he should - heck, he's made every other piece of clothing and gear apart from the socks and the boxer shorts! :P Image

EDIT: Whoops - just found the thread on Todd's upcoming pants ( I gotta use my eyes more ).