Having Todd's boots resoled?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Having Todd's boots resoled?

Post by IndianaBogart »

Ok, so I'm thinking about finding a cobbler and having my Todd's boots resoled. I haven't really had any problems with them, except for the heel wearing very quickly, but with the cooler weather getting here and I'll be wearing them more, I figured it may be a good idea. BUT I must admit that I really don't know much about shoes, so what do I need to ask for exactly? I figured I would go ahead and replace the speed hooks while I'm at it, but if I can find a cobbler, what do I need to tell him I want done with the soles? Do I just tell him that I want them replaced, or what?

Thanks in advance for any help,
-Bogart
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Having Todd's boots resoled?

Post by Soup »

Try to be specific with the repair shop, IndianaBogart. They will have different options for you to choose from. I was fortunate to have mine resoled by an orthopedic shoe repair shop. I had them put on leather soles, Vibram heels and a Vibram sole protector. They looked the same as original, but made a much better boot. This has been over 6 months ago and they still look great. Sorry I don't have pictures though. Do you really need the speed hooks replaced? Mine are still in good shape and I have worn my shoes for 1 year, at least 3-4 times weekly. If you can't find someone locally to do the repair, I can give you the number for the repair shop here in Winston. I paid $65.00, worth every penny.

Regards,

Soup
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

Thanks for the help Soup. My problem is I don't know what to be specific about. :-k That's kind of what I need help with, knowing what to ask for, etc. As for the speed hooks, I had just heard other people say that when they took theirs to the repair shop they were told that they were cheap and needed to be replaced. I've worn mine for nearly a year now, and have had no problems thus far, but one of them looks somewhat like it could come out. So I thought I would just have them done while I'm at it, depending on the price. As for the shop in WS, would they let me mail them to them if I can't find a local shop?

Thanks,
-Bogart
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

I was just looking on-line for shops in Charlotte, so that I could try to have them re-soled over my fall break, and I found what seems to be a really nice place right in downtown. Under 'soles and heels' on their site here is what they have listed (or at least what would apply to my boots): Men's Full Leather Sole & Heel; Men's Half Sole; Men's Half Sole & Heel. They also have all-rubber one-piece Vibram soles listed, as well as 'orthopedic build-ups'. So what would I need to pick for a pair of Indy boots? :-k

-Bogart
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

IndianaBogart wrote:I was just looking on-line for shops in Charlotte, so that I could try to have them re-soled over my fall break, and I found what seems to be a really nice place right in downtown. Under 'soles and heels' on their site here is what they have listed (or at least what would apply to my boots): Men's Full Leather Sole & Heel; Men's Half Sole; Men's Half Sole & Heel. They also have all-rubber one-piece Vibram soles listed, as well as 'orthopedic build-ups'. So what would I need to pick for a pair of Indy boots? :-k

-Bogart
You'd want a full leather sole and heel. I would also go with vibram sole and heel guards. I have some pictures posted on page eight of this thread: Todd's boots

V/R,
DLJ
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Dragonlady Jones wrote:
IndianaBogart wrote:I was just looking on-line for shops in Charlotte, so that I could try to have them re-soled over my fall break, and I found what seems to be a really nice place right in downtown. Under 'soles and heels' on their site here is what they have listed (or at least what would apply to my boots): Men's Full Leather Sole & Heel; Men's Half Sole; Men's Half Sole & Heel. They also have all-rubber one-piece Vibram soles listed, as well as 'orthopedic build-ups'. So what would I need to pick for a pair of Indy boots? :-k

-Bogart
You'd want a full leather sole and heel. I would also go with vibram sole and heel guards. I have some pictures posted on page eight of this thread: Todd's boots

V/R,
DLJ
I agree DLJ, leather soles and Vibram heels and protectors. How are yours holding up?

IB, PM me and I will get you the name of number of the shoe repair here in Winston, if you would like.

