The 'Streets Of Cairo' Hat Display Page

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: The 'Streets Of Cairo' Hat Display Page

Post by fedoraiders »

Fedora wrote:
Both you and fedoraraiders did outstanding jobs on creating your hats. My hat goes off to the both of you. I thought your hat nudged his out by just a little bit. But both are great.

It looks like you both spent many hours refining your hats. And this is what Indy Gear is all about! Both of you guys really are impressive. Fedora
Thank you very much Fedora!

I appreciate this compliment very much!

Fedoraiders
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Thank you Fedora. really appreciate your words.

what I find funny is that many, many people say that the Fed cant do it..

of course.. a AB with the same amount of work and TLC would probably make this hat fade away.. but still I am pretty impressed with the Fed...
I just call em' as I see em'. That used to get me into trouble!! :lol:

I think you can take several brands of hats, and with your eye and your skills, you could pull it off with these brands. In no way does your hat look like a stock Federation, but your hard work just shows what can be done. Now granted, the Federation isn't a real tapered hat to begin with, so you had in place a good starting point for what you did. The fact is, some hats just are easier to work with, in getting that look. You proved to everyone that the Federation makes a killer SOC fedora. Since me and a couple other guys here, helped come up with the original Federation, and I sent Ron a CS hat to use for the Federation 4, it is gratifying to me personally to know that in a small way I had something to do with the Federations, and their ability to look very Indyish. At least in the choice of blocks used by Akubra. Ron Lilburne did all of the work, visiting Akubra, looking at their blocks, and picking the one he did, to help us out here. His work paid off, and you proved it. Again, fantastic SOC fedora, and you have set the bar really high for your competitors. It will be very hard to outdo you!! I don't think you will see any hatters trying to one up ya! We just don't have the time to spend on one single hat, and I can tell, you spent alot of time with that hat, as did fedoraraiders. I think your hat will always be the best and most accurate SOC outside of the film hat. You might want to offer this service to other fans, and specialize in the SOC fedora. You could use the Akubra as your clay. Either buy them outright and charge for the whole hat, or have folks buy a new one and send them to you, for a fee for your work. Your work is certainly worth at least a hundred dollar bill, IMO. And the best of luck!! Steve
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

Hello Guys! This is a another of my SOC hats, I use this one for my home work, this hat is very use but i like the shape.

Fedoraiders

ImageImage
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Indiana Holt wrote:its a size 58

the sides are 2.5'' maby 1mm less.
the front brim is 3''
the crown heigth is is 5'' at the top on the front pinch.

I would have never guessed that the difference in dim. were a half an inch nor that it was creased so high. It works for you.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Fedora wrote:
Thank you Fedora. really appreciate your words.

what I find funny is that many, many people say that the Fed cant do it..

of course.. a AB with the same amount of work and TLC would probably make this hat fade away.. but still I am pretty impressed with the Fed...
I just call em' as I see em'. That used to get me into trouble!! :lol:

I think you can take several brands of hats, and with your eye and your skills, you could pull it off with these brands. In no way does your hat look like a stock Federation, but your hard work just shows what can be done. Now granted, the Federation isn't a real tapered hat to begin with, so you had in place a good starting point for what you did. The fact is, some hats just are easier to work with, in getting that look. You proved to everyone that the Federation makes a killer SOC fedora. Since me and a couple other guys here, helped come up with the original Federation, and I sent Ron a CS hat to use for the Federation 4, it is gratifying to me personally to know that in a small way I had something to do with the Federations, and their ability to look very Indyish. At least in the choice of blocks used by Akubra. Ron Lilburne did all of the work, visiting Akubra, looking at their blocks, and picking the one he did, to help us out here. His work paid off, and you proved it. Again, fantastic SOC fedora, and you have set the bar really high for your competitors. It will be very hard to outdo you!! I don't think you will see any hatters trying to one up ya! We just don't have the time to spend on one single hat, and I can tell, you spent alot of time with that hat, as did fedoraraiders. I think your hat will always be the best and most accurate SOC outside of the film hat. You might want to offer this service to other fans, and specialize in the SOC fedora. You could use the Akubra as your clay. Either buy them outright and charge for the whole hat, or have folks buy a new one and send them to you, for a fee for your work. Your work is certainly worth at least a hundred dollar bill, IMO. And the best of luck!! Steve

