FED IV Distressing

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

FED IV Distressing

Post by IndyGeek78 »

Right then. Newb question coming up.

I have (as the title obviuosly points out) a Fed IV. I'v ehad it about 7 months now maybe more. Love the hat even though it may not be totally SA.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a way to distress the hat without damaging it? I've heard about putting i in the tumble dryer with tennis balls but this worries me. Don't want to ruin my hat.

Just curious if any body has any tips or hints at how to make their FEd IV look naturall aged?

Many thanks

IG78
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: FED IV Distressing

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Um, wear it? :[ Honestly, that's the best way to distress any hat, in my opinion. Wear the tar out of it. Wear it in the hot sun. Wear it in rainstorms. Wear it while adventuring down dusty trails. Wear it playing tennis! :lol: If you're just trying to soften the felt more, you can massage the hat in your hands. (The hat might actually enjoy that. :P ) SOme people sit on them, smoosh them, kick them about. Some just dust 'em with Fuller's Earth. But me, I generally just wear 'em. :TOH:
IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyGeek78 »

Cheers Blink.

I guess it was kind of a stupid question really.

I was just curious. GUess I better get wearing it
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

:lol: No, it's not a stupid question, really. The only stupid questions are the ones never asked. And anything Jess says. :[ :lol:

I'm just giving you my personal preference on how I usually distress my own hats, though the "sit n' smoosh" method has been used by a number of folks around here. Are you just trying to soften the felt or are you trying to give the hat a "beat up" look?
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Not a stupid question at all. Take a look at the SOC bashing thread and you'll see plenty of people who have intentionally dirtied up their hats to look like the streets of cairo scene in Raiders. I have a hat that I've worn plenty, it's dirty and sweaty and has taken on that look. However, as you see in that thread especially, there are those who add fuller's earth, and beat the heck out of their hats to achieve that certain look.

It's all a matter of personal opinion. I have no need to have my hats look like certain scenes, or for that matter a particular movie. I like my fedoras, and I like the Indy type of bash. If over time it takes on a particular look, then that's fine. If you want it to look like it's been on many adventures then there are good methods for making it look that way without destroying the hat. Just my 2 cents! :)
IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyGeek78 »

Thanks guys.

Im just trying to get the hat to loook like it's been on many an adventure. I'm just very nervous about doing it for the first time obviously. Im scared I'll ruin my hat, obviously. Ill just take a look at the SOC guide. Thats the look I like.

By the way I've only just realised what SOC means. How lame is that :lol:
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

IndyGeek78 wrote:
By the way I've only just realised what SOC means. How lame is that :lol:
Well, everybody's got to learn that at one time or another, so not as lame as you might think ;)

Regards, Geert
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Yeah, SOC means "Socks Or Clogs," right? :[ ;)
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Yeah, SOC means "Socks Or Clogs," right? :[ ;)
:lol: It does where I live ;)

Regards, Geert
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

If by 'distress' you mean you want a temporary Cairo-dusty look and you cant get fullers earth I have found that sawdust does the job and brushes off fairly well.
IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyGeek78 »

Im not sure I actually want to make my hat look dusty at all really. I just want a kind of beat up look to it.

I've started slowly, to achieve this look.

My main worry though is if I smoosh it about too much that this will weaken the felt and possibly wear a hole in the felt. Any ideas if this would happen? :-k
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

No. Grabbing your hat by the pinch every time you reach for it might, but softening up the hat by massaging it or even sitting on it won't.

Dave
IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyGeek78 »

Excellent DR. \:D/

Im going to sit on it right now. I try to avoid grabbing it by the pinch as much as I can. Normally use the front and back brim.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Grabbing your hat by the brim will prolong its life. Good thinking.

Dave