Went to Wested, got a jacket...3 jackets....

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Went to Wested, got a jacket...3 jackets....

Post by crazylegsmurphy »

Hey All,

Yesterday I went to Wested to purchase an Indy jacket and ended up walking out of there with three. :)

I was going to get a custom one made, but Peter had a "Quality Control" jacket that I really liked and decided to go with that. I also picked up a "Mutt" jacket, and an X-Men Origins jacket. I almost got one more as well, but I didn't think I could fit them all in my suitcase.

I have to say that Peter is a really cool guy. He was super helpful and allowed me to try on like 50 jackets to find the right one. He even gave me a ride back to the station since it was pouring rain outside. :)

If anyone ever gets the chance to drop by the shop I encourage you to do so. There is such a huge advantage to trying on a bunch of different jackets to see which one fits the best. I'll post some photos when I get back to Canada in a few days so you guys can see what I ended up getting.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Went to Wested, got a jacket...3 jackets....

Post by nicktheguy »

Peter was great with me too when I visited his shop last year. He picked me up and dropped me off at the train. His shop is worth seeing.
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

Talk about being a kid in a candy shop....
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

That's certainly the way to pick a jacket.

you know if room in your suit case was a problem you could have just worn the fourth one ;)
Insomniac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Insomniac »

Jeez :Dietrich:
Sounds like a great experience!

Btw I've always wondered How many jacket can you get from a cows?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

What's that I hear?...

;0

Kyle
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

knibs7 wrote:What's that I hear?...

;0

Kyle
What's that I see?...
crazylegsmurphy wrote:I'll post some photos when I get back to Canada in a few days so you guys can see what I ended up getting.
Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

V/R,
DLJ
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Dragonlady Jones wrote: What's that I see?...
crazylegsmurphy wrote:I'll post some photos when I get back to Canada in a few days so you guys can see what I ended up getting.
Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

V/R,
DLJ
Haha, sorry, I just prefer people to already have the pics on hand when they post :lol:

Kyle
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Hey! :P ...this thread is worthless w/o pics!

...post 'em up! :tup:
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

knibs7 wrote: Haha, sorry, I just prefer people to already have the pics on hand when they post :lol:

Kyle
Don't we all brother!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

CLM, I forgot to say before you go to Wested....

Make sure you have a fixed budget.... and stick to it!

:)

Glad I'm not the only one to buy 3 jackets in one go!
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Timely advice Kt :lol:

Sounds like the budget wasn't his problem, just the suitcase :|
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Kt Templar wrote:CLM, I forgot to say before you go to Wested....

Make sure you have a fixed budget.... and stick to it!

:)

Glad I'm not the only one to buy 3 jackets in one go!

The budget was £400...the space in the suitcase is the problem. I have to wear one to make everything fit. I chucked out almost all my clothes that I brought here since none of them fit anymore anyway....so that helped a bit...but I do wish I could have picked up that 4th jacket...it was quite nice.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

I think we need to see all three jackets!
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

What I'd like to know is what was the fourth jacket? ;)
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

It's not on the website...

Peter called it a "retro jacket" that he was pretty sure was made for the movie 5th Element. It was a black leather jacket with some cool stitching on the shoulders. It just fit really well and was only £80. If I could, I would have gone back today to get it, but I have to pack for my fight home in the morning.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Now THAT I'd like to see! If it were me, I'd personally get that over the Mutt jacket! ;)

Made for the Fifth Element? As in, a leftover production jacket? Or based on the designs of a jacket made for the movie? If it was the former, I don't know how you could have walked away from that one! #-o ;)
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Castor Dioscuri wrote:Now THAT I'd like to see! If it were me, I'd personally get that over the Mutt jacket! ;)

Made for the Fifth Element? As in, a leftover production jacket? Or based on the designs of a jacket made for the movie? If it was the former, I don't know how you could have walked away from that one! #-o ;)
I'm not sure... Peter didn't seem like he was too sure either. I have been trying to find 5th Element screen caps to figure out where the jacket may have been, but as of yet I haven't seen it. I'm not too sure where it was from. It could have just been a retro style jacket, but it did fit nicely.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

crazylegsmurphy wrote:It's not on the website...

