Todd's new Downtowner Fedora with pics!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Todd's new Downtowner Fedora with pics!

Post by Russian Raider »

Is it me or brim is too small? Other than that looks great. Hmmm.. :-k
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Kredepops wrote: The ribbon is unfortunately not exactely black either, it's dark brown and has a purple-ish shine to it....

........If only the colour only had been more like 'sable', with a black ribbon, I would have ordered a second one in my size aswell.
Hi Kredepops, congrats on your hat and bust.

On the ribbon: the ribbon on the Raiders hat actualy was a dark brown. So dark it appeared black in some lighting, but it still shows up as brown in other lighting. The purple-ish sheen to it is something that isn't SA though :-k

On the colour of the hat: Most hatters make their hats a little darker than SA. Why? Well, felt will fade in colour with time and wear, so to prevent it geting too light they let the hats start out a little too dark so they will fade into the perfect colour after some time and wear.

Regards, Geert
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

That crown looks way too tall!! Especially on "Ford"
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Russian Raider wrote:Is it me or brim is too small? Other than that looks great. Hmmm.. :-k
Nope, the brim looks fine. The crown is just way too tall on these hats.

The reason the color looks identical to your DP is becuase it is the same felt as the DP. They are both made in the same place.

Dave
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

i think the hat looks fine ---- much better than the dorfman styled hat (which i own ) the hat will lighten up with being used and worn ---- when i ordered my hat (which should be here by thursday july 2nd) i also ordered the dark ribbon that todds sells so if i need to , i will get it put on by the local hat company that put the black ribbon on my dorfman, but again i think the hat looks very nice --- i will post pics of mine when i get it and do side by side comparisions on my old dorfman and the downtowner.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

That hat on the bust appears to be about 5 1/2'' creased, just like the other one. That is way too tall for a Raiders hat. I agree that the color will fade with time to a much more SA color. I prefer this. However, the color in this felt will run when wet and it will not become the color you are hoping for. This THE SAME FELT as the DP. Everything that is known about the DP applies to this hat except block shape. This one has a better block. However, as we can see, it is much too tall.

Dave
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

well i guess having such a small crown from the dorfman the downtowner will be a bit of a stretch,but that will be better i think in my own opinion, but i will find out in a few days .
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

DR Ulloa wrote:That hat on the bust appears to be about 5 1/2'' creased, just like the other one.
Actually it's only 5" but it may look a bit higher because I didn't pull the hat down properly on the bust. On the last pic you can see it sits well above his ears.

Anyhow, the hat is starting to grow on me, I hope it fades a bit towards a more SA colour, but I'm still going to replace the ribbon with a darker one :)
It kinda reminds me of the fedora indy wears in some of the Young Indy Chronicles tv-show. Anyhow it looks way better on the bust than the Dorfman did and I always have my favorite fedora a Peters bros. for my own head :D .
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

That hat on the bust appears to be about 5 1/2'' creased, just like the other one. That is way too tall for a Raiders hat. I agree that the color will fade with time to a much more SA color. I prefer this. However, the color in this felt will run when wet and it will not become the color you are hoping for. This THE SAME FELT as the DP. Everything that is known about the DP applies to this hat except block shape. This one has a better block. However, as we can see, it is much too tall.

Dave
Wow! You know more about these hats and the global hatmaking situation than I do. All I know is who makes them for me. Do you know who makes DP's Indy hats? Do you know who makes this felt? I don't even know that. I also haven't soaked one of these with water to see if the dye runs out. Of course, with rabbit fur, if your hat gets THAT wet it's probably toast anyway.

If you can provide me with more details, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance!

Todd
Last edited by Puppetboy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Let's keep it civil, folks. Todd, while I'm sure you know the specifics of this hat and others may make statements claiming the same, let's not get ugly about this, please.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Sorry about the tone, but this is an influential forum where opinions are formed and misinformation becomes fact. I don't want this misinformation to also become "fact" here on this board. You don't like the way it looks - fine. Have at it all day long. But don't make authoritative claims about felt quality and running dye. This is not fair to me and it is a disservice to this community.

