Lightning a Cowhide

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Insomniac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Lightning a Cowhide

Post by Insomniac »

I've read multiple threads about trying to lighten up a jacket and have a few questions. My plan is to lighten up my jacket by tanning it.
I read something that Michealson posting only dyed Westeds will tan.
Is this correct?
Yes or No

If so are all Westeds dyed?
Or is there a better method to do?
Also, should I put Pecards on before or after tanning?

And I'd prefer not to go the acetone/alcohol route.

Thanks so much!
:H:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Lightning a Cowhide

Post by Michaelson »

Insomniac wrote:I've read multiple threads about trying to lighten up a jacket and have a few questions. My plan is to lighten up my jacket by tanning it.
Is this correct?
Yes or No
Thanks so much!
First of all, I have no idea what in the world you're asking. 'Tanned'? Are you asking if a dark brown jacket can be lightened up to a 'tan' color? :-k

Second of all, it wasn't me who said ANYTHING about this topic, as I'm a staunch supporter (and preached same for YEARS) of natural distressing of gear. I do not practice 'distressing' of our gear using artifical methods. Never have, never will.
[-(
You'll need to point me in the direction of what you think I was saying so I can at least try to figure out what you're referring to regarding this. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I also think you mean "lightening" as opposed to "lightning." They're two VERY different things! :shock:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, I'm sure a direct hit by lightning would change the color of ANY jacket it stikes! :-k You CAN quote me on that! :[

;)
Regards! Michaelson
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Plus, you probably get that unslightly white streak in your hair like in ' Bride of Frankenstein........... :rolling:
Insomniac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Insomniac »

Michaelson wrote:
Insomniac wrote:I've read multiple threads about trying to lighten up a jacket and have a few questions. My plan is to lighten up my jacket by tanning it.
Is this correct?
Yes or No
Thanks so much!
First of all, I have no idea what in the world you're asking. 'Tanned'? Are you asking if a dark brown jacket can be lightened up to a 'tan' color? :-k

Second of all, it wasn't me who said ANYTHING about this topic, as I'm a staunch supporter (and preached same for YEARS) of natural distressing of gear. I do not practice 'distressing' of our gear using artifical methods. Never have, never will.
[-(
You'll need to point me in the direction of what you think I was saying so I can at least try to figure out what you're referring to regarding this. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
What I'm trying to say is can you tan as in sun bathe a Wested and make it lighten in color.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

AH, then the answer is 'no'. :M:

Now I KNOW you quoted the wrong guy in your first post. ;)

The only leather I'm aware that does what you're asking is kangaroo, and that's based on how 'roo whips react to long periods of exposure to sunlight.

Tanned hides such as lambskin, cowhide and goatskin do not fade as readily due to long exposure to sunlight....they'll dry and crack, but not fade.

Of course as a disclaimer, ANYTHING will eventually fade when exposed to long LONG periods of ultraviolet light....but not 'tan' per se. Just look at your car paint job! :lol:

Just 'roo hide 'tans', as it has the same type pigment in the skin as a human has that will darken or change color with that type of exposure.

Regards! Michaelson
Insomniac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Insomniac »

Thanks again Michealson!
Are there any other good lightening methods that anyone has heard of other than alcohol?
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Methinks lightning a jacket would render it dusky charcoal in hue. :rolling:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

wait...

dye? I thought westeds jackets were tanned?

Mark, while Im in here.. what is LONG? I have absolutley no interrest in making my jacket lighter. I actually cant get them dark enuff... but a jacket, lets say horse or goat (yes here I go again with the goat ;) ) will not fade with normal wear when/if caugth in the sun from time to time.right?

they need to lay, lay, lay, lay and lay in the sun to lighten them the sligthes rigth?

its funny, you know how worried Ive have been about fading jackets especially the goat, but when I see goatskin jacket from 50 years back they look so broken in and also very dark. when I see those then I stop worring. but then again I read those 'horror' stories about them from time to time and I just dont know what to think....
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Some are tanned....and some are dyed. Depends on the material. Read up on the folks who got caught in Wested lambskin jackets and had brown dye release all over their clothing.

'Long' is talking about a jacket left in the sun for several days/months/years. You don't have to worry about running outside, Eric. But, even so, if you could shoot a photo of your jacket brand new, then another shot in the same light a year later, you'd be amazed how much lighter the jacket has become just due to exposure to sunlight and air, as like anything else, leather also oxidizes with exposure to air.

I guarantee you that those old jackets you referred to were a LOT darker, almost black, when new than they are now.

So, I wouldn't suggest you lose any sleep over this. (grins) ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

But I do.. man do I do... I hate light letaher jackets.. especially Indy jackets..

rememebr that old dark goatskin Pter used before? he has some left and he told me he could make me a jacket in this skin...

since this is so dark I hope it will stay that way...

or else I need to hand re-dye it..

oh yeah.. while Im at it... the hand dyeing process... will that dye stay on the skin and not run when caught in the rain once the dye really has gone into the fibers?

do you know anything about that Mark?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Completely depends on the dye you're using. Some are not water soluable, some are.

Read the label (yeah, I know....stating the obvious. :lol: ;) )

Regards! Michaelson
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

the dye is 100% alcohol based.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'd think it being alcohol based it would be non-water soluable. You need to ask a leather expert in your neck of the woods to be sure.

Regards! Michaelson