wow... Im speechless......
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

You might want to offer this service to other fans, and specialize in the SOC fedora. You could use the Akubra as your clay. Either buy them outright and charge for the whole hat, or have folks buy a new one and send them to you, for a fee for your work. Your work is certainly worth at least a hundred dollar bill, IMO. And the best of luck!! Steve
the thing is..It could only be a 58.. cuz most of my work is done when I put the hat on and then style it..
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Would the cooties come free, Holt? :lol: ;)
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

fedoraiders wrote:Hello Guys! This is a another of my SOC hats, I use this one for my home work, this hat is very use but i like the shape.

Fedoraiders

ImageImage
Freaking CLASSIC!!!
Here's you're next teaser poster, boys! Indy's married, has a kid, house, yard.... listens to James Taylor.
Indiana Jones and the Curse of Domestication.

Great hat, by the way! All of yours, really.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Would the cooties come free, Holt? :lol: ;)

No..way.. Holt cooties?.. thats gotto be worth something..its like an autograph but better. ;) :lol:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Here's my SOC, it's a HJ that was re-blocked long time ago by Steve. Purchased from a member here. It's one of my favorites, but I say that about all my lids. :lol:
Croft :mrgreen:

Here it tiz...........
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

Indiana Croft wrote:Here's my SOC, it's a HJ that was re-blocked long time ago by Steve. Purchased from a member here. It's one of my favorites, but I say that about all my lids. :lol:

Here it tiz...........
WOW....Now I know what Beau Bridges would look like if he ever bought an Indy hat :-k
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

Still working on mine, here is where it is at so far. Again this is my Christys reblocked by Steve on his vintage hat block

Need more work on the brim and finish it off with correct markings of fullers earth.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

would have never guessed that the difference in dim. were a half an inch nor that it was creased so high. It works for you.
That is what is surprising me too! But I think it may be the way he is measuring. I would probably come up with different numbers if I were doing the measuring. The drooped brim can be measured a couple of different ways. SO, I am not sure I would come up with those same measurements.
the thing is..It could only be a 58.. cuz most of my work is done when I put the hat on and then style it..
You might want to offer this service to other fans, and specialize in the SOC fedora. You could use the Akubra as your clay. Either buy them outright and charge for the whole hat, or have folks buy a new one and send them to you, for a fee for your work. Your work is certainly worth at least a hundred dollar bill, IMO. And the best of luck!! Steve

Well, that's the way I started out. Reblocking hats to my own blockshape, IF you wore my size, a 7 1/4. Lots of folks wear that hat size.

Holt, what were the specs on the Federation, BEFORE you cut it down? And this was a federation 4-right? Reason I ask is because I thought the Fed 4 came with a 2 3/4 by 2 1/2 brim. So is the extra length of the front coming from the relaxed brim break, with the ribbon slid up? Hard to get accurate measurments when the brim break is relaxed, as you generally measure from the brim break, that is crisp. And of course, this one isn't, per the SOC hat.

Also, when you measured the front height, did you measure from the bottom of the ribbon to the top, or from where you percieved the old brim break to be, on the front? Since your brim break is relaxed, that might be what is throwing me off. Your hat looks to be just a small amount, taller than the film hat, but not by enough to throw off the total look you came up with.

Seeing your work, and fedoraraiders work has really made me excited about this SOC fedora. The side to side pic with Indy is what did it. The proof is right there.

Understand my fellow fans, the SOC hat is a departure from most of the other hats in this film. It is totally different in its looks, from a hatters veiwpoint. It has always fascinated me, in what D.N. did to get this look. Compared to other hats in the film, if I did not know better, I would say it was a completely different hat. Just the look of the brim makes me think that, and then you add the bulging crown on this hat, and you get a totally different look compared with many of the other Raider fedoras. At one time, many thought the sweatband had been taken out, and the ribbon cinched up tight to make the hat fit, sans sweatband. So many theories out there, over time.

But you took a stock hat, with sweat still in, and still came up with the best SOC hat, I have ever seen, here on COW. And on the high resolution pics I have seen of this hat, the film hat, I can clearly see where the sweatband ends, under the ribbon, but it looks to be cut down in height, given the ribbon is 39 mm, and it is well below the top of the ribbon. I can even see on those pics, the hi resolution ones, where the stitches are located, hold in the sweat. Well, above the brim break, or at least where it used to be.

