Distressing the holster?

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Distressing the holster?

Post by TonyRush »

I just received a new holster from Todd's and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for how to distress it a bit. I know that distressing is a controversial issue but I just can't see showing up at this costume event in gear that looks like it just came out of the box. :)

The biggest question I've got is how to get the holster to look as though it's actually had a gun in it. I'm assuming this is done by putting a gun "mold" into the holster and then distressing it from there. But, I've no idea where to acquire a gun mold or what should be done in terms of color.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Tony
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Re: Distressing the holster?

Post by IndianaBogart »

For my Todd's holster I distressed it using fine grit sand paper, steel wool, and dark brown shoe polish. I also distressed it with a cap gun in it to try to make some ares lighter than others. Basically I put the cap gun in the holster and sanded areas that I thought would get the most wear. I did this several times, until I got the look I wanted (which I still need to work on some more) then I rubbed the shoe polish on it to darken it up in some areas and give it a dirtier appearance. Also I took the strap that holds the flap down, and the flap as well, and rolled/curled them up multiple times to make them creased and wrinkled, then put shoe polish on them, which got in the wrinkles nicely. Mine at least turned out not looking clean and new, but I need to do some more sanding on it, to get a better outline of the gun. Hope this helped and enjoy your holster.

-Bogart :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Put 'distressing' in the search function and look in either this section or the Guns and Holsters section. You'll get a ton of hits to read through and find different techniques.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, guys!