I just got Todd's Indy Jacket in the Mail, WOW!!!!!!!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

I just got Todd's Indy Jacket in the Mail, WOW!!!!!!!

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Well, I got my Todd's Fedora, Indy shirt, and Jacket in the mail. The Hat was too small. The shirt was too small. But the Jacket was remarkable and fit like a GLOVE! I am returning the Fedora and Shirt to get the correct size.

But I have to tell you, I could not be happier with this jacket. It fits wonderfully, is SO LIGHT WEIGHT, which I was afraid of. I'm terribly hot natured, and this thing feels like a second skin. The leather and craftsman ship is amazing for the price. I am thrilled.

I just need to figure out how to dirty it up and weather it without ruining it. But since there are about 2.4 MILLION tutorials on aging and weathering a Todd's jacket, I will do some research and post photos of my results.

SO, I highly recommend Todd's Indy jacket. The Fedora was nice, the Shirt was nice, but they were just WAY too small! LOL

Okay, I'll take some photos and post them up here in just a few minutes. I wanna show you how great the jacket looks!

----Chuck
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Re: I just got Todd's Indy Jacket in the Mail, WOW!!!!!!!

Post by IndianaBogart »

Glad your new jacket fits and you're happy with it. :) For distressing it, unless you really want it to look worn, just try the shower treatment, or get it soaked in a downpour and then wear it till it dries. That's what I've done with mine and the rest has been natural distressing, and it's held up great for a year and a half now.

Enjoy it!

-Bogart :TOH:
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

My firist jacket was a Todd's standard. I got it about a year and a half ago. I wore it in the spring fall and winter and it has held up wonderfully. It was a bit shiney but bogart is right let it get wet via the shower or a good rain soaking which is how I did mine (rain) and the shine dulls away. It wasn't very warm in the colder winter months so recently I purchased a Wested ROTLA washed goat which is a bit heavier duty and will keep me warmer. I intend to still use the Todd's for the spring, fall months as it isn't a sweat box due to the lighter nature of the jacket.

Enjoy the jacket and wear it knowing it will last a long while and is an excellent buy for the price.

Beaverlid
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

After the water treatment, some Fuller's earth should do the trick for 'distressing'. You can wipe it clean with a damp cloth, and you're back to normal.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

;0

Just use some Fuller's Earth on the jacket to give it that "dusty" look without actually having to distress it.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Absolutely Arkansas, get the Fullers Earth. Todd sells it so when you get him to replace the hat and shirt, have him include a container of the Fuller's. I really works well to make the jacket and hat and everything else look worn in.

Which hat did you get from Todd?
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Okay, here are the photos of Todd's Jacket. I think it fits like a GLOVE. I've noticed, and this is simply an observation but I have noticed that when people are chubby LIKE ME, they tend to get jackets that are WAY too long. So, I am glad I went with the more Raiders-esque version. I think we fat guys should embrace the costume! :rolling: EMBRACE THE BELLY GUYS!

So, while it's not 100% screen accurate, it's close enough to make me happy! I am thrilled. I am disappointed that both the hat and the shirt were too small even after I called for clarification about the sizing - they still were too small.

But anyway, there is the jacket. I think I am going to start by getting it "dirty and dusty" and skip the actual weathering for right now. I kind of like how it looks. At least so far it isn't too shiny.

What do you all think? Should I go full weathering? What should I do here? Opinions? Options are welcome!

---Chuck
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

It's a nice jacket! It looks quite worn already - which I like. Nice and wrinkled in the sleeves. The hot water treatment is good - although it can cause shrinkage (and yours doesn't need that!) - plus as you say yours isn't shiney so it probably doesn't need it. I personally like a distressed jacket and have beaten each one I've owned up a bit. I guess I want an Indy jacket (which to me means distressed) not just a leather jacket like Indy's. I usually get the sandpaper out and do the raised areas lightly - not LC but at least ToD! :[
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Well, I'm not big into taking sandpaper to a jacket at all. I have weathered mine naturally through wearing it. All I've done to it other than that is wear it in the shower and definitely NOT baby the jacket. I throw it on the floor, leave it bunched up in the back of my car, etc. If you need it to immediately look beat up, definitely go the Fuller's route.

Which hat did you order from Todd?
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

The only one he had left in stock was the Downtowner. So, I went with what he had. I have been researching online a bit trying to decide what the MOST screen accurate Raiders hat is. That is my favorite hat. I'd like to get the best Raiders hat out there. THAT will be my next purchase. Well, I have to save up I am sure, but that will be my next big purchase. :whip:

maboot38 wrote:Well, I'm not big into taking sandpaper to a jacket at all. I have weathered mine naturally through wearing it. All I've done to it other than that is wear it in the shower and definitely NOT baby the jacket. I throw it on the floor, leave it bunched up in the back of my car, etc. If you need it to immediately look beat up, definitely go the Fuller's route.