No doubt, if you took a great rabbit felt, like some vintage felt, and just wore it, and got the brim wet somewhere along the way, this look could happen, naturally, over time. But, the felt would have to be the kind that would bulge. See, most felts, won't bulge like that. I have only seen a couple of examples that would do it with alot of wear, and one was a vintage HJ I used to own. Another was a lower priced vintage hat, with real loosely felted felt.

Basically the SOC hat is what a well made hat is NOT SUPPOSED to do, i.e. relaxed brim break, and the bulging of the felt. Hatters try to make a hat that won't do this, traditionally speaking. It is ironic, to me. But, I know you probably spent alot of time working with this hat. So how long did it take you Holt? How many hours did you put into this hat? Is there a post here on COW where you went into details of exactly how you arrived at the final look?

That brim still have me in awe. The 3 by 2 1/2 cut really surprised me, no, shocked would be the word!! :lol: It looks so dead on, but IS NOT what Swales ever gave us as the brim dimensions. He has given us two, over the years, opposed to one another. Once he said it was 2 3/4 by 2 1/2, then another time, 2 7/8 by 2 5/8. Neither of which matches yours!! A variance of 1/2 inch between the front and the sides is a hard cut to make, on a new hat. Because of the transition points. Seems like it would make an extremely oblong brim shape. Perhaps Deborah, did some additional trims, who knows?

If you find the time, how about giving us a detailed account of what you did to the federation to arrive at your final look. I am sure there are many who would love to know. But, you have a skill that many of the fans here don't have. And that is much of what you came up with. Both you and fedoraraiders. Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Still working on mine, here is where it is at so far. Again this is my Christys reblocked by Steve on his vintage hat block
I think you are getting there. What is missing, is the bulging of the felt, that is essential on the SOC hat. Great profile shot, and it reminds me of other hats from the film, but if you can get a bugle on the back, that would help alot in pulling off the SOC hat.

Also, you wear a larger hat size than Ford, and that will enter into the equation. I think your sides are 2 1/2, but they sure look shorter than Holt's 2 1/2. I maxed out what I could get out of the Christy brim, but looks like, just from that front shot, you need just a bit more for your hat size. But, the angle is not the same as what Holt showed in the next to Indy comparison. So, that enters into this as well. Gotta compare apples to apples. Where you see under the brim, on the left(as viewed on the pic).

I don't know what LLS used for his brim specs, as he wears a larger sized hat too, but to me, he looks to have too much brim, for the crown height he used, at least on the left side. Could just be the angle he used when he snapped the pics too. Alot enters into this, when you are using pics. Fedora
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Fedora wrote: Holt, what were the specs on the Federation, BEFORE you cut it down? And this was a federation 4-right? So is the extra length of the front coming from the relaxed brim break, with the ribbon slid up? Hard to get accurate measurments when the brim break is relaxed, as you generally measure from the brim break, that is crisp. And of course, this one isn't, per the SOC hat. Reason I ask is because I thought the Fed 4 came with a 2 3/4 by 2 1/2 brim.

[/quote]

Right this is a stock fed4 deluxe. I dont remember the specs before cutting though.. its a while ago....when I measure the front brim I measure from the break were the sweatband stitches are.....I just measure again and its 3'' same is it when measuring from the stitches under the ribbon.maby I am measuring wrong but I thought we measured from the stitches? thats were my brim breaks....
when I lay the hat flat on the table and then measure I get the front brim at 2.75'' and the sides at 2.5''. maby this is correct...

these are a couple months old.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/ ... CF4118.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/ ... CF4117.jpg
Fedora wrote:Also, when you measured the front height, did you measure from the bottom of the ribbon to the top, or from where you percieved the old brim break to be, on the front?
I measure from the break/stitches and its 5''

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/ ... CF4121.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/ ... CF4119.jpg
Fedora wrote:So how long did it take you Holt? How many hours did you put into this hat? Is there a post here on COW where you went into details of exactly how you arrived at the final look?
I dont know.. I started working on this on and off since I got it last year... This picture here was taken right after when I got it last year..after some tweaking of course...

the hours I used in total.. I dunno?.. I dont count.. I just work with it as a hobby when I have nothing else to do..when I am bored and thats when I do my best work..when I am not having any presure and stress around me... but I used a few hours on it. ;)
Last edited by Holt on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

LF, not that I'm bashing your hat, here... :P but with the great re-block work that Steve did on your hat and with the current brim dimensions, I might be tempted to make it into a really well weathered Last Crusade hat??? JMHO, though.

