Hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

sallah4
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Hat

Post by sallah4 »

I have a question about my hat. When I am outside doing something and the wind is blowing the brim of my hat tends to blow upwards. How can I fix this?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Hat

Post by BendingOak »

sallah4 wrote:I have a question about my hat. When I am outside doing something and the wind is blowing the brim of my hat tends to blow upwards. How can I fix this?

I'm not sure what you are talking about. :-k
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Look down. ;) Your other option is to PM God and ask him to stop the wind for you before you go out. Otherwise, you need a stiffer hat, bro!

Shane
sallah4
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sallah4 »

The brim of my hat is floppy and when the wind blows it flops up.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

sallah4 wrote:The brim of my hat is floppy and when the wind blows it flops up.

Do you have any idea how many people here would love to have that problem with their own Raiders hat?
sallah4
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sallah4 »

Why would they want that problem? I think it is annoying.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Floppy is synonymous with "totally freakin' awesome" around here. ;)

Travis
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, considering the alternative to what you're experiencing would be to have your hat blow off your head rather than the brim giving instead, I always 'opt' for the former.

You can have more stiffner applied to the brim to make it stiff as a board if you want, but believe me, you're actually in a better situation with a loose brim. Seriously, one good stiff wind and your hat will be gone, as the more stiffner you add to make it not move, you create a 'wing', and it will fly.

Been there, done that, don't like chasing hats down the street.....

Regards! Michaelson
sallah4
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sallah4 »

I guess that settles that.
Montana Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Montana Jones »

McFly wrote:Look down. ;) Your other option is to PM God and ask him to stop the wind for you before you go out. Otherwise, you need a stiffer hat, bro!

Shane
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Shane, you're crazy man!

Yes, a floppy hat is generally preferred around these parts and having a floppy hat has some advantages as Michaelson pointed out (psst, his words are always to be considered; he knows things) but it is your hat and if you want it stiffer well then that is up to you. You can always purchase some stiffner and apply some to the hat but as I am yet another fellow who prefers to have his brim flappin' all over the place I am afraid that I cannot point you in a good direction. I am sure that one of the hatters here could though. ;)

Regards to all,
Hollis
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Step 1: Watch Raiders again. Watch how Indy's brim is floppy and waves in the breeze.

Step 2: Be thankful that your hat does what most people want their hat to do. ;) :lol:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Floppiness is a vertue! :tup:

Floppiness with contentment is great gain! :lol:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

If it gets too annoying, and you don't want it to be stiff, due to the wind taking it away, you could always just cut it off. Just leave it an inch long so it keeps
water out of your eyes. :lol: I apologize. It's just when I first read the post, I thought you were trying to kid us. But, it wasn't April Fools day. :D

Personally, I love floppy. But, I hate chasing hats at my age. Stiff brims do make great frisbies though. They really sail. Fedora
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

sallah4 wrote:I guess that settles that.
Well, not quite. While a floppy brim can save you from having your hat fly off, for some, it's just not acceptable. To can buy spray-on hat stiffener, and applied lightly you might be lucky enough to make the brim just stiff enough to remain down until just before the hat would take flight. Oh, this will help; [-o<
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Fedora wrote:...you could always just cut it off. Just leave it an inch long so it keeps water out of your eyes. :lol:
:rolling: This cracks me up to no end, even though you're only kidding! Heck, beter yet, cut the whole brim off and make it a fez! :lol:

The felt, er, grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it? ;)
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Fedora wrote:...you could always just cut it off. Just leave it an inch long so it keeps water out of your eyes. :lol:
:rolling: This cracks me up to no end, even though you're only kidding! Heck, beter yet, cut the whole brim off and make it a fez! :lol:
:rolling: A fez! haha

Your hat has a "snap" brim? I have a wool hat that is "normally" up, I like to wear it down but with the marvelous wind it went up again.... the hat has a "medium" stiffness...
What I did was to add a little steam in the brim and put it the way I like and so far that's how it remains...

Regards,
-Alfonso
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Montana Jones wrote:
McFly wrote:Look down. ;) Your other option is to PM God and ask him to stop the wind for you before you go out. Otherwise, you need a stiffer hat, bro!
:rolling: Shane, you're crazy man!
:TOH: ;)

Thanks, Hollis!

Shane
Blackthorn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Blackthorn »

sallah4 wrote:I guess that settles that.
Or you could just sell it at a premium to one of these guys who would dearly love to have a hat like that and buy a Fed IV in Heritage grade felt (very stiff) and still have money left over. :TOH:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

The thing about some of the hats I have bought over the years with stiff brims is the wind did me a favor when it blew it away. So, if you have a hat that you really don't like, DON'T chase it the next time. Just see it as 'providence".

In a more serious vein, there is a place for stiff brimmed hats. They make great rain hats. The brims can get wet and still shed water without flopping down into the eyes.

If you ever do apply stiffener to your brims, apply the stiffener, and directly put the hat on. Then, when the shellac sets, it will "set" to your own particular head shape. Soft hats are self conforming, that is, they move to match your head shape. Stiff hats won't do that, without at least heating up the brim, and then wearing the hat until the brim cools. The brims, stiffer ones, define the shape of the hole where your head goes.

I love floppy hats, but not too floppy. I do like the creases to stay in the hat, so I don't constantly have to look in a reflector to see if my hat is still creased ok. I bought 3 Optimos way back, at 400 bucks a pop, and the felt was so soft the hat would change creases if a falling leaf hit it. Now, that's TOO SOFT! IF you want to look cool and not clownish. One day I left home with the hat looking like Indy. To arrive at my destination looking like Norton from the Honeymooners. Fedora
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

I wore my soft brimmed AB Deluxe to the windy Grand Canyon this past weekend. I was hoping that the wind would flop the brim, but it didn't really. I was cautious when the wind really kicked up, as I didn't fancy falling off the edge and tumbling down a mile or so after such a fine hat. I was glad that the brim was soft, but it just didn't flex like I thought it would. Now my 3.5" brimmed Tilley T2 would sure have.