My ultimate Indy fedora advice requested

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

You have a hypothetical $400 limit for your ultimate Indy hat, you....

a. Order a Penman Raiders in beaver and save $100.
37%
b. Spend it all, order a CS Adventurebilt.
63%

Total votes: 27

Mighty_Draw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

My ultimate Indy fedora advice requested

Post by Mighty_Draw »

After much internal debate I have decided to bring my question before the COW community. I would like to acquire one of the finer beaver fedora's offered by Penman or Adventurebilt. I had been leaning towards a Penman due to the lower price and from all accounts comparable quality and satisfied board members. I was waiting on selling some stuff not related to my bad(hat) buying habit, since I'm in College and do not have a steady income, and using the money I make from those sales would pay for the hat. I've recently sold said items and now have the funds. However now I'm taking in to account that Mr.Delk(Fedora) is going to raise his prices, August being the last month we can all take advantage of the older price, and has expressed a desire to retire. So I am now at the realization this is perhaps my last opportunity to own an authentic CS fedora made by the man himself at a price I can quantify in my mind. I am keeping in mind the lengthy wait time.

So perhaps I'll leave it to a poll to help me decide, and I would appreciate feedback.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: My ultimate Indy fedora advice requested

Post by gwyddion »

Ok, this was a tough one. Usually I don't believe in saving money on hats, because that usually means sacrificing some quality as well, but in this case the quality level is the same. So at first I would have voted for saving a few bucks. However, Steve's prices will be going up shortly, so ordering his grey CS (with the added bonus of being made by the guy who made them for the movie) now would also save you money :-k Yes, the wait time will be long, but then you have time to save up for that Penman and you can have both \:D/ So with this reasoning I voted for the CS AB train hat.

Regards, Geert
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

MD, the Penman hats I've seen in person are wonderful hats, no doubt, but if you've always wanted an AB and you have the money for it now, you may want to make that investment while you can. The provenance of knowing Steve made the hats for CS and that yours will match that is worth the money and the wait to many folks. Also, you need to decide what is more important to you, a quality hat to wear sooner than later, or a quality hat made by the man himself.
][ndy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ][ndy »

I would spend the money on an AB too.
(Almost) Everyone here wants to have a fedora, that was used in the movies. With the AB you really can have that (ok, the one you get was not actually used in the movie, but you get the idea).
Also, you will get a hat, that will last!
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

][ndy wrote: Also, you will get a hat, that will last!
Yes he would, but the same goes for the Penman ;)

Regards, Geert
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I find myself wearing my Penmam more than either of my ABs. Believe me, these two are the best hats that money can buy. There are nuance differences between them, but are getting identical quality, craftsmanship, and service (John spends more time with customers but Steve has almost no time for that and he still has excellent customer service).

Now, having said all that, though I wear my Penman more, I would go with the AB for one reason only and that is that Steve won't be making hats for very much longer. John will be around for a while. To be honest, I don't like my ABs because they were made by the same hands that made the film hats, I like them because they are one of the best hats around. So that puts Penman and AB at an even playing field for me. If I did care about who mde the hats, I'd own a few HJs too. I like quality and these two are the best. But John will be making hats after Steve has retired so get one of each, eventually. But the only way to do that is to grab the AB while you can.

Dave
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I really don't understand this. Coming from someone both Penmans and ABs, the quality and cratfsmanship is the same. the Penman is an AB with a different name. That isn't a knock at John, that's a compliment. There are nuance differences like how tight the ribbon is pulled and the pounce, but the quality and craftsman ship is identical. That is not a valid argument.

Dave
][ndy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ][ndy »

DR Ulloa wrote:
I really don't understand this. Coming from someone both Penmans and ABs, the quality and cratfsmanship is the same. the Penman is an AB with a different name. That isn't a knock at John, that's a compliment. There are nuance differences like how tight the ribbon is pulled and the pounce, but the quality and craftsman ship is identical. That is not a valid argument.

Dave
Right, this is an argument, that goes for both hats. It's just that catchy slogan "Made to measure. Built to last." ;)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I understand you now. I read that as saying that the AB will last and not the Penman.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

This should not be a tough one. Get on Steve's list. Buy a hat from him while you can. I own a few none CS and last year I placed an order for one hero CS and one Travel CS. He thought I was nuts but I told him I'm still a big fan of his work and I wanted a CS made from him. If I didn't place the order I would be kicking myself later if I didn't.
Mighty_Draw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mighty_Draw »

Thanks for the feedback guys, as I wrote that last night and read what I was writing I was hearing a voice, "Luke, go for the AB..." but I often hear Sir Alec Guinness speaking to me......... ;)

I would still love to eventually own a Penman Raiders, but it will have to wait till I'm done paying for school :-0 . BendingOak, you're not doing a really good job selling your hats here! :lol:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Mighty_Draw wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, as I wrote that last night and read what I was writing I was hearing a voice, "Luke, go for the AB..." but I often hear Sir Alec Guinness speaking to me......... ;)

I would still love to eventually own a Penman Raiders, but it will have to wait till I'm done paying for school :-0 . BendingOak, you're not doing a really good job selling your hats here! :lol:

believe it or not. I'm still a fan of this place and Indy gear. Sometimes people forget that fact with that Vendor label on me. I can no longer give my opinion without trying to sell something. I'm still a fan of Steve and Marc's work.
Mighty_Draw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mighty_Draw »

Oak, in every hat thread I've ever read you're a really stand up guy and I have never gotten the impression you are just hawking your product. Your expert incite is always valuable and honest. Thank you for chiming in on this thread!