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the DP hats that run are wool felt. My hats are rabbit.

As I said, if Dave can actually prove his facts, I will apologize.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I don't see how this hat at this price range won't run circles around the Dorfman's. I personally would prefer the ribbon to be darker on it but that's only a very very minor complaint. I don't think the hat looks that tall......especially on Vaderbreath's head.

I think it's far to early to be commenting on how well the hat will hold up and what it will do if it gets wet....especially when there aren't very many people that A) own one and B) haven't owned them for very long....

IF I had some extra cash to burn I'd certainly consider buying one. I'd at least love to get a hold of one just to try it on and see how it looked on me. :)
Greengo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Greengo »

I am new here. I don't mean to insult anyone. I own a fur felt DP. It is restyled in a "Raider's" bash. I have had this hat get soaked and the color never ran. If I had the cash on hand I would purchase a Todd's Downtowner. Not all of us have the funds to have a hat made by a custom maker. Also, it's not nice to run down a vendors product. The exception would be if you purchased the product and it fell apart. I have not heard this about Todd's new hat.
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

I got too much Fuller's earth on the fedora, so I used a wet cloth to clean some of it off and the felt's colour didn't rub off. So I think it's safe to say that it won't run.

Yeah, it's actually a size 61, so of course it's taller and wider than Ford's size 58 :) In person, it looks really great on my Indy bust, not too big/tall at all.
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Russian Raider wrote:Is it me or brim is too small? Other than that looks great. Hmmm.. :-k
I agree.

the first thing that came to my
mind, espacally after the 3rd pic, was
that the brim looks way too small.
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Here's a some comparison pics. The Downtowner vs. the Dormanns isn't really fair because that hat is 10 years old and has lost a lot of shape.

The other pic is the Downtowner vs. my Peters bros. _ Style fedora. The brim on the downtowner is a bit wider than that as it should be, since it's a bigger size! I don't think there's anything wrong with the brim size, it might be the angle that confuses.

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Puppetboy wrote:Sorry about the tone, but this is an influential forum where opinions are formed and misinformation becomes fact. I don't want this misinformation to also become "fact" here on this board. You don't like the way it looks - fine. Have at it all day long. But don't make authoritative claims about felt quality and running dye. This is not fair to me and it is a disservice to this community.

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the DP hats that run are wool felt. My hats are rabbit.

I can understand where you're coming from, Todd. All too often misinformation becomes fact. I won't even begin to point to examples where that has happened. :roll: It's all in how we present our case, though. I just don't want a bunch of mudslinging to ensue.

That said, some Dorfmans ARE made of fur felt. I've seen several of them (Minnesota Jones has one) and they're not bad hats, even if they aren't SA. Heck, remember that Dorfman even came out with a beaver felt hat to sell after Crystal Skull came out. So no, not all Dorfmans are wool.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Puppetboy wrote:Sorry about the tone, but this is an influential forum where opinions are formed and misinformation becomes fact. I don't want this misinformation to also become "fact" here on this board. You don't like the way it looks - fine. Have at it all day long. But don't make authoritative claims about felt quality and running dye. This is not fair to me and it is a disservice to this community.

I can understand where you're coming from, Todd. All too often misinformation becomes fact. I won't even begin to point to examples where that has happened. :roll: It's all in how we present our case, though. I just don't want a bunch of mudslinging to ensue.

That said, some Dorfmans ARE made of fur felt. I've seen several of them (Minnesota Jones has one) and they're not bad hats, even if they aren't SA. Heck, remember that Dorfman even came out with a beaver felt hat to sell after Crystal Skull came out. So no, not all Dorfmans are wool.
You are right bink, but I believe he means it was the woolfelt dorfmans that run, not the furfelt ones. I could be mistaken though, but that's how I read that.

