My Dusty Wested with My Distressed Penman Rabbit

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

My Dusty Wested with My Distressed Penman Rabbit

Post by Mitch LaRue »

WARNING:[/b]
Those of you who are HARDCORE Natural Distressing Advocates might want to look away for this one.
;)

Now, don't get me wrong... I'm ALSO not into taking a scrub-brush to a perfectly good jacket... I really AM in favor of just letting wear'n'tear be a natural part of your life - and experiences - with a jacket.

But this happened because of that GREAT HAT.
:D
Simply put, my wife was taking a number of shots of me wearing my New Penman Distressed Rabbit (complete with a little bit of strategically placed Fuller's Earth on it) and once I'd finished getting a few "Streets of Cairo"-lookin' UNtucked shirt-type pictures taken, I couldn't help but wonder :-k what it would look like to have a few photos taken with a little bit of this Fuller's stuff on my beloved Wested :shock:
(As I applied it, I kept telling myself - and my wife - "Don't worry... it'll just wipe right off!" )

I'm not sure what kinda' look I thought I'd get, whether it's closer to "Raven Bar" or more along the lines of "Just Escaped from the Well of The Souls and about 2 Minutes Before the Showdown at The Flying Wing"-type look...
I'll let you decide...did I put on TOO much? Does it look okay - at least for the purpose of looking SA?
I will admit, though... I was kinda thrilled to see my good 'ol reliable jacket take on such a different look (and I've also gotta say, I'm just thrilled with the way the arms of my Wested are continuing to get those great folds in 'em! The Fuller's seemed to accentuate that even MORE).

Please let me know what you think.
(Bracing for cries of "Traitor!" from the Natural Distressing Camp...)

Go ahead, Michealson... I know you'll enjoy tellin' me off... It's good Therapy!
;)
Cheers,
Mitch

PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: My Dusty Wested with My Distressed Penman Rabbit

Post by PSBIndy »

I LIKE IT!!!!......looks like it just came off the set on Raiders! I'm not usually into artificial distressing all that much either but I gotta tip my fedora to you fine sir!.....awesome job! :tup:

BTW, Mitch, which Wested jacket is that?.....it looks almost black in the photo! (just like in the film)
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

It has that Raven bar look for sure to it. The half zip jacket, no MK bag, looks great! Is that your Magnoli shirt and pants as well with all that nice stuff?

I like the last photo, its kinda like "Yup... thats the dirt from an adventure... what can I say???" :lol:
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Austria (He doesn't know any of those guys. - Tony Nowak)

Post by orb »

Great looking jacket Mitch!
This look suits you perfect. It looks real to me. Not like a costume.

Regards

Gerald
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

Indyk's disstresing job looks awesome...

Great pictures, Mitch. They remind me a lot the Flying Wing scene. Fuller's Earth goes on very well with your Wested.
I am wondering too about the colour. Is the black/greyish just an optical sensation due to the dust? That could explain a lot why the jacket varies along the movie from a dark brown tone, almost black, to a lighter one :-k
nephilo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nephilo »

Cool Mitch!!! Looks very very Indy!!! :whip:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Very realistic looking! It doesn't have that costume look at all. :H:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

....Yyyyep! Where's that rope, Michaelson? :whip:
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Great photos Mitch. Nice work on that hat too!
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

PSBIndy wrote:I LIKE IT!!!!......looks like it just came off the set on Raiders! I'm not usually into artificial distressing all that much either but I gotta tip my fedora to you fine sir!.....awesome job! :tup: BTW, Mitch, which Wested jacket is that?.....it looks almost black in the photo! (just like in the film)
Hey PSB,
Glad you like the look!
The jacket wasn't a Custom job or anything, just an "Off The Rack". I checked the invoice one time before when I first started posting photos of it back in my old "My Turn at Bat with My WESTED" Thread and people here at COW started asking "Make & Model"-type questions.
It's a Regular Size 42 Raiders Jacket in Authentic Brown Lambskin.
TheExit148 wrote:It has that Raven bar look for sure to it. The half zip jacket, no MK bag, looks great! Is that your Magnoli shirt and pants as well with all that nice stuff?
Glad you like the Gear, 148! That shirt is actually my Todd's although you bullseyed the pants... they're my Magnoli's.