Peter called it a "retro jacket" that he was pretty sure was made for the movie 5th Element. It was a black leather jacket with some cool stitching on the shoulders. It just fit really well and was only £80. If I could, I would have gone back today to get it, but I have to pack for my fight home in the morning.
Have it mailed to you!
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

You could always call Peter and tell him your interested in that jacket sounds interesting. Look forward to the pics, if I ever make it across the pond and Peter's shop is still there I am definately stopping by. Sounds like a great experience.

IndianaChris
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Hey Everyone,

I'm back in Canada and finally got a second to take some photos.

Here is the story. Recently I have lost 40 pounds. The goal is to lose another 15 which should actually put me in the "in shape" category instead of the "heart attack from doing up my shoes" category that I've been in.

I was hoping to have lost the full 55 pounds before going to Wested, but I just couldn't do it save from starving myself. The thing is, this has left me with no ability to judge what clothing fits anymore. Yesterday I bought size 33 jeans where I have been buying 38's and it felt weird to say the least.

I am hoping you guys will give me your honest opinion on how these jackets currently fit, as well as how they might fit when 15 more pounds are gone. If you think they need to be in a different size, tailored, shrunk, or fit just perfect then please tell me. I want them to look as cool as possible so it won't help to tell me they look good if they don't.

Anyway, here are the jackets.

1. Indy Jacket.

Size: 40 Chest

This jacket was picked after trying on quite a few at Wested. Peter brought this one out of the back and I thought it fit great. Let me know A) what you think B) what "style" of jacket this is (TOD, Riders, LC, CS)

http://www.mmmyeah.com/fedoras/jackets/jackets_19.jpg
Last edited by crazylegsmurphy on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

2. Mutt Jacket

Size: Medium

I wasn't sure about this one being that I'm almost 32 years old, and still far from Shia's body type. I took a chance based on the price. My mom loves it....:)

Should I put the pins on? (can I do it without wrecking it?) Thoughts overall?

MOD EDIT: you many not post more then 6 photos per thread. you may add 6 links and one link to an offsite gallery

Last edited by crazylegsmurphy on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

CLM

Jacket 1 looks like it fits OK, maybe snug in the chest zipped up but it's new, so may stretch out. Plus you plan to lose some more weight It's not a ToD. It has a stitched hem so must be a Raider. What did Peter say it is?

Jacket 2 also looks like it fits OK. when the sleeves start to wrinkle you may find they are little short and you have to pull them down, but I think you'll be able to 'train' the leather. What is the hide?

Jacket 3 I know nothing about. Seems to have some flying squirrel effect, and you may find the sleeves become too short.

Other than those picky observations, nice jackets, wear them in, wear them a lot.
Wear the Indy jacket zipped up while driving the car etc, to get it to conform to you more.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

The Raiders jacket looks great. Very good fit, although it looks a bit tight when zipped. I guess if you lose another 15 lbs. it will be a perfect fit. I can't really comment on the other two, though. The Perfecto-type jacket looks pretty good and the Wolverine jacket just isn't to my taste. Fit looks a little off in the chest.

I just took another look at your photos and I actually think the Perfecto-style jacket suits you best. Funny, huh. If you don't ride a motorcycle yet, you may have to learn.

I have multiple leather jackets as well, and I kind of hate having to choose between them. I'd almost rather have one perfect one, but that seems to be one of those impossible, unattainable things...
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Wow! The Raiders one looks SO Raiders from the back. Great fit! What leather is it?
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Satipo wrote:Wow! The Raiders one looks SO Raiders from the back. Great fit! What leather is it?
I believe it's goat.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

the Indy jacket is a raiders style. fit is good. maby alittle snug in the chest and bicep. IMO the raiders jacket shouldnt be a snug fitting jacket. the original was pretty loose.

but jacket looks good on you. so be happy and Im sure you are ;)
wembley
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wembley »

Cool...I lost my bottle ordering a custom job so I plan to go down there someday.