I have several items that come from Todd and I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't test stuff like whether the dye will run on this felt. I do agree though that the crown looks a tad too high though :-k However, all in all I think it's a great looking hat for the price and with some steam or water you should be able to lower that front pinch a bit if nescesarry.

Regards, Geert
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

As for the crowns looking too high. Someone taking a photo of themselves, if you ever notice, even AB's look massively tall. It all has to do with angles and perspective.

Though, I find it humorous that people can "measure" these hats by looking at a photo. :lol:

Ok time to make like this.. :Plymouth:

Randy
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The ribbon is a constant, at 39 mm, and can be used to measure the height of the crown. However, I think that this is the classic case of styling a hat to fit the face, etc. This hat needs a good nick...the 'down crowner'. ;) For the bust, I'd bash it a good 1/2" lower, jmho.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Todd, you wrote in another thread that these hats were made in China. I have heard from more than one source in the business that Dorfman Pacific uses China to make hats, including their official Indiana Jones hat. It is my understanding that there is only one felt manucafturer in China. I put two and two together.

As Bink pointed out, DP also makes a fur felt Indy hat. I don't have one, but my cousin has one. It got wet and guess what? The dye ran. It wasn't as bad as the modern Stetsons, but it ran. I shoudn't have assumed that you are using the same dying process that DP is. But if you are having these hats made in China, they are made by the same guys making the DP Indy hats. It has been stated many times here that there are only seven felters left in the world and, again it is my understanding, that only one is in China.

I know you have you a lot of work into this hat, and for that I applaud you. But I didn't attack you. If you feel like I did, you must have read my post in a way it wasn't intended. I think that the fur DPs are a better than modern Stetsons or Dobbs. It wasn't a knock at your hat. But let us not forget that we are on an internet forum where discussion of hats is the main purpose. I was talking about you hat. I wasn't bashing your hat. The hat is too tall, sorry, but don't take it personal. If everything that I have stated isn't the case, then I'm sorry. But this is what I know. I don't ever state anything without thinking about what I'm writing. Your hats are made in China and so are DPs and with only one fetler in China that means you guys are using the same felt. You may have requested special runs, but that is the same felt. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry. If I'm right, I'm sorry too. I can understand someone defending their product, especially if something untrue is said about it. But you handled this in a way that was uneccessary. Take it for what it is. If we can't even talk about the good and bad of a hat, then the point of this forum is lost.

Dave
Greengo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Greengo »

For what it is worth, I have a fur felt DP. I have got it wet, soaked in fact, and the dye did not run. Just because your cousins hat this happen, don't go telling everyone that all DP fur hat do that. Get your facts right.

I am not trying to insult you. I am like Todd. I would like see proof of your statements about the source of the fur for the DP and Todds new hat. Right is right.

I joined this forum for knowledge. Myself, I don't care for bashing anothers mans possessions or products. So please back up your stated facts with proof. Todd is trying to sell a new product and your words will only hurt him in the longrun.

As for me, I have what I have because I am not a man with a lot of money. Also I don't buy junk. I just don't like to see facts distorted.
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

DR Ulloa wrote: The hat is too tall, sorry, but don't take it personal.
Still, that is an assumption made from looking at a picture.

Like theinterchange says
theinterchange wrote: Though, I find it humorous that people can "measure" these hats by looking at a photo.

The hat does indeed looks better on Vaderbreath than on my 1:1 bust, and the reason for that may be that it's a bit too big for the bust. I had to buy a size 61 for it to fit over the sculpted hair, but the face is still Harrisons head size, which with 'crushable' hair (hehe) is a size 58. I still don't think it's too bad though I might try and bash it ½ an inch lower like Texan Scott suggested.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Todd, you wrote in another thread that these hats were made in China. I have heard from more than one source in the business that Dorfman Pacific uses China to make hats, including their official Indiana Jones hat. It is my understanding that there is only one felt manucafturer in China. I put two and two together.
As I thought, since they are made in China, they must be THE SAME HAT. Come on! There are many hat manufacturers in China, a country of 295 million people. DP built their very own factory there just recently. Prior to that their IJ hats were made in the USA. This information came straight to me from a VP at DP.