Thanks to orb, nephilo, crismans RC and Tundrarider for their kinds compliments, too!
Tundrarider wrote:Looks great, Mitch! :clap:
I agree; I grew to like my Wested more as I distressed it. Unfortunatley, mine doesn't fit like yours; mine's too baggy. :( Odd, because Wested claimed it was custom made for me. :-k That's okay though; I now have an 'excuse' to get a TN. :D
Michael, I think I got really, REALLY lucky on the fit of this jacket... I know some people have come away from certain transactions less than thrilled with their fit - despite both their own best (measuring) efforts as well as the efforts of the Vendors - so, I'm doubly thrilled with how this jacket looks like it has "grown' accustomed to my frame.
As for the distressing... well, as I said before (heck, as MANY have said before): I know it's not the right thing for everyone... but I enjoyed trying it. Now, I'll resume getting it looking like this through natural means.
Raskolnikov wrote:Great pictures, Mitch. They remind me a lot the Flying Wing scene. Fuller's Earth goes on very well with your Wested.
I am wondering too about the colour. Is the black/greyish just an optical sensation due to the dust? That could explain a lot why the jacket varies along the movie from a dark brown tone, almost black, to a lighter one :-k
Rask, I was a little bit surprised by the way that Fuller's made the jacket look, too... but those photos are pretty TRUE to what it looks like in person. I guess what I mean is: In person, just before I applied the Fuller's, the jacket was still a warm - but dark - brown color... the way it looks in my "My WESTED: A bit older & (I think) ALREADY a little BETTER" Thread. But as soon as I sprinkled that stuff over different parts of the jacket and began to blend it in, the coat took on an almost dusty, faded BLACK leather look to it. It's weird, I know.
:?

Thanks for the questions and compliments, fellas!
Mitch
:TOH:

P.S.
RC, ALL the credit for that hat goes to BendingOak!

P.P.S.
Tex, ya gotta CATCH ME FIRST, son!
;)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Mitch LaRue wrote:.......

P.S.
RC, ALL the credit for that hat goes to BendingOak!

well then :TOH: to BendingOak. Everyone in the Fedora pages is trying to catch up to THAT hat.
thedurdens
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Jersey, "What a incredible smell you've discovered."

Post by thedurdens »

Kudos, Mitch! :notworthy: Raising the bar yet again.

Thanks,
Frank :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Mitch LaRue wrote:P.P.S. Tex, ya gotta CATCH ME FIRST, son!;)
...catch ya'? I'm givin' you a head start....'son'! :P
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:lol:

Cheers, Tex.
Mitch
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Looks great, Mitch! I love the way the jacket stays wide open at the chest when semi-zipped. Did you have to manipulate it to do that?
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

thedurdens wrote:Kudos, Mitch! :notworthy: Raising the bar yet again.
Thanks,
Frank :TOH:
I greatly appreciate you saying that, Frank... much obliged.
Satipo wrote:Looks great, Mitch! I love the way the jacket stays wide open at the chest when semi-zipped. Did you have to manipulate it to do that?
Thanks Satipo!
And I'm glad you asked me that... a few people have asked me that same question, both in person and through Facebook or e-mails. My only "method" is this:
I've been caught in 4 or 5 pretty bad downpours while wearing my Wested and it's gotten pretty soaked a few of those times. Each time that's happened - I think it's been 3 times now - I drape the jacket over the backrest of our wooden kitchen chair to let it dry naturally. I do this with the front of the jacket facing up while the back of it hangs over the top of the backrest of the chair at about the "yoke-line".
Right from the first time I did this it occurred to me to give the jacket a little help while it's still moist and pliable... so each time this has happened, I've half-zipped the zipper (to about the point where the top corners of the pocket flaps are) and then curled the top part - the unzipped sides - of the zipper so that they're more "facing outwards" (like what you see in that first photo I posted above - especially on MY left side).
And I won't lie... when I do this I usually also take the time to give both sides of the jacket's collar a little "curl" as well... I just like that look for it.
:[
Once I've done this "shaping" I usually just let the jacket lay there, draped over the chair, for a day or two.
When I do put it back on it feels a little stiff at first, but softens up nicely in just a few hours of wear (and body heat)... the collar and storm flap - however - seem to remember their curl and stay that way.
Hope this helps.
All the Best,
Mitch
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Aha! I thought it looked too good to simply be an out-of-the-box feature. Excellent coaxing, my friend, and it is evident that you were born to wear this gear.
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

