Profiles in History - LC Bullwhip in next auction

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Profiles in History - LC Bullwhip in next auction

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Is this old news? I did a search.

It says it was used by HF in the Castle Brunwald sequences.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Profiles in History - LC Bullwhip in next auction

Post by TheExit148 »

Looks like that whip is in this Octobers auction; est $30,000 - $50,000. They also have the maps used to show the flight of Lao Che's plane in Temple of Doom; est $8000 - $12,000. Pretty cool stuff!
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

For those interested this is the Profiles in history auction taking place in Calabasas Hills, CA Thursday & Friday, October 8 & 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM Pdt

Lot # 735

HARRISON FORD SIGNATURE HERO “INDIANA JONES” BULLWHIP FROM INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE
(Paramount, 1989) This bullwhip, along with the fedora and distressed leather jacket, personify the Indiana Jones character. Indy’s use of the whip enabled him to fend off bad guys as well as get him out of tight spots by using it as an acrobatic tether. It is one of the most highly recognized pieces in modern film history. This kangaroo hide bullwhip measures 10 ft. long (measuring from the butt of the handle to the end of the braid) and was used by Harrison Ford in the Castle Brunwald sequences shot at Elstree Studios. From the collection of Dickey Beer, who was a stuntman in the film, and with an LOA from him.

Est. Value: $30000 - $50000

Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Hmmm... wonder if they will take a check... just not cash it anytime soon... say this millennia

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bobm2004 »

The real question is will the take a posted dated check, say dated 2035........................
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Exactly! Plenty of time to "disappear"....... :rolling:

Allen
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Dumb question: didn't they typically cut off the loops on the production used whips?
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

Haha! showoff......... ;)

Now that answers my question about getting a Strain.

Why are you making all of my product decisions lately? :lol:

Tundrarider wrote:Image

Looks an awful lot like my Strain! :D Or is it the other way around? :-k

Either way, every time I see something like this auction whip, my admiration for Joe and his work increases. :notworthy:

Thanks Joe! :clap:

Michael :TOH:
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

You cannot go wrong with a Strain!!

Allen
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

ANZAC_1915 wrote:Dumb question: didn't they typically cut off the loops on the production used whips?

I don't think so. Not that I was aware of... :-k

I know Alex Green cuts his whips' wristloops when they have one, but not that they would cut them in the IJ movies. I have only read that Anthony DeLongis ties a knot on very long wristloops to keep them short.

All the best,

Aldo.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Dumb question: didn't they typically cut off the loops on the production used whips?
The only screen used Indy whips that had the loop intentionally cut off where the ones River Phoenix used on the circus train in Last Crusade. Which was this one

They wanted that particular whip to look different from the whip Indy carries through out the films. You may be thinking of the bullwhips used in the film Batman Returns, The wrist loops on those whips where removed.

The wrist loops on the Crystal Skull bullwhips where knotted up basically to keep them out of the way.
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

By the way, I noticed the handle has that indentation which is typical to the Raiders Era bullwhips. Could this be one of the Raiders whips reused in the two latter films?
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Marhala wrote:By the way, I noticed the handle has that indentation which is typical to the Raiders Era bullwhips. Could this be one of the Raiders whips reused in the two latter films?
Good observation Marhala :TOH:. While anything is possible, I strongly suspect that this particular whip was made after Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The indent was not exclusive to just the Raiders era bullwhips, It’s actually a common feature on many vintage David Morgan bullwhips made prior to the mid to early 1990s. Here is another example of a 1989 David Morgan bullwhip; very similar to the whip being auctioned that also shows the indent.

It’s not always quite so visible though, it just depends on the individual whip and the placement of the Turks head knot.

Dan
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Thanks for sharing Dan! Good to learn something new about David's whipmaking details. Is that '89 Morgan one of your whips? :-k
bluzharp
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bluzharp »

BullWhipBorton wrote:
Marhala wrote:By the way, I noticed the handle has that indentation which is typical to the Raiders Era bullwhips. Could this be one of the Raiders whips reused in the two latter films?
Good observation Marhala :TOH:. While anything is possible, I strongly suspect that this particular whip was made after Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The indent was not exclusive to just the Raiders era bullwhips, It’s actually a common feature on many vintage David Morgan bullwhips made prior to the mid to early 1990s. Here is another example of a 1989 David Morgan bullwhip; very similar to the whip being auctioned that also shows the indent.

It’s not always quite so visible though, it just depends on the individual whip and the placement of the Turks head knot.

Dan
I see the indent you speak of, and never noticed that before. Was that just how Morgan shaped his handle spikes?
classicbullwhips
Vendor

Post by classicbullwhips »

I have actually had the pleasure in getting to handle and crack that whip of Dan's, it sure is a beauty. The reason for the dent is actually due to the way that Morgan attaches the lead to the handle. The Morgan whips have the lead attached directly to the handle early in the whip making process. As far as my understanding is the leather is then butted up against the lead near the base. With use/wear and tear of the whip a little indent starts to show where the leather under starts to but up to the lead near the terks head knot. Other whip makers like me, Paul Nolan, and Joe Strain attach our lead later which gives us more of a stable area to attach the lead. Hope that helps with the reason for the dent. If I am wrong with any of this Paul, Joe or Dan feel free to step in and correct me.

Keep Crackin,

James
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Yes, James it partly correct. The dent was a cosmetic distortion that occurred from the way David originally shaped the build up of leather around the handle and the lead weighting under the turkshead. However, It was visible on the new-finished whip and not something that occurred as a result of with use/wear and tear.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Update: This Last Crusade bullwhip sold for $47,500.00 USD + 8,550.00 buyer's premium, taxes, fees, etc... A mere total of $56,050.00