Indiana Jones and the Legend of the Hatshop

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Indiana Jones and the Legend of the Hatshop

Post by Johnny Fedora »

“They don’t know what they’ve got there.” Jones said, frowning.

The woman beamed. “Well, I know what I’ve got here. Buy you a drink? You know. A drink.” Together they left the government building, descending broad granite stairs to the street below. A taxi waited at the curb.

“By the way,” Marion asked as she stepped into the car. “What happened to your favorite hat?”

“Oh, I left it on the boat. Katanga will send it when he can, along with whatever else we left in his cabin.”

A week later, Jones received word that his and Marion’s abandoned belongings had arrived. The professor smiled as he pried open the lid and faced a folded stack of unwashed shirts. He was halfway into the crate before he found what he was really looking for, a sweat-stained brown fedora.

Unceremoniously stuffed into the hat’s crown was a lady’s dress, once white. When he tossed the gown aside, a wad of something fell at his feet—a pierced gold disk wrapped in crumpled leaves of notepaper. On the innermost sheet, a note hurriedly scrawled: This trinket belongs to you, no? Have a care for yourself, Indy. The days are dangerous. And no bit of gold is worth your life. -K.

Turning the headpiece of the Staff of Ra over in his hand, Jones sighed aloud. “How true, my friend. You take care as well.”

The next day’s chores began with a visit to the hat makers. The old fedora required cleaning and blocking, and only one shop handled Jones’ orders. A small bell announced his opening of the door.

“Dr. Jones! Always a pleasure, sir. Good to see you looking so well. I trust you’ve been vacationing…in Florida? Now, how can we serve you today?”

Swales’ greetings always followed the same pattern. A cheerful hello, a compliment, a discrete inquiry into the professor’s much-rumored travels.

“Florida sounds nice. But I’ve never the time. Actually, Mr. Swales, it’s my hat again. The brown one,” he started.

“No, no. Not again. Didn’t we just clean-and-block, was it—last month?” Opening the hatbox Jones set on the counter, the hatter remonstrated with shakes of the head and a deliberately loud exhalation.

“Dr. Jones, Dr. Jones. Something tells me you’ve been adventuring again. More naked savages with blowguns? Perhaps a pack of Thugs is responsible for this?” Swales held out the battered hat.

Jones gazed thoughtfully at the hat, looked the hat maker in the eye and offered a plausible series of reasons. “Actually, there was a fire. A Nazi. Quite a few Nazis. Some snakes. And—” he pauses, rubbing his chin, “I had a run-in with a mirror. But I hardly remember that.”

“Well, I can clean and re-block your fedora. But I have to tell you that the block we’ve been using for your hat has suddenly gone missing. I took on a young apprentice. She was a university student I believe, a Miss Nadoolman. Anyway, now she’s taken off. And one block apparently disappeared with her. Strange when you think about it. With regular customers like yourself, Dr. Jones, we stamp a client’s name on their preferred hat blocks. Oddly enough, she took one of only two that were stamped with your name, leaving the other, older block. Now, what should we make of that?”

“I have no idea. Shame, you know. I really liked that look.”

“Well, I can use a similar block, the older one we used for your hat a year or so ago. Before that trip you made to—was it India, perhaps? I seem to remember a certain fondness you expressed for that fit.”

“That’ll be…just fine.” Settling for less was never comfortable for the professor. Neither was lying.

“I’ll replace the liner and sweatband with duplicates of the original brand, Herbert Johnson. We’ll have it ready by the end of the week,
Dr. Jones.”

“Excellent. As always.”

“And please try to keep from destroying the hat for a little while at least. You obviously have a fondness for this old fedora, worn as it is. But you must understand that rabbit has its limits, and I don’t know how many more times I can, ‘resurrect it from the dead?’ You do understand,” Swales pleaded.

“Yes, sir. I understand perfectly. Thanks again for your service. Sorry about the girl.”

“It’s alright. She didn’t have a heart for the work anyway. In fact, I think she went into costuming or some such thing. See you Thursday next, Doctor.”

“Thursday it is!”

Weeks, years and two wars later, adventuring (as Swales called it) took its toll on the old fedora until it was finally retired. It rested in a place of honor as an American relic, on Indy’s desk.

It was the spring of ’57 when an old friend called and begged for Jones’ assistance. In preparation for the new dig, the professor stopped into the hat maker’s shop and ordered a second brown fedora. Two weeks later he was back to pick up the hat. This time a rude electric buzzer signaled his arrival.