Mitch LaRue wrote: Rask, I was a little bit surprised by the way that Fuller's made the jacket look, too... but those photos are pretty TRUE to what it looks like in person. I guess what I mean is: In person, just before I applied the Fuller's, the jacket was still a warm - but dark - brown color... the way it looks in my "My WESTED: A bit older & (I think) ALREADY a little BETTER" Thread. But as soon as I sprinkled that stuff over different parts of the jacket and began to blend it in, the coat took on an almost dusty, faded BLACK leather look to it. It's weird, I know.
I hope you didn't interpret what I wrote as a critic. I think it is an extrange but very interesting optical effect, and in any case it looks great, just like in the movie. You have a wonderful jacket and it fits you like a glove, mate :tup:
Last edited by Raskolnikov on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Fox, I've been surprised, as others have, at how you received a Standard, not a custom, to fit like that...well, it's un-American! :P

Nevertheless, you GO with your Wested and funky distressing methods! :tup:
Rudolf
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rudolf »

Me Like! ;)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Mitch LaRue wrote:[The jacket wasn't a Custom job or anything, just an "Off The Rack". I checked the invoice one time before when I first started posting photos of it back in my old "My Turn at Bat with My WESTED" Thread and people here at COW started asking "Make & Model"-type questions.
It's a Regular Size 42 Raiders Jacket in Authentic Brown Lambskin.
The website says there are two, the Standard and the Special Offer. The Special Offer is an "off the rack" style, thinner, with no leather facings inside, and no facings around the inside pocket and smaller gauge zip. The Standard is a heavier, "streetwise" version, with leather facings and the heaver gauge zip.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I, too can't believe that's an otr jacket! Mine didn't fit me nearly as nice.

While I'm one for natural distressing on most gear, I like doing temporary stuff like applying Fullers.

Fox, that last shot is classic!

Randy
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Looking great, Mitch. Don't worry about the Fuller's. I have done my jacket that way several times over the years, and it always comes off with a damp sponge or towel. Most times, the majority of it just falls or rubs off before I am even done wearing the costume for the day. I actually gave my Wested a light sandpapering (not the job I did on my first one!), and it looks great now with some Fuller's and the rest of my gear. In fact, I don't even count Fuller's as "distressing." It's fake distressing, since it doesn't harm the jacket to my knowledge, and is temporary. Sandpaper, acetone, intentional abuse, these things are distressing. Fuller's is "distressing for those who do not want to distress or be distressed with their distressing." ;)
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Mitch, I just want to know how you do it. :o

You not only manage to look awesome in your gear but you really do also manage to look at great deal like the Raiders Indy. :TOH:

The fedora and jacket look fantastic!!! The only thing I would say is that the whole outfit would look even more awesome if the pants were darker. :CR:

Oh and lastly, from a women's point of view... =P~

:mrgreen:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Thanks again to all of you who've written such kind and supportive things here in this thread!
:)

Rask, I didn't take your observation as any sort of criticism... I'd noticed the same thing about the jacket (it's an odd little phenomenon, isn't it?)

Strider, I agree with you (and I'm happy to report that I'm now back to my "natural wear & tear" ways)... but I'm glad a fella like me CAN use something like the Fuller's in a very temporary way - on a jacket, at least - and undo it. It's the only thing that had me feeling somewhat safe in messing with this jacket I enjoy so much!

Canyon, thank you for chiming in! I always look forward to what you have to say... and I appreciate the kind words. Gotta say, though... I agree with you about the pants. They DO look really light in these shots! They look LESS so in person, I can assure you... but perhaps I need to think about what I might be able to do to "fix" this. :-k
Oh, and as for your last note, Stella? You flatter me with your woman's point of view. Thank you for making me :oops:
;)

