Hello everyone from Sarah's Hat Boxes

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Hat Box Guy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Hello everyone from Sarah's Hat Boxes

Post by Hat Box Guy »

I just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. My name is Peter and I have been making handmade fabric hatboxes for 25 years in New Hampshire. Please visit our web-site to see our new line of Adventurebilt hatboxes.
http://www.sarahshatboxes.com/resultsAd ... enturebilt
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Hello everyone from Sarah's Hat Boxes

Post by Hollowpond »

You guys are awesome!!!! :clap:

Travis
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Welcome Peter, Glade you made it over.
IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyGeek78 »

Very nice indeed :TOH:

Welcome
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Welcome, Hat Box Guy!
...And Highest Regards on your quality work!
:TOH:

I'll always think of your Username as being the shortened version of what obviously MUST be your FULL name:
"The One & Only Hat Box Guy You'll Ever Want Making a Box For Your Hat!"
(but "Hat Box Guy" for short is just fine, too...)
;)

All the Best,
Mitch
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

Nice addition to your site! I'll be ordering mine shortly. Any thoughts on offering a dark brown one?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Do all of your round hat boxes have the interior like John's and the AB?

Travis
Hat Box Guy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hat Box Guy »

Hollowpond, Yes they all come with the hat insert and the inside is lined with white chipboard.

jedidentist; Thank you and yes you can order the box in dark brown. When ordering just type in the special instructions that you would like to order a dark brown hatbox. http://www.sarahshatboxes.com/resultsAd ... enturebilt
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Those look great...I'll be sure to pick one up once my AB arrives in about a year (give or take).
Hat Box Guy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hat Box Guy »

Almost forgot - I'd like to thank John Penman, Marc Kidder and Steve Delk for all their help and assistance getting the new Adventurebilt and Penman hatboxes up and running. Thanks again! Hat Box Guy
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Welcome aboard Peter! Good to see you here. I have raved about your very high quality hat boxes here. Can't wait to see the Indy themed one! Regards, Steve Delk
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Indy themed one???!?!?!? Has Steve let something out of the bag? Do tell. Do tell.

Travis
Hat Box Guy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hat Box Guy »

Travis; More information coming soon - we are working on it and we are pretty excited about it.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Well then...So am I!!! \:D/

Travis
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Hollowpond wrote:Well then...So am I!!! \:D/

Travis

you should be, it is just fantastic. Or should I say will be.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Awesome hat boxes! I am going to order one for my forthcoming AB. Would it be possible for you to make a Herbert Johnson logo box for those collectors who own HJs? I lost the original shipping box that mine came in, and have been storing my fedora in a pillowcase for the past 8 years. A HJ-edition hat box would be most useful. Keep up the great work!
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

I just ordered mine in dark brown. However, that was before I saw the "Indy Themed" idea :o Um...maybe you can hold off making mine until I see what that one might look like?

Derek
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I'm right there with you Derek. I was this close to ordering the brown yesterday when I saw Steve's post.

Travis
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

With two top men working on it, John Penman and Peter from Sarah's Hat Boxes, it will be!!

Now, I said, Indy themed, but you know we have to be careful with copywrite issues, so let's just say, "adventure" themed. That might keep Uncle George from getting sore. Fedora
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Fedora wrote:
With two top men working on it, John Penman and Peter from Sarah's Hat Boxes, it will be!!

Now, I said, Indy themed, but you know we have to be careful with copywrite issues, so let's just say, "adventure" themed. That might keep Uncle George from getting sore. Fedora

You are correct Steve. It's more Adventure themed than Indy themed. I think everyone will dig it.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

BendingOak wrote:I think everyone will dig it.
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Dave
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Hat Box Guy,
We know of several people who have received crushed hats in single box shippments. Do you ship the hat boxes in single or double boxes?

Now I am trying to figure out where I would store the hat boxes. I have no available shelf room in the house at this point. My hats are on hat racks, most which sit on top of something else, but there's not enough room to lay a hat box in it's place. And with the 3 ABs, 1 AB Deluxe, and I think 3 more ABs hats ordered over a year ago, I'd need a hat closet or Steve's trailer just to store all of those hats in boxes, but they sure would be nice for keeping the dust off inside the house, and keeping a hat from getting mangled in the car when I'm on a road trip.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

The last time I talked with peter on the phone it would be a while. There's a lot going into this one.
Blackthorn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Blackthorn »

Hat Box Guy, I sent you a very important PM about the hat box I recently got from you. Please check the private message and let me know what you think.
mrkaboom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mrkaboom »

The hat boxes look great and as a AB owner I was tempted. However i think charging $137 US for shipping alone to the UK is a tad excessive - especially given that Steve charges around $20 US to ship the hat itself.