Which hat did you order from Todd?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Do nothing to the jacket. Just wear it, enjoy it, and let it naturally form, fit, and distress with use. That's MY recommendation.

I wouldn't suggest you do the 'shower' thing either. It may (probably will) shrink slightly, and may make it a bit too tight for you when it dries.

Just wear it.

Regards! Michaelson
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

I am going to go with Michaelson on this one. I wanted to buy gear that will last me a lifetime. Natural distressing definately allows them to last a lot longer plus it gives your gear some stories behind the beat up look. You will appreciate it more. At least I do. To each his own. Do what suits you best.

Beaverlid
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Absolutely- it's a personal choice. I don't see a great deal of difference between me distressing my jacket and getting Tony Novak or Magnoli to do it for me. It's the final look I'm after regardless of how I get there :CR:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Of course in a perfect world, Michaelson is right (remember that, it's pretty much a rule!). However, my suggestion of using the shower was just if you were really really impatient and wanted to remove shine and beat your jacket up quicker. Of course natural wear is best for distressing gear, if you have the time to wait.

I wore Wested Raiders lamb in a lake while fishing the first weekend I had it, so I guess in that case a good soaking counts as natural wear!!!!
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

The jacket looks really good!

I'm curious on how the Downtowner was too small. I was actually thinking of ordering one of them today. Did the measurements not work out? Sorry to go o-t slightly, I'd just like to know before I place an order for the wrong size.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

ArkansasIndyFan wrote:I think we fat guys should embrace the costume! :rolling: EMBRACE THE BELLY GUYS!
I always used my jacket to conceal the fact that I was overweight; I never wore the gear without the jacket. When I started growing out of said jacket, I couldn't embrace it anymore. :lol:
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

i bought my jacket earlier this year and i loved mine , you will have this jacket a long time , let it get the wear and tear naturally, thats what i'm doing and the sizing chart gave me no problems when i ordered my shirt and hat , but if you move your cursor it may change the size so you have to double check when you scroll down the page , if you know what i mean .
my jacket fits great here is a pic of me in it with my downtowner hat
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

:)

Thanks for all the kind reply's everyone! I am NOT going to get it wet, I am going to let it distress naturally. I figure after wearing it around all winter, it will look perfect.

I am going to get it dusty with a combination of Kitty Litter and Dirt, which I am going to put in a blender and then lightly throw it on the jacket and see what sticks. That way no permeant damage takes place, but it looks dusty.

As for someone who asked me what size Downtowner I bought, I simply can't remember right now. I would have to go look at the reciept. I can tell you it wouldn't even go on my head. :rolling:

Tonight, I am taking photos of my gear. My Wested Indy Pants came in the mail, so I have some cool replica props and costume pieces now to share with everyone.

I am wearing the jacket RIGHT NOW as I type this too!!! :mrgreen:

:H:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Don't take this the wrong way, I just want to know...can you zip the jacket closed? From your photos it looks like the shoulders and sleeves are ok, but I'm wondering if it comes together in the middle. Maybe the side straps are pulled to tight?

I don't know...I'm glad to hear that you are happy with it. I'm just wondering if that is the right size for you. See how in this photo, the jacket hangs loosely, showing that there is plenty of material left for him to be able to pull the front together and zip it?

Now compare that to this picture, which looks like the jacket might not be able to meet in the middle to be zipped:

Like I said, it could be that your straps are pulled too tight, I'm just not sure how that jacket is going to work out for you at the size you have.

I hope I didn't offend you, just voicing a concern for your own benefit. Some of us have owned this style of jacket for a while and have a better idea of how it wears after time once it has been broken in, and I'm worried that you won't be happy with it.
hoose55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hoose55 »

You don't deal with people much, do you, maboot.
The jacket looks great, Enjoy!
J-
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

The jacket looks really nice. I had a Todd's for a while, too: they certainly look the part.

More importantly, though: Going by your first picture, I think we can all be content in knowing what Jack Nicolson and Meatloaf's lovechild would look like.
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: That made me laugh! Yeah, I get told I look like:

Jack Black
Nathan Lane
Eddie Vedder
Meat Loaf
Jesus

Those are the ones I get the most. You should see me with my beard. I grow it out 6 months at a time usually. LOL

Too funny!

kiltie wrote:The jacket looks really nice. I had a Todd's for a while, too: they certainly look the part.