Regards,

Soup
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

Thanks for the help guys; Dragonlady, yours look to be much sturdier than the soles that come on them. :whip:
Now that ya'll have replaced the soles on your boots, do ya'll feel like you have to "baby" them (for want of a better word) or are you rough on them?
And Soup, I'm gonna try this place in Charlotte, and if it doesn't seem like it'll work out I'll shoot you a PM.

Thanks again guys,
-Bogart :TOH:
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

IndianaBogart wrote:Thanks for the help guys; Dragonlady, yours look to be much sturdier than the soles that come on them. :whip:
Now that ya'll have replaced the soles on your boots, do ya'll feel like you have to "baby" them (for want of a better word) or are you rough on them?
And Soup, I'm gonna try this place in Charlotte, and if it doesn't seem like it'll work out I'll shoot you a PM.

Thanks again guys,
-Bogart :TOH:
No worries. I don't baby them at all. I wear them to work a couple times a week as well as puttering around the house. They've held up great. The speed hooks on mine don't show any wear. However, they do annoy me, so I'll probably have them replaced with plain old holes at some point.

DLJ
Last edited by Dragonlady Jones on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

Good to know. It'll be another week and a half or so before I get a chance to have them done, but I'll post updates when they're finished.

Thanks again,
-Bogart
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

I just dropped my boots off at the cobbler's this morning. He was a really nice guy and when I told him that I thought I need the whole sole replaced he said that the soles were fine and that I only need the heels replaced. He seemed to know what he was talking about so I just went with having the heels replacedfor only $18. I haven't had any problem with the soles so far so maybe this will be all I need to do. He also said he was gonna make sure that the speed hooks were tight and not coming loose. I go to pick them up later this afternoon, so hopefully this should be a good experience. [-o<

-Bogart
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

That's good news IB, usually the soles will seperate (unglue) which is why you would have to replace the soles, as I did. Glad you have a good pair, heels should last awhile .

Regards,

Soup
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

That's a good deal for you Bogart. Much cheaper, I've had two dealings with cobblers lately, one I didn't fully trust, the other, I did. The first, was a disaster, the second was perfect! Sounds like your guy knows his stuff.

Randy
sallah4
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sallah4 »

I am about to buy some why they are on sell. Are they good?
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

One thing that keeps me from buying more SA boots is that I will wear the soles out way too fast.

I have a pair of Rockport Farnums that I have for about 18 months and I have had them resoled once, but the original sole I had worn down almost to nothing, but now with the new sole I was told I should be good for years but I have already begun to se noticable wear on them... I do walk alot I delevied mail at the university and am a Realtor...

Now to the Todd's boots part so I am not hijacking...What is a good sole to have put on, so that way when I buy some I can explain to my wife that they will not wear out in 9 months?

Todd's boots are best bang for the buck I think out there right now.
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

I picked mine up at 5:00 this afternoon. The cobbler put Vibram heels on them and they look better, cause they definitely needed new heels. For the time being the original soles are staying on, per his recommendation. But when they wear out I'll have leather soles put on them.
BTw, he also polished/conditioned them before I picked them up and the leather looks better than when they were new. And darker and more SA in color to my eyes.

-Bogart
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

IndianaBogart wrote:soles put on them.
BTw, he also polished/conditioned them before I picked them up and the leather looks better than when they were new. And darker and more SA in color to my eyes.
Can we see some pics? Thanks!
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

I meant to put pics up when I picked them up, but I didn't get around to it, and unfortunately I don't have a camera with me here at school, so I might have to wait until the next time I'm home in a couple of weeks. :?

-Bogart
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

How are you liking the new soles, Bogart?

Randy
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

So far so good. They look really good, especially compared to the original worn-out heels. And they're Vibram, so they're a good bit quieter that the original heels were.

-Bogart
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

That's good. While I like the sound the boots make when walking, at times it can be a bit too loud and attention drawing. :shock:

Randy