“Mr. Delk, Mr. Kitter? Hel-lo?”

“Delk here. I’m on the phone. Be with you in a second!”

Jones looked about the shelves, taking note of the new trends. Plaid bands and dyed feathers graced the more contemporary models.

“That’s right, and now that you've found the right ribbon those hats will be perfect. Hey, I have to go John, I’ve got a customer. Ok, goodbye. Dr. Jones, indeed! Now, how many times do I have to tell you to call me Steve?”

“Sorry. How’ve you been, Steve?” Jones asked.

“Good, good. But with Marc making hats over in West Germany these days, I’ve got more work than I can manage alone. But you didn’t drop by to listen to my troubles. You’re here to pick up the new fedora. Don’t sell many of them anymore. Straws for summer and stingy brim hats are what everybody’s after now. Pity. Your fedora’s in the back. Let me get it for you.”

As Delk slipped between the gabardine curtains at the doorway to the workroom, he called back to the professor.

“I looked for you yesterday.”

“It’s finals week and the students keep me jammed in the office. Everybody wants an A.”

“Don’t you do it. Kids these days don’t want to work for anything anymore. Now, where is that…yes, right here. Hey, I’m throwing in a great old box. They don’t make them like this anymore. It’ll be right at home with your old bits of stuff.”

The hat maker stepped back to the counter, the box between his hands. “Now, let’s give it a look. Here you go.”

“VE-ry nice. It’s -it looks just like my old hat -it’s perfect.” Jones offered, his fingertips following the curve of the brim.

“It’s actually a bit better,” Delk pointed out. “Feel. It’s not rabbit, it’s beaver. It’ll take more of a beating than your old hat. And it’s a tiny bit darker so it’ll hold its color better over time. You know, I dare say this hat might be able to take whatever you can throw at it.”

“Well it certainly looks like it Steve. You even found the ribbon I asked for.”

“Well, we did,” the hat maker corrected. “And a pain it was, too. But you haven’t noticed the best part yet. The block. Remember Swales? ’Course you do. When the old gent retired, we found a newspaper clipping of you in his files. Must have come from…oh ’36, before the war anyways. Well, in that picture you’re actually wearing your old hat. We knew it came off a distinctive block, and so I made you a new block based on your old hat. But here’s the best part. Marc’s been doing some poking around in some old hat shops in Europe and guess what he found?”

“I have no idea.”

“A fedora block, with your name on it. You coulda knocked me over with a feather. I knew you only shopped here, and we’ve no idea how it got over there. It’s a mystery.”

“Imagine that.”

“Anyway, I remembered that when it came to blocking this fedora. So! What do you think?”

“I think I got myself a right fine hat, Steve. You up to making another one, maybe in grey?”

“I can do grey. For you, I’d do blue, green, RED if you asked for it. Maybe not red.”

“Grey will be fine. I usually stick to grey when I’m just around town or traveling. Plus at my age, I’m getting an increasing number of invitations to retirement dinners and wakes. Helps to be prepared, you know.”

“Dr. Jones, at your age—you’re just getting started, you know? Gotta break this hat in, take it somewheres interesting. Exotic. Like Peru. Or Bali. I was in the Pacific, you know. ’43 to ’45, right there in the thick of it.”

“Grey, Steve.”

“Yes, sir. Grey, you got it. And if I’m gonna make you another fedora for, for bad days, like the grey one, what say I make you another brown one? And whatever you gotta do, you’ll be prepared. Like a Boy Scout.”

“I was a Boy Scout. A long time ago.”

“Me, too. So, you and me—we’ll both be prepared. Just let me make a note here. Two new fedoras for my good friend, Indiana. One grey. And another brown one. Gotta get ya'll ready for…whatever.”

“So what do I owe you?”

Patting the old box on the counter, Delk smiles. “Well Marc and I were talking about this hat and we decided that this one’s on the house. It’s pleasure making a hat like this. But the next two: thirty-nine a piece, and we’ll call it square. Is that a deal?” And he offers his hand.

With Delk’s hand in his own, the professor agrees. “It’s a deal. Take care, my friend.”

“Enjoy the hat!”

“I always do.”

Last edited by Johnny Fedora on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Indiana Jones and the Legend of the Hatshop

Post by Canyon »

Wow, I can;t believe that no-one has replied to this yet. Whats the matter with you all? [-X :mrgreen:

Great post, Johnny! :clap:
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Thanks Stella! :TOH: I've been playing with the idea that Indy's gear would've been purchased and cared for over the years and how what we know about his actual gear and who made it might fit into a story featuring Indiana. So I guess you could think of the above as a coming attractions trailer. Now I guess I actually have to take care of everything else. :anxious:

More to come...