If you could review this and perhaps offer a more cost effective option for shipping you may tempt us guys over the water.

MK
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Welcome Peter!
tgalahad
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by tgalahad »

Greetings Hat Box Guy. Looking forward to the "Adventure" hat box.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

BendingOak wrote:The last time I talked with peter on the phone it would be a while. There's a lot going into this one.
:-k I'm going to be at my house in Marlborough in 2 weeks, maybe I'll see if I can sneek by and get a first hand glimpse!
(It's New Hampshire, nobody locks their doors up there!) :[
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Dalexs wrote:
BendingOak wrote:The last time I talked with peter on the phone it would be a while. There's a lot going into this one.
:-k I'm going to be at my house in Marlborough in 2 weeks, maybe I'll see if I can sneek by and get a first hand glimpse!
(It's New Hampshire, nobody locks their doors up there!) :[

I'm sorry buddy but know one see's this one until it's done. You can see the other AB boxes, Penman hat boxes or the many different ones Peter makes. He can make some amazing boxes. If you get a chance go take a look at his site.

http://www.sarahshatboxes.com/
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I wonder what long term storage of the hat upside down in a hat box like this will do to the brim? My AB and AB Deluxe fedoras have a snap brim (I believe that's what they are called), where the front dips down and the back curls up slightly. The edges of the brim are not flat either.

I have a few questions. If the brim will maintain it's shape if stored in a hat box like this for many months or years? Also, could there be any marking, compressed felt, or rub marks on the top of the crown, or is there sufficient clearance to keep the crown from becoming storage damaged?

Are these boxes primarily designed for shelf storage? What are other possible uses? (and please, no candy dish jokes. This is not play money for a hat storage.)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Mark, the concept of this kind of hat box is nothing new. They've done it for ages. I tend to think that if it would've been bad for the hat, they would've come up with something else years ago. I have a 1930's Stetson I keep in a box similar to this and it hasn't affected the hat negatively in any way whatsoever. I would also think that if it's an AB or Penman box, it's designed with Indy crown heights in mind. ;)
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

I keep my Fed IV in the shipping box, which handily doubles as a Hat Box....upside down, no noticeable ill effect on the brim.

I picked up a cheapo Stetson cardboard Hatbox at a local hat place for my Christy's and it came with a foam insert which has a hole in the middle for the crown and lays flat on the brim. If you're that concerned about it, I'm sure you should be able to find something similar. Although I would tend to side with Bink, these hat boxes are really nothing new.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Thanks guys, I was hoping that someone would chime in. If anyone else has experience with this or other hat boxes, I'd like to hear and share with the group.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

For reference, most of the similar hat boxes I have, including the one for the vintage Stetson, are vintage hat boxes. Most of them are not as nice as the Sarah Hat Box shown above. If the vintage boxes haven't harmed my hats, I can only think that these new boxes will take even better care of them.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

That is reassuring, Bink. Now I just need a job so I can afford to buy some, and some place in the house to put them.
Blackthorn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Blackthorn »

Hat Box Guy wrote:I just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. My name is Peter and I have been making handmade fabric hatboxes for 25 years in New Hampshire. Please visit our web-site to see our new line of Adventurebilt hatboxes.
Hat Box Guy, what are the measurements of the insert for the Adventurebilt? How wide, long and deep is the hole where the crown fits?

Thanks in advance! :TOH:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

have a few questions. If the brim will maintain it's shape if stored in a hat box like this for many months or years? Also, could there be any marking, compressed felt, or rub marks on the top of the crown, or is there sufficient clearance to keep the crown from becoming storage damaged?
This type of box was designed, way back, for storing hats. So, I doubt there is a better way to store, and if it is to stay there for a long time, use moth balls just in case.

When I first talked to Peter, I mentioned that the retainer that suspends the hat needs to be taller than the one that John sent to me. At least 5 1/2 inches tall, (my hats are 5 inches tall, after creases) so the hat's crown would not touch the bottom of the box. Peter took that info right away and will use it.

These boxes are not cheap. But, I doubt you will find any other hat box on the level that these are. The old hat boxes, were mostly not very rugged, and I have many that have come apart at the seams, but I still use them, just tape em' up. So, being able to get such a tank of a box, really pleased me, big time.

I needed a box to send to Indy 5, if that happens, and now I have them!! Bernie had to go and use boxes from Barons, for Indy 4. Can't let that happen again! :lol: I was a bit embarrassed by that incident. So, thanks to my good friend John, for helping Marc and I out. We just don't have the time these days for essentials like these.

There will be a day in the future, where if you buy a hat from my site, I will include a box like this. Could not afford to do it, at my old pricing. But, now I can. Fedora
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

The inserts on my boxes are a bit lower. I did this as not to war the brim. I had a few customers worried about warping their brims on their hats. Thats why I had Peter drop the height. Also I have a good amount of non- Indy hats that I sell.

I can have Peter put in either size insert. Just let me know. There is a trade off just like everything in life. Heigh insert and the top of the crown will not touch the bottom but the hat will rest on the brim. Low insert and the brim will be un-touched but the crown will touch the bottom.
Blackthorn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Blackthorn »

I have one of these boxes that I bought through John Penman and I've never seen a higher quality box (nor do they exist, IMHO). They are extremely well made and will keep the moths out of your hat. A few years ago I had moths eat a hole in a suit that I had hanging in a closet. That won't happen to a hat in one of these boxes.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Blackthorn wrote:I have one of these boxes that I bought through John Penman and I've never seen a higher quality box (nor do they exist, IMHO). They are extremely well made and will keep the moths out of your hat. A few years ago I had moths eat a hole in a suit that I had hanging in a closet. That won't happen to a hat in one of these boxes.

If a moth or something eats a hole in this box , I wouldn't stick around to see what did it. :shock:
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

:rolling:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

You guys have no idea how nice these boxes are. Photo's don't do them justice. They are not your old cardboard box. No one will ever touch Peter when it comes to hat boxes of this kind.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I got my hat box last week and must agree... these hat boxes are the very best! These boxes are LEAGUES over the box I was using.
mrkaboom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mrkaboom »

is it just me who thinks that $137 US to ship to the UK or europe is excessive given that the hat box is $55 US?

If so i need to get a job where you guys work!

MK
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

it just me who thinks that $137 US to ship to the UK or europe is excessive given that the hat box is $55 US?
Seems a bit high to me, but I am used to shipping smaller boxes overseas. But I use USPS too, and they are cheaper to use than UPS or Fed Ex. USPS then uses Fed Ex, for their shipments overseas. Makes no sense.

I just ship first class overseas though, maybe the hatbox guy is using a faster means. You would have to email him about it.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Where did you get that price from?
Jonny Whip Crack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonny Whip Crack »

John, I just tried to buy one, and the shipping to Alberta, Canada was also $137 US. I quickly removed the item from the cart. Something's wrong with that. Ever AIR FEDEX would be about $80.
Guess we'll see if anything changes.
You still have some?

Jonny
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Jonny Whip Crack wrote:John, I just tried to buy one, and the shipping to Alberta, Canada was also $137 US. I quickly removed the item from the cart. Something's wrong with that. Ever AIR FEDEX would be about $80.
Guess we'll see if anything changes.
You still have some?

Jonny

I will contact Peter for you in the morning and send him a e-mail asking him to pop in here.
mrkaboom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mrkaboom »

Thanks Oak that way i might be able to put those pills back in the medicine cabinet.

EEK!

MK
Hat Box Guy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hat Box Guy »

Good day everyone. I guess I'd like to start out by addressing some of the questions and concerns about the Adventurebilt hatboxes.
1. Insert size: The inside dimension of our insert is 8 1/2" x 7" x 5 1/2" tall.

2. Shipping costs: I have no idea where anyone got $137.00. We do not calculate shipping for outside the United States on the web-site. Please note this is what it says above our "add to cart" button

For orders outside of the continental US please call to calculate shipping costs.

Sarah's Hat Boxes is a handmade product. We have a special instructions section when you purchase the box please add any special instructions you have there.

You do not need to purchase our hatboxes only from the web-site, you can call us and we can discuss any questions or concerns you have at that time. You can e-mail your shipping address from outside of the US and we can e-mail you a cost for shipping and then you can call us with credit card information when you decide to purchase your hatbox.

Any questions or concerns you may have with the Penman hatboxes please contact John Penman.

If there are any other questions or concerns please let me know. Thanks, Hat Box Guy