Opinions on a CS LC hybrid.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

FlameoftheWest
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Opinions on a CS LC hybrid.

Post by FlameoftheWest »

After looking at crismans LC jacket I immedietly fell in love. The distressing is incredible. I've been thinking about getting a CS style in dark CS leather with heavy LC distressing, and Raiders style sleeves (CS sleeves just seem too baggy for me). To me this jacket would capture the essence of all the Indy films, although not SA to any.
Any opinions or ideas would be great.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Opinions on a CS LC hybrid.

Post by RCSignals »

FlameoftheWest wrote:After looking at crismans LC jacket I immedietly fell in love. The distressing is incredible. I've been thinking about getting a CS style in dark CS leather with heavy LC distressing, and Raiders style sleeves (CS sleeves just seem too baggy for me). To me this jacket would capture the essence of all the Indy films, although not SA to any.
Any opinions or ideas would be great.
I think it would be fine, and it would be yours.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

If that is the jacket you want, then you should absolutely go for it. It's always up to the individual to decide how much SA is for him/her. I did get the more tapered Raiders sleeves on my LC and I really like them. The CS sleeves are fine but I like the tapered ones a little better.

Oh, and thanks for the nice compliment! :D
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I really like that idea! I was trying out the upconversion on my new Blue Ray player last night and was watching my standard def Crystal Skull, looking at the details on the jacket, and I noted that I liked the CS jacket, but it wasn't distressed enough.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Hybrids are great. I have been thikning about getting a CS in goat with LC or Raiders pockets (I find the actual CS pocjkets a bit bland looking).
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

The new goatskin wested has would be perfect for that in between thick/thin look the LC jacket has. pluss the colour is a very deep brown color. not authentic and not dark br. best of both worlds I guess.

Im getting the LC in goat with my new set of LC specs..... or maby the dark drapy horse... probably the goat.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

But Holt is it really a 'LC' without the distinctive distressing ? :anxious:
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Except FlameoftheWest is talking about getting a jacket from TN. See his other post.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Hatch wrote:But Holt is it really a 'LC' without the distinctive distressing ? :anxious:

yep. big COOL collar. big flaps. low yolk. the distresisng is just a detail that makes the jacket look cool on film for Indy. when walking around in public with distressing like that, people would give me a second look... and not 'wow, cool jacket look' I think.....
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Austria (He doesn't know any of those guys. - Tony Nowak)

Post by orb »

After pecarding my TN LC Jacket (Italian Cowhide) the distressing isn't even much noticable anymore.
So you shouldn't have any problems wearing such a distressed jacket in public.

Regards

orb
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Indiana Holt wrote:
Hatch wrote:But Holt is it really a 'LC' without the distinctive distressing ? :anxious:

yep. big COOL collar. big flaps. low yolk. the distresisng is just a detail that makes the jacket look cool on film for Indy. when walking around in public with distressing like that, people would give me a second look... and not 'wow, cool jacket look' I think.....
You hit the nail right on the head there :) !!! there is no better description for it ! So holt hows your new SA LC coming along?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

its going great. Ive just finished up the last diagram for the specs. so hopefully beginning next week Ill send my order.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

There are certainly a lot of things that differentiate the LC to the discerning eye (and Holt nailed them). But, while I usually see eye to eye with Holt on most jacket things, I have to say that, to me, a LC has to have that distressing in order to look right. That distressing is just so distinctive.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

crismans wrote:There are certainly a lot of things that differentiate the LC to the discerning eye (and Holt nailed them). But, while I usually see eye to eye with Holt on most jacket things, I have to say that, to me, a LC has to have that distressing in order to look right. That distressing is just so distinctive.
Sorry Crismans, no offence intended but I really don't like the distressing of the LC jacket. I always thought, "now there's a good jacket ruined by sandpaper..." Those even sanded wear lines across all the seams, yuk! But I always liked the cut, the pockets and the thicker looking leather. It's probably my favorite Indy jacket. For me, the obviously fake wear of the jacket in the film kind of spoiled things. By contrast the Raiders jacket wear looked real and less over-the-top.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

No offense taken here! I used to feel that the distressing was over the top myself but I've grown to really like it over time.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

:lol:
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Dutch_jones wrote:
Indiana Holt wrote:

You hit the nail right on the head there :) !!! there is no better description for it ! So holt hows your new SA LC coming along?
So Dutch let me get this straight....you and Holt are talking about a SA LC.........but WITHOUT one of the MAIN details that make it distinctive on screen , ie. THE DISTRESSING......so by definition it will be non SA if I'm understanding you.... :roll: #-o
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

No i'm saying anyone with a piece of sandpaper can make a LC ish jacket ! Its the details, pockets collar, snaps etc the whole built of that jacket that makes it the LC sorry but the distressing is only a minor detail ;)

JMO ofcourse :) when I look at LC I see the jacket for what it is I don't notice the distressing that much LOL!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

so let me get this straight.

if you got a super AB SA raiders fedora, it would be NON SA hat if it didnt have all the dust on it? :roll: come on!....

