Bullwhips at Disneyland

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Bullwhips at Disneyland

Post by knibs7 »

Mods feel free to move this to Lao Che if it would belong better there...

I was just wondering if anyone knew from personal experience if Disneyland allows you to bring in a bullwhip if it's part of your Indy gear.

Kyle
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Bullwhips at Disneyland

Post by IndianaJack91 »

No they dont because they consider it a weapon. Plus they sell their own toy whip that they would love for you to carry arround! :whip:
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

That's right - there is no way you could get in with a real whip. Also I think I read something that they frowned on people wearing Indygear as it looks better than the character they had in the park last year for the digs they did in conjunction with the CS in the theatres.
I think you can find the original posts if you (no pun intended) dig around the site.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

What if that is how I have dressed all my life even BEFORE Raiders came out? (Granted that is impossible because I'm only 23, but still...) Isn't that some kind of discrimination. I bet if you put up a big enough fuss about them "insulting" your normal clothing by thinking it is a "costume" then they could get into some trouble if you REALLLY wanted to do something about it.

OR

[Disney] Get your cast members some proper Indy clothes.

Kyle
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

I dont think the moustapo will do anything now since the promotion is over, so its safe to wear gear.(well, I have never had a problem).
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

The issue is that a bullwhip is not an article of clothing. Many do view the whip as a weapon and it can, in fact, inflict a great deal on damage and injury to one's person or others. Kyle, you know firsthand the type of damage a whip can do. Disney, and any other establishment, reserves the right to bar your entrance if they feel that you may be a threat to their guests or their employees. Going dressed like you normally do is fine, but I have a feeling you don't normally walk the streets with a bullwhip hanging on your belt and if you do, great! But the fact is that it is not a part of your clothing. If they told you you couldn't enter with your hat or jacket, that would be another story entirely.

Dave
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

I was all geared up when "Forbidden Eye" first opened and I got halfway down mainstreet before the moustapo ( I really like that term, BTW ) politely asked me to put it in a locker. Image
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Would they let you bring a baseball bat in? It also can be used as a weapon, and can inflict some serious damage.

For some reason, whips just seem to get more attention.

(The TSA allows me to carry my carbon fibre monopod - with heavy metal mount on the end - on a plane. I am pretty sure one swing of that would kill someone. The world is a crazy place.)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

If it were up to me, I'd take my whip with me everywhere I go, but it just isn't acceptable in most places. My response was simply to the statement that a bullwhip is an article of a perosns clothing and why whips are not an acceptable tool to be had at certain establishments.

Dave
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

Solent MKIII wrote:I was all geared up when "Forbidden Eye" first opened and I got halfway down mainstreet before the moustapo ( I really like that term, BTW ) politely asked me to put it in a locker. Image
I like it too :lol:
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I don't think they'd let you take a bat in either.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

nicktheguy wrote:I don't think they'd let you take a bat in either.
There goes my plan to dress as Babe Ruth.

:-({|=
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

And there goes my plan to dress as 'Bat-man'. :rolling:
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

:lol:
Insomniac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Insomniac »

Halloween might be the only exception... :-k
But when i went to Hollywood studios(Orlando) they didn't check my gas mask bag so just sneak it in.

Mousetapo: #-o Man with purse...Let him go thru.

Insomniac: It's a murse!!! :Plymouth:
Last edited by Insomniac on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

They have always checked my MKvii before entering the parks. I wouldn't try that method as you may end up with a confiscated bullwhip. Why would you need it in the first place, though? You don't have any space to get a couple cracks off in the park so it would be pointless to take it unless its purpose is to draw attention to yourself. :-k

Dave
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Yeah, they always check me, too. Guess I have that kind of face.... :roll:

...I wouldn't 'sneak it in' if I were you....Bad Karma....
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

this is that cheap $30-$40 dollar disney whip people were talking about. this was my very first whip

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff32 ... G_1972.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff32 ... G_1973.jpg
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

Yah that whip is way over priced
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

I went to Disneyland around Halloween time last year. On Friday nights in October you can wear any costume as a Halloween costume into California adventure, even Disney characters. I dressed as Indy (sans whip, sans holster) and everything was cool. Earlier that day, though, I dressed as Indy (see picture) into Disneyland itself.

And I made it all the way through Main St., Adventureland, the Indy ride and the jungle cruise, getting nice comments and compliments from Park employees, and I took about five pictures with park-goers, (who thought I worked at the park!)