As to the FACT that there is only ONE felt manufacturer in China, I need some proof of that. Another vague assertion that has become fact here on this board, with no proof, no names. You'd need to have a pretty comprehensive knowledge of China's industry to know that. New factories are popping up every day there. How can you even be sure that these two factories (mine and DP) are even using felt made in China?

Code: Select all

This THE SAME FELT as the DP. Everything that is known about the DP applies to this hat except block shape. This one has a better block.
Dude, you can't go around making statements like that with an authoritative tone. I hope I've made my point. Sorry to be harsh. I read these comments late last night, and they really sent me right over the edge.

Todd
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

And because the dye ran on someone else's it should be thrown out the window? I'm not trying to muddy up an facts here. I stated everything the way I know it. I'm not trying to confuse anyone here. But both sides of the argument should be shown. Your dye didn't run, his did. I'm not trying to start some sort of conspiracy here. I'm not distorting anything my friend, I'm just throwing out what I know. If I am wrong, I've already apologize for it. I'm not trying to hurt Todd or his business. I've bought from him before and had planned on doing so again.

I realize that not everyone can justify buying an Adventurebilt, Penman, Garrison, ABD. I'm not a rich man either. I am a teacher who graduated from college just last December. Believe men, I know what it is to be poor. But I would rather save my money and buy one of the aforementioned hats than spend less on another. Not everyone is like me. I know that. And the Downtowner serves those that are not like me well. There will always be introductory, middle, and high end hats. They each serve a purpose.

As for the hat being too tall. No one has to agree with me. That is my opinion. That is another reason why we have different hats to choose from. Each person has their own vision of what the Raiders hat should be. There is no need to get sour becuase I don't agree.

Dave
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

As I said, Todd, If I'm wrong, then I'm sorry. That will teach me to speak my mind on a forum.

Dave
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

DR Ulloa wrote:I have heard from more than one source in the business that Dorfman Pacific uses China to make hats, including their official Indiana Jones hat.
No wonder they're stiff!! ;)
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Kredepops,

I think you nailed it when you realized that you got a hat large enough to fit over the sculpted hair. The hat's just too big. My mannequin has the same hat on it.

But I had to sand away the "hair" to get to the "scalp". After that, this head measured 58cm. All is not lost: I'd humbly suggest, that since this hat will only be used for the mannequin, that you sand away the hair first. Then I'd take out the sweatband and remove the ribbon. Then I'd steam the living daylights out if it. Put on a kettle of water and get it to a full boil. Fill the crown with the steam to try to shrink it up (the felt doesn't really shrink easily, I have found, even when I want it to. But with enough steam, it has to shrink.) Get it really hot so you can feel the heat coming through the hat. Concentrate on the lower crown where it will fit the head. Keep putting it on the head and try to squeeze it down. I hope that would narrow the hat and take some of the fullness and height out of the crown. The center pinch will still be visible, so you can re-pinch it while it's hot. Crease the crown down to about 4 1/2" in the front, and 3 1/2" in the back. Put in on the head and tie something around the ribbon area to let it cool. Let it dry for an hour or so. Re-attach the ribbon (use hot glue of you like - it's only a mannequin) about 1/2" higher than it was. I think that'll get it. If you'd like me to do it, I'd be glad to - no charge. Shaping these hats is not the easiest.
Greengo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Greengo »

To the Dr. It is perfectly right to throw out what you know. Just remember that your words may hurt someone in the process. Try and remember that when you are teaching. Back up what you know, or think you know with proof.

That is what I have learned in 62 years.

I am done with this subject. So lets carry on with "truth".

All of the hat makers here make great products. There is room for all prices and styles. I just don't like to see anyones posessions or the products belittled. Speak your mind, but try and remember that what you say may come back and haunt you.

If I have offended you, I am sorry.