I want the LC jacket to be MY jacket. NOT Indy's jacket. The distressing on the LC is WAY cool. but I want to break in my jacket and let it age on its own.

My LC jacket will also have a hem stitch. NOT SA but real life durable....

take this picture for example. You cant see the distressing but it still screams LC and looks just as cool.

Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Who is making this new 'Screen accurate' LC jacket for you Holt? Not Wested again, surely?
Rikimaru
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rikimaru »

K.A.

Holt has been talking about getting his new LC jacket in goat from Wested but it would probably be better for him to say it than I. Dont want to put words into anyones mouth.... :#:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yes it will be wested.

I like getting my jacket from the original maker without going to deep into that.I will get a TN sometime soon to. I know about your bitterness towards them and to a certain point I can understand. but if this is baiting me into a discussion about WHY I choose them to make my jacket, I suggest you stop right now!
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

No baiting intended, I was just wondering.
I think I'm perfectly entitled to be curious as to why you'd choose Wested yet again though, after so many :-0 attempts.
Frankly, I think you're throwing good money after bad, but it's your money, and I can understand the appeal of the whole 'Original maker' thing.
It's why I went with a Crystal Skull jacket from Tony, though I didn't need to send him a list of specs and measurements and changes
to ensure he made the jacket right.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Kevin Anderson wrote: though I didn't need to send him a list of specs and measurements and changes
to ensure he made the jacket right.

Sure, but to some figuring out all the specs and making that list is the fun of ordering a jacket. People will always have their reasons for doing things in ways others would find strange or cumbersome, so personaly I just let them.

Regards, Geert
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

So, if your jacket was so perfect, why did you want to/did sell it?....

The TN LC is good, but it is far from perfect. The collar is all wrong and to pointy, the pocket flaps are to square. the placement is wrong.and the straps are placed to low. other then that very good. I think the best LC form TN is Crismans jacket.

But these jackets from TN are just fan based specs. not original. The wested pattern is far more closer to the original jacket then what people might think. The LC pattern form wested is copied from a jacket copied from an original LC jacket. but certain specs were overlooked... This is were I want to step in. I want to polish that pattern.

Its just a hobby for me and I like it. my money?..ah well, who cares, not me...and so shouldnt you.....I pay my bills. Other people smoke... IMO, THATS throwing away your money.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Who's baiting who now? Not exactly 'Moderator behaviour'.
If you'd paid any attention, you'd have read that my first TN CS was a hair too small. Entirely my fault, I went with a collar to shoulder length of 6.75", instead of the 'Harrison Ford' size of 7.25 inches. It felt a little tight in the shoulders, especially after I started working out again, but it loosened up nicely.
It's a beautiful jacket, and I'm glad I kept it. My second CS jacket from Tony, in the darker leather and ever so slightly larger, is perfect for me.
Unless Wested start offering different hides and colours, you're never going to get a very 'LC' looking jacket from them, I'm afraid.
I do look forward to seeing your jacket when it arrives. Maybe Peter can do something really special this time, though to me it's clear that their
focus in more on the Raiders jacket, something they do fairly well some of the time.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Dont tell me how to behave in my own forum.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Kevin Anderson wrote:Who's baiting who now? Not exactly 'Moderator behaviour'.
If you'd paid any attention, you'd have read that my first TN CS was a hair too small. Entirely my fault, I went with a collar to shoulder length of 6.75", instead of the 'Harrison Ford' size of 7.25 inches. It felt a little tight in the shoulders, especially after I started working out again, but it loosened up nicely.
It's a beautiful jacket, and I'm glad I kept it. My second CS jacket from Tony, in the darker leather and ever so slightly larger, is perfect for me.
Unless Wested start offering different hides and colours, you're never going to get a very 'LC' looking jacket from them, I'm afraid.
I do look forward to seeing your jacket when it arrives. Maybe Peter can do something really special this time, though to me it's clear that their
focus in more on the Raiders jacket, something they do fairly well some of the time.
Just because TN offers different hides does not mean that Wested should too!

They offer a lot of different hides, and if you want an accurately draping jacket you order one in lamb, but Cowhide or novapelle is also very hot pick for a LC/CS jacket I don't think its hides that make an accurate jacket in the first place, its still the specs, and Like Holt said their current are very close Its just the fine tuning and SA is really in the eye of the beholder. Eric I look forward to seeing your jacket !!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Here is why I say the wested LC pattern is closer to what people might think. Bear in mind that these pockets, sleeve and collar specs on the jcket below are not standarized on the standard LC from wested. This jacket is my one year old HH with my own 'Holt LC' specs.

To others, the jacket in this picture might look like an unused original LC jacket, but there are a quite few details missing that I would like to have on my next jacket. Thats why I want another.

and look at the length. Perfect.

RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana Holt wrote:.........

But these jackets from TN are just fan based specs. not original.
Compared to?