Johnny
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Well done! Can't wait for the next installment. Will it be about boots? Jackets? Bags?

Get back to that keyboard and start typing!

LJ
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Okay - I gotta say I enjoyed this as well. Nicely done!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Awesome job!!! :clap: I really enjoyed that.

Travis
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

What a vivid imagination. ;) Someone is paying attention. What a wonderful way to characterize Swales and Steve. You captured them well. Except Steve needs a "ya'll" in there somewhere. :lol: Great story. Belongs in the Indy expanded universe.

LLS

PS Like the picture. Those hats are inspirational!
Last edited by Local Land Surveyor on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

L O V E D :clap: T H I S.
Excellent work, Johnny... Sincerest thanks for sharing this with us.
GREAT work!
(And really well-written... you do a good job of capturing that "Indy Feeling.")
:TOH:
Lookin' forward to reading more of your stuff one day...
Mitch
thedurdens
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Jersey, "What a incredible smell you've discovered."

Post by thedurdens »

Great way to weave a tale! :TOH:

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to what follows.

Frank
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

:oops: Thanks everybody! It was fun to do. I tried to cram everything in there I could (I even gave Bending Oak a cameo). Now I just have to find a way to make it work with the even larger gear story I'm working on. :-k

Johnny
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

That was great! I loved it! I can't wait for the next story!
Last edited by Ranger36 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mac »

Wonderful! Absolutely wonderful!

Great work JF; I'm still chuckling. I can't wait for the next installment!

- Mac
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Hey!! Mac! Nice smiley you got there! ;) :tup:

And Johnny! I loved that! My favorite part was how Deborah ran off with the new block so they had to go back to "that old one from a year or two ago." That was great - a really cool way to sort of explain everything. Looking forward to hearing one about the whips or jackets! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Shane
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Great storytelling! :notworthy: :clap: It actually fits both the movies and the hatters. Great job! :TOH:

Regards, Geert
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Bravo! I *loved* that story! Now tell us the story of Indy's jacket! :D
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

...and also looking forward to more!!!!
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

That was a great "behind the scenes" story! :clap:
Congrats my friend :notworthy:

-Alfonso
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

That was great, I loved it! Look forward to the Legend of the Tannery :tup:
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

WOW! I'm impressed, totally believable! Keep 'em coming!

RaiderZee
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Snapbrim76 »

Great story, I love the way we acknowledge the fact that his beaten up hat still looked so blocky - IJ got them reblocked and DN ran away with the block. Love it.
Blackthorn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Blackthorn »

Wow, is that really what happened?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow, who'd have thunk!
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Great! I really enjoyed the story! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Again, thanks for the complments everybody! :TOH: It was a fun little piece to work on.

Coming soon...

Indiana Jones and the Sound Barrier :whip:

Indiana Jones and the English Connection ;)

Johnny
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

:o Ooooh!! Can't wait! :clap: \:D/

Shane
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Well done Johnny
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Considering Steve works out of a trailer behind his Mom's house, I'm sure he'll be pleased to see he now has a nice shop. :lol: ;) :TOH:

Johnny, instead of posting the story here, you might want to post it at an offsite location, then post links from here to the story. I'd suggest you check what whipwarrior is doing. I'm sure he could clue you in on the best route to go.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=42010

That's been past practice.

GREAT read, by the way!!! :clap:

Regards! Michaelson
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Good Idea Michaelson! Thanks.

As for up-grading Steve's digs, I thought it was about time. And the new shop has air conditioning! :-

Johnny
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Thank you Sir :TOH:

'twas GREAT to read!

Kind regards,

Marc
rbinko2001
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbinko2001 »

That was a very cool little story. Well done.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

That was a very enjoyable story. Very creative and I will look forward to any future stories, too. I missed the reference to Bending Oak, though. Was it the hat box? Again, a great story line.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Steve: “That’s right, now just like that and that bow will be perfect. I have to go John, I’ve got a customer."
:)
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

:oops: Thanks Marc! Both you and John will have a more substantial role in the sequel. ;)

Johnny
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Oh, and John...check out your cameo now. :TOH:

Be seeing you.
JohnnyImage
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I have to say, absolutely loved this - great to see people we know in the world of Dr. Jones. I really hope Steve reads this.... -M
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Thanks! I was hoping the Steve had found this too but you know how buzy he is.

