Walter Donovan's homburg

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Walter Donovan's homburg

Post by Snapbrim76 »

I'm sure I'm not the only person who likes Walter Donovan's silver/grey homburg hat in the "Germany has declared war on the Jones brothers" scene. I just can't find anywhere that makes homburgs in any other colour (color) than black. I've been to SAB in London and their business has almost completely diminished to just the Indy (Poet) hats. I've also tried Lock & Co (in the same street) and Bates Hats in nearby Jermyn Street. Their only grey homburgs aren't open crown, plus they are dented (pinched) at the front. Generally the shape is too manufactured by comparison to a traditional open crown. Lock & Co do make open crown homburgs but they only come in black or dark grey and they're a wide brim (2 7/8") and high crown. They look more like the pencil-roll cowboy hats of the 19th century. Walter Donovan looks the perfect gent in his homburg and - as I've stated before in other posts - I'm fed up with cowboy hat comments. Maybe I'm gonna have buy online which, to be honest, is gamble as to whether or not it'll fit. Still, I'm determined to find one - any suggestions?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Walter Donovan's homburg

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Penman Hats is the way to go. John will be able to recreate the homburg to the specs you are interested in. John has made a few custom hats already and everyone has raved.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Or even Art Fawcett of TFL. He specializes in all hats vintage. And has the right blocks to boot. Honestly, if I were after a non Indy fedora, I would check Art out. He has a block for every hat, and this is so important. Fedora
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

That's a very good point Steve. However, we've seen some of John's custom jobs and they are beautiful. Another point ti take into account is that now Art is not only sewing his sweats in by machine but is also using a pounce machine. John's hats are completely hand made from start to finish, just like yours. This is a deal breaker or maker for me.

Dave
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Another point ti take into account is that now Art is not only sewing his sweats in by machine but is also using a pounce machine. John's hats are completely hand made from start to finish, just like yours. This is a deal breaker or maker for me.

Oh, yeah, Art must have gotten a sweatband machine. NO wonder his lead times stay fairly brief. Art has always used a pouncing machine, but honestly, I see nothing wrong with that. It actually gives a better pounce, if you follow it up with a little hand pouncing. This pouncing machine is a really big time saver too. So, again, no wonder Art can crank out some hats. But, in so far as vintage hats are concerned, I can't think of a better guy to replicate something like a homburg. It takes a particular block, to make those, (I don't own any) and Art would have that block. Plus he uses a sandbaggar, which is very important in creating that homburg styled brim. Not that you can't do it without the sandbag, but it just makes for a better brim.

But no doubt John could not make one too. Just saying.......Fedora
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

No, I understand you completely. That really is more Art's department. I'd just rather give my money to guys like you and John is all. ;)

Dave
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

No, I understand you completely. That really is more Art's department. I'd just rather give my money to guys like you and John is all.

Dave
And ALL of us love you for that Dave!!! It is so nice to have a great fan base. And all of us deeply appreciate you guys. Plus, we are one of YOU. Indy fans first and foremost.

Although some sites have dissed us for being "trekkie like" that is so far from the truth. We are all about good durable, accurate gear, and we share more in common with those "other sites" than we differ. Most of us really appreciate high quality, like in the era of vintage gear. Fedora
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thats the reason why I keep going back to John, and in about two weeks back to you for another hat. You guys make high quality stuff. I am not ashamed to admit that I am a bit of a hat snob. I will only wear something that I think is high quality on my head. I know that most people don't think like me and thats fine, to each his own, but I want only the best. And just becuase something is vintage doesn't mean it is high quality. There are a lot of really good vintage hats out there but there are even more bad vintage hats out there. And the good ones in my size fetch such a high price, that I can't justify them. I would much rather go custom and have EXACTLY what I want made. So, to bring this back on topic, I would most definately ask John if he can make you this hat (no doubt he can).

Dave
Barcelona Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Barcelona Jones »

There are factory homburgs around, and in different colours, in fur felt. Depending on your budget, this could be the way to go.

Here, for instance...

http://www.hats-plus.com/default.aspx

http://www.hats-plus.com/SearchResult.a ... ds=homburg

This said, I second the Art Fawcett option if you go custom. He has the right materials (block, flange, etc). First rate products.

Regards!
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

A less expensive option, often times REALLY nice vintage homburgs turn up on Ebay. I got a nice grey one in the original box with a pair of matching kid gloves fore under $50 shipped. It's an old Stetson St Regis. That, I have to admit, is unusual, but they can often be found in excellent condition for under $100 as they're not nearly as popular as fedoras.
All told, a custom would be really nice, but just thought I'd throw in a solid, less expensive choice.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... G_0090.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... 0091-1.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... G_0093.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... 0094-1.jpg
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

A less expensive option, often times REALLY nice vintage homburgs turn up on Ebay.
Yes, indeed. The homburgs are not as highly sought after as the fedoras. I used to guy a homburg for next to nothing, and then take off the brim binding, iron out the brim and make a vintage Indy fedora from it. They work well too, due to many were made with straighter blocks, but not all. Fedora