Question for the hatters

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Question for the hatters

Post by Indiana Green »

I'm currently in the process of making a hat and I was wondering if there's a specific technique to pouncing, whether it's just short strokes, or concentric circles, etc. I plan on taking it off the block when I get home today around 6pm ET so responses are appreciated :TOH:

Jordan
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Question for the hatters

Post by 3thoubucks »

It's a slow process, so you have time to experiment. I'll sand a hat for 10 hours if I want thin felt.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Experiment is the best way to learn. You have to treat every hat body as if it cost you a dime. You mess it up. take it off the block and throw it to the side and grab a new one. You can over pounce a hat so take your time use different strokes and see what works for whatever felt you are using. Different felt re-act differently. I have learn I can't re-block all hats the same. I can re-pounce all hats the same way.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

For hand pouncing, generally long stokes are needed, with the grain, or counter clockwise. Use the finest grit the felt will take, without mottling. This can vary from felt to felt. So, you have to use your eyes, and watch what the sanding is doing to the finish. Try not to cut down so far that you reach the core of the felt. The more you remove, and get closer to the core, the more unstable the finished hat will be, in so far as future shrinkage. So sand or pounce only the amount needed to get a smooth finish. Fedora
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

I was wondering the same thing the other day. Thanks for your answers and thanks for making that question.

Regards
-Alfonso
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

Thanks alot everyone, I appreciate the responses. My hat is currently in limbo right now, as I don't have a wide enough flange for the brim. I'm not sure what to do, be it making a flange or just ponying up the dough for one. Either way, I hope to get it done soon so I can wear my hat :D