THANKS everyone!
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I'm new here and want to say that this thread was helpful in me making some decisions as to which jacket I should go after. Thank you for posting those great photos!
I don't think there is anything wrong with distressing your Indy gear - heck, it's YOUR clothing, do with it as you please.
I for one will be distressing my Jacket by hand whenever I get around to getting it. At first, I was leaning towards Todds, but after so many reviews about it being so light I decided a heavier jacket was more for me, and of course that fact that Wested made the original coats is also a nice touch.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to a good tutorial on distressing the jacket?
Thanks again for posting those great photos - and I hope no one gets upset about my distressing veiwpoint!
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hi generalFROSTY,
I'd like to start by saying a couple of things:
First of all, WELCOME to our ranks!
I'm very happy to hear (read) that you've found this thread helpful in making some of your purchasing decisions... and I'm glad you like the photos.
Secondly, my sincerest apologies that it's taken THIS long to reply to your post.
I read it almost right after you wrote it - and DID mean to respond to you - but got busy and frankly...had a lot of trouble remembering to get back to it.
#-o
Of course, by now you've no doubt figured out that there's definitely a couple of different 'camps' on the "To Distress or NOT To Distress" Issue...
As you've quite rightly noted, the correct answer is in the eyes, mind and heart of the WEARER of the Gear (and what he or she wants from their Gear).
:tup:
As for recommending a good tutorial, I'm afraid I'M not the right guy to give you an informed referral on that matter... but I'm sure if you scan through enough subject titles of threads here (in the Gear Care & Distressing Section) you'll find something that speaks to the issues you're curious to learn more about.
If that doesn't work (although I can't believe it won't) then don't forget about the VERY useful Search Function.
It took me a few tries to learn how best to fine-tune and streamline my searches... but once you do it's an amazingly helpful tool.
Best Wishes with your hunting!
All the Best,
Mitch
fuzzjunk
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by fuzzjunk »

Hey Mitch, how did you get the fullers earth to stay on the coat so well? I want to give mine a good dusting before Halloween but I'm afraid it will just brush of to easily.

Any tips would be much appreciated, yours looks amazing! and exactly the look (temporarily) I'm going for.

-Scott
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hey Scott.

I wish I could claim that it took some kinda' special skill that came very naturally, but that'd be a lie: the Fuller's did most of the work itself!
I just sparingly shook a very light dusting onto a part of the jacket while holding it upright (think: dashing salt onto your french fries) and then just gently rubbed and spread around the few streaks of it onto the jacket... then pick a new part of the jacket and repeat...
I guess my best advise is: go really lightly and sparingly on it when you start.

Oh yeah... and don't inhale the stuff and be sure to wash your hands when you're done!
;)

Cheers,
Mitch
fuzzjunk
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by fuzzjunk »

Thanks Mitch!

I only tried a little bit the other day and it seemed to brush off quite easily, I probably just need to use a bit more then. I might also try putting FE in a sock and beat the jacket with it.

Anyway thanks for the tips, I hope mine comes out as good as yours did! :TOH:

-Scott
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Nice Mitch! You know I like the dirty look personally. Again very nice thanks for sharing!
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hope I helped a little...
Best of Luck with your own attempts at this!
G-Roberts
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by G-Roberts »

Awesome pics Mitch, The hat and jacket look great. Nice job my friend :TOH:
Graeme.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Thanks Graeme!

It's feels a little bit strange to me because this Thread I'd started had been "dead" for over 11 months before fuzzjunk "resurrected" it a coupla days ago!
The fact is, that very jacket is now for sale in the Cairo Bazaar...
:roll:

I've really enjoyed owning it (after all, it was my "First REAL Indy Jacket")... but I just don't think I'll have too much occasion to wear it in the future seeing as how my TNO Raiders 747 had become my First Choice Jacket (and a man can only wear so many jackets)...
But I figured I'd let the Wested go to some other (maybe newer and "jacketless") Member who needed a good jacket more than I did... and I'd rather see it going to someone who'll actually wear & use it rather than having it here with me and collecting dust... and part of why I put it in the Bazaar when I did was because I thought it might help out someone if they were trying to grab up a jacket like that one BEFORE Hallowe'en, too...

It hasn't found a new owner yet, but I'm not sweatin' it:
I wasn't selling it specifically for money towards something else, so if it doesn't sell this time around, no problem... I'll just put it aside for awhile and put it back in the Bazaar some other time.

It'd be nice to see it go to someone who'd appreciate owning it, though.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

When artificially distressing my Coyle jacket, a gray undercolor is revealed. In the movies, the distressed color was a lighter brown. I have seen this affect on Wested jackets when distressed, but yours looks gray like the Coyle jacket.
Anyone have any evidence that a Wested jacket will distress with the lighter brown color? Sanding or chemical?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I replied to your pm, so its all there. ;)