The 'Streets Of Cairo' Hat Display Page

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: The 'Streets Of Cairo' Hat Display Page

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thanks Eric. But thats the thing, I can't stand to have my hats dirty. I just wear them, and whenever they need it, I brush them. That was the first time I ever intentionally dirtied up a hat. I like how it looks but I can't wear out. I would like to break it in more. The truth is that my Penman gets more wear than my ABs do. But, both have begun developing that bulge on the right side, just over the ribbon. I came up with a way to do, It will just take a but more of playing with it to get it how I want it. That crease, by the way was done in about two minutes. I popped out the CS crease Steve had put in and just turned and recreased. These things are like clay!

Dave
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

Well there WAS a post on Holts hat off his head a minute ago. What happend?
Last edited by Venky on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thanx but I pulled it... I have an idea how to show it of without my head in it.

wait for it ;)
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

Waiting.... 8-[]
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Vaderbreath wrote:Image

...right out of the box? :-k
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

well here is my 'screen used' fedora. :P ;)

I figured if I was to take some pictures of the hat when it is not sitting on my head, I just aswell could do it with some style ;)

what do you think?

Last edited by Holt on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

Put it back on your head...HURRY!!

....before I steal it!.. :lol:

That is such a different beast when it is not on your head. show what it takes to really break it in.

I would of never guessed that is the same hat that was on your head. Incredible. :shock:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

would you ever guess that it is just a fed 4 :lol:

this one goes on top of my mannequin someday..hopefully it wont be to long before i get that dang dummy!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Canyon wrote:
I liked the hat, the artifacts, the location and the girl.
LLS
Careful! Chewie might get jealous! :P

Lemme at 'im! Image

I don't have a Streets of Cairo hat to share. So, I'll help Canyon out with another view of her hat. :D

Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
Canyon wrote:
LLS

Lemme at 'im! Image

I don't have a Streets of Cairo hat to share. So, I'll help Canyon out with another view of her hat. :D

That is just great!

I give Canyon an A+ for creativity.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Canyon, your shots are always great. You bring alot of fun to these threads!

Hey, I think I cracked the code for achieving that bulge in the felt so unique to the Cairo hat. I don't have time to show a picture of it right now, but I'll get one up here hopefully tomorrow. I can't possibly be the first one to figure this out. It's not for the faint of heart! :-0

But, it worked for me.

Weston
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Mine isn't the perfect SOC hat, but it's my own version. I don't want the hat to look as beat up as his, but I want it to have the same feel. Anyway, here's the hat on its own, and then me wearing it! It almost looks like it's turned the wrong way! :-k It's not, but the curling on the brim makes it pretty resistant to moving into the position it should be in.

Shane
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I think it looks great, Shane. It definately eminates a SoC feel. And what I like best about your hat is that it looks good on you. You didn't go with Ford's specs, you went with what looks good on you. This is key to any hat looking right on someone.

Dave
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Thanks a lot, Doc!! :TOH: :oops:

I definitely deviated from the screen accuracy to make it look the way I liked it and how I thought looked good on me. But SA specs just look silly on me. :P

Shane
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

Looks great Shane. As long as you're happy, that is all that matters. :)
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Your hat looks great Shane! It looks like your hat, not like you borrowed someone elses. I see a blend of Raiders and Crystal hats in that one. Excellent!

Weston
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Thanks guys!!

Weston - Really? I've never heard that before! Where do you see CS? :-k

Shane
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I'm see it here.

The shape of the crown looks very much alike to me, especially in your first pic.

Weston
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

The hat looks great Shane. The walls do too.
Who's brand of shirt are you wearing. I like that color a lot.

C
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Weston - Ahaaa! I see that, definitely. Maybe my hat was a sign of things to come! It's an old rabbit AB, from before the Indy IV deal.

Chris - Thanks a lot! The walls are just how my room looks...! It's a fun background though, for sure. :lol: The shirt is a first generation Todd's shirt. The new shirts are slightly more pink, and a little larger (which I don't like since I wear a size "Nurhachi").

Shane
][ndy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ][ndy »

Thanks for those pictures, Mr. Holt. You really can see how done (distressed) the hat actually is. I am just wondering, why your Fed4 is shifting towards red, while mine is just dark brown. Maybe they changed the fur.

@McFly: That is a nice hat and it suits you very well!

@Chewbacca Jones: That picture really made me laugh. Very well done!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Shane, that hat suits you to a tee! You really make the gear your own. Now what the heck is hanging off of the side of your MK VII bag? :-k

Travis
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Weston wrote:Canyon, your shots are always great. You bring alot of fun to these threads!

Hey, I think I cracked the code for achieving that bulge in the felt so unique to the Cairo hat. I don't have time to show a picture of it right now, but I'll get one up here hopefully tomorrow. I can't possibly be the first one to figure this out. It's not for the faint of heart! :-0

But, it worked for me.

Weston
Ill allready cracked that code.. it wasnt too hard. but I want to hear what you have come up with.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

thelivingforce wrote: That is just great!

