Todd's "Raider" Holster

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Indiana Hutch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Todd's "Raider" Holster

Post by Indiana Hutch »

Forgive me if this issue has already been addressed, but can anyone give me a straight-forward view on Todd's "raider" holster. Is it worth buying, and can it support my S+W .38 Special?
misfit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Todd's "Raider" Holster

Post by misfit »

Yes, yes and yes I put my S&W 1917 45acp and the holster holds it just fine. They are really solid and well made
Indiana Hutch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Hutch »

thank you so much for your input. :TOH: I feel better now about purchasing it. ;)
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Yeah, Todd generally doesn't sell junk. From what I can tell, he's been pretty committed to providing quality stuff that looks great and works great too. I have his strap, bag, belt, and whip holder, and I have been very happy with all of it!
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

I love mine. Its a well built piece. It would definately hold together on a Indy adventure.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Are you talking about his "basic" holster or the "deluxe" version? (Last I remember he had two versions. I'm assuming he still does.) I have an earlier version of his basic holster (it doesn't have the plug at the end) and it's well made for what it is. I'm pretty happy with it. I own a WWII S&W Victory which can fit inside. This holster is strong enough to support the weight of a real gun. However, if you plan on using Todd's holster as a working holster for a real gun, I would point out one or two things.

Back when I got my holster, the metal hardware was uncovered inside the holster. At that time, the belt loops were riveted on, as opposed to stitched. (I don't recall if his newer version of the basic holster has a stitched belt loop or not.) Also, the post that catches the flap strap was uncovered inside the holster, too. I bring this up for a very important reason. If metal parts inside a holster rub against the metal of your cherished real revolver, it will scratch up your gun. For that reason, the basic holster he offered (at the time I got mine) would not be a good choice for a real gun. Still, this holster will support the weight of a true revolver. I believe his deluxe holster is designed with that in mind.

There is an easy fix, though. If the metal hardware is exposed inside the holster, you can always cover it with a suede leather in order to protect it from marring the finish of your gun. But if you plan on using a holster to carry a true firearm, it makes sense to spend the money to protect your investment by getting a holster designed specifically for true carry. I'd talk to Todd about what he could do for you in that regard, as well as to get the current specs on his holsters. But as it goes, I'm pleased as punch with my older Todd's basic Raiders holster. It's a great costume piece which will easily last a good, long time.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Todd's only has one Raiders holster on the site now. I remember he used to offer a deluxe version of each, but now he only has one of each, and judging by the price, they are probably not the deluxe versions.
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

And the belt loop is stitched, not riveted.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Thanks for the update on that. It's been a while since I visited the site. But it's good to know the belt loop is now stitched in. That should help solve some of the problem. ;)
twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

Photos of my relatively new, mildly distressed Todd's holster:
Note the leather patch on the inside of the flap to cover the metal fastener.
ravencrow
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ravencrow »

i ordered the holster and his shirt and both are excellent products
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Great pics, twilekjedi! Can you show one of the barrel plug at the bottom?

This is a nice step up from his earlier budget holster which I have, and that one is well made for the money. The belt loop stitching and inside fastener cover are nice touches. This holster still sells for maybe $30, right? If so, it's a good deal!

Here's a quick pic I could find of my older Todd's holster. Don't mind the mice. They're just napping.

twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

Sure thing!
And inside:
And yes, it's listed for $29.95.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Thanks! I can see that Todd has really taken these holsters up a notch since I got mine! And the price is still about the same, too! This holster looks like a great deal. :tup:
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

Todd's holster is great, no argument there. BUT, if you ever have a holster with any exposed metal on the inside - MOLESKIN works great. I have a Makarov with an East German issue holster. Holster is exactly what you'd expect from a former Eastern Bloc country. Piece of @#$%. Rivets showing, etc. Covered them all with moleskin a couple of years ago. I've drawn that thing probably 50 times now and it's still holding strong.
Indiana Hutch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Hutch »

WOW! That is some great craftsmanship on Todd's end. Thank you everyone for your help. This holster is getting ordered very soon! :D Oh, and I like the mice bink, :lol:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Those photos confirm my suspicion that this is a great looking product!! I've done the whole LC look, but haven't really gone the raiders route yet, so I think I'll pick one of these up along with a brown web belt from Todd.

Definitely a nice holster!
Indiana Hutch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Hutch »

I just got it in the mail and would like to say that I am very impressed with Todd's workmanship. Top notch and excellent. You cannot go wrong with this holster :clap: :TOH:
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

I got one when I had the old S&W .38 Special that looked just like a slightly smaller 'N' frame, and it even worked fine for that. I sold it on ebay and came out about even. I also sold the .38 and got an Inglis Hi-Power just like the 'Raven' fight auto that Indy used, and I found an Austrian police holster for it already 'distressd' by decades of use. I just did not like the revolver even though it looked perfect for an 'Indy' gun. I just like autos. I probably will never venture out in public wearing a gun with my 'Indy' stuff anyway, and I can use the holster with any of my HPs, including with the .22LR conversion kit which would be a great deep-woods hiking/camping/plinking set-up.