Thanks again.

Johnny
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by your ghost host »

good work :clap:
Buchanan Bob
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Buchanan Bob »

Fantastic story Johnny. I can't wait to read more from you.
Bob
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Hey, I just read the story. Great! Thanks!
Considering Steve works out of a trailer behind his Mom's house, I'm sure he'll be pleased to see he now has a nice shop.

Yes indeed. But, it will be hard to get rid of my converted 25 foot camper! Lots of happy memories in there, still. I had to cut a hole in one wall to install an a.c. No way can you work in a camper in Ms. in the summer without one! :lol: I would have been dead by now. I may one day update the camper to a newer model, gut it out, turn it into another hat shop, and tour the country in my retirement doing reblocks at my customers houses. :lol: Still plan on traveling when I retire from making new hats, and this would kill two birds with one stone. Since I have literally made thousands of hats, this should keep me busy. And I would get to meet in person, my customers.

Again, thanks Johnny. Great read. Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Considering Winchester Hat Co. is literally a rocks throw away from my house, you know you already have one place lined up to park said planned camper. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Fedora wrote:Hey, I just read the story. Great! Thanks!
Considering Steve works out of a trailer behind his Mom's house, I'm sure he'll be pleased to see he now has a nice shop.

Yes indeed. But, it will be hard to get rid of my converted 25 foot camper! Lots of happy memories in there, still. I had to cut a hole in one wall to install an a.c. No way can you work in a camper in Ms. in the summer without one! :lol: I would have been dead by now. I may one day update the camper to a newer model, gut it out, turn it into another hat shop, and tour the country in my retirement doing reblocks at my customers houses. :lol: Still plan on traveling when I retire from making new hats, and this would kill two birds with one stone. Since I have literally made thousands of hats, this should keep me busy. And I would get to meet in person, my customers.

Again, thanks Johnny. Great read. Fedora

If you need someone going on that trip, sharing the driving. I'm up for it.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Great! I see a big ROAD TRIP!!!!!!! in the future. :D Fedora
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Fedora wrote:

Great! I see a big ROAD TRIP!!!!!!! in the future. :D Fedora
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:D
I can see it now...
A big camper with large sweeping letters across the side that read:
DELK & PENMAN Travelling Roadshow Hattery
"We Travel the World & Come To YOUR Block To Give Your Hat a RE-Block"

;)

You know, Johnny, I just want to take another minute and just say again how much I enjoyed reading your story and make something more clear that I just didn't take the time to say before...
The dialogue you wrote, the words you put in the mouths of not only beloved fictional characters - but our beloved Hatters as well... just felt so very real. So pitch perfect.
The situations as well... the extra bit of conversation between Indy and Marion that we never saw or heard... Indy getting his things back from Katanga... Katanga's note... all right on the mark.
It was so easy to picture it all... and to hear their voices.
Plus you took an aspect of Indiana Jones mythology (the transmogrifying hat - as I call it) and lent some simple sense of logic to it all...
In doing so, I think you made it all that much more real and actually made the iconic character of Indiana Jones (HE who many of us have often tried to make ourselves just a little bit more like) and instead, made HIM just a little bit more like one of US - a guy with laundry to do, a hat that could use a good reblock and another hat on order - so to speak.

Thanks again for this great, fun read Johnny.
I love it more every time I return and read it again.
Cheers & Highest Regards,
Mitch
:TOH:
Last edited by Mitch LaRue on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Goodness, Steve doesn't look that old in his pictures...

Great story telling. That's how I think of some of these folks supplying the adventurer in all of us.
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Thanks again for the comments everybody! i'm already working on the next installment.

Steve, I'm glad you finally got to read the story. It was kind of a thank you for all of the ways you and Marc have become part of Indy's real lore and a way to drop you guys (and Mr. Swales) into Indy's world.

Mitch, thanks man I did put a lot of thought into it.

More to come everybody...

Johnny
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Wow, Johnny,

That was really good! I mean seriously, that was an excellent piece of writing. I was very impressed and entertained.

Do write more! Jacket stories, whips, boots . . . I mean, the theme could get a little old, but that's no problem, just add and adventure element to it!

Well done!

DHW
JRabbit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JRabbit »

Incredible!

What a fun read!

I've been around here just long enough to know the history of the hats, the characters, and the block. I must say, that was an impressive weave of fact and fiction, in a dead on spirit of Indy lore.

You sir, are a talented scribe!

JRabbit