It would be nice to see a really good distressed, battered and lived in LC?

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I would lay the hat flat on the table. The one looks like you are starting from the stitching and it's a bit up from where the brim break is. 2 3/4 by 2 1/2 makes more sense of what I was seeing.

Its hard for me to do all the things that the 2 of you guys have done. It would take me twice as much time to get a hat out making it look SA SOC. It would not be easy to sale a SOC distressed hat if someone didn't get their measurements right. Besides all that it was hard for me to send out that one hat I did special for Fox and I didn't go all out on it. Sending out a hat like that was to painful. Maybe after he gets it, and if he likes it, I might be able to do more with it but the time factor hurts. My times would double right away.
][ndy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ][ndy »

Indiana Holt wrote: [...]
when I lay the hat flat on the table and then measure I get the front brim at 2.75'' and the sides at 2.5''. maby this is correct...
[...]
I'm just curious, but when you are referring to the front brim, you mean the original front brim before you turned the hat and not the new, slightly turned front, right? Same with the sides, I suppose (as you measure from the ribon).
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Great looking hats, the effort shows in what you all are doing, I think there may be hope for my Fed IV someday. Keep 'em coming, good thread. :notworthy: :clap:

Regards.

Soup
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

I like very much your hat Indiana Holt and it's very interesting to see the measures.

I have just one commentary and it's not a bad comment. You know that i love your hat.

I think that the Federations are a front pinch too high. In 2007 and 2008, i bought 3 Federations and the front pinch was too high for a SOC style but i like the Federations, it's a real good hat.

I'm sure that the best high front pinch for a SOC is maximun 4 1/2 inch.

On the picture, it's when i bought my Federations. It's my Fed 3 Deluxe without reblock, Fed 4 Standard without reblock and the Indiana Jones picture to compare. These 2 hats had 5 inch front pinch.

Fedoraiders

Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Here's mine. I think these shots show what a huge difference a little dirt can make.

This is as much as I am willing to rough up this hat for now, though some more mashing of the crown would give it an even more accurate Cairo look. It actually works very well as Raven Bar hat.

Weston
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Snapbrim76 »

I love this thread. Who wants to start one showing their Venice Pier, clipper, CS train, idol grab etc.?
][ndy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ][ndy »

fedoraiders wrote: I'm sure that the best high front pinch for a SOC is maximun 4 1/2 inch.
I agree with you on this point. When I got my Fed4, I took a picture of the SOC hat and tryied to figure out, the different dimensions. As a constant, I used the ribbon.

The green line shows the height in the center of the hat. Given, that the ribbon is about 1.5" the hat would be about 4.5". Of course it is hard to tell from a picture.

And again, I can only say, that I believe you have to adjust the look to your own head. I would doubt, that Holts hat would look the same on you or me.
Last edited by ][ndy on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

Weston wrote:Here's mine. I think these shots show what a huge difference a little dirt can make.

This is as much as I am willing to rough up this hat for now, though some more mashing of the crown would give it an even more accurate Cairo look. It actually works very well as Raven Bar hat.

Weston
Hello Weston, i like very much your pictures and i like the high crown and high front pinch.

Fedoraiders
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

fedoraiders wrote:I like very much your hat Indiana Holt and it's very interesting to see the measures.

I have just one commentary and it's not a bad comment. You know that i love your hat.

I think that the Federations are a front pinch too high. In 2007 and 2008, i bought 3 Federations and the front pinch was too high for a SOC style but i like the Federations, it's a real good hat.

I'm sure that the best high front pinch for a SOC is maximun 4 1/2 inch.

On the picture, it's when i bought my Federations. It's my Fed 3 Deluxe without reblock, Fed 4 Standard without reblock and the Indiana Jones picture to compare. These 2 hats had 5 inch front pinch.

