do wested indy pants still taper?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

do wested indy pants still taper?

Post by Red Dust »

do wested indy pants still taper? they never seam to cover the boot as the trousers in the film do? was wondering if theyve sorted it out yet?
ravencrow
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: do wested indy pants still taper?

Post by ravencrow »

got mine just last year and mine do, i kinda like it though better for bagginess
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Got mine today, and they taper quite a bit...

indygr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indygr »

Yes, they taper a bit.

I would advise you to flat iron them first and then take them to a tailor and enlarge the area from the knees to the ankles and "take out" extra material below the waist underneath the crotch in order to achieve a straighter cut.

Indygr
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

I took your advice Indygr, and will post pics when the trousers come back from the tailor.

For his part the tailor is skeptical that much can be done. Wested doesn't give much inseam material to work with, so my tailor thinks at the most I'll have another half inch to work with when all is said and done...
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

To answer your question. Yes they taper and they will continue to taper until Peter comes up with the new pattern.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

indygr wrote:Yes, they taper a bit.

I would advise you to flat iron them first and then take them to a tailor and enlarge the area from the knees to the ankles and "take out" extra material below the waist underneath the crotch in order to achieve a straighter cut.

Indygr
That's almost remaking the whole pant.
Be careful, taking out extra material underneath the crotch can just result in a lower crotch.
indygr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indygr »

That's almost remaking the whole pant.
Be careful, taking out extra material underneath the crotch can just result in a lower crotch.
True! An other way is to take out excess material from the external part of the trousers. I am not an expert in sewing, so your tailor should have the last word on the matter.

Indygr
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

So I received my Wested Indy Pants back from the tailor. There wasn't much inseam material to work with, but he managed to increase the cuff width from 8.5 inches to just a hair over 9, maybe 9.25. He left the crotch area alone, which I think was a good call.

The pants don't look much different, but they do feel looser at the calf and ankle:

Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

sorry for a late reply... i just got my mum to use the extra material from the inside of the trouser there was about 1cm on each side of the leg which freed about 2cm... and they look better.. will get a few pick with aldens on here soon

reed dust
indygr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indygr »

Yes, they indeed look much better than before! The only thing you can do right now to make them look more indy-ish, is to remove the creases with an iron.

From the pics I can judge that you have a 36 or a 38 waist...I understand your taper concerns...For a 36 waist pants the ankle area should be much larger...I ll try to post pictures of my pants which they are a bit altered and 34 waist to show you the difference.

Indygr
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

I'd like to see those pics too. I'm in the pants market and collecting all the info I can.

Thanks,
B
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey All,

I've seen so many topics like this and I've held my peace :#: but I can hold it no longer. Indy's pants must taper, they must. Years ago I remember seeing some women wearing pants without any taper. They started at the turn of the tush and went straight down in back and straight down from the hip bone in front. The hem of these pants covered their entire foot and shoe plus some.

Indy's pants will always taper. Here's the thing. To look like HF in Indy's pants you must be HF's body double, and most of us aren't. If you have a larger waist line than HF and smallish feet, your pants will look un-tapered, but they're not. If you're thin and have relatively big feet, they'll look really tapered. Either way, they'll have taper.

The best any of us can do is to get well fitting pants and shoes. Then, make sure the hem of the pants covers the same amount of shoe that HF's pants covered. Then, If you're still unhappy with the look of things, you can go to the gym (if that's the problem ;) ) or try to make some adjustment to create the optical illusion of HF's size and shape.

For example, you could get bigger shoes (if you have small feet) and have them made to fit your foot (or stuff them with news paper) so you get the proportions closer. Either way, the pants will taper. Sorry about the rant, but try making a few pairs of pants and you'll see. They taper. Oh, a final thought. :-k If you see a fit person wearing well fitting BDUs, (with or without blousing the hem) they will look un-tapered, but they're not, they're tapered. And that by the way, is why the Military hem is challenging to do, but that's for a different thread. 'Nough said.

Dan S
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

I must agree that all trousers do taper,but I do have a thought!

If KOTCS is set in 1957,it may be a safe bet that Indy V may well be set in the swinging sixties.
Will we all be needing FLARED trousers then :-k :lol: :lol: .

groovy baby

ID