Finally, about 3pm, after I got off Thunder Mountain, a security guard ordered me to remove the hat. He said a lot of people had been seeing me around asking what time the "Indy show" was going to be. I feigned annoyance, :-s but was completing smiling on the inside. :D

My "gear" consisted of Wested Pants, WPG shirt, Aldens, a THEMOVIESHOP Indy hat (not even my HJ), and a strap from Todd's carrying an Israeli paratrooper bag (I would have brought my MKVII, but the paratrooper bag holds more Halloween candy) \:D/

Now, the reason one cannot dress as Indy into the park is simple: It's a character they feature there, and they don't want anyone confusing the guests (as I did). I actually had to explain to some parents why I couldn't autograph their son's autograph book. But we got a quick picture together anyway. I really did feel bad, but I was worried that if I got caught signing his book, I would have gotten thrown out of the park, and it was only about 10am. :oops:
bluzharp
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bluzharp »

DarenHenryW wrote:I went to Disneyland around Halloween time last year. On Friday nights in October you can wear any costume as a Halloween costume into California adventure, even Disney characters. I dressed as Indy (sans whip, sans holster) and everything was cool. Earlier that day, though, I dressed as Indy (see picture) into Disneyland itself.

And I made it all the way through Main St., Adventureland, the Indy ride and the jungle cruise, getting nice comments and compliments from Park employees, and I took about five pictures with park-goers, (who thought I worked at the park!)

Finally, about 3pm, after I got off Thunder Mountain, a security guard ordered me to remove the hat. He said a lot of people had been seeing me around asking what time the "Indy show" was going to be. I feigned annoyance, :-s but was completing smiling on the inside. :D
:oops:
"Take off your hat"??? Man that's lame. BOOO! DL security guards can be overbearing Nazi's sometimes. Most of them are LAPD wannabe's who flunked out of basic training! Sorry about your brush with them; I hope it didn't ruin your visit.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Hmmm that's interesting that you got "talked to" by the park workers. I went like this and didn't have one word said to me. I'm sorry that happened to you though.

Image\

Kyle
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Great pics, Kyle! I'd been wondering when someone would try this. Did you get permission from a cast member for the second pic, or did you sneak under the bamboo railing, Indy-style? Image
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

This was in 2005:

We were asked to "Tone it down," when some people wanted pictures with us. Interestingly though, Peter from Wested was with us and the guys in the souvenir shop tried to sell him one of the Disney jackets (complete with INDIANA JONES embossed on the back and button cuffs!), claiming it was "The same as the kind used in the movie." Peter said, "So that's what I've been doing wrong!" #-o :lol:

Shane
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

THAT is a great story! And so funny about Peter! Man, all the @#$% they sell at Disneyland is such garbage!

Thanks so much for the posting the pic and sharing the story! I'm definitely telling my non-Indy friends about that one!

Very cool!
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Tundrarider wrote:Awesome gear and pics, Kyle! :D

How did you get away with this? :o

When was this trip? Did you get any pics on the walk into the ride?

Thanks!

Michael :TOH:
No pics of the walk into the ride- just video, and yes I filmed the entire ride :)
I got behind the bars because I asked the cast member and he said "Dude, with all of that Indiana Jones stuff, you HAVE to take a picture on the truck!"

Kyle
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

I wore all my gear about 6 years ago to Disney World on Halloween. I got stopped by Barney at the gate and asked to check my whip at Customer Service.
While in there, I met another Indy WITH wip! He said nobody stopped him; so it must depend on which rent-a-cop's line you go through!
DetectiveJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by DetectiveJones »

Let's start our own park "Indyland." We could probably do it in a really big back yard. Show your whip at the gate and get 50% off the ticket price!
sallah4
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sallah4 »

Moustapo, Now that is funny.
Squiffy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Squiffy »

Since we're sharing stories:

I went to Disneyland 3 months ago wearing my A2 jacket, Indy shirt, and fedora, and went with a friend who normally dresses a bit vintage because he uses a fedora to keep the sun off his light skin. The only thing that happened was the Jungle Cruise operator introduced us and Indy and his dad. Torqued off my friend because I'm older than he is by about 13 years.

We tried to replicate the spiked ceiling scene in TOD, I'll go scan the phot we took. It's OK...