Fedoraiders

even though those hats are too high in the front, those
are some very nice, well bashed hats fedoraiders.
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

I am not wanting to sidetrack the convo on the Cairo pics, but since this has been brought up, I would like to post one of my old hat measurement pics. I was always curious about the final crown height of the Raiders hat. Back a few years ago, I did a series of screen grabs and measured. I started out by using a simple ratio. This Ratio was based on the accepted fact that the ribbon was 1.5" high. After that, I decided to input a rule on the screen grabs. Here is what I found for the Cairo hat:

Image Image

I used a "check" system by measuring the other know widths in the picture.
As far as the Cairo hat is concerned, you have to be careful since the ribbon is riding up from the brim break at certain spots on the hat. I came up that the front height woulbe between 4-1/4" to 4-1/2".The back was around 3-1/2".
I used the base of the ribbon as a reference. The other style hats are a bit different from this, but that is another hat for another thread. Real life results convinced me that these numbers are very close. A 1/2" is a lot in crown height and makes a lot of difference in the overall look of the hat. I sent many of these to Fedora back in thoise days. ;) I have a bunch of these. By the way, That vintage HJ of Fedora's did these numbers.

LLS

PS: 3THOU$ will recognize this ruler. He did something similar back in the day.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Great pictures, guys!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Does anyone like my picture? :CR:
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

Canyon wrote:Great pictures, guys!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I do!...um...which one?
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

The one that I posted near the bottom of page 1. :lol:
][ndy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ][ndy »

Canyon wrote:The one that I posted near the bottom of page 1. :lol:
I really like that picture. The brim seems a bit too wide for a SOC, but that ist just my opinion and beeing a n00b around here, that may not count.
What I really like is the hole setting and atmosphere that picture has. Since there is nothing comparable around my location, I have to photoshop myself in such a setting to get such a picture.

@Local Land Surveyor: That idea with the ruler is indeed very good. But we all have to consider, that the different lenses of the cameras used, are distorting the whole picture to some degree. Nevertheless, this are some nice pictures, that I can use for bashing my hat.
(btw I hope the mods around here don't care, that we are taking this thread a little off topic)
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

Canyon wrote:The one that I posted near the bottom of page 1. :lol:

Oh geez! The front of my brim MUST be too low to miss that post. :lol: Yes, I do like that pic. Very nice AB, Do you have a pic after it has been beaten up a bit?
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

There were other hat pics posted besides yours? I never noticed. ;) I need to go back through this thread and check. :TOH: :whip:

I liked the hat, the artifacts, the location and the girl. :tup: ........my wife said I could say that. :)

LLS
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

Texan Scott wrote:LF, not that I'm bashing your hat, here... :P but with the great re-block work that Steve did on your hat and with the current brim dimensions, I might be tempted to make it into a really well weathered Last Crusade hat??? JMHO, though.

None intended buddy, :lol: Funny thing is you mentioned in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42005

...what I am working on to achieve here. :TOH:

So Holt and/or Feforaraiders, what else would you resomend me doing to this ol' hat? :)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I think on your fed it has a good start.

sit on it. crumple it up to a ball.

take of the ribbon and shorten it so it gets a tighter look. do custom work on the bow. shrink the sweat band by a little so the hat sits thigter on you..

I would love to see alittle more turn. if you cant do that without throwing of the look with the bow the please break the right side brim up. pull down the front brim. do this when you have your right hand on the side brim and pull down the fron brim with your left. this will soften the brim up. and the break the front brim upwards. continue to do this lots of times...

from the side the back of the crown needs to be lower then the front. from the side it looks almost like an CS.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thelivingforce wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:LF, not that I'm bashing your hat, here... :P but with the great re-block work that Steve did on your hat and with the current brim dimensions, I might be tempted to make it into a really well weathered Last Crusade hat??? JMHO, though.

quote]
Ha! funny. I am busy making my other fed to look like this.. I will post it in some time.
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Snapbrim76 wrote:I love this thread. Who wants to start one showing their Venice Pier, clipper, CS train, idol grab etc.?
I'm happy the thread goes on so good..
Only for your fun: Now I know what feels Indy when his hat flyes away... I was in a high way on mountain (I don't know the english word for this), and my SOC fed4 (the one on the start of this thread), suddenly just FLIES AWAY from my head because of the strong wind flying in the void!!
this happened because my extreme and bad distressing made loose the sweatband... thing that I never do on another hat.. #-o
..with the only difference that my hat didn't appears on my feet, just like it does with Indy :(
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Snapbrim76 »

@steerpike, If your distressing made the sweatband loose, then I can only imagine you have a long oval head shape and the hat never properly fitted in the first place. Did you have a gap down the sides? I learnt this one the hard way too. Especially with fitted baseball caps, they always used to fit until the material loosened up and then it was too big.

