Post your Adventurebilts here!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Post your Adventurebilts here!

Post by sam »

As Steve knows, I love the idea of him offering the plain liner like was in the stunt hats! I really like that look in the movie.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

whipwarrior wrote:Does this mean that those of us who ordered the $265 ABs won't get the new Mesoamerican pyramid liner? Because I really like that design, and I would prefer that one. Steve, I would be willing so send you a little more to get that liner in my hat, when you get around to it.
I paid the $225 price and got the new liner in both hats.

Dave
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Cool. Then there is still hope... :D
XPLSV
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by XPLSV »

Fedora wrote:
I had to make a double long oval block just for you, but going by your first pics, of the first hat, you certainly needed it! :D Fedora
Steve,

You have Long Oval blocks??? :o

Bernie
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I don't think Steve has his new Raiders blocks in long oval yet, but I'm pretty sure all the other blocks, old Raiders and CS, do have long oval counterparts.

I was at a wedding on Friday and wore one of my ABs. Thought I might post a pic.

Dave
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Looks to me, like:

Beautiful Girl
+
Handsome Hat
+
Great Tie & Jacket Team-up
=
The Perfect Evening.

:TOH:
Great photo, Dave. Hope all in attendance had a wonderful night.
Mitch
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thanks Fox. I'll let her know! :D

I wanted to wear something that wasn't obviously Indy so I went witha black shirt with black shoes and belt instead of the usual white shirt and brown belt and shoes. It was my cousins wedding and everyone had a fantastic time. At midnight we sang my fiance happy birthday (yeah, it was a hectic weekend) and partied it up some more. Thank God for that open bar.

Dave
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Steve -
I am also willing to pay more for the pyramid liner - since I already have two staff of Ra ones, I would love something different.

Cheers
Nick
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

:shock: What?? You mean you guys actually drink wearing my hats!!! Just don't let the bottled courage make ya think that you are Indy!! And if it does, just make sure your hat stays on the head. You look so much better by doing so. Remember, us COW cows NEVER lose our hats. ;) Fedora
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Fedora wrote::shock: What?? You mean you guys actually drink wearing my hats!!!
Some folks even use your hats to hold their Diet Pepsi, right, Chewie? :lol: :P
A.J. Cairo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by A.J. Cairo »

DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Congrats! Now, wasn't that worth the wait? I can't wait to start that wait again!

Dave
A.J. Cairo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by A.J. Cairo »

DR Ulloa wrote:Congrats! Now, wasn't that worth the wait? I can't wait to start that wait again!

Dave
DEFINATELY worth the wait!

I'm already planning on my second purchase! I 'm thinking maybe a grey fedora next ;)
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I know I sound like a parrot, but let me say it again. Investing in a pure beaver hat is the cheapest way to go in the long run. I just reblocked a hat I sold back at the time I first started making hats. Besides laughing at my early stitch work, I was impressed at how this felt mellows and looks even better with age.

But to me a pure beaver hat is only for those that really wear hats, and like their hats to become old friends, with its own tale of memories etched into the hat.

And you don't have to buy an AB to get this. Just get the good felt from my and John's feltmaker, or from Portugal. Both companies still produce really good felt, and I cannot make that claim about other feltmakers. At least not the ones I have gotten samples from in the past. Hard to make a bad beaver body, but that's not the trouble. Many beaver hats only have a pinch of beaver in them. I have never seen a bad pure beaver body. The ones that I have been told were bad, were actually not pure beaver.

And no other felt will keep the head as dry as pure beaver. This is a fact, if you compare apples to apples. It is hard to get a beaver hat totally saturated, unless you submerge it in water for a few days. I have never seen one of my hats get wet on the inside from rain. If I were going on an adventure, pure beaver would be the only choice for me. Tough stuff, and it keeps the head dry. And looks good in doing so. Fedora
Corith
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Corith »

Dr._J wrote:DR Ulloa, you ordered your hat in March 2008 and already received it? Man, I ordered mine in September of 2007 and it still hasn't arrived!
I know the feeling. I ordered mine December 2007 and I'm still waiting.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Fedora wrote:I have never seen one of my hats get wet on the inside from rain.
Mine has a spot in the liner from water that got soaked through because of rain, but it was a heavy rain and I spent hours in it.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Excellent looking fedora! :clap: I've worn my own AB daily over the past year since I received it--from the California heat, to Nebraska winter, to a dig and travels in Israel (even through a 2,700 year-old water tunnel 1/3 a mile under Jerusalem, and I would have scraped my head pretty badly a few times on that low ceiling if it wasn't for my AB). I'm wearing mine over there again for the 4 weeks of the same dig in Israel starting next month. I can tell you from my own experiences that you've got a sturdy and sharp hat there. :tup: Wear it in good health!

