Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

So wait???

Post by your ghost host »

I Need more help!!!

is Indy's jacket (used in raiders) A cowhide, lambskin or goatskin? :-k

I thought it was a goatskin until I read "Indy gear" and they said it was lamb skin

But now today my friend said it was cowhide #-o #-o #-o

So which one is it?!?!
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: So wait???

Post by PSBIndy »

It's lamb.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

If you'd like to do some reading 8-[] ...

http://www.indygear.com/igjacket-RotLA.html
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Thank you so much :clap: :notworthy: :clap: :notworthy: :clap: :notworthy:

I didn't want to order the wrong thing

that would stink :shock:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Not trying to come off as being an a- hole, but how can this seriously still be a question?

Kyle
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I can see how this can be a question if your new to this place and new to this hobby.

not everybody knows everything.

but yes it is Lambskin in the 3 first movies, cowhide in the 4rth.

good luck on your order. be sure to post pictures.

bests
Holt
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

To be honest, I pretty much thought of all leather as cowhide before I got into it. I just hadn't really given it much thought before.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Being new here, and seeing all these guys posting pics of goatskin jackets that look SA, I could see it easy to get confused as to what the actual jackets were made of....

~Jace
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Thank Again guys :clap: :clap: i will hopefully get my jacket soon and I will try to remember to post pics [-o<
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Indiana Holt wrote:I can see how this can be a question if your new to this place and new to this hobby.

not everybody knows everything.

but yes it is Lambskin in the 3 first movies, cowhide in the 4rth.

good luck on your order. be sure to post pictures.

bests
Holt
Yes I realize that there are new members here, but that is what the search is for

Kyle
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

And searches here can turn up the most un-helpful information. Before asking a question here I search, and 9 out of 10 times, I still need to ask because the searches we make around here are pretty ambiguious.

I know how it is being new. Heck I still have a ways to go. I didn't know that all 3 of the OT were lamb. I suspected goat for LC.

Randy
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

This is true. Sometimes the search function doesnt understand what you are asking it. Everyone was new to a hobby at some point. I remember one time on a forum someone asked how to make fiberglass, they wondered if they were supposed to go buy pink insulation foam and boil it. Imagine what would have happened if no one stepped in and said ok, before you do anything, glad you asked.

To stay on topic, Some people prefer Lamb, because it is screen accurate(which is what SA means in case you were wondering.) Lamb is very soft, and in my opinion makes a nice spring/fall jacket. Goat is great, heavier but not as heavy as cowhide. I wish I had a goat jacket. Cowhide is what most jackets are made of.

If you ask what vendor to go with, or which hide to go with, you will get many different answers. Thats one topic where the search function will help. Or melt your brain with the arguing.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

theinterchange wrote:And searches here can turn up the most un-helpful information. Before asking a question here I search, and 9 out of 10 times, I still need to ask because the searches we make around here are pretty ambiguious.

I know how it is being new. Heck I still have a ways to go. I didn't know that all 3 of the OT were lamb. I suspected goat for LC.

Randy
True, you sometimes have to play with different combinations with teh search.

Some people have said the LC may well have been Cow. There is a discussion or two about it if you search ;)
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Hey guys if anybody is still visiting one more question. for a Wested jacket how do you tell what it is made out of? is there a way to tell just from pics? because the person I am PMing doen't know so I am guessing it is not on the labal but I could be wronge.

Thanks again guys
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I don't think it's possible to be definitively be able to tell exactly what kind of leather a jacket is made out of just by going from pictures... Especially considering the age old debate about cow/lamb with regards to the LC jacket here on Club Obi-Wan alone! ;)
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

i just want to say thanks one more time and I should post pics ASAP :clap: :D
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

if any one is still here i plan on posting pics in my friends jacket so you can see the size then you can tell me if it is O.K.
thanks again
:H:
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

nm
:Dietrich:
Insomniac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Insomniac »

"NM"= Nevermind
Nevermind what?
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

I think he's somehow convinced that since he didn't get a responce to his before-last post we are not interested in seeing those pics :-k

if that's so, well..... ;0

Pics almost always get reponces from us pic-hungry gearheads ;)

Regards, Geert
Insomniac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Insomniac »

;0 I WANT TO SEE THIS JACKET!!!
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Actually the Raiders jacket was made of Sheepskin, which still is the same animal but a different age group, LC and TOD were lamb.

