Any Pagey whip owners?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Any Pagey whip owners?

Post by moses »

I'd be interested in seeing some recent pics and opinions as to how these hold up.
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Any Pagey whip owners?

Post by moses »

nobody?
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

Didn't he stop making whips?

Louie
http://bullwhips.org
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Well, I have the opportunity to buy one - so I'm interested in seeing some.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I don't own one but took one up to David Morgan to look over for Pagey. It got great praise from Mr. Morgan. I myself have missed getting one for myself before he stopped making them. I think his work is just fantastic. He is rugged like Morgan but at the same time tightly braided like Strain. He is a good mix between the two. I think his is the most SA Raiders whip to date. I say if you can pick one up do it before you regret it like I do.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Here's my whisky coloured one when it was new:

I haven't any current pics, it'd darkened up a bit more now as can be expected.
Indiana Leon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Leon »

@Kt Templar
Looks awesome! Nice whip! :clap: :whip:
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Thanks. I think I'll perhaps look out for a different opportunity.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

I recently sold my Pagey Whip but it was a real beauty. Agent5 and I once compared his Morgans to my Pagey and they were almost Identical. If you can get your hands on one I would say Go for it.

This is the only picure I have left of mine as the others disappeared along with my laptop when it was stolen.

moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Now that does look good! The one on offer is in saddle tan - hard to know what to think though as I'm getting contrasting opinions ranging from "just like a Morgan" to "amateur". :-k
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

John,
Would you like pics of our whip comparrisons? I still got em'. If so, I'll send them your way along with that illustration I did. No...I didn't forget. Just been busy.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

agent5 wrote:John,
Would you like pics of our whip comparrisons? I still got em'. If so, I'll send them your way along with that illustration I did. No...I didn't forget. Just been busy.

Sure thing Jason :tup:
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Don't know who ranked his work as amatuer but mine certainly was NOT.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

I don't think his whips are bad by any means. Pagey most certainly put time and care into his whips so they will function just fine and look good. The only issue I've personally been aware of is spacing issues where people had gaps in the plaiting which is not something pleasant to have with your whip. I would be curious to see who called his whips amateur and why they believe this but they may start a heated discussion.
And as far as being the "most accurate," I'm going to have to give that to Bernardo due to the fact that he paired up with somebody else on this board to make the most accurate Raiders whip ever right down to the always forgotten nuisance of an indent in the turkshead knot. He too has worked with Morgan many times...So to say that Pagey's are the most accurate, I have my doubts. But that's not to say that Pagey doesn't produce a fairly accurate whip that will serve you well. If it is your first whip or you are getting it at a good price, then most certainly take it. Ask the seller for some up closes of the plaiting, how it was used, and how long ago the whip was made. If it was one of the most recent ones, I think you'd be pretty good to go because it would have been at the apex of his whip making.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

moses wrote:Now that does look good! The one on offer is in saddle tan - hard to know what to think though as I'm getting contrasting opinions ranging from "just like a Morgan" to "amateur". :-k

Wait a 2nd. Who said he was a amateur? Mr. Morgan said " he's way ahead if his craft as. Whip maker" I was there in frount of Mr Morgan when he said it to me. I would like to know who said that about pagey.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

BendingOak wrote:Wait a 2nd. Who said he was a amateur? Mr. Morgan said " he's way ahead if his craft as. Whip maker" I was there in frount of Mr Morgan when he said it to me. I would like to know who said that about pagey.
John,

Wasn't that my Pagey Whip that you took to Mr. Morgan?

Cheers,
John
ksteryous
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ksteryous »

I had some plaiting issues (pic) with mine, but I don't think it has gotten any worse necessarily, and it seems to be a good enough whip. However, I don't really have anything to compare it to as I'm mostly into stockwhips now, and the Pagey whip is my only Indy style whip.

