Other Famous movie whips...

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

pfcyoung
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Other Famous movie whips...

Post by pfcyoung »

I know this is generally an Indy forum... but i was wondering if anybody knew anything about the other whips that have been used in hollywood (color, length, maker...etc) such as Zorro or Catwoman (michele pfeifer or halle berry) Lash Larue, man from snowy river or any other whip that i cant think of....
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Other Famous movie whips...

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Well, according to Terry Jacka's website, he made the whips for both of the recent Catwomen (Halle Berry & Michelle Pfieffer) in Batman Returns and Catwoman. He also made the whips used in The Rundown.

As for Zorro, David Morgan supplied his 450 bullwhips for the Mask of Zorro, as did Joseph Strain who supplied at least one whip for The Mask of Zorro (at least in the 'candle-snuffing' scene). Strain also supplied the bullwhips for The Legend of Zorro.

At least that was all the research I found while prepping for my whip! ;)
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Right. But then which were the one's made by Terry for The Rundown? I always thought Paul Nolan made the ones for that film. :-k
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

I'd like to know something about the whip Yul Brynner used in "The Ten Commandments". I saw it last week and because of this place, I immediately started to look carefully at his whip. I've seen this movie a hundred times it seems, but I'd never noticed the whip before. Thanks everyone. ;)
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Ok, here is a good one, since we are talking about famous movie whips....

"Who made the whips used in the fight sequence between Flash and Barin in the 1980 movie Flash Gordon?"

I have yet to find an answer on that one ;)

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
myrddin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by myrddin »

I just want to know where I can get a pink bullwhip like they used in Zorro the Gay Blade. :-
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Marhala wrote:Right. But then which were the one's made by Terry for The Rundown? I always thought Paul Nolan made the ones for that film. :-k
Hi there Marhala, Terry made the whips that were used in pretty much the first half of the film. The whips I made for The Rundown were used only for the final fight scene between "The Rock" and the three henchman each carrying 2 whips. We made 12 whips total for the production, 6 were used for the training of the 3 henchman actors, and the other 6 were sent later and used on screen in that final fight sequence.

You can see some pictures of the whips we provided before the props department attached the unique handles that they made, here:

http://www.midwestwhips.com/TheRundownWhips.html

There is also a short bit of story with the dates we sent the whips to the production. They were all 6ft whips, and the ones Terry made were all longer in length and for the scenes earlier on in the film.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
http://www.midwestwhips.com
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Castor Dioscuri wrote: As for Zorro, David Morgan supplied his 450 bullwhips for the Mask of Zorro, as did Joseph Strain who supplied at least one whip for The Mask of Zorro (at least in the 'candle-snuffing' scene). Strain also supplied the bullwhips for The Legend of Zorro.

At least that was all the research I found while prepping for my whip! ;)
Hi Castor,

You are quite right, I used to own that Joe Strain whip that Sir Anthony Hopkins used in the 'candle snuffing cave" scene, but just recently sold it. I had acquired it years ago from Hopkin's Stunt double and whip coach Alex Green.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Screen Used Zorro whip, which was also the prototype for the Alex Green and Official Zorro whip:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/ ... owhip1.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/ ... owhip2.jpg

This thread also has some good information on the Zorro whips...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33942

Regards,

Paul Nolan
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

While on the topic of Zorro whips, and famous movie whips, Here is some information that I had posted on another forum about the ORIGINAL ZORRO WHIP from back in 1925, and it very likely that this was the first Kangaroo hide whip to be seen in any Hollywood movie, so you could even say that it was the ORIGINAL famous movie whip, lol.

"The whip that Douglas Fairbanks used in the Don Q. Son of Zorro movie is a Henderson whip. Rex "Snowy" Baker(who used Henderson whips) came to the states in the early 1920's from Australia, and introduced Douglas Fairbanks to(as well as taught him to use) the Stockwhip. It was after that when Fairbanks decided to incorporate the whip into the Zorro sequel "Don Q. Son of Zorro". On the Dvd version I have of the film there are some home videos of Fairbanks, and part of it shows him practicing with the whip. Here is another photo I have of Fairbanks with one of his Henderson whips, and you can see the detail a little better.

And here are a few pictures of a Cecil Henderson 48 plait Stockwhip Handle in which the patterns very closely resemble the look of the Douglas Fairbanks Whip. Although I would think Fairbanks' whips were probably more like 16, 20, or 24 plait, but who knows...

Cowboy film star Col. Tim McCoy was also taught by "Snowy" Baker, who was recommended to him by Fairbanks. Here is a picture of the Col. with his Henderson whip. The photo is from 1937.

Image"

Regards,

Paul Nolan
pfcyoung
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfcyoung »

all I can say is ...WOW!!! :o ...

that collection of pics of that stockwhip looks to be a 64 plait! are you sure its only 48? that is incredible!
racerx
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by racerx »

I'd like to know something about the whip Yul Brynner used in "The Ten Commandments". I saw it last week and because of this place, I immediately started to look carefully at his whip. I've seen this movie a hundred times it seems, but I'd never noticed the whip before. Thanks everyone

Is this the whip your talking about? :) .