:TOH: best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Mine has a spot in the liner from water that got soaked through because of rain, but it was a heavy rain and I spent hours in it.
Oh yeah, no oil skins here. Any felt will leak, it just takes beaver alot longer. When John from Montanna hatters did his water test, he filled the crown with water, and then set the timer. When the hat leaked he noted how long it took for the first drop to leak onto the floor. The felt I use was the winner, out of 3 hats. Took right at 3 hours to leak, if I recall correctly. One rabbit hat he had, leaked in just a few minutes. The other rabbit hat was vintage and it took 1 1/2 hours to leak, which shows the vintage rabbit was alot denser felt than most modern rabbit. No surprise there, and I think it was a Borsalino if I recall correctly.

Of course, I treat my hats with the repellant, and that no doubt adds time to the equation. The hat John used from our felter was not treated. Plus the stuff I am using now works better than what I used to use. I used the B and L on your hat VP. Not the new stuff. This new stuff is naptha based, thereby taking a long time to dry. But, it penetrates the felt better than the alcohol based treatment. Plus it gets rid of mottle that comes from pouncing with fine grits.

And it goes without saying, that if you saturate a hat, you are gonna get some taper. The core has to get wet for this to happen though. It just takes longer for the core of a beaver hat to get wet. Rabbit is pretty porous felt, so not so long. But, the treatment is indeed essential for rabbit felt, whereas, beaver can go without it. If need be. Fedora
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Fedora wrote::shock: What?? You mean you guys actually drink wearing my hats!!! Just don't let the bottled courage make ya think that you are Indy!! And if it does, just make sure your hat stays on the head. You look so much better by doing so. Remember, us COW cows NEVER lose our hats. ;) Fedora
Even when I drink too much and all my clothes manages to go missing, I still wake up with the hat on. :[

I don't ever remember thinking I'm really Indy, but then again, who remembers. Ah, to be young! ;)

Dave
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Fedora wrote:And no other felt will keep the head as dry as pure beaver. This is a fact, if you compare apples to apples. It is hard to get a beaver hat totally saturated, unless you submerge it in water for a few days. I have never seen one of my hats get wet on the inside from rain. If I were going on an adventure, pure beaver would be the only choice for me. Tough stuff, and it keeps the head dry. And looks good in doing so. Fedora
Having your hat go over 3 waterfalls (KOTCS) and still look good is enough said. :) I loved how Indy removed his hat and held on to it for dear life on the last falls.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Well, since I have two, I figured I'd turn and recrease one of my ABs into a Raiders hat.

Dave
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Wowser! Lookin' great, Dave!
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thanks Strider. I'm trying to give this one a SoC look but without the dirt and sweatstains (kind of an oxymoron, but I just love the shape of that hat). You can't really see it too well in this pic becuase of the angle but I got the felt to bulge over the ribbon on the right side.

Dave
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Looks good onya, Dave...
The quirky, unique look that comes with the turn in a SOC hat works on you.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

That's because I'm a quirky and unique kinda guy! And thanks, Fox. You are one of the guys on here who's opinion I respect most, so that means something to me. Not that I don't respect everyone else, you are just...special. :CR:

Dave
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I am getting married in ten days. So, my fiance and I had an engagement photo session with our photographer and I took my CS AB. We are both very much into film noir and 30's fashion so we got dressed up in like fashion for the shoot. We took over 400 pictures but these are just a handful. I might add that only one of these are "finished." The other three are raw. Anyway, onto the pictures.

Dave
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Hubba hubba! That hat looks great! I mean! Uhm...you know. And stuff. :[
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:D
Awww... these are the BEST, Dave! I'm so glad you both did this shoot. You both look great (and it's pretty obvious you both had a lot of fun!)

I've gotta sat, though... of the few that you've shown us (so far), #3 stands out a bit for me:
-You've got you're whole Leading Man thing going on
-You're lovely bride-to-be is as beautiful as always (and even though she's not using it that particular picture, I should add that whenever I see a photo of this amazing girl of yours I'm reminded of how she has one of those smiles that can enslave a man)
:shock:
- And last but not least... the hat looks as awesome as we all know it is.

One other thing...
Y'know I haven't actually said the word(s) "Va-VA-VoooOOOMMM!" out loud for some time...
Well, picture #4 changed all that... so thanks for including it, pal!