Regards,
Kenton
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

G-MANN wrote:
BendingOak wrote:Wait a 2nd. Who said he was a amateur? Mr. Morgan said " he's way ahead if his craft as. Whip maker" I was there in frount of Mr Morgan when he said it to me. I would like to know who said that about pagey.
John,

Wasn't that my Pagey Whip that you took to Mr. Morgan?

Cheers,
John

Yes sir. You are correct and i wish I had the dollars when you put it up for sale. One of my biggest regrets.
misfit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by misfit »

I bought the Pagey whip from G-Man and it's great I just love it. I will try and get some photos of it up this week. I can also answer any questions any one has
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

You just got yourself a very nice whip then.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

pageys whips ae just awesome. very high quality. expencive yes, but you get what you pay for..

If you can get one, get it!

it's 9' 12plait braided in the same hide david Morgan uses. and it cracks like a CANON!

I'll let the pictures speak for them self
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/ ... morgan.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/ ... lde524.jpg
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I tried out a Pagey whip at the Finger Lakes summit this year and I thought that they felt a little more lightweight than something like a Strain / Bernardo / Morgan / Jacka, but they definitely look the part. They're heavier than the Caicedo whips though, so there's a good comparison for you.

Now, I'm not saying that a light whip is a good thing or a bad thing, because it's all personal taste, but I prefer a heavier whip and thought I'd mention that.

Shane
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

McFly wrote:I tried out a Pagey whip at the Finger Lakes summit this year and I thought that they felt a little more lightweight than something like a Strain / Bernardo / Morgan / Jacka, but they definitely look the part. They're heavier than the Caicedo whips though, so there's a good comparison for you.

Now, I'm not saying that a light whip is a good thing or a bad thing, because it's all personal taste, but I prefer a heavier whip and thought I'd mention that.

Shane
Hmmm I wonder whose that was?? I've had folks tell me my whips were on the heavy side before, first time I've heard the opposite though.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

It belonged to IndyBlues. Like I said, it wasn't as light as a Caicedo, but it was definitely on the lighter side as far as my experience goes.

Shane
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

whiskyman wrote:Hmmm I wonder whose that was?? I've had folks tell me my whips were on the heavy side before, first time I've heard the opposite though.

Nick,

That was the First one I bought from you. The 8' One. I gave that to Indyblues as a gift a while back.

Cheers,
John
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Ah! I wondered if it was that one! Yes, that one was considerably lighter than I normally make them. In fact John, you might remember I was reluctant to sell it to you for that very reason. I think John can confirm that the other whips he's had from me have been much heavier.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

whiskyman wrote:Ah! I wondered if it was that one! Yes, that one was considerably lighter than I normally make them. In fact John, you might remember I was reluctant to sell it to you for that very reason. I think John can confirm that the other whips he's had from me have been much heavier.

Yes sir. Much heavier and all real works of art.

Cheers,
John
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Aha!!! :lol: The mystery is solved. I then take back my previous statement! :TOH:

Shane
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I have just placed a special offer in the classifieds :whip:
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Good luck on the sale. At that price, they should sell rather fast. You don't see nice nice whips of that length at a good price often. Maybe the buyer can post some photos over here and give us their personal review.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

whiskyman wrote:Ah! I wondered if it was that one! Yes, that one was considerably lighter than I normally make them. In fact John, you might remember I was reluctant to sell it to you for that very reason. I think John can confirm that the other whips he's had from me have been much heavier.

Oh, I didn't know that was the reason. I can confirm that they were of good weight and one of the things I like about them. I have held a good deal of whips in my hand and have cracked a good amount of them. I will say it again what a great job he does with them . rugged like a Morgan, braided tight like a Strain and very SA.
Max
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Max »

My new here, but I want to show you my new 10` Pagey whip in natural tan. I bougth it over the german IJ board directly from Nick and I`m 100% satisfied. Perfect quality.

I hope its okay to show your pictures Nick!http://indy.mamo-net.de/showtopic.php?id=3952