More importantly, though: Going by your first picture, I think we can all be content in knowing what Jack Nicolson and Meatloaf's lovechild would look like.

kiltie wrote:The jacket looks really nice. I had a Todd's for a while, too: they certainly look the part.

IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

No, I didn't take that the wrong way at all. You were right though, I DID pull the straps tight and here is why: I wanted to show off my gunbelt, whip, and shirt a bit more. When I have them all. So, while it's not screen accurate, it is close enough for me. Also, Harrison Ford is very fit, and I am very FAT. Both "F" words, but opposites. :rolling: So, yes, you are correct but I will have the straps tight in order to show as much of my belt, gun, and whip as possible.

Remember, I am going for a "CLOSE ENOUGH" collection, not screen accurate. I totally have tons of respect for the people here who do the screen accurate thing. But right now I am too old, too fat, too tired, and TOO BROKE to do the Screen Accurate. As the years go by, I will probably try to get more and more accurate gear. But right now for me this is ALL ABOUT FUN FUN FUN, to accuracy. \:D/

No offense taken, I make fun of myself being fat all the time. the Jacket DOES zip up snugly in the front, but I will wear it just like that. Perhaps it will look better when I get my Todd's shirt in the mail soon!!

:tup:

maboot38 wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, I just want to know...can you zip the jacket closed? From your photos it looks like the shoulders and sleeves are ok, but I'm wondering if it comes together in the middle. Maybe the side straps are pulled to tight?

I don't know...I'm glad to hear that you are happy with it. I'm just wondering if that is the right size for you. See how in this photo, the jacket hangs loosely, showing that there is plenty of material left for him to be able to pull the front together and zip it?

Like I said, it could be that your straps are pulled too tight, I'm just not sure how that jacket is going to work out for you at the size you have.

I hope I didn't offend you, just voicing a concern for your own benefit. Some of us have owned this style of jacket for a while and have a better idea of how it wears after time once it has been broken in, and I'm worried that you won't be happy with it.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

hoose55 wrote:You don't deal with people much, do you, maboot.
The jacket looks great, Enjoy!
J-
Hey....new guy, settle down. One of the great things about this forum is our ability to be open and honest with each other, especially in the spirit of achieving a certain look or feel concerning our favorite movie hero. It is VERY common for folks to post pictures of their gear on here looking for honest feedback. If you are uncomfortable with anything I've said, perhaps it is because you are not yet familiar with this environment. We all treat each other with respect, but with honesty. In my honest opinion, it looked to me, FROM HIS PICTURES, that the jacket might not be the right size for him. I put that as sensitively as I could. I've posted photos of myself on here and have gotten feedback that was sometimes positive and sometimes negative, but always constructive. I'm continuing in that spirit. We don't blow smoke up each other's backsides, we try to help others get the gear they want and the look they are looking for, especially considering how expensive this hobby can get. I'd hate to see someone spend hundreds of dollars on something that they won't end up happy with. By posting his photos up here, it is understood that Arkansas is looking for feedback, and I've given mine.

Thanks for being judgmental and assuming that I don't deal with people much. Actually, I do, every day, very often, and I take great pride in being genuine and honest with people while being decent at the same time. I can only assume by your comment that you are uncomfortable because you thing that I'm saying Arkansas is too big for his jacket. As I said in my post, it only appeared to me that the jacket was either too small or pulled too tight. Arkansas has even confirmed my suspicion that the straps were pulled too tight. I wasn't making any comments about the guys size, just about the gear appearance in general.

If you aren't comfortable hearing constructive criticism, perhaps the My Little Pony or Rainbow Brite forums would be more your speed. :whip:

Arkansas, from your pictures I can tell you are NOT very fat. Heck, you look like you are built pretty average to me. Sure, we could all lose a few pounds. My concern is that if you weather the jacket you ruin your chance to exchange it for a bigger size if you want to, that's all. However, it sounds like you are happy with yours and if so, that's great, because it IS supposed to be fun. Just trying to help. I'll now go back behind the Plymouth. :Plymouth:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Nah, maboot. You can sit in the front seat tonight. Just don't play the radio. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Hey guys,

I think I'll post more photos of the jacket after I try to "dusty" it up some, for a lack of a better term. HA! Im going to go with the Dirt, mixed with Kitty Litter, in the blender, then Ill take it outside and try to make it look like I was in the catacombs!

Hopefully I can take a bit better photos for everyone to make comments on. I love the feedback. If not, I wouldn't ask for it! :H:

YOU KNOW WHAT! HERE IS A ROUND OF BEERS ON ME!!!!

\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/

:H: :H: :H:
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

kiltie wrote:More importantly, though: Going by your first picture, I think we can all be content in knowing what Jack Nicolson and Meatloaf's lovechild would look like.
That description is amazingly accurate!