I have a friend who had this problem. To begin with the hat was tight, front and back. But as it loosened up the hat seemed too big. People with long oval heads like myself need to make sure that the hat doesn't have a gap down the sides when it's new and stiff.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Indiana Croft wrote:
Here's my SOC, it's a HJ that was re-blocked long time ago by Steve. Purchased from a member here. It's one of my favorites, but I say that about all my lids.
Croft

Here it tiz...........

WOW....Now I know what Beau Bridges would look like if he ever bought an Indy hat
Beau Bridges.......???? you think I look like Beau Bridges. :shock: Wow thats a first, but thtanks just the same. :lol:

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Right this is a stock fed4 deluxe. I dont remember the specs before cutting though.. its a while ago....when I measure the front brim I measure from the break were the sweatband stitches are.....I just measure again and its 3'' same is it when measuring from the stitches under the ribbon.maby I am measuring wrong but I thought we measured from the stitches? thats were my brim breaks....

Yeah, I thought this might be how you were coming up with the 3 by 2 1/2 brim. I measure from the line, that is left when the brim is broke, or the 90 degree angle is put into the brim. In the act of distressing, it relaxes and it is hard to get an accurate measurement. But, as I can see, and thought I knew, the stock brim on the Federation 4 is basically 2 3/4 by 2 1/2, i.e. what we used on most of the CS hats.

To measure the front height of the pinch, I would place the ruler at the brim break in front, and measure straight up. I noticed your hat Holt, looked to be just a tad taller than Fords in that comparison pic you posted, so your extra height makes sense, but this is the only big variance that I could see, and your hat still looks great. I still say you have set the bar for the SOC hat.

I always had problems with the brims on the Raiders fedora supposedly being 2 5/8, but only because on many people, the 2 5/8 looks to be just too much brim. But then again, ALL of the hats in Raiders don't exactly match up, one to the other! I have seen one shot, behind the scenes of the opening scenes hat, where the brim looks huge. But, that is the only instance that I can personally see. But in some shots, the front and back brim just look to be more than 2 3/4, more like 2 7/8. But I do realize that hats in hand, seem to appear to look differently than hats we photograph. I really think it has to do with the lens, and the distance.

I just saw a program where they were studying the big foot film, and an expert was explaining how he was using the same sort of camera as the original was shot with, and how lens and such affect things. So, there is probably some of this going on too, when we try to use pictures, or a film to replicate anything.

But, with LLS's study, with the ruler, even with lens distortion, the ribbon would be distorted equally, so if you made the ruler match up to the 1 1/2 inch ribbon, this should null and void any distortion...that is, the ribbon would be distorted equally, so we should be able to get a good idea of the specs of the hat, within a certain parameter. Maybe plus or minus 1/8 or an inch. But 1/8 of an inch is more than you think when brims are concerned. That is, the small amount seems to magnify itself when the hat is on a head.

I don't know where I got this pic, below, or what scene it is from, but save it, and then enlarge it to see the details better. If you look on the left side of the hat as viewed, there seems to be around 1/4 an inch from the bottom of the ribbon on the left side, and the brim. As if the ribbon has slid up almost 1/4 an inch. Now, this would affect the perception on crown height. The slid up ribbon, makes the crown appear shorter, than it actually is. I think this is the most that we see the ribbon slide up, so what happened to the retaining stitches? Somewhere along the line, they got broke! And this does not generally happen. Looks as if someone worked on the hat, which may explain much of the SOC look.

Can everyone see the gap between the bottom of the ribbon and the top of the brim? Or are my eyes getting that bad? (have an eye exam this Friday, no joke)

I have enjoyed this thread the most, in a long, long time. This is what we used to do here, way back, and this is pure Indy Gear stuff!!! I am elated to see the interest reignited!!!