Greengo
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

DR Ulloa wrote:However, the color in this felt will run when wet and it will not become the color you are hoping for. This THE SAME FELT as the DP. Everything that is known about the DP applies to this hat except block shape.

Dave
I think the problem here, Dave, was that originally you made very concrete statements sounding as though you had more information about the hat than you did. You weren't stating this as your opinion, but fact. That's probably what riled things up.

As to the hat, I've had it for a month now, and I still love it. If you look at the comparison with the Henry, the height is not much different. Todd put in a really nice Raider's bash, while my Henry is more CS, so the humps are more pronounced. I haven't had it in the rain because in SE Washington, we don't see rain during the summer much. Hey, this may not be everyone's cup of tea. I have a longer face, so I think the height fits it pretty well...for others, probably not so much.
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Puppetboy wrote:Kredepops,

I think you nailed it when you realized that you got a hat large enough to fit over the sculpted hair. The hat's just too big. My mannequin has the same hat on it.

But I had to sand away the "hair" to get to the "scalp". After that, this head measured 58cm. All is not lost: I'd humbly suggest, that since this hat will only be used for the mannequin, that you sand away the hair first. Then I'd take out the sweatband and remove the ribbon. Then I'd steam the living daylights out if it. Put on a kettle of water and get it to a full boil. Fill the crown with the steam to try to shrink it up (the felt doesn't really shrink easily, I have found, even when I want it to. But with enough steam, it has to shrink.) Get it really hot so you can feel the heat coming through the hat. Concentrate on the lower crown where it will fit the head. Keep putting it on the head and try to squeeze it down. I hope that would narrow the hat and take some of the fullness and height out of the crown. The center pinch will still be visible, so you can re-pinch it while it's hot. Crease the crown down to about 4 1/2" in the front, and 3 1/2" in the back. Put in on the head and tie something around the ribbon area to let it cool. Let it dry for an hour or so. Re-attach the ribbon (use hot glue of you like - it's only a mannequin) about 1/2" higher than it was. I think that'll get it. If you'd like me to do it, I'd be glad to - no charge. Shaping these hats is not the easiest.
Wow, that is very kind of you Todd, however I live in Denmark, so with postal charges from Denmark to the US and back will probably cost me more than just purchacing a new size 58 hat from you :D But I may try steaming it myself! Thank you for the tutorial, I'll copy it for later reference, if I decide to try it.

Honestly I don't mind the 'big' look though :) it's more evident in pictures than in real life, and I actually like that look, reminds me of the fedora Young Indy wore in the Chicago TV episodes. It always looked slightly too big for him, but I like that look :D Maybe I'm just weird. Anyhow, I cannot bring myself to sand the hair off, hehe. :D

But I can assure you that I'm a satisfied customer. :D
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I'm not distorting anything my friend, I'm just throwing out what I know.
I'm afraid you threw out much more than you do know. Just because the "fact" gets repeated that there are "only 7 felt makers left in the world and only one is in China" doesn't nessarily make it so. If you don't know this for yourself, I wouldn't use it to jump to conclusions.
That will teach me to speak my mind on a forum.
You can speak your mind all you want! Just don't present your guesses or assumptons as fact. You'll avoid riling people up that way.

Again, I apologize for my tone. Sorry , sorry, sorry! I'll go back and edit the nasty bits out of my mean post. I think that's the only "mean post" I've written. I'll have to "up" my meds.

Todd
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

"IndyGear is the search for FACT not Truth." - Paraphrase Jones

Randy
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Greengo wrote:To the Dr. It is perfectly right to throw out what you know. Just remember that your words may hurt someone in the process. Try and remember that when you are teaching. Back up what you know, or think you know with proof.

That is what I have learned in 62 years.

I am done with this subject. So lets carry on with "truth".

All of the hat makers here make great products. There is room for all prices and styles. I just don't like to see anyones posessions or the products belittled. Speak your mind, but try and remember that what you say may come back and haunt you.