:)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Since when Dutch?
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

RCSignals wrote:Since when Dutch?
EH.... Since Peter confirmed it was sheepskin, and since several leather experts said the same? ;)
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

If I recall correctly this New Zealand "Morino" (or whatever they are called) are sheepskin.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

PLATON wrote:If I recall correctly this New Zealand "Morino" (or whatever they are called) are sheepskin.
Yes indeed Merino is the Australian or NZ sheepskin :)
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

_ wrote:
Dutch_jones wrote:
EH.... Since Peter confirmed it was sheepskin, and since several leather experts said the same? ;)
Correct - old lamb with character... Whether it's called lamb or sheep is about a 50/50 push when you talk to people on the wholesale side of this - but it is technically sheep. Ever seen some of the B6 repros from Eastman or RMNZ? That is sheep skin with the sheerling left intact on the inside. I have a Aero Bronco A2 repro made from sheered sheepskin, and it is wicked cool!
Got any pics of that?
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Cool thanks !but to get on topic, I don't think any of the vendors have ever made a raiders jacket in Merino sheepskin.

So your closest option is indeed Lambskin !:D
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

thank you ! that is a VERY interesting texture. It looks very close to lamb but a bit more textured than that.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Dutch_jones wrote:
Unfortunately, there's been any number of confirmations through the years. So much so that I sometimes, as I've said before, feel like Theseus trying to navigate through them all.

But I would certainly be willing to concede that it may have been a particular brand of sheep if you'll concede that a special process may have been used on the sheepskin. :P
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

_ wrote:I do have a close-up of the hide from a previous request... The lighting is weird - it looks much more "seal brown" in the flesh...

I've seen some similar texture on some recent Indy jackets.....forget the manufacturer, maybe one of you can help me out.... :[ :-
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

_ wrote:
In fairness, Peter was calling it "sheep" back in 2000, and "genetically" there is no difference. "We" the consumers think there is because we associate "sheep" with the shearling product and "lamb" with the "nude" product. They are the same thing. Just as calfskin and cowhide are the same. Just as veal and beef are the same.

Very true and thanks for clarifying that for me. My suggestion is that, if we accept that it was this type of animal that, at least for some jackets, the shrinking process could have been applied which brought out the grains and striations of this particular skin.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

_ wrote:
crismans wrote:
_ wrote:
In fairness, Peter was calling it "sheep" back in 2000, and "genetically" there is no difference. "We" the consumers think there is because we associate "sheep" with the shearling product and "lamb" with the "nude" product. They are the same thing. Just as calfskin and cowhide are the same. Just as veal and beef are the same.

Very true and thanks for clarifying that for me. My suggestion is that, if we accept that it was this type of animal that, at least for some jackets, the shrinking process could have been applied which brought out the grains and striations of this particular skin.
And the shrinking process may narrow the height of the shoulder yoke... (grin)

you are making a joke of course, but to simply say there are no 'shrunken lamb' skins that are large enough to make a jacket would be wrong.

Interesting the conjecture seems to be it takes an adult sheep skin to make a Raiders jacket but lambskin will make a LC or ToD jacket :-k
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

_ wrote:
RCSignals wrote:you are making a joke of course, but to simply say there are no 'shrunken lamb' skins that are large enough to make a jacket would be wrong.
Yes, I am joking... But the question about skin size is an issue for A2's That one-piece back is very large when the jacket gets above a 48. The Indy jacket is easier as the panel is significantly smaller than that for an A2. Especially when they're trying for uniform grain on the hide.
I agree an A2 is a different issue, especially with grain uniformity, but then they are also using different skins.

OT but I notice for A2's Cooper used to make a little trimming effect to the lower sides of the back piece that other's didn't.