(About ALL gear), screen accurate or movie set accurate?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

(About ALL gear), screen accurate or movie set accurate?

Post by blueoakleyz »

This is about all things including Fedoras and Leather jackets.

Which do you think is more important, something to look screen accurate, or to be movie set accurate (as in what they exactly used on set, even though it could have a different color or look on screen).

A classic example is Kirk's shirt in Star Trek. It was gold on TV, green in person/real life.
Last edited by blueoakleyz on Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: (About ALL gear), screen accurate or movie set accurate?

Post by theinterchange »

If someone's going after something that's recognizable as being from a film or tv show [be it Indy or otherwise] to me, the idea would be screen accuracy.

I know Kirk's shirt was green in person, but most uninitiated people would look at you wearing an avacado green shirt, as if you grew another head. [And were I to get a Kirk uniform, I'd opt for gold just to be recognizable.]

All this being said, I'm not a stickler for complete screen accuracy. I like it to look as close as possible, but if it doesn't fit me, I'll go with "me accurate".

Just my 2 cents worth

Randy
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

It depends upon the difference between movie set accurate and screen accurate. As has been said, I'd look at you funny if you were wearing a green shirt and said you were Captain Kirk. I didn't know that.

In the case of Indy, 99% of people DO NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. Any brown fedora is an Indiana Jones hat to them. Heck, when I worked at The Village Hat Shop, people would even don some of the PITH HELMETS we had and say: "Look! I'm Indiana Jones!" They even did this with black leather outback style hats. In such a case, you're not going to have a problem being "recognizable," so do whichever one you like the most. Personally, I am about movie set accuracy. I love knowing that my hat and jacket come from the makers who supplied the production department. Adventurebilt for Crystal Skull, and Wested for Raiders.

Again, I could get any old brown fedora and leather bomber jacket and be recognizable as Indy. I've seen people at Comic Con do the same thing. As Michaelson would say, 6 one way, half a dozen the other.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I want the colors on my gear seen on screen. that is what is recognizeable.

jacket: chocolate br in real life. dark br, almost black on screen.

superman suit blue on screen, greenish in real life.

when you think of superman, you see him in a blue suit. becasue that is what you saw on screen right? ;)
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I totally agree with you, Holt

Kyle
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

theinterchange wrote:If someone's going after something that's recognizable as being from a film or tv show [be it Indy or otherwise] to me, the idea would be screen accuracy.
That's exactly how I feel. To me, it's about looking like what's seen not necessarily what is. I think there's merit in on-set brands, because it is very cool to wear the same stuff as out favorite characters. I, myself, am planning on getting an HJ and an AB in the future, as well as a Wested. That's kind of a caveat though, because fortunately for our community we can get both set-accurate and screen accurate from guys like Steve Delk and Wested. On the flip side though, in my other hobby I strive solely for screen accuracy mostly because A) no one's really sure about some of the gear's origins and B) there are too many arguments about what color something is instead of focusing on what it looks like. Long story short, when I put on my Indy gear, I "feel" like Indy and most people think I "look" like Indy which to me, is the whole point. Anyway, that's my long winded opinion :D

Indy Green
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

_ wrote:As I recall, they used green on Kirk's tunic because it looked gold on screen. Gold was the intent and it was the funky color cameras of the late '60's that was the variable.
:-k Actually...Bill Theiss intended green to be the color to represent the Command Division not gold. This can be seen time and again throughout the series in Kirk's green wraparound tunics, and the green satin of the Command Dress tunics. In his notes W.W.T. would refer to the color of the original Command tunics as "Avocado Green". It was the film processing of the time that rendered the tunics "Command Gold". ;)

Sorry...there are times when my inner Trekkie gets the better of me.

Johnny out.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Ooh I like the authentic one

I'd consider my dark brown goat A-2 to be authentic. I consider it my Indy jacket and I doubt any casual fan would know the difference. I didn't and I was a HUGE fan of Indy.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

theinterchange wrote:If someone's going after something that's recognizable as being from a film or tv show [be it Indy or otherwise] to me, the idea would be screen accuracy.

I know Kirk's shirt was green in person, but most uninitiated people would look at you wearing an avacado green shirt, as if you grew another head. [And were I to get a Kirk uniform, I'd opt for gold just to be recognizable.]
Randy
Same issue with Han Solo's Hoth parka - looks blue on screen (and all the toys were blue), but brown in real life. I bet if you asked 100 people what color the parka is, 99 of them would say blue. (The one person that says brown would get laughed out of the room).

I've known people to wear screen used costumes to conventions and be told they are not screen accurate for any number of detailed reasons.

Then again, screen accuracy is in the eye of the beholder too.
Tundrarider wrote: Authentic=(This one's mine, I believe ;) ) The gear looks how the average fan would expect it to look from their fond memories of the films.
Michael :TOH:
I really like this definition as it gets at the heart of what most of us are trying to achieve. If I put on my gear will people say, "Hey, Indiana Jones!"? That's what I'm looking for. Not a 30 minute stitch-count argument about how my gear is identical to what was actually used on set, but isn't what people see in their mind's eye.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

"I've known people to wear screen used costumes to conventions and be told they are not screen accurate for any number of detailed reasons"

LOL.

I want to hear more stories

I always seem to pick the oddball things. Star Trek TNG's blue suits were actually a very green teal in real life.

Indiana Jones seems rather simple though. Any brown leather jacket is going to look authentic. Same with the fedora..

I think I like the idea of owning what they used.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The two instances were both related to Star Trek costumes. One was an officer's uniform from one of the earlier movies and the other was a TNG uniform. As people gathered to chat about their costumes both of my friends were congratulated on getting "so close" to the screen used uniforms, and were then given tips on how to make improvements. :roll: Early on when they had gotten the uniforms they would argue about their authenticity, but both decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff