tight or not???

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

tight or not???

Post by your ghost host »

I am thiking of a new hat and wondering if thge hat should be tight on my head or allitle lose
or is it optional to what I want :-k
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: tight or not???

Post by binkmeisterRick »

You should get a hat that fits how you want it to. A hat should fit comfortably. If it's too tight, you won't want to wear it after a while because it will give you a headache. If too loose, it'll rattle about your head. Keep in mind the average sweatband will shrink just slightly enough to conform to your head, so it's better to err on the side of a little loose as opposed to too tight. If you're getting a hat from one of our "local" hatters, talk to them and they will steer you in the right direction and properly fit you for your hat.
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Thank you,
you have a great help in my quest for a good hat :D
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Glad to help. :TOH:
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

what do you think of this website ??? :-k

http://www.themovieshop.com/Movie-Hats

this is where i got my first one (the wool :oops: )
but what if I go with the fur felt or even the herbert jhonson
or should I forget this site completly :[
thanks again :notworthy:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

those hats are the christies hats. ( Hornet hats) the thread about the hat you are wondering about is here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33372&start=500

getting them from their original shop will be cheaper I think.

http://www.hornetshats.com/f_hatview.ph ... ur%20Felts

its the 'adventurer' get it in sable. light sable would be to light IMO.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Yeah, you'll save about $20-$30 if you buy it from Hornet's Hats directly.

Personally, I like my Adventurer. I have one in Sable. Now, that having been said, it's not going to be the most durable hat. I wouldn't wear it out in the rain, for example.

The nice thing about the Christy's is that you can customize it. They will let you change the ribbon (although their stock ribbon is fine for an Indy hat), the brim width, and open crown height. AFAIK, these options aren't available on many other factory hats.

I also really like the way the felt looks and feels, to me it reacts very much like the Raiders hat once it starts to loosen up a little.

The Fed IV, from Hatsdirect, is also in the same price range. The felt is much stiffer, but also much more durable.

If you're going to go for a Herbert Johnson, I would forget about buying it from anyone else but Magnoli Clothiers. Those are reblocked and reworked by Mr. Steve Delk to be a great hat. The price may be a deterrent to some folks. The stock Herbert Johnsons are essentially Christy's hats with a different liner.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

ghost, what is your budget for this hat, as well as your requirements for screen accuracy and durability within that price range?
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

$100 is a good price (that is what the christy's is :) )
if I go much ove that I might as well wait and decide on even more options
so around $100 is perfect :D

As for SA I am thinking in the middle, not a cheap wool felt off of ebay or some lame costume store but not as SA as, say an Adventure Built and the christy's is open crowned so if I go with Sable I should be able to find some bashing help on the COW :P

Now for durability (sp) all really want is a hat that can handle a car ride with the windows open because when the windows are open the wind messes up my brim which I thinks messed up my first hat :x
It would also be nice to get one that won't become all wavey in when it is wet becuse when I go in the rain I bring my fedora so my face doesn't get wet but if you can't find a hat like that I can learn not to get it wet :[

so there you go my requirments
(I am thinking christy's is my best bet) but thanks for helping any way :TOH:
Mighty_Draw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mighty_Draw »

I think you'll be better served by an akubra federation given your hat criteria and your price range. Really for the money they are excellent, I have two that have with stood quite a bit of daily wear in all conditions and are holding up very well, no tapering and I never experienced any brim maladies like you describe.

Or, be patient, save, and get an AB Henry.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

If you go the Christy, you can customize it by sending an email to the CS rep. In the past, I have asked them to move the ribbon down so it covers the sweatband stitches, cut down the brim to 2 7/8" front to back by 2 5/8" side to side (some prefer 2 3/4" inches front to back and 2 1/2" side to side). The back brim of the Christy is also curled quite a bit, when you receive it from them, and I've asked them to straighten it out.

For $100, the Fed. Heritage is in reach, or as some have said, with a little more 'deferred gratification', the custom hats are within groping distance. :P
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Mighty_Draw wrote:I think you'll be better served by an akubra federation given your hat criteria and your price range. Really for the money they are excellent, I have two that have with stood quite a bit of daily wear in all conditions and are holding up very well, no tapering and I never experienced any brim maladies like you describe.

Or, be patient, save, and get an AB Henry.
Both of the federations seem like nice hats but the ribbon totaly looks brown :shock:
I don't know if that is the picture or not but it just isn't right
The problem with waiting for enough money is that I am a teenager so I not sure weather or not my head will grow so I am just scared of buying an AB or magnoli HJ or a Penman and growing out of it :-({|=
so will my head grow? :-k
and a random question, what material is the raiders fedora made out of bever or rabbit fur or botht? :-k
Thanks again :TOH:
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

The problem with waiting for enough money is that I am a teenager so I not sure weather or not my head will grow so I am just scared of buying an AB or magnoli HJ or a Penman and growing out of it
so will my head grow?
I ordered my AB in a 22 1/4 when I was 16, and it still fits like a charm and I'm almost 20.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Raiders fedora was Rabbit.

