Streets of Cairo look

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Streets of Cairo look

Post by Ken »

What is the best way to apply Fuller's Earth to a Fedora. When i sprinkle it or throw it on it comes out like rain drops and stays that way. If it try to smear it on then it comes out in one big blodge. Any ideas? Hopefully you understand

Ken
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Hey Ken,

MK told me the best way was to use a powder puff or make-up brush to apply the Fuller's Earth. I've also heard that adding the Fuller's Earth to a sock and knotting it was a good way to go. Just "pat" the sock around the hat and you can control the amount. Remember to add a little more than usual at the base of the ribbon (where dust would settle naturally) and to take it easy. It's easier to add than to take away! Have fun!

Regards,

Dr. J

P.S. You can see links to my old fed here: http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bmarz1 ... pg&.view=t
Bones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Bones »

Hey Dr. J, did you change the ribbon on that federation? Or is that the original? (Edit: :oops: I looked at some of your other pictures, and read your description, and I found my answer... perhaps you can help me get that done when mine gets here?)

I think I'm going to try the sock method with some fullers earth I have here on one of my work fedoras.

Thanks,
Bones
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Dr J

Many thanks!!!! Very useful information.

Ken
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Hey Dr. J, did you change the ribbon on that federation?
Bones! You bet I did! When you get around to doing yours, take it over to Barons California Hats in Burbank! Talk to Mark or Sylvia! Tell 'em you're on Indygear and that you want a new ribbon! They can also add a dimensional cut to the hat if you want. They do great work and they're very reasonably priced!

Are you working Sunday?

Dr. J
sebas
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sebas »

Hi guys,

Question: Doesn't the Fed already come with the dimentional cut? I'm pretty sure it does.

Dr J, how long did you have your Fed before you had to reblock it?

Cheers,
Sebas
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

For the Fuller's Earth I had the same problem. Finally I just put heaping amounts all around the brim and where I really wanted it to show. Then I took it outside and basically shook and beat the heck out of it until it looked right. Now not only does the Fullers look right but the hat looks a little worn in like Indy's
lindiana
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Off topic -

Hi Ken, where abouts in bonny Scotland are you based?

I met up with Geordie Jones a short while ago, as he lives not 20 mins away from me, and we were talking about doing something in the early summer - a bit of whip cracking maybe and whatever else the other UK fans fancy - are you interested in meeting up? Maybe we could organise a new UK summit?

Apols to the mods.

Regards

Al
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Al

I would love to meet up. I am in Dundee at the minute. However I shall be journeying to the states for 2 months in the summer to work. However I have to go to London for an interview at the US embassy to get my Visa for the trip. This has not been scheduled yet but should take place some time in January. Even if it is not in January I am thinking of coming to London for a weekend maybe anyway to meet up with MK while he is in town (again January).

But yeah a UK summit sounds like a good idea and there appear to be more and more of us UK folks gradually coming out of the woodwork here. I know I had a great time when I was last in London and it was good meeting Geordi and Pip!

So yeah it would be great to meet up.

Ken

PS - should also be in London sometime in August too (if flying back from the states) so will keep you posted on that too.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

By the way....

Excuse my lack of experience, but with a makeup brush or powder puff, you dip that in the Fuller's Earth and then put that on that hat or put the FE onto the hat and then use the brush/puff?

Ken
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

I have used a 1" round makeup brush and apply liberally. IMO, the brush can get into crevices where the other items cannot. Like Lindiana said (soort of) the trick is not getting the Fuller's Earth on, but intentionally overapplying it and getting it off. A little goes a long way, but I simply brush the entire hat lightly then really apply a heavy coat around the ribbon/bow area. Then I wear the hat over one hand while taking the brush in the other and beating the Fuller's Earth from it (like you would clean a carpet). After a while, you get the hang of it and will find yourself touching areas up again. Again, as mentioned - do this outside :P

Bigger pic:
http://www.ricktheriault.com/sitebuilde ... fed005.jpg

MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Indiana Ken wrote:By the way....

Excuse my lack of experience, but with a makeup brush or powder puff, you dip that in the Fuller's Earth and then put that on that hat or put the FE onto the hat and then use the brush/puff?

Ken
You fold the puff in half, dab one one end into the fullers, then fold the puff in the opposite direction so the fullers in now inside. Now massage the two side together, gently grinding the fullers into the puff, which distributes the fullers. The unfold and apply using a stippling motion. Don't wipe or smear. It creates unnatural streaks.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Michael

Thanks! Just the man I was hoping to hear from. I hope I can get it looking like Rick's hat above - its great!

Ken
Bones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Bones »

How about this, for a more realistic look, maybe: :lol:

(do this outside)

1. Moisten up your fed with a spray bottle, spray more around the ribbon area.
2. Set up an electric fan pointing at the fedora, leave a foot or two in between.
3. Pour some fullers earth in front of the fan while its blowing, or set some up in a plastic sandwich bag on a table between the hat and the fan... and leave it open so the "desert wind" will carry the "sand" all over the "sweaty" parts of your hat. :wink:

Bones