Indiana Holt wrote:The wested pattern is far more closer to the original jacket then what people might think. The LC pattern form wested is copied from a jacket copied from an original LC jacket. but certain specs were overlooked... This is were I want to step in. I want to polish that pattern.

:-k
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Ok, so Holt's copy will be his own version based on the current LC/CS pattern which is itself a hybrid of Tony Nowak's and Peter Botwright's features, whose LC elements are copied from a Magnoli, which is copied from a template created by Indy Magnoli who had been provided measurements from a gearhead who had accessed the Smithsonian jacket which was an actual LC jacket, which in turn was made by Wested based on a Lee Keppler jacket that was copied from watching Raiders (which features a Leather Concessionaires jacket) on VHS and taking notes?

Don't think I missed anything...? I think I just cracked the Da Vinci Code! :shock:

Gotta love this hobby!
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Yojimbo Jones wrote:Ok, so Holt's copy will be his own version based on the current LC/CS pattern which is itself a hybrid of Tony Nowak's and Peter Botwright's features, whose LC elements are copied from a Magnoli, which is copied from a template created by Indy Magnoli who had been provided measurements from a gearhead who had accessed the Smithsonian jacket which was an actual LC jacket, which in turn was made by Wested based on a Lee Keppler jacket that was copied from watching Raiders (which features a Leather Concessionaires jacket) on VHS and taking notes?

Don't think I missed anything...? I think I just cracked the Da Vinci Code! :shock:

Gotta love this hobby!
Not VHS Laserdisc,

And I don't think holts lc will be a hybrid with a TN jacket because he had his own LC specs way before TN was even in the market of indy jackets? and westeds current pattern is mostly based on the jacket They provided for indy 4?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Dutch_jones wrote: and westeds current pattern is mostly based on the jacket They provided for indy 4?
Do you mean to say that Wested's CS offering is based on Wested's submission for the Indy 4 jacket? If so, remember that Wested didn't get the contract, so that pattern wouldn't be the most accurate for CS.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

True enough. They didn't USE the jacket OR pattern Wested submitted, so it's yet another 'hybrid' of the film used jacket.

Regards! Michaelson
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Yojimbo Jones wrote:Ok, so Holt's copy will be his own version based on the current LC/CS pattern which is itself a hybrid of Tony Nowak's and Peter Botwright's features, whose LC elements are copied from a Magnoli, which is copied from a template created by Indy Magnoli who had been provided measurements from a gearhead who had accessed the Smithsonian jacket which was an actual LC jacket, which in turn was made by Wested based on a Lee Keppler jacket that was copied from watching Raiders (which features a Leather Concessionaires jacket) on VHS and taking notes?

Gotta love this hobby!
Do Magnoli's come with distressing ?....anybody got any good pics ?.........Yohimbo this would have made a better story than the plot of 'Angels and Demons'...I kept nodding off in that one...... :D
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Dutch_jones wrote: and westeds current pattern is mostly based on the jacket They provided for indy 4?
Do you mean to say that Wested's CS offering is based on Wested's submission for the Indy 4 jacket? If so, remember that Wested didn't get the contract, so that pattern wouldn't be the most accurate for CS.
No i didn't know for sure ! thats why I hoped someone who knows more would step in. I thought I read it somewhere !:)

@ Hatch: SO true !!!!!!!!!!:mrgreen:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Magnoli will distress your jacket if you want him to. From what I can see he does a very good job.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Holt I think you should get TN LC instead of Wested.
TN is the Master at nailing the length.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

PLATON wrote:Holt I think you should get TN LC instead of Wested.
TN is the Master at nailing the length.
Really?......you really want to spark this again? That's just about the LAST thing I would have posted to this thread after reading through the wonderful exchanges on here!
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

It was a joke man.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

WHEW! Gotchya! I'm normally pretty good at picking up on that stuff, but I missed it this time. Probably because I'm on a deadly boring conference call right now!

Anyway, it IS funny!
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

maboot38 wrote:WHEW! Gotchya! I'm normally pretty good at picking up on that stuff, but I missed it this time. Probably because I'm on a deadly boring conference call right now!

Anyway, it IS funny!
The jokes around here are fast and subtle.

Did you get this thread intermingled with your conference call? That might have livened it up :lol:
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

:lol:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

RCSignals wrote:
maboot38 wrote:WHEW! Gotchya! I'm normally pretty good at picking up on that stuff, but I missed it this time. Probably because I'm on a deadly boring conference call right now!

Anyway, it IS funny!
The jokes around here are fast and subtle.

Did you get this thread intermingled with your conference call? That might have livened it up :lol:

What? What? Sorry, I was sleeping!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

well, Im sick of that joke...
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Then maybe you don't have a sense of humor...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Or the joke is old. ;)
COW Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by COW Admin »

PLATON, you know you're on thin ice with the staff of IndyGear already, right? Why are you pushing your luck by pushing their buttons? Obviously, the staff has told you repeatly to stop. I suggest you do so immediately or face the final consequence.