Jim J.
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks a lot for the information on the whips used in "The Rundown", Paul. It has been very useful.

Have a great weekend,

Aldo.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Jim, Nice Ten Commandments whip! :tup: That's Jack Perry's work, Isn't It?
racerx
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by racerx »

Thanks Dan,

yep, it was made by Jack Perry, I opted for the alumium handle rather than the silver, it weighs less and is a considerable bit easier to take care of.

now I have to find a horse an buggy deal and 'flick a fly from the horses ear without breaking his stride', as vincent Price said in the movie, :D , .

I better practice a heck of a lot more, :whip: .

ATB

Jim J.
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

Vaderbreath wrote:I'd like to know something about the whip Yul Brynner used in "The Ten Commandments". I saw it last week and because of this place, I immediately started to look carefully at his whip. I've seen this movie a hundred times it seems, but I'd never noticed the whip before. Thanks everyone. ;)
Speaking of religious epics, I was also watching Ben Hur recently and noticed a scene after the Intermission in which Messala is using a whip to annoy Drusus. Only a minute or so of screen time, but would love to know more about it.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

One of my favorite movies Jim, I always though of it as the prequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark LOL, Either way though that’s a great whip, I bet it’s a fun one to crack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHHs3ZWIaek and here it is in Action!

This is a great topic, we know a surprising amount of information about many of those other whips, but Sometimes its nearly impossible to confirm the whips used in a particular film. If you have any photos of those other movie whips in question, post them, sometimes that can help us narrow down who made them.

Lash Larue used a lot of bullwhips though out his career but most of them where American swivel handle bullwhips, even though he was also trained by Australian Rex Baker. I’ve talked with some of his surviving family members about the whips he used and even they couldn’t tell me any brand name, but I believe some of them where made by the now defunct Bucheimer company in Maryland and the Diamond Whip Co. out of Chicago. Lash was known to heavily modify the ends of his whips though them to make them perform better for him. In later years he would go out on tour at various state fairs and such, demonstrating and selling the same swivel handled bullwhips sold by Western Stage Props, as souvenirs.

The bullwhip used in Shanghai Noon was a long handled 12 plait target bullwhip by Terry Jacka (Terry’s whips actually show up in a lot of films and TV shows) I am pretty sure the whip Tom Savini used in Dusk til Dawn was one of Terry’s stock whips, as well as the bullwhip used in Starship Troopers and one used in an episode of the Power Rangers kids show.

Zorro: the Gay Blade, most of those where made by the late Leonard Wheatly and where wooden handled 12 plait cowhide bullwhips with a twisted nylon fall and popper.

The Man from Snowy River had a lot of stock whips in it, Even Jim Craig’s stock whip changed from scene to scene, but I’m not really sure who all made them. Maybe some of our well networked Australian whip makers can add in if they know or have ever heard who made what for that film. The whips from the more recent film Australia however where made by Mick Dennigan, Hugh Jackman’s whip was a special order 7ft 12 plait two-tone stock whip.

Dan
pfcyoung
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfcyoung »

I am glad that this thread never got deleted and that we can talk about all kinds of really cool bullwhips besides Indy's.

some of these whips i have never heard of or seen but they are amazing nonetheless...

not seen Australia yet but i would like to see Wolverine crack a stock whip!
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

I watched the Rocky Horror Picture show the other night and Tim Curry has a whip in his hand for about 20 minutes of the movie.

It looks almost like a cow whip handle with some sort of double lash.

xoxo

Louie
http://bullwhips.org
Montresor
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Montresor »

There was a similar conversation that was had here a while ago. Here's the link.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31382
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

I discovered an Aussie looking bullwhip while re-watching some of the old Star Trek Original Series episodes the other day... haven't seen those old episodes since I was a kid! Poor William Shatner didn't do a particularly good job wielding it though, lol. I couldn't make Alt+PrintScreen work in order to get a clearer image, so this is just a photo I took of my computer screen while the episode was paused.

Bullwhip from Star Trek The Original Series Episode "Plato's Stepchildren" Aired 1969

Lauren Wickline
http://www.MidWestWhips.com
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

anyone know much about the whip scene from "High Plains Drifter" ?

Indiana Jake
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Neat find Lauren, there was another episode I remember that had a William Shatner fighting a someone armed with a bullwhip.

Jake, I’ve wondered about those whips used in High Plains Drifter too. The main whip looked to be an Australian style bullwhip, but I’ve never seen a clear enough photo of the whips themselves to be able make a more exacting identification.

This is the best photo of one of those whips I had. It has the slightly longer handle and a fairly sophisticated taper compared to most American bullwhips being made around that time (1973). Though its hard to make out it also looks like it has an Australian style fall attached.

You can tell they used several different “whips” during the whipping scenes though, including a couple thicker, more roughtly made whips. I swear at times it looked more like rope then a plaited leather whip too, which I would venture to guess might have been used for safety reasons.

Dan
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

BullWhipBorton wrote:

I swear at times it looked more like rope then a plaited leather whip too, which I would venture to guess might have been used for safety reasons.

Dan
That is exactly the thing I can remember about them also Dan, that they looked poorly made with no backbone. The screen capture you found is certainly not the whip used in the whipping scene.

Jim