you guys are giving me a complex

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

ravencrow
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

you guys are giving me a complex

Post by ravencrow »

I ordered all my stuff last year through trial and error before i even was able to join this community.
i ordered all Wested gear and was very excited when i got it...
fast forward a year later and here i am reading all this info backtracking quite a bit for some of it. My point is now i'm reading up on the jacket and after so much discrepancies i find my self now measuring my own jacket. Which is retarded, I ordered a 44 thats all i needed, and it fits perfect... no issues. Now some stuff that's written i don't understand just because i don't quite know jacket lingo, I know back, front, sleeves, collar, stuff like that.
There really is in my mind, no such thing as a perfectly SA jacket unless its shot for shot, because there were too many jackets used for filming even more so for Raiders because of them having to order more.
One of the stunt men even brought his Raiders jacket to all the films he was a part of so doesn't that count as a SA jacket for all movies as well. Either way i know it's all in fun and this is an escape and what not, and I'm not saying to stop at all but thank you for this developing complex I'll add it to the others

PS. as soon as i can afford a Tony Nowak, I'll get one
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: you guys are giving me a complex

Post by CM »

Sounds like you've got it, Kid... ;)
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I know exactly how you are feeling. :)
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Basically, it all comes down to what makes you happy. If you like your jacket and it makes you happy, then that's what matters. I went the completely SA path for a little while but I've since calmed down. Now I try to go for a balance of SA and real-world durability.

But, again, it's what YOU want as far as length and the rest goes. Most of my jackets are a little longer than SA but I like a longer jacket.
ravencrow
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ravencrow »

when it come to the whip holder i have to go with something that don't let the whip move so i tend to make my own as well as belt and just made my first holster on the back of the belt is written fortune and glory..
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I think that's the sad truth (with regards to the first post). Most of us have traded in that sense of magic that got us started in the first place, for a perfection that most of us will likely never attain.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That can only occur if you allow the SA fans to sway your original opinion or reason for pursuing an item.

Only YOU can let that happen.

Personally, I wear 'Michaelson gear' 24/7, and am ALWAYS S.A. in that respect! :M: :tup: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

well said Mark :tup:

Take Michaelson great advice, it really says it all...

Im saying this because the hunt for the whole hard SA gear is really difficult and really comes in the way of enjoying the gear. And this is comming from the hard SA fan himself so I know what im talking about...

along with Marks words I will say keep it simple...
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Michaleson's right. There are some people that are going for as SA as they can get. And there's nothing wrong with that at all if that's what you are interested in. But don't let it sway you if you're not that into the details and let it ruin your purchase. There's also different degrees. I want my pockets, collar, and such to be as SA as I can get them but I don't mind a little extra length in the jackets.

Bottom line is it's all down to personal preference. What you want out of your gear.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

You know, I've never seen any jacket from any of our vendors that was ugly. Not all may be totaly SA, but who's going to notice anyway, right? ;)

I always compare it to music: You can either enjoy it by picking it appart and marveling at all the little technical details or you can simply enjoy a good tune. Neither is wrong, and neither is for everyone. Just enjoy the music in your own way and listen to the versions of the songs you like best. As it is you who has to enjoy listening to them, why even worry what others might say about the song/that version of the song?

Regards, Geert
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

gwyddion wrote:You know, I've never seen any jacket from any of our vendors that was ugly. Not all may be totaly SA, but who's going to notice anyway, right? ;)

I always compare it to music: You can either enjoy it by picking it appart and marveling at all the little technical details or you can simply enjoy a good tune. Neither is wrong, and neither is for everyone. Just enjoy the music in your own way and listen to the versions of the songs you like best. As it is you who has to enjoy listening to them, why even worry what others might say about the song/that version of the song?

Regards, Geert

I have seen some ugly and poorly made jackets, actually.

But I do agree that the quest for SA can get pretty stupid. To borrow your music metaphor; it reminds me of some people I know who are audiophiles - they love their stereos and how they can reproduce music, but they don't actually enjoy the music.

I think the important thing about this site is that it can guide you into buying a better product. If this wasn't here I'd be wearing a bad A2 thinking it was a good Indy jacket. I may have been happy but I would have been wrong and misguided. ;)
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

I think a gearhead kind of goes through stages.

At first, you just want "the look" and settle for close enoughs and inexpensive items, once you accomplished that then you want the real deal from the actual makers. Then you realize that the stuff from the actual makers aren't as SA as some of the stuff produced by others. After a while, there's a compromise and a gearhead will mix and match their gear.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Michaelson wrote:
Personally, I wear 'Michaelson gear' 24/7, and am ALWAYS S.A. in that respect!

Regards! Michaelson
Can you suggest a good vendor for that? :M:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Sure! Anyone I obtain gear from. ;) :Plymouth:

Regards! Michaelson