Nylon Stockwhips

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

badger_state
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Nylon Stockwhips

Post by badger_state »

Since it is the end of December in Wisconsin, I can only imagine that I'll be seeing some snow sooner or later. I'm looking at nylon stockwhips by Greg DeSaye and 21st Century Whips, but I have no idea of how good the quality is. Anyone have any nylon s'whip recommendations?

Thanks!

Jeremy.
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

I though I'd logged onto the wrong site for a second there - thought it said 'nylon stockings'...... :oops:

:lol:

Al

PS - sorry I can't help with your question
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Re: Nylon Stockwhips

Post by Sergei »

badger_state wrote:Since it is the end of December in Wisconsin, I can only imagine that I'll be seeing some snow sooner or later. I'm looking at nylon stockwhips by Greg DeSaye and 21st Century Whips, but I have no idea of how good the quality is. Anyone have any nylon s'whip recommendations?

Thanks!

Jeremy.
Never heard of these guys. I would recommend:
Tim Bass (tbass@adwarchitects.com)
Rhett Kelly (http://www.cowwhips.com/info.shtml)
Western Stage Props ( www.westernstageprops.com)

If you do a search on the above here at this forum using the "search" feature, you will see plenty of pictures of the above sources. All of the above are very good with Bass and Kelly the most favorable. But they do have a huge backlog. WSP always has a good selection of nylon's in stock. I have an 8 footer that performs well in wet weather conditions.

-S
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

I looked at the 21st century whips and the DeSaye, and all I can tell you is that I e-mailed DeSaye last night and he got back to me this AM with questions about what I wanted. I sent him a pic of the DM 10 and said "Can you do this in nylon for me ?"

I am awaiting his answer.

I have inquired with Rhett Kelley, but his wait time is 5+ months and I need to be able to practice in the cold and wet here in NJ this winter. ( Rhett, if you read this don't worry, I'll still buy a whip from you :) )

I'll keep everyone posted.

Ken
Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor
Location: Where ya gotta go north to get to the deep South....

Post by Indiana_Hall »

I can't say anything for Greg DeSaye's whips, but I have handled a matched pair of stocks from 21st Century Whips. Steve Koliski's whips are excellent. The whips have the balance and feel of leather whips. The whips are waxed for extra protection against the elements. Steve makes a high-end product. While they cost a little more than the nylons from WSP, they are worth it. Steve also makes nylon bullwhips if you're interested. Thought I'd pitch in my .02...

High Regards, Indiana_Hall
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

not to be mean or anything, but you can get a 4 foot rhett kelly snakewhip for 40 bucks and hes(desay) selling them for 90.....hes kinda pricey...
i would check out tim bass too......he has made some really nice indy whips.
-mola
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

dont count steve out....i believe i talked to him on the whip enthuast. board, good guy. He also made that sweet keychain whip.
molorom
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

JUst heard back from Greg DeSaye who said that he can do it in natural tan 10' styled similar to a DM for $150.

Delivered in approx. three weeks ! :D

That sounds real good to me. I'll let you know if I do it.

Ken
TheMantis
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TheMantis »

Ken,

How do you contact Greg Desaye?
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

TheMantis wrote:Ken,

How do you contact Greg Desaye?
http://www.stockmansupply.com/Whip-intro.html
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Well, I made the move !

He'll be doing a 16 strand Tan DM styled Indy Bullwhip to the Morgan proportions, i.e. 8 inch handle, spanish ring, etc. and have it out in approx 3 weeks.

If his e-mail vigilance is any indication of his attention to customers, I think I'll do OK.

Price $145.00 shipped to my door, made to order.

Not bad so far.

Will advise as it comes time !

Ken
badger_state
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by badger_state »

Thanks for all of the info. I do have a Steve K (21st Century Whips) 6' bullwhip that is quite sweet - cracks very easily now that it has broken in a bit and will serve me very well in the winter. Anyone who is looking for a nylon bull may want to check him out. I was just curious to see if anyone had similar good experiences to share with any of the nylon stockwhips out there!

Thanks,

Jeremy.