I wouldn't worry too much about your head growing unless you're on the lower end of the teenage spectrum.
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

Where would you say is the middle of that spectrum?
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Haha, well, I ain't no doctor or anything, but I was pretty much done growing by the time I was 17 (in terms of height, not body mass ;)).

I mean, if I were 14 I might consider the "growing into" a hat thing, but not if I were 16 or 17...but hey, that's just me. Some people have growth spurts later in life, I was not one of them.
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

well I am tall and skinny 14 year old teenager so I thinking of waiting on the expensive hats :cry:
So now I am thinking christy's is that my best bet do you think :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

your ghost host wrote:and a random question, what material is the raiders fedora made out of bever or rabbit fur or botht? :-k
Thanks again :TOH:
Pure rabbit. Of course, it lends itself to taper and shrinkage, the SoC look, that many are fond of. It's very floppy felt. If durability is an issue, then the custom beaver felts are the way to go, or the 80/20 AB Henry. If you live in a place that gets lots of weather, ie rain, then beaver felt is the way to go. If you want it to be practically bullet proof and will last practically all your life, then custom beaver is it.

Some have said that the Christy is a generic HJ, that the felt is sourced from the same felter. It really depends on what you want most in a hat, what look you want to achieve and how much you can spend.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

your ghost host wrote:well I am tall and skinny 14 year old teenager so I thinking of waiting on the expensive hats :cry:
So now I am thinking christy's is that my best bet do you think :-k
Ahh, well, in that case....IMHO, you can't go wrong with a Fed IV or a Christy's....I have both :TOH:

If you're going to get it wet, Fed IV.

The Christy's can get pretty floppy, so I hear. Mine isn't quite at that stage yet, but is working itself towards being floppier.
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

so now I have a couple desicions to make
1. to buy a christy's or a federation
2. then If I go with a federation do I get deluxe or regular
am I right?
now whats your guys opinion :-k
(don't worry we are reaching the end so you don't have to help me for a couple of years)
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

your ghost host wrote:so now I have a couple desicions to make
1. to buy a christy's or a federation
2. then If I go with a federation do I get deluxe or regular
am I right?
now whats your guys opinion :-k
(don't worry we are reaching the end so you don't have to help me for a couple of years)
I have a Fed IV Regular which I am quite happy with. From the pictures I've seen of the Fed Dlx, the felt does look nicer and I understand it has a nicer sweatband. I'm perfectly satisfied with my Fed IV, but if you have the cash, I would say go for the Dlx.

As far as choosing between the two.....I guess it would really come down to how and where you're going to be using the hat. I mean, I bought my Christy's with the understanding that I wouldn't really be able to get it wet. The Fed IV has a shorter crown and a smaller brim.....although you can adjust both of these on a Christy's hat. Then there's also how you want to bash it. My Christy's is bashed in sort of a hybrid between LC and Raiders. Tighter pinch in the front, no turn, retaining the "swoop" in the back ala LC. The Christy's, IMHO doesn't pull off the Raiders look as well as the Fed, especially when looking at it from rear angles.

Now, if you're not looking for 100% screen accuracy (I was not, for the record) than this might not be a concern.
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Well I am one of thoose weird people that randomly where the entire costume as everyday clothes :oops:
so I guess I am looking for everyday use durability
and as for SA I would want the most SA as possible for the money so I am leaning twords the christy's :D
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Texan Scott wrote:If you go the Christy, you can customize it by sending an email to the CS rep. In the past, I have asked them to move the ribbon down so it covers the sweatband stitches, cut down the brim to 2 7/8" front to back by 2 5/8" side to side (some prefer 2 3/4" inches front to back and 2 1/2" side to side). The back brim of the Christy is also curled quite a bit, when you receive it from them, and I've asked them to straighten it out.

For $100, the Fed. Heritage is in reach, or as some have said, with a little more 'deferred gratification', the custom hats are within groping distance. :P
Does anybody know if costumizieing is worth more money?
and if so how much?
:-k
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

your ghost host wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:If you go the Christy, you can customize it by sending an email to the CS rep. In the past, I have asked them to move the ribbon down so it covers the sweatband stitches, cut down the brim to 2 7/8" front to back by 2 5/8" side to side (some prefer 2 3/4" inches front to back and 2 1/2" side to side). The back brim of the Christy is also curled quite a bit, when you receive it from them, and I've asked them to straighten it out.

and if so how much?
When I inquired, they didn't say anything about additional charges. Just email the folks at Hornets Hats, they're very cordial.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

your ghost host wrote:

and if so how much?
...you don't have to pay extra for it.
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

ok thanks guys :TOH:
I am should be getting this soon [-o< (but don't hold your breath :roll: )