Western Stage Props Bullwhip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

scots72
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Western Stage Props Bullwhip

Post by scots72 »

Hello everyone. I purchased an Indy model whip from Western Stage Props back in 2005 and I'm just curious if someone would tell me who the maker is.
Thanks in advance!

Oh, I have pictures, but haven't read yet how to post them.
BullWhipBorton

Re: Western Stage Props Bullwhip

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Hi, Most likely it was Joe Strain, he was making a lot of there Indy bullwhips at that time. It could have also been Paul Nolan or Russell Shultze though. Post a pic and we can probably tell you who made it for sure.

In order to post a photo here, you have to host the image at a site like photobucket or imageshack. Then copy the image link from there, to here between these fourm command promps [img]YourImageLinkhere[/img]

Dan
scots72
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by scots72 »

Great, I will do that. Thanks for your help, Dan. It's great to be here and know that I'm not the only crazy Indy fan!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Certainly looks Strainish to me! :whip:

Travis
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

I think it is definitely one of Joe's whips in saddle tan (Mark Allen at WSP calls it "medium brown"). It looks almost exactly like one of my Strain whips, made around the same time. There are many little details here and there that set it apart from Paul's work. It would be good if either Joe or Paul can confirm what we have here, as both are members.

Regards,

Bernardo
Last edited by Bernardodc on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JStrain
Vendor

Post by JStrain »

That is one of mine. It was a special request as evidenced by the 4 bight heel knot.
I tied a 6 bight heel knot on all of the whips sent to WSP unless requested otherwise.
~Joe
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

That explains it, thanks Joe.
scots72
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by scots72 »

Thanks for all the info. It's a great whip, Joe, but I never requested anything special when I ordered it. Maybe they had an extra one lying around!
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

scots72 wrote:Thanks for all the info. It's a great whip, Joe, but I never requested anything special when I ordered it. Maybe they had an extra one lying around!
I remember at the 2005 WWAC convention that at the WSP booth there was one of Joe's whips with the 4 bight heel knot, and I asked them about it, and they said it was a special order that ended up canceling. What month in 2005 did you get it? I wonder if it is the same whip...

Regards,

Paul Nolan
http://www.midwestwhips.com
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

I like WSP. They were the first vendor that I knew that carried Indy whips.
scots72
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by scots72 »

Except for David Morgan, which I would have bought but they were out of my price range at the time!
scots72
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by scots72 »

BY THE WAY...!

Has anyone else on here seen the STARLOG #96 issue??? I used to have a copy of it, but apparently it got lost in one of several moves I have had. There is an article about how to dress like Indiana Jones! It listed CATTLE BARON LEATHER COMPANY as a vendor of authentic Indy style bullwhips, and even went so far as to say that their whips would allow you to swing across a bottomless pit, which, from what I've read on here, is absolute BS!!! I remember there is even an ad for that company in the back of that magazine, selling 10' bullwhips for 425 dollars (if I remember correctly). I have googled the company, however, and found that they must no longer be in business. Anyone heard? The article was clearly not well researched, however, as I remember doubting the author's choice of bag, jacket and pants...Check it out, Indy fans. STARLOG #96...
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Hi!
On two counts: Firstly I actually bought one of the Cattle Baron whips back in 1983 or so, ´cept I saw the advert in Guns & Ammo, not Starlog :lol: It was a pretty good whip, but not SA at all. As I recall it had a solid leather core and a bolster and could´ve been a 10 or 12 plait. I wish I still had it. I´ve also looked into Cattle Baron on the net and I believe it is now defunct.
Secondly, I recently picked up one of Joe´s WSP whips with the 6 bight heel knot. Here is a pic for comparison. It is a 12 footer in saddle tan. The guy I bought it from never used it, although he kept it conditioned. It´s from 2005.

Thwak! :whip:
IndianaBravo