Actually, Curator Rick should get that A+ since he built that photo op for the Finger Lakes Summit. ;)
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

The red lines shows the ribbon, the green one is the top of the brim. You can see, that the ribbon slid up quite a bit.
Yes, plus if you compare that side of the hat to the other, you can tell the crown appears shorter on the side where the ribbon has slid upwards. So, the ribbon is slid up, on only one side of this hat. Later on, it is slid up on the front of the hat, and gradually comes back down as it goes around the hat. So, the ribbon seems to be secured only at the bow positon, that is, where the bow is tacked down to the felt.

You only see this on the SOC hat, as best as I can recall. My point again is, someone took those retaining stitches out of the bow, for SOME reason. They just don't come out by themselves. Plus on some high resolution photos, you can see what looks to be the top of the sweatband, about halfway up, from the bottom of the ribbon.(an imprint of it). Now, sweats don't generally come this narrow, so it looks like the sweatband was actually cut down, in height, for some reason. And that may help explain the dent you see on the left side of the front crease, where it looks to go under the ribbon. A sweatband that is 1 1/2 inches wide would push this dent out, but it is seen clearly, which makes me think again that the sweat had been cut down. Fedora
][ndy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ][ndy »

Fedora wrote: Now, sweats don't generally come this narrow, so it looks like the sweatband was actually cut down, in height, for some reason. And that may help explain the dent you see on the left side of the front crease, where it looks to go under the ribbon. A sweatband that is 1 1/2 inches wide would push this dent out, but it is seen clearly, which makes me think again that the sweat had been cut down. Fedora
Cut down, or, as some people think, just folded.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
Canyon wrote:
LLS

Lemme at 'im! Image

Hey, thanks Chewie! :mrgreen:

thelivingforce wrote:That is just great!

Weston wrote:Canyon, your shots are always great. You bring alot of fun to these threads!

Why, thank you! :oops:

binkmeisterRick wrote:Actually, Curator Rick should get that A+ since he built that photo op for the Finger Lakes Summit. ;)
I would just like to let it be known that I was not about to take credit for the set up. I actually thought that thelivingforce was referring to my hat.
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
thelivingforce wrote: That is just great!

Actually, Curator Rick should get that A+ since he built that photo op for the Finger Lakes Summit. ;)

OOPS! my bad, thanks for the correction. Then, credit is given where credit is due. :)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Did some more work on the AB and snapped off a couple photos. I defined the bulge over the left side of the ribbon and got the hat to start mushrooming on the right side. I also deepened the channel that runs under the ribbon but the light washed it out.

Here is one outside, in natural lighting.

Outside, on my head.

I took a page out of Holt's book and put the hat under a light for these.

Dave
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

:tup: Very nice! Lookin great, Doc! I really like that first shot - the camel humps are fantastic there. And the pinch looks good, too!

Shane
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thanks Shane. Rabbit would obviously be easier to work with, but, like Holt has proven that a Federation can get it done, I guess this proves that beaver can make a good SoC hat.

Dave
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

very nice Dave! a real improvement. I see you have worked on the pinch too.
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Snapbrim76 »

I have to agree with Holt, the pinch is great - I like the way it's not tight all the way to the ribbon. I do the same with mine, it had to be right for me, SA is less important than looking good for the wearer.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Here is my method for getting the crown distortions right for a Cairo hat. I'm sure it's similar to what everyone else is doing so this isn't exactly a breakthrough, but if it helps somebody here to see it done then I'm happy. We all know the story about how the Raiders hat was sat on in the distressing process, and that is what helped to give it the character we all know and love. But, you could sit on a million different fedoras a million different times and never get the exact same effect.

I'm demonstrating this on my other fedora that I recently reblocked. What I do is pop the crown out, spread my fingers out an place my finger tips about 2/3 into the crown, with the sweat band against my palm. Then, I close my left hand on the sweat band, crushing the felt while pressing down with my right hand from the outside of the crown. Like so:

You have to put a lot of pressure on the felt for it to give, and bulge like it does on the Cairo hat. You can't be afraid to wreck the hat or it will not work. This is the best method I know of for getting a really great profile.
Before:

After:

Before:

After

Spend some time adjusting it and you should be able to get the profile exactly the way you want it. It was pretty cloudy today so there isn't alot of contrast in my pictures, but I hope this was helpful to some of you.

Weston
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Holt, thank you very much. I really beat the snot out of that hat last night to get it to look like that. And believe it or not, I didn't touch the pinch. It is the same as it was in the first photos. What changed was the lighting. The right lighting makes things better. Those pictures under the light, like you suggested, really worked to show off the pinch, so thanks!

Snapbrim, you know, I see a lot of guys on here that have the pinch run razor sharp all the way down to the ribbon and I just don't see that in Raiders. I think there is one scene like that, but the rest have a sort of upside down"Y" look. The SoC hat definately does not have the pinch run down all the way to the ribbon. In fact, it is lopsided and uneven. Personally, I don't care for a razor sharp pinch. It puts unecessary stress on the hat. I like a nice pinch, but just not as tight as we see most guys on here.