And, it is obvious we have some very talented guys here, with incredible creasing skills, and that tickles me to death. Especially when I just had to reship an Indy fedora back to a guy due to the box being crushed, and he was not capable of putting the creases back in the hat. Now, not making fun of the guy, because at one time, I was sorta like that too, maybe not as intimidated by recreasing a hat as he was, but still....and us hatters love to send hats to guys who have the confindence to recrease their hats. We don't have to worry about a crushed hat being sent back!! :D

I feel that if you are gonna take on wearing hats, your first item to learn is how to recrease the hat. Because, sooner or later, it is gonna need it. Unless the hat is so stiff that even getting hit by a truck won't knock out the creases. :lol: But with most Indy hats, you gotta learn how to recrease them, or rebash them. Harrison used to do his own, but these days, has a guy standing by to do it for him! Ah, fortune and glory. Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, but now he has a beaver hat vs. rabbit hats.....so it's harder for Ford to do it himself. [-(

I'll be in the car if you need me....:Plymouth:

Regards! Michaelson
][ndy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ][ndy »

I took a closer look on the picture Fedora posted.

The red lines shows the ribbon, the green one is the top of the brim. You can see, that the ribbon slid up quite a bit.

The blue lines, show some kind of edge. I am not sure, if this is because of the bad quality of the picture, but when I imagine the ribbon over that edge, I can see, why it bulges outside, the way It has been seen in a lot of SOC pictures.

edit: Maybe this helps to get an outline of the hat:

FordPerfect
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by FordPerfect »

My Raiders AB Henry -

My thanks to Marc for being such a consumate professional and furnishing me with this.
Would really appreciate some observations from the crew here, however, mainly regarding the crown height vs. my face - does it look oversized/too big? and can anybody help acheiving the swoop on the left hand side? I just can't seem to bash it in properly...
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Can everyone see the gap between the bottom of the ribbon and the top of the brim? Or are my eyes getting that bad? (have an eye exam this Friday, no joke)
Yes Steve. I clearly see it and have allways done...this is my next project on my hat.. I just cleaned the hat and took away the dusting. I want this look. I love the way the crown looks too.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Fordperfect. that hat is great on you , don't change a thing.

][indy,

I don't know how much stock you can put in that photo. It could be two things happing. The ribbon sliding up like you said and it could be the brim folded and making it look like the ribbon is higher than it is.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I cleaned out the hat today. cleaned out the liner aswell.. it had some stains.

this picture with flash and taken under a spot light. this illustrates the front pinch and the shadows around it in a more detailed way. bear in mind the angle is hard to get 100% right. but you get the idea. ;)

just for fun.

Last edited by Holt on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Indiana Holt wrote:I cleaned out the hat today. cleaned out the liner aswell.. it had some stains.

this picture with flash and taken under a spot light. this illustrates the front pinch and the shadows around it in a more detailed way. bear in mind the angle is hard to get 100% right. but you get the idea. ;)

Maybe thats what I'm doing wrong. Not spotlighting my hats. i take them outside and the crease job gets washed out a bit. I like what your doing holt. Your crease job is fantastic.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Thank you John! :D

yes standing under the spotligths makes a huge difference on the look.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I really love this thread. So much so, that I decided to turn one of my CS ABs into a SoC hat. Some of you may have seen it in the AB post 'em up thread. Well, the SoC has always been my favorite in the series so I figured "Its about time I have one!" I took some pictures in the back yard using the timer on my camera so please pardon the less than stellar pictures.

After taking these pictures I thought, "You know, it needs a little something else." And so I went against everything I believe in and went over and threw it in the sand and kicked it around. Everyone here knows how anti-artificial distressing I am but to pull off the SoC look, it needs it. So Here is the hat after that.

I quickly ran back inside and brushed the hat clean. So, there is my contriubution to this thread. Oh, by the way, Eric, I know I've said it before, but your Federation is awesome!

Dave
Last edited by DR Ulloa on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Local Land Surveyor wrote:

There were other hat pics posted besides yours? I never noticed. ;) I need to go back through this thread and check. :TOH: :whip:

I liked the hat, the artifacts, the location and the girl. :tup: ........my wife said I could say that. :)

LLS

Careful! Chewie might get jealous! :P

Here's a good shot of my AB. :mrgreen:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

very Nice Dave! cant wait to see this one more broken in and dirty. I would love to go at an Ab one day too and of cpurse a penman. :tup:

nice top bash Stella :D