Arkansas, I'm really interested in seeing a bigger version of your avatar pic now. :D
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

ArkansasIndyFan wrote::H:
YOU KNOW WHAT! HERE IS A ROUND OF BEERS ON ME!!!!
:H: :H: :H:
Sweeeeet!! Thanks Arkansas, I was thristy!!! However, let me also point out (and don't be embarassed, as MANY of us have made the same mistake...but Indy is NOT holding a beer in that smilie. He's holding a grail diary. If you look really closely, you can see that's not beer foam, but a yellow train ticket.)

Just thought you should know. However, I'll gladly take a round of grail diaries as well ;)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

okay enuff with the beer joke allready.

thats actually me holding a grail diary..

come on guys! you kill me!! :lol:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

ah,, maboot..

same time posting ;)
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Holt, you remind me of the babe.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

what babe? ;) :lol:

DONT get me started..Ill never stop!

:lol:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

The babe with the power...

ok, ok, I'll stop. :)

You know, I Dance the Magic Dance every day with my 6 month old playing that song, and when Bowie says "Jump the Magic Jump" I always throw her WAY up in the air.
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

What power?
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Oh boy.....

;)

So Arkansas, were you able to get in touch with Todd to get your hat and shirt situation settled?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thats nothing.. I take the bowie style all the way out..

I kick the baby :lol:

okay,okay.. we have to stop. :lol:
IndianaSVT
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaSVT »

The jacket looks great on you Arkansas, looking forward to some better pics of the jacket & the rest of your gear soon.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

ArkansasIndyFan wrote: Image

...I like this one. It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's Arkie jones! :P :lol:
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

I think the jacket looks great, but what really sets it off is the big kid grin WE ALL get when we get new stuff!

also, not sure what the sizing problems are that people are having. i know Todd, and have bought lots of stuff from him, and haven't had any sizing problems. Either way though, Todd is a stand up guy who's done tons for gearheads, and always does whatever needs to be done to keep his customers happy...at least that's been my experience.

CONGRATS again on your acquisition(s).

mike
sallah4
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sallah4 »

I think the jacket looks nice. Iam about to order some stuff from Todd too. cool 200 posts!
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

hey arkansasindyfan, i love the look of the jacket as well. i've been thinking of buying a todd's for some time now. i just wanna make sure the sizing is right, first. i already own a wested dark lamb. it's about 4-5 years old and i like it, but it's a little on the loose size ,so i've heard good things about todd's... we'll see.
i was curious. what size did you end up getting, and also, what are your measurements? this info just helps me when comparing for my own measuring and sizing vendor's products.
-jason
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

ArkansasIndyFan wrote:I think we fat guys should embrace the costume! :rolling: EMBRACE THE BELLY GUYS!
Can you do the Truffle Shuffle?

Kyle
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

This 'Arkie' guy bothers me. He's having too much fun. :-s

:lol: ;) :TOH:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

well arkie --- i think it looks great on you --- once you have all your gear please post those pics , :D
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Thanks guys. I am a BIT concerned. I called Todd's and left a message. No response. I emailed and asked them to call me. No response.

Hopefully they will contact me back about getting the correct sizes before Halloween.... hopefully.....
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

they should get back to you i called todds today about a order i did last week for the staff of ra headpiece and the said they were having problems recieving payment from my debit bank card and i would here back later today from them
NoodlesBubblesBeans
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NoodlesBubblesBeans »

After seeing this post, I really want to buy one of those! I've been looking at the same jacket for two months, but didn't know how well the jacket might fit or how light or heavy it might be. Unfortunately, I don't know when I'll be able to order one.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

okay, so after seeing this old thread you ended up deciding that you should get one when the fully alive Todd's jacket owners thread is at the top of the section page...

:-k
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I was very skeptical at first about buying one of Todd's jackets. I had read so many "It's too thin" and "costumey" lines, that it almost drove me away from it completely - then I actually opened my mind and started to get feedback directly from those who are happy with it AND have pictures to share.
Holt was a big help in sharing his knowlege of the Raiders jacket and how well Todd's jacket fits the bill. I was pleasently surprised when I recieved mine - not a thin costume jacket like so many had commented about - it's a real leather jacket, and the thinness of the leather actually works for it because it allows the jacket to drape and move just like the Raiders jacket in the movie.
I aged mine with some fine-grit sandpaper which I know is not always the preffered method but I am actually quite happy with the results - and I can always add fullers earth to it when I really want to make it look dirty.
It's a fun jacket to wear - I find myself putting it on just to wear around the house!