Dave
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Snapbrim76 »

Thanks Doc. I know what you mean. Besides there's something so unnatural about a new looking hat with s razor sharp pinch.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

oh.. well there you go ;)

see how much lighting makes a difference.

anyway it looks good. what I love about the soc hat is the uneven and sloppy pinch and that bumb on the side. that makes the hat stand ut from the rest...it looks just so cool.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

There is something about that hat that is unexplainable. Its almost like the hat is alive and have its own personality. Thats why this is my favorite hat in the series.

Dave
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

DR Ulloa wrote:There is something about that hat that is unexplainable. Its almost like the hat is alive and have its own personality. Thats why this is my favorite hat in the series.

Dave
well said. :tup:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

DR Ulloa wrote: Image

You see that? Even flowers look good in a hat! :lol:
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Snapbrim76 »

Yes Doc and Holt, I know exactly what you mean about the unique mushroom effect on the right side and the pinch has character as if natural. I'm trying to get my fed 4 dlx into that shape but I refuse to put fillers earth on it. However you know I think your SoC hat is legenary. Holt I admire your eye for SA :notworthy: Doc yours is more my style for wearing out in the street :notworthy:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thanks Snapbrim. That is exactly what I want. I like SA, but the hat needs to suit me. I wear a hat every day and this one is in rotation, so it needs to be SW, street wearable.

Dave
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

These were taken of me today at work. I put a post in the scrapbook section about it. This is my Cairo hat I made a few months back. The sweat marks on the front are real. It was a hot day. Had a ball.

This hat is holding up well. I do not have a sweatband or a liner in this hat. Never over heated. :tup:

LLS

P.S. Note the screen accurate short yolk on the safety vest back. Screen grabs, people. Screen grabs. :D :lol:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

oh.. very,very nice!

I love the top middle shot.

can I have it? :P
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

[quote][Cut down, or, as some people think, just folded/quote]

I can't buy into the folded theory. His hat would have to be a couple sizes too large to do so, and still fit. Rabbit tends to shrink, not expand, so..... :D

If what I am seeing is the top of the sweat, that sweatband is only about an inch wide. Not common in hats, that I have seen. If the ribbon is 1 1/2 inches wide, and the sweat is the same width, it would come to almost the top of the ribbon, and that dent we see on the left side of the hat, would be pushed out by the sweatband. The makes me think the sweat was cut down in height for some reason. Could have been, the sweat shrunk up, and the top was whacked off so as not to give Ford a headache. :lol: Fedora
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Fedora wrote:
[Cut down, or, as some people think, just folded/quote]

I can't buy into the folded theory. His hat would have to be a couple sizes too large to do so, and still fit. Rabbit tends to shrink, not expand, so..... :D

If what I am seeing is the top of the sweat, that sweatband is only about an inch wide. Not common in hats, that I have seen. If the ribbon is 1 1/2 inches wide, and the sweat is the same width, it would come to almost the top of the ribbon, and that dent we see on the left side of the hat, would be pushed out by the sweatband. The makes me think the sweat was cut down in height for some reason. Could have been, the sweat shrunk up, and the top was whacked off so as not to give Ford a headache. :lol: Fedora

Could it be the sweatband stitches showing up?
][ndy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ][ndy »

Fedora wrote: I can't buy into the folded theory. His hat would have to be a couple sizes too large to do so, and still fit. Rabbit tends to shrink, not expand, so..... :D

Well, you are the expert on this hat and on the different types of felt :TOH:
However a really tight fit (e.g. b/c of the folded sweatband) would explain the overall look of the SOC hat.
On the other hand, it would be possible, that they cut down the sweatband and also cut out the liner. Must have been hot there.

Because we are taking this thread a bit off topic, some pictures of my first try on an SOC look. Please excuse the very bad quality of the pictures, I had to use my cellphone camera:

Image Image Image

btw. if you notice the little bulge in the ribbon, it is just my fat head :oops:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

good first effort :tup: . but let me just say there is way to much turn in the hat. the bow is almost at the front.

what you can do is take of the ribbon and bow and replace it.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I love how that felt is bulgin over the ribbon and the ribbon iteself is bulging out. Very nice!

If I can make an observation, though, I think you need to push your side creases back a tad. They don't seem long enough. Doing so would even give the hat a boxier look.

Dave
][ndy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ][ndy »

Indiana Holt wrote:good first effort :tup: . but let me just say there is way to much turn in the hat. the bow is almost at the front.

what you can do is take of the ribbon and bow and replace it.
Thanks for the tip. I already replaced that bow to get a more raiders like look on that, but never thought of putting it further back.
I know there is a little to much turn, but only this way I could achieve the desired look on the brim.

DR Ulloa wrote:I love how that felt is bulgin over the ribbon and the ribbon iteself is bulging out. Very nice!

If I can make an observation, though, I think you need to push your side creases back a tad. They don't seem long enough. Doing so would even give the hat a boxier look.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I always had problems in getting the side dents right. Maybe your advise will help.