Wested goat good, stifness bad....

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Wested goat good, stifness bad....

Post by IndianaJames »

I heard once that someone threw their new goat into the dryer, no heat, with some towels to loosen the leather. Anyone actually try this?

Thanks

I J
I reposted this because I accidentally posted this in the gen gear section.... :oops:
Shalimar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Shalimar »

I've heard the same thing.. but would like confirmation etc before i go tossing my new Wested's into the dryer before I even get it :-k

Not to mention distressing an "Authentic goat" is under investigation :)

Shal
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

I put my authentic goat in a large pillow case in the dryer with no heat and it softened it up quite nicely. Of course, I did it for about five days.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I hope you weren't wearing it at the time. :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Shalimar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Shalimar »

Aww come on Michaelson... whats the fun of having an adventure like that if you arn't wearing it while tumbling round endlessly? :twisted:

Shal
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

I only wore it for the first couple of hours, until I began to develop a slight headache. After that I decided that the jacket could go it alone the rest of the way. :wink:
Shalimar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Shalimar »

Did you at least give your jacket some gravol 1st? :wink:
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Location: Location - the most important thing in real estate

Post by junior »

The dryer method does indeed work but for best effect you should fill the dryer with creek stones and then tumble.

junior
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

I recently met and talked to Lee Keppler and he informed me to do this if I ever order a goatskin jacket. Place jacket in a larger pillowcase and tumble in the dryer with no heat for about 3 days. He said it works wonders on softening up the goatskin leather. :D Brett
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Three Days?

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Three Days??? :shock: In all seriousness...would it be until adequate flex is achieved? :? Any suggestions?

Curious
Kilgour Trout
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yes. That's just what Lee did with his jacket with complete success , but results will vary from dryer to dryer. Regards. Michaelson
Shalimar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Shalimar »

three days???? :shock:

Hmm time to pull out the toolkit and bypass the timer assy! :twisted:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Just put her on 'air dry only', set the timer, and let her rip. You don't have to do it for 3 days straight, ya know? :shock: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

This, coming from the original dryer test pilot from the early years of the Wings and Expedition jackets too! :D :wink: Good to 'see' you, _, old friend!!!!

Just as a personal suggestion, do use a pillow case. If you use dryer sheets in your dryer, you'll discover that you'll find small dust like particles sticking to your jacket after it's been spun for a while. In a case, you won't have this problem. They are particles of fabric softner that stick to the drum of your dryer, and they'll come off whether the heat is on or not. Just a tip. It's nothing you can't brush off if you DON'T use a case, but it's just one less thing you'd have to deal with with done. Regards. Michaelson
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Thanks fellas, I finally received my jacket after 2 full months. Talk about the busy season.

Now, off to the dryer -

I J
Shalimar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Shalimar »

once again the group in here shows it's stuff in solving problems ~_^

btw.. while it isn't directly related I will be doing some tests on the "authentic goat" for treatments and distressing including testing Tana leather care products which are commonly available here in Canuck lands. No one seems to know if they are any good.. so testing time!! :shock:

And no I'm not testing on my brand new jacket.. which isn't here yet anyhow. I spoke w/Wested's and they are sending me a few scraps of goat to use for testing. Results of which will of course be posted in here. 8)

Any ideas/thoughts etc on tests feel free to chime in.. afterall the idea of such testing is for the benefit of others as well as my own jacket.
Hmm.. maybe when the scraps arrive I ought to make this a thread unto it'self :?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Good idea. It will get lost in this string. Give it a topic all it's own. Regards. Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

A lesson learned the hard way by this writer. :roll: Regards. Michaelson
indybill
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indybill »

I put my goat Wested in the dryer for the better part of a day when I
first received it. While wearing it is more fun :lol: , the jacket softens
up better by itself in a pillow case with the jacket zipped up. I'm counting
on natural distressing to do the rest over time.
ZeusCow
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ZeusCow »

I got my first leather jacket from a discount store, not Wested :c( it was just vaguly similar to the Indy, and my 7th grade income wasn't to huge...

anyway, I slept on/under/around/in it for 2 months straight... and that seemed to work well :c)

I'm ordering my first Wested as soon as I deside which to get [first]

Raiders... no no wait, Crusade, wait Raiders... no no Crusade... actually Raiders is looking pretty spiffy again... but so is Crusade...

It's time to flip a "coin of destiny"

Should I flip the buffilo head penny, or that Canadian coin with the goofy nose?
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

Wow, nice to see _ again...

Concerning goat, for all it's strength, durability, water-resistance, and good drape, I've heard it doesn't distress very well, and it tends to highlight toward gray, not tan or brown. Is this true? Does a goatskin jacket, even one that is dyed dark brown, start to turn gray in color?
david bourne
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Pecards jell

Post by david bourne »

I used Pecards jell and that helped to soften some of the stiffness.
Shalimar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Shalimar »

_.. noooooooooooo don't say that!!!!!! :shock:
I almost broke the bank ordering my 1st wested's to replace my "dead cow" A2 (Korean knockoff) :cry:

Though sadly your ideas of multiples are like a virus... infecting me w/the desire to own them all :twisted:

As far as flipping a coin go Canadian :wink:
synasp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by synasp »

Spatterdash wrote: Does a goatskin jacket, even one that is dyed dark brown, start to turn gray in color?
This is pretty important.. can anyone chime in? I may be getting a Wested soon, depending on some ebay-ing, and am leaning towards goat for its durability..... but not if it turns gray. I plan on wearing this to my grave. ;)

thanks!

David