About 5 or 6 hours drive away.
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Thanks for all the comments and complements guys!

My personal thoughts are that I wish the Mutt Jacket had the hidden snaps. I might also see if it's possible to replace the shinny silver ones, with some more subdued ones.

The Indy Jacket is a tad tight yes. I'm really hoping that last 15 pounds will make it fit just right.

I do feel the Wolverine jacket is a tad loose and I may eventually see about getting the chest tailored a bit. (sorry, the pics were modded out of existence...I'll see about putting up a link)

All n' all I am ecstatic that I got a cool Indy Jacket. It may not be 100% SA, but it's pretty much what I would have hoped to get anyway. By the way, when I suggested a custom Wested, Peter kindly let me know he's not doing them with long laundry lists anymore. I dunno if that is the case or not, but that's what I was told.

Oh, he also let me try on a secret new Indy jacket.....I almost forgot to mention it. :D
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Oh..

Should I put the pins on the Mutt jacket you think...or should I just put them up on Ebay for you guys? I really wish there was a non-destructive way to pin them on.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

CLM, will you get the jacket you left behind sent over?

Up to you about the pins They will leave holes if removed but if you like them and the look, it is your jacket after all.
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I'm not sure....

I have been thinking about it, but I can't decide whether I want to put the money into that, or something from Magnoli. I really need something a little more "Fall weather".

I would like to try the pins, but I don't want to wreck it if they look bad. I have been thinking about trying magnets or something.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

On the subject of the red leather zipper 'pulls' on the Mutt. I think they are a 'take em or leave them detail', on watching the film again this weekend I found they you don't notice that they ARE actually red. The ones on screen have been darkened by distressing and probably deliberately toned down. At their brightest you just can tell they look like a dark burgundy. So I wouldn't get too bothered by them. The only time we can tell they were red were the studio based publicity shots and that might have been a different jacket.

Are you going to get 'Mutt' added to the jacket?
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Nah, for me adding "Mutt" is a little far.

I love wearing Indy Gear, but I'm not the type to wear the Hat, jacket, and bag all at the same time with Khaki pants. :)

I'm not even sure I want to put the pins on for the simple reason that I don't want to push the jacket anymore over the top than needed. If they were subtle enough, yet still cool then maybe...but I'm still not sure.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Kt Templar wrote:On the subject of the red leather zipper 'pulls' on the Mutt. I think they are a 'take em or leave them detail', on watching the film again this weekend I found they you don't notice that they ARE actually red. The ones on screen have been darkened by distressing and probably deliberately toned down. At their brightest you just can tell they look like a dark burgundy. So I wouldn't get too bothered by them. The only time we can tell they were red were the studio based publicity shots and that might have been a different jacket.

Are you going to get 'Mutt' added to the jacket?
The dig the red zipper pulls and the lining. Otherwise, the jacket looks like your usual biker jacket. And terribly common with the guys I ride with from LA :) Anyways, interestingly enough, according to Tony, the pulls and red lining were Shia's idea.
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

The Wested one I have does have the red lining. I would like to find some really nice subtle burgundy pulls to replace the black one. I really wish the buttons were hidden on the collar as well because I think that adds a nice difference.

Everyone keeps telling me to wash it though....I dunno. It's not a terribly expensive jacket, but I don't want to ruin it before I even have a chance to wear it.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Wear it in the rain, but why wash it?

Check some Craft stores, Tandy leather shops etc and you may find some red/burgundy leather to make pulls from.
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

RCSignals wrote:Wear it in the rain, but why wash it?

Check some Craft stores, Tandy leather shops etc and you may find some red/burgundy leather to make pulls from.
Ahhh RC....good call. There is a Tandy Leather in Calgary I'll check out tomorrow. As for washing it. I think people figure it should have the "newness" washed off. Wearing it in the rain might be a good idea...if it actually rains in the next 8 months and not just snows :D
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Heck CLM, wear while it's snowing then go inside. You know the drill.

Maybe you can paint those collar snaps flat black?