Oh! And Hey, LOOK at that... I just noticed that you're in that photo too, Dave!
:P
...Well, good for you!
;)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thanks gentlemen. I think you just made a little lady's day :lol: . I wore the CS hat because I think it is a bit classier than the Raiders hat; It is more dignified. I had to pair it with that tan suit. I had a red tie that I took with me but the photographer saw me without it and said "Do it without the tie." There are a few more with the hat, but I feel these were the best. I have a couple more of these pictures up in the Penman page with my black Penman wedding hat. I'll be taking both on my honeymoon, so expect pics of this one and the black Penman in the scrapbook section.

Dave

p.s. Fox, I'm glad I could help keep it in your vocabulary. :TOH: :lol:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Great pics Dave!

Travis
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Beautiful pics and Beautiful gal to match. Congratulations and all the best!
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

Well, I'm proud to say that my Adventurebilt ordered October 9, 2007 just arrived today! I got back from Wade's and the package from Steve was waiting for me. I ordered a Raiders idol grab with a turn and I was not disappointed, it's exactly what I asked for in every way. I know, this post is worthless without pictures, but unfortunately my camera eats batteries like candy and all my remotes have been tapped out. Also, it's kind of a crappy camera anyway and I can't take good pictures in incandescent lighting. Steve, thanks for the fantastic hat!
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

DR Ulloa wrote:I am getting married in ten days. So, my fiance and I had an engagement photo session with our photographer and I took my CS AB. We are both very much into film noir and 30's fashion so we got dressed up in like fashion for the shoot. We took over 400 pictures but these are just a handful. I might add that only one of these are "finished." The other three are raw. Anyway, onto the pictures.

Dave
Nice pix....

Such a lovely pair....
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Congrats Risu.

Thanks, Bish.

Dave
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

OK, here are a couple pics Wade snapped for me on Saturday.

The block shape is fantastic and the felt feels amazing compared to my Federations. It's really thin and smooth.
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

DR Ulloa wrote:I don't think Steve has his new Raiders blocks in long oval yet, but I'm pretty sure all the other blocks, old Raiders and CS, do have long oval counterparts.

I was at a wedding on Friday and wore one of my ABs. Thought I might post a pic.

Dave
Love the hat, love the suit and love the pic....but I gotta ask: why are you wearing a hat while seated at a table at a wedding?

Don't mean to be a wet blanket. A fedora is just such a great piece of Old World style that I think it goes hand in hand with Old School etiquette, you know?

Tony
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

You know, I don't follow the rules of hat etiquette to the letter of the law. I always remove my hat when eating and when entering someplace like a church or if in a private setting like a friends house, but otherwise, I keep it on. If I remember correctly, I had taken the hat off and went to dance for a while. When I came back, some kids were playing with it. I didn't know the little tikes, so I just took it away and plopped it back on my head. If it had been some kids I knew, I wouldn't have minded, but I didn't know these children. And thank you. I had turned this hat into a SoC hat but didn't like how the shorter brim looked with that distressing and the turn so I unturned it and creased it back into a CS hat. I think its better for it. Creased the crown down a little lower too to offset the shorter brim. Thanks for the complement. :TOH:

Dave
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Risu wrote:OK, here are a couple pics Wade snapped for me on Saturday.

The block shape is fantastic and the felt feels amazing compared to my Federations. It's really thin and smooth.
Risu, that AB looks sharp on you--it suits you well. :clap: Wear it in good health!

:TOH: best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

SECONDED.
Hat looks really sharp on you, Risu...Bravo!
(And thanks for making the effort to get some photos taken!)
:clap:
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

Thanks for the kind words guys. As soon as I finish making my new Raiders holster and fix that darn fraying ring loop on my MkVII I'm going to post a new picture in the complete gear thread. It's been a long time coming. :TOH:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Take the next pictures at a distance. The close proximity opf the camera distorts the hat. The second picture you posted looks great through. Love the crease.

Dave
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

Yea, the other pics will be the whole gear, so they'll be backed up.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Risu wrote:...I'm going to post a new picture in the complete gear thread. It's been a long time coming.
COOL.
:tup:

I look forward to seein 'em, Risu!
IndyAl
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyAl »

Hello everybody!
My Adventure Bilt recieved some hours ago, AdventureBilts are my favourite hats. Thanks Steve, thanks for your fantastic work again. :clap:

Last edited by IndyAl on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Looks great! Go outside and have somone take some photos of you wearing the hat. That will really show it off. Congrats!

Dave
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Yeah. It looks awesome, but we wanna see it on yer noggin!
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

Just out of curiosity, is Steve still writing the number of the hat on the inside of the sweat, and if so, what number is he up to at this point?
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

Are those COA's only for the CS bash hats? I didn't get one. It's no big deal, I don't even know where my Wested COA is, just wondering.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I didn't get a COA for my first AB but the second one came with one. They are both CS hats.

Dave
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

"Handmade by Steve Delk" for some reason, it's like music reading that.