If I have offended you, I am sorry.

Greengo
In all my time here I have never been more insulted. DON'T tell me how to do my job! Saying you are sorry and that you hope you haven't offended me doesn't make it right. Have 62 years of experience taught you that?

Todd, I'm cool with you. I was wrong and I'm sorry. Not much more I can do.

Dave
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Okay, guys, let's cool our jets. Agree to disagree and move on.
Greengo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Greengo »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Okay, guys, let's cool our jets. Agree to disagree and move on.

Made my feelings clear in my post. I don't want to argue with anyone. Dr., think what you want.

BinkmeisterRick, you will not hear anything more from me on this matter.

Greengo
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

people can say what they want, but i still ordered mine and i think it looks great --- and i'll like it even better when i get it later this week , todd you have superior stuff my friend that is why i have bought so many things from you , you are a fan of INDIANA JONES too, and i think you know what you want to sell has to appeal to many fans who want to dress like their favorite archeologist( hope i spelled that correct) so i await with great aniticipation :TOH:
Last edited by indyclone on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

archeologist
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Is this the jacket forum? :shock: :lol:

Some DP hats are made in China, but not all. The fur felt DP is but it's felt isn't like this hat of Todd's.

The special limited edtion I-J fur felt DP was made in USA, but also priced around $400.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Its archaeologist. From archae-meaning old or ancient and ologist-meaning ologist ;)
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

RCSignals wrote:Is this the jacket forum? :shock: :lol:

Some DP hats are made in China, but not all. The fur felt DP is but it's felt isn't like this hat of Todd's.

The special limited edtion I-J fur felt DP was made in USA, but also priced around $400.

and for being priced at 400 dollars the special limited it isnt any better looking than my 40 dollar dorfman i bought- but from the pics of todds downtowner it looks nice and in my opinion a lot better bash then the dorfman, and i wear my dorfman everywhere! but this todds fedora is a nice hat for less money and for a lot of us who can't drop 300- 400 bucks on a hat you just can't beat it .
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Hollowpond wrote:Its archaeologist. From archae-meaning old or ancient and ologist-meaning ologist ;)
archèos+lògos :tup:
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

archaīos+logia actualy :P in wich the "logia" suffix means 'to speak of' It has three spelling variants in English: archeology, archaeology and archæology, of which the latter two are most correct ;)

Regards, Geert
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

perfect
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

my downtowner should be here tomorrow --- if i can just get over this cold , hopefully tomorrow i'll feel better and then i will take pics of the hat
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Is it possible to get these hats without the stiffener? Is the stiffner something that is added before shipping?
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

I don't think you can get the hat without stiffener, but that's one for Todd to answer.

As I posted, I've had this hat for just over a month, and I love it. I love the fact that it's quite different from my Fed IV or Henry in that it is really stiff... yet, it has the Indy look down very well. It is a tad taller than my Henry, but with my longer face, it seems to fit well. The hat is comfortable and I actually really like the color. I'm glad I bought it.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

well i got my downtowner today --- late tho it was about 5 pm central time when i got it , took some quick webcam pics but will have better pics tomorrow , hope you like have to go out tonight but will have some better pics---it does look tall in the crown but my measurement was only 5 inches

Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

Indyclone, your hat looks great. I think you'll really like it.

I've had mine for about a month now, and I have to say I really like this hat. It's lost some of it's stiffness over time (and with some light abuse), and I reshaped the brim and took the crown height down about 1/4 of an inch. I mainly bought it to wear, abuse and display. So far it's been left in my car all day in 100+ degree heat, soaked in a rain storm, and steamed and reshaped at least 3 times. I really like the way it holds its shape, and I think I may actually prefer the taller crown (compared to my Keppler, HJ and Feds).

Here are a couple of pictures I took today:

IMO, this is a really good hat for the money.

Scott
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

What does the lining look like? Would someone please post a picture?
I like what I'm reading here